PDA

View Full Version : Kareem Abdul-Jabbar says the NBA should raise its minimum age.

NYKnickFanatic
05-12-2010, 09:34 PM
OMAHA, Neb. -- Kareem Abdul-Jabbar says the NBA should raise its minimum age for entry into the league to 21.

The NBA's career scoring leader and center on the Los Angeles Lakers' 1980s "Showtime" teams said Wednesday there's a disturbing sense of entitlement among many of today's young pros.

"They get precocious kids from high school who think they're rock stars -- 'Where's my $30 million?' " said Abdul-Jabbar, who was in Omaha to speak at the B'nai B'rith sports banquet. "The attitudes have changed, and the game has suffered because of that, and it has certainly hurt the college game."

The NBA in 2005 changed its entry age to 19. Players who previously might have jumped from high school to the NBA now end up playing one year of college ball before declaring for the draft.

Those players are still too young, Abdul-Jabbar said, and many deprive themselves of the emotional and physical maturity necessary to meet on- and off-the-court challenges.

"When I played, the players had to go to college and earn their way onto the court, meaning that there were upperclassmen ahead of them," he said. "Players who had to go through that and had to go to class, when they got to be professional athletes, they were a lot better qualified."

Kevin Garnett, Kobe Bryant and LeBron James became stars right out of high school. The day after James all but disappeared in Cleveland's playoff loss to Boston, Abdul-Jabbar said even "King James" would have benefited from college.

"He would have come into the professional ranks very polished, given his innate gifts," Abdul-Jabbar said. "Having to go through a college system would have made him a total gem as soon as he stepped out of the college ranks."

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=5184291

Wont happen, but, thoughts?

Draco
05-12-2010, 09:35 PM
I agree.

MGB
05-12-2010, 09:36 PM
I think they should lower it back down to 18. Why waste scholarships on guys who don't want to go to college? The whole idea of "student athletes" in basketball is a mockery of one's intelligence.

DerekRE_3
05-12-2010, 09:38 PM
Make it 18. If you can go to war, you should be able to play basketball.

what54!?
05-12-2010, 09:39 PM
Make it 18. If you can go to war, you should be able to play basketball.I kinda actually agree with this statement :laugh2:

blacknell
05-12-2010, 09:49 PM
i'm all for 18 to do everything in America if you can die for this country at 18 you can become pro at 18

RipVW
05-12-2010, 09:50 PM

Nice try. Just because someone may be able to pass the bar exam, that doesnt mean they can set for the exam without the proper qualifications.

JNA17
05-12-2010, 09:52 PM

i actually.......agree? :D

MTone8788
05-12-2010, 09:54 PM
Kareem was on Full House!

MGB
05-12-2010, 09:55 PM
Nice try. Just because someone may be able to pass the bar exam, that doesnt mean they can set for the exam without the proper qualifications.

Or sit for the bar exam. At any rate, I don't get your logic...

Ray_R
05-12-2010, 09:57 PM

Bring down the drinking age also. :hi5:

Wilson
05-12-2010, 09:59 PM
I agree with him. The statement about being able to join the army at 18 is fair, but don't forget that when in the army you're often learning other skills which can be put to use in later life.

There are plenty of guys who come out of college early but don't actually find much success in the NBA. If they had qualifications from college it would be very useful for people like those.

I understand that excelling on the court and in the classroom is an extremely challenging thing to do, especially in the more prestigious NCAA programs, but in the end it could be extremely beneficial for students who go through it.

MGB
05-12-2010, 10:03 PM
I agree with him. The statement about being able to join the army at 18 is fair, but don't forget that when in the army you're often learning other skills which can be put to use in later life.

There are plenty of guys who come out of college early but don't actually find much success in the NBA. If they had qualifications from college it would be very useful for people like those.

I understand that excelling on the court and in the classroom is an extremely challenging thing to do, especially in the more prestigious NCAA programs, but in the end it could be extremely beneficial for students who go through it.

The graduation rate for virtually all half-way decent programs are absurdely low, so the argument that college would be useful is bogus...

Most of them "goto college" and take BS classes that don't lead toward any kind of degree. It's just wasting scholarships and money that could go toward real students.

JNA17
05-12-2010, 10:06 PM
Bring down the drinking age also. :hi5:

**** that, eliminate the age limit all together man!!!

Babies drinking beer ftw!!!

http://www.geckotales.com/baby-picture-4.jpg

SeoulBeatz
05-12-2010, 10:07 PM
the rules won't change, but Kareem def has a good point.

soooo much potential is wasted because half these kids are retards with huge egos who don't know how to manage their money.

you want to be a legend? u gotta be levelheaded and u gotta have a high bball IQ.

otherwise you will be the next Gerald Green, Kwame, Sebastian Telfair, and countless others who were spoiled by entitlement and didn't learn what hard work in basketball is all about.

this applies to everything in life as well, experience is key.

go to school kids.

DerekRE_3
05-12-2010, 10:09 PM

For the most part, the whole student athlete thing is a complete joke. They just major in a BS major, take the minimum amount of classes, try to stay eligible, and then leave without getting a degree. Plus, after Brandon Jennings success with playing in Europe for a year, you may see more kids try to do that as well. Bottom line is, it should be up to the person. If you want to go to college, great. If you want to try to jump right to the NBA, it should be your choice. I just hate the whole "protecting people from themselves" BS.

DerekRE_3
05-12-2010, 10:10 PM
the rules won't change, but Kareem def has a good point.

soooo much potential is wasted because half these kids are retards with huge egos who don't know how to manage their money.

you want to be a legend? u gotta be levelheaded and u gotta have a high bball IQ.

otherwise you will be the next Gerald Green, Kwame, Sebastian Telfair, and countless others who were spoiled by entitlement and didn't learn what hard work in basketball is all about.

this applies to everything in life as well, experience is key.

go to school kids.

You're right, but it should still be left up to them to make that decision. If they think they can do it, then let them try. If they fail...hey that's life. Not everyone is going to succeed.

GSW Hoops
05-12-2010, 10:21 PM
I agree with Kareem, but how's this for an idea: Kids can play professional basketball as young as they please, but only in the D-League, and with a maximum salary of 100k. They can't "graduate" to the NBA until 21.

This lets them mature (emotionally as well as skill wise) and allows them to make a living wage that isn't outrageous.

Voodoo Alchemy
05-12-2010, 10:30 PM
this is why kareem still can't find a coaching job, he lacks communication skills. what he really meant to say was that he's jealous of all these guy making millions while he had to hold a sign "will play for food".

MGB
05-12-2010, 10:33 PM
I agree with Kareem, but how's this for an idea: Kids can play professional basketball as young as they please, but only in the D-League, and with a maximum salary of 100k. They can't "graduate" to the NBA until 21.

This lets them mature (emotionally as well as skill wise) and allows them to make a living wage that isn't outrageous.

I kinda like that idea actually, BUT I also think that the players would develop much better on an NBA squad, with an NBA coach and NBA players around them to help them out.

marlinsfan24
05-12-2010, 10:36 PM
Agreed with Kareem. This would definitely benefit the league and college basketball as well.

Wilson
05-12-2010, 10:44 PM
The graduation rate for virtually all half-way decent programs are absurdely low, so the argument that college would be useful is bogus...

Most of them "goto college" and take BS classes that don't lead toward any kind of degree. It's just wasting scholarships and money that could go toward real students.

For the most part, the whole student athlete thing is a complete joke. They just major in a BS major, take the minimum amount of classes, try to stay eligible, and then leave without getting a degree. Plus, after Brandon Jennings success with playing in Europe for a year, you may see more kids try to do that as well. Bottom line is, it should be up to the person. If you want to go to college, great. If you want to try to jump right to the NBA, it should be your choice. I just hate the whole "protecting people from themselves" BS.

I should have clarified that I think these kids should want to push themselves in the classroom. It would be na´ve of me to expect them to want to do that, I just wish they did.

It's a good point about Europe though. With different leagues around the world getting better, it must be hard for young players to resist that opportunity.

I kinda like that idea actually, BUT I also think that the players would develop much better on an NBA squad, with an NBA coach and NBA players around them to help them out.

Even in the D-league players would have some access to NBA level coaching and training regimes.

If nothing else, it would be good to see high school players receive honest advice on what to do with their careers. It's easy for NBA and college coaches to tell a guy to sign with them, knowing that he's a 50-50 guy who can easily be replaced if he doesn't pan out. There should be a neutral third party who can advise the young players on their best options.

boysbullsbraves
05-12-2010, 10:49 PM
Kareem should shut his pie hole. I bet he is cashing his nice check from the ncaa.

mattcribbin
05-12-2010, 10:51 PM
I think colleges should get rid of football and basketball. Let the guys who want to go pro compete in the D leagues and pay them a salary. It just annoys me that these guys get scholarships and major in gettling laid and playing their sport. They don't belong in college. All they want to do is play ball so let them do that for a salary in the D league.

Sadds The Gr8
05-12-2010, 10:57 PM
Do I sense fear from someone who might have their all-time scoring record broken????:p

YourTeamSucks
05-12-2010, 10:59 PM
he's old he doesn't know any better

GSW Hoops
05-12-2010, 11:11 PM
he's old he doesn't know any better

Nice analysis :facepalm:

SeoulBeatz
05-12-2010, 11:32 PM
You're right, but it should still be left up to them to make that decision. If they think they can do it, then let them try. If they fail...hey that's life. Not everyone is going to succeed.

true true

td0tsfinest
05-12-2010, 11:36 PM
I think it will give us better basketball. Rookies coming into the league are more seasoned and better prepared for the nba. There are so many guys that could have used an extra year or two of college and would have really benefited from it.

I'm glad the raptors have Derozan but if he stayed an extra year and played in an environment were he's the go to guy, a lot of his skills would be more polished and he'll have a better feel for the game.

RipVW
05-12-2010, 11:38 PM
Or sit for the bar exam. At any rate, I don't get your logic...

Meaning its not a "right to work" issue.

rabzouz 96
05-13-2010, 12:04 AM

lulz, maybe they should change the age you can to go to war as well...

IrespectNumber3
05-13-2010, 12:09 AM
Kareem Basically said...Lebron should have stayed in college...No for Kobe? he has 4 rings...he never needed to go.

That's what I get from it.

xbrackattackx
05-13-2010, 12:24 AM
I still think if you skip college you should have to play on the d=league a season or two. It would work on getting your experience and Fundamentals up.

xbrackattackx
05-13-2010, 12:25 AM
lulz, maybe they should change the age you should be able to go to war as well...

Best Sig Ever!

KG2TB
05-13-2010, 12:26 AM
LeBron was the most pro ready out of any player to make the jump outta HS. It took pretty much every other HS player a couple seasons at least to have a really good season. What LeBron did was remarkable. I do agree with him about going to college for two years. There would be less busts, the college game would be better as well as the pro game.

I don't get the whole army argument either. When you're in the army, you're basically a robot. You do what you're told and you're monitored. It's constant drilling with no freedom. In the NBA, you're given millions of dollars, luxuries, and a lot of freedom. A lotta kids that come outta HS can't handle it and don't really know how to be a true professional. Going to college helps greatly with that. It makes the player even more ready thus making the NBA more competitive and better to watch and it also helps the player on how to conduct himself as a professional and really having to earn his way into the league. If you wanna join the service...you could...they'll take anybody pretty much. I would hope the NBA is a little more selective than that.

xbrackattackx
05-13-2010, 12:30 AM
LeBron was the most pro ready out of any player to make the jump outta HS. It took pretty much every other HS player a couple seasons at least to have a really good season. What LeBron did was remarkable. I do agree with him about going to college for two years. There would be less busts, the college game would be better as well as the pro game.

I don't get the whole army argument either. When you're in the army, you're basically a robot. You do what you're told and you're monitored. It's constant drilling with no freedom. In the NBA, you're given millions of dollars, luxuries, and a lot of freedom. A lotta kids that come outta HS can't handle it and don't really know how to be a true professional. Going to college helps greatly with that. It makes the player even more ready thus making the NBA more competitive and better to watch and it also helps the player on how to conduct himself as a professional and really having to earn his way into the league. If you wanna join the service...you could...they'll take anybody pretty much. I would hope the NBA is a little more selective than that.

abe_froman
05-13-2010, 12:35 AM
I think it will give us better basketball. Rookies coming into the league are more seasoned and better prepared for the nba. There are so many guys that could have used an extra year or two of college and would have really benefited from it.

I'm glad the raptors have Derozan but if he stayed an extra year and played in an environment were he's the go to guy, a lot of his skills would be more polished and he'll have a better feel for the game.

this.

i'm selfish,i really dont care for the ethical debate.it produces a better quality and as a fan that all i care about,"not the well 18 they should...".how many of you use the same argument about the nfl draft(which is also barred from 18 year olds)?

YourTeamSucks
05-13-2010, 12:51 AM

:facepalm: this is a stupid analysis being in college doesnt help you mature just look at the nfl players or stephen jackson/ron artest or anybody else who has ****ed up. some people have the personality to suceed and some do not some are mentally stable and strong some are not, or you have to learn from experience.

GSW Hoops
05-13-2010, 01:23 AM
:facepalm: this is a stupid analysis being in college doesnt help you mature just look at the nfl players or stephen jackson/ron artest or anybody else who has ****ed up. some people have the personality to suceed and some do not some are mentally stable and strong some are not, or you have to learn from experience.

First of all, I didn't say they should be forced to go to college. I said the D-League.

Second, age matures a person. The difference between an 18-year-old kid and a 22-year-old with a few years of college under his belt can be immense.

If someone would have offered me $4 million per year at 18, I would be a fool and feel entitled and would probably squander my money away. But if I had to bust my butt in college for a few years and get by with financial aid money, I'd learn a lot more about life and be much more mature by the time I entered the NBA at 22.

It's not like too many 18-year-olds come into the NBA and dominate right away anyways. Most of them need a few years to develop, like Andrew Bynum. And for every LeBron there's a Kwame Brown or some other guy who didn't even get drafted and had a shot at a free college education at a good school.

YourTeamSucks
05-13-2010, 02:03 AM
First of all, I didn't say they should be forced to go to college. I said the D-League.

Second, age matures a person. The difference between an 18-year-old kid and a 22-year-old with a few years of college under his belt can be immense.

If someone would have offered me $4 million per year at 18, I would be a fool and feel entitled and would probably squander my money away. But if I had to bust my butt in college for a few years and get by with financial aid money, I'd learn a lot more about life and be much more mature by the time I entered the NBA at 22.

It's not like too many 18-year-olds come into the NBA and dominate right away anyways. Most of them need a few years to develop, like Andrew Bynum. And for every LeBron there's a Kwame Brown or some other guy who didn't even get drafted and had a shot at a free college education at a good school.

so y hasnt this worked for most of the athletes that went to college than?

SteveNash
05-13-2010, 03:51 PM
All the NBA needs to do is develop a proper minor league system. NCAA is mostly a joke and shouldn't be relied upon to develop future NBA players.

fresh prince
05-13-2010, 04:28 PM
No brainer.. College hoops isnt the same anymore. Both NBA and college hoops would benefit.

The NFL and College Footbal are both thriving for a reason!

nrwskinny
05-13-2010, 04:46 PM
Garnett, Kobe and Lebron were exceptions to the rule. They were READY from jump. I dont think anyone has the right to tell an 18 year old he cant go to the nba..If he thinks he's ready let him go--if he becomes a jerk and does crazy things, we have a place for people like that (jail)..If he wants to blow his money..fine..we have a place for that too (soup line)..
I don't think there is an easy fix for this situation--the NCAA and NBA have created this "issue" in the first place by allowing it to happen..

DMasta718
05-13-2010, 08:05 PM
If a 18-year old feels he's ready, let him go to the NBA if he's presented the oppurtunity.

MaHaRaJaH
05-13-2010, 08:22 PM
I don't know why they feel so entitled to it, even the superstars worked for that money.

BlazingInferno
05-13-2010, 08:34 PM
There should be no age limit. If you test the NBA too early, your problem. I think players would really benefit from college but lets say your a guy like LeBron. You shouldn't have to waste time dominating in college. Harrison Barnes should be allowed to go straight to the NBA this year.

97NYer
05-13-2010, 08:46 PM
Lower it, if anything.

dodie53
05-13-2010, 08:55 PM

x2

NastyRud
05-13-2010, 09:15 PM
There is no comparison between war & NBA. It is a privilage to play in the NBA, but It is an HONOR to serve your country.

AntwanN21
05-13-2010, 09:17 PM
Lower it or keep it the same imo, why pay for scholarships when you can get some kids straght outta highschool who dont want to go to school. It gives theses guys 2-3 years extra experience in the nba, will get rid of the guys who ar not "good enough" early on and will keep the league very competitive with good talent consitently

Korman12
05-13-2010, 09:44 PM
I'm one of the few here who agree's in principle with what Alicindor is saying here. Not specifically with the age limit, but having join the NBA similar to the NFL - at least three years of school.

The reason being, the NBA is the only major professional sport that basically does this, and no, I do not believe it makes the competition better. The NFL and NBA do not have minor league systems (I'm not counting practice squads or D-League's, because they're so insignificant compared to the minor league structure in MLB and NHL), but the NFL requires those three years.

While the NBA may not suffer from the rules, college does - I speak specifically for programs like Kentucky, who will lose all of their starters (and back-up C) and possibly their head coach after one year, which I find ridiculous.

Why do I think this, though? I honestly find it kind of unfair, no matter how biased it may seem, that you could just jump to the NBA at 18-19, while in every other sport and regular profession, you must have much more qualifications and practice to get to the top. I'm not talking about the education the players get in one year (which is BS, to whomever said that before), I'm talking about getting the easy road too easily.

And the military and NBA are not comparable, at all; that argument has zero validity. But that's just me.

MaHaRaJaH
05-13-2010, 09:56 PM
So how is NBA and the Military related?

PrettyBoyJ
05-13-2010, 10:11 PM

Damn before I read tht I was fully in for raising the age.. but tht makes a a whole lot of sense if you can die for your country at 18 you sure can play ball professionally

hineswardfan
05-13-2010, 10:19 PM
18 would be better, you know the kids who don't appreciate college for what it offers to it's students will not even attempt to try to excell at it. They will just pass time til they get their 30 mil contracts a year later. Waste of time and money in my opinion.

Denver-boy
05-13-2010, 10:47 PM
idk i like Lebron?!? why lower it? i dont get his points.... if your one in a billion to be that talented like Kobe and Lebron, im okay with it

LAOwnsAll15
05-14-2010, 12:22 AM
Kareem said earlier this week that the NBA should change its AGE limit to 21 rather than the current age of 18. I for one couldn't agree more!

Look at the league as it is today, Although young players are having moderate success, they seem to struggling in the playoffs. It seems as if they are verly starting to grasp the true nature of the game, Yet they've been earning millions for several years.

The true example to this is Lebron, he is without a doubt the most physically gifted player to set foot on the hardwood. But he was denied the chance to gain the experience that one gets from losing in the college game.

Everyone knows that you gain experience by the way you rebound after a tough loss. I doubt lebron had such a freedom with the media having a field day on his story.

The NBA needs to let young kids mature before they are giving millions and outrageous expectations.

Toenail Clipper
05-14-2010, 12:25 AM
Yeah, and there's more players being drafted than those who retire!

NYKnickFanatic
05-14-2010, 12:25 AM
http://www.prosportsdaily.com/forums/showthread.php?t=484926

GOON MUSIC
05-14-2010, 12:30 AM
If im a talented player from the projects and i had to be forced to play 4 years in college before I was able to get into NBA but i had the talent to be in the NBA after HS and in like my 3rd year being forced to play in college i blew out my knee and was never able to make it into the NBA and make that NBA $$$, id be pissed

Let The Owners decide who they wanna pay

Cromedome
05-14-2010, 12:38 AM

I agree.

Kareem was on Full House!

:laugh2:

LAOwnsAll15
05-14-2010, 12:39 AM
^^Dude face it, thats ***** is just a fairytale. Most NBA players are groomed from a young age.

pistonsfanomg
05-14-2010, 01:28 AM
Disagree

I think it should be 18

Look at the stars who came straight from High School....

LAOwnsAll15
05-14-2010, 01:36 AM
Disagree

I think it should be 18

Look at the stars who came straight from High School....

They would have been stars whether they go to college or not. The experience is however once in a life time opportunity

MaHaRaJaH
05-14-2010, 01:41 AM
If im a talented player from the projects and i had to be forced to play 4 years in college before I was able to get into NBA but i had the talent to be in the NBA after HS and in like my 3rd year being forced to play in college i blew out my knee and was never able to make it into the NBA and make that NBA $$$, id be pissed

Let The Owners decide who they wanna pay

College is completely overrated.

JasonJohnHorn
05-14-2010, 09:50 AM
Firstly, I love Jabbar, but I feel like I'm listening to my grandfather say "back in my day I used to walk ten miles in the snow with now shoes...."

Yes, there are arrogant gusy in the NBA who have bad attitudes. Some of them even when to college. Iverson, for example, was long considered the bad boy of the NBA and he only got in the league a year younger than Jabbar. So going to school doenst mean you will have a good attitude (though it may help).

As for hurting the college game. So what. Why should one player care about that? A guy is supposed to play for free while the universities that put him on the court make millions and billions of dollars from merchandise sales, TV and ticket sales? How is that fair?

I think goign through college helps, and makes players better all around and have more fundamentals, but seriously, it should be an individual's choice. Amare. LBJ. Kobe. Garnett. these are some of the game's best and they all came out of highschool.

And not everybody has as long a career as Jabbar, they dont have as much time to make money. College worked for him, but what if Oden had stayed in for four years and injured himself playing for free and ruined his career? Would that have been smart?

Part of me just thinks that Jabbar knows wiht guys like LBJ coming out of highschool, or as freshman (as they arent allowed straight out of highschool) it will make it more likely that somebody will pass his all-time scoring record. hmm... I think there is a conflict of interest here.

Korman12
05-14-2010, 06:52 PM
As for hurting the college game. So what. Why should one player care about that? A guy is supposed to play for free while the universities that put him on the court make millions and billions of dollars from merchandise sales, TV and ticket sales? How is that fair?

Because that's how it works in the NFL. Why is the NBA an exception?

MGB
05-14-2010, 07:10 PM
Meaning its not a "right to work" issue.

But it's not required to be board certified to be in the NBA. The two have nothing to do with each other, it's apples to oranges.

Geargo Wallace
05-14-2010, 07:12 PM
Maybe they should make these kids go to their classes too if they do this. If these guys are gonna' have to go to school to play ball than they should have to get some education.

save the knicks
05-14-2010, 07:19 PM
NEVER! Hoops is the only way for a young black youth to make it in America! To quote the Notorious one "either you slinging crack rock or you got a wicked jump shot"

Manos
05-14-2010, 09:24 PM
Kareem's got it right.

GSW Hoops
05-14-2010, 09:50 PM
It hurts the game to have young, immature players coming into the league.

Bruno
05-14-2010, 09:55 PM
Yea Captain, we all know it's just because you don't want anybody touching your all-time scoring record- and you know as well as we do that it would take a pure scorer straight out of high school with a 18-20 year career to touch it.

MaHaRaJaH
05-15-2010, 12:39 AM
the NBA is a game for Men anyway.