PDA

View Full Version : Why CAN'T Players Make Excuses?

NetsPaint
05-12-2010, 05:08 PM
This is not about LeBron, it's about in general. If players are hurting badly, they should either sit, or stop lying in interviews and saying there's no excuse for a bad game when it REALLY WAS THE F***ING reason.

There are times when a player should step up if he's tired, a little banged up, etc., but this stuff creates too much negativity.Good/great players feels as though they have to play no matter what, and have to play good no matter what. If I had to get to the store in eight minutes in order for my team (whatever sport this would be), but I just fell down stairs and got a few bruises, if I got back in sixteen minutes I'm not gonna go to the podium and say I'm not making any excuses. I tried, but I wasn't able to.

To athletes: Either be honest, or don't play at all.

MaHaRaJaH
05-12-2010, 05:21 PM
This is not about LeBron, it's about in general. If players are hurting badly, they should either sit, or stop lying in interviews and saying there's no excuse for a bad game when it REALLY WAS THE F***ING reason.

There are times when a player should step up if he's tired, a little banged up, etc., but this stuff creates too much negativity.Good/great players feels as though they have to play no matter what, and have to play good no matter what. If I had to get to the store in eight minutes in order for my team (whatever sport this would be), but I just fell down stairs and got a few bruises, if I got back in sixteen minutes I'm not gonna go to the podium and say I'm not making any excuses. I tried, but I wasn't able to.

Gambling.

G-Funk
05-12-2010, 05:39 PM
excuses are for *******

thescore53
05-12-2010, 05:46 PM
cause they get paid so damn much,

ManRam
05-12-2010, 05:50 PM
There always is a reason for something.

It's not fun to give any pro slack at all, ever. Especially when the whole sports world, especially fan-related, is so in love with hate. I'd take a guess that most fans hate a player more than they really love another. It's just how fans are. Never willing to give slack to anyone else but their own guys, and when something happens to another team/player, it's kill kill kill.

But excuses are 99% of the time legit. It's just no fun to cut them any slack.

ChiSox219
05-12-2010, 06:36 PM
Rule #76

streetballa
05-12-2010, 06:53 PM
I do not mind an excuse when it is legit.....but those are called reasons not excuses

RaptorsFanatic
05-12-2010, 06:57 PM
It's not really about the money, it's actually about living up to the integrity to the game of basketball. Ofcourse, we are all human and have the nature to do certain things to get sympathy from others, ie. excuses, but in this case, if you love the game and you are a player who is making excuses over something that is not legitimate, then you are not making your self look bad, but even worse, disrespecting the sport we all love so much.

RadiantShot
05-12-2010, 07:11 PM
Because, great players don't make excuses, even if they knew in the back of their mind, there were some. I guess it depends, great players never make excuses on camera.

smith&wesson
05-12-2010, 07:36 PM
there are guys like iverson who tried to play through every injury.

and theres theres guys like carter.

GspLAL
05-12-2010, 11:22 PM
Because it takes credit away from the other team, it's disrespect.

NetsPaint
05-12-2010, 11:27 PM
Because it takes credit away from the other team, it's disrespect.

You can say that you feel that the injury lessened your game, but knew it would be a tough task either way and saying you don't know the outcome had you have been healthy. Nothing disrespectful about that.

_KB24_
05-12-2010, 11:34 PM
Because others can't make excuses? Imagine Obama not showing up to a Cabinet meeting because his "elbow" felt injured :rolleyes:

SNYmets86
05-12-2010, 11:44 PM
i think kobe would of blame his injurys if it wasnt for the good players he has

ILLN355
05-12-2010, 11:46 PM
Because others can't make excuses? Imagine Obama not showing up to a Cabinet meeting because his "elbow" felt injured :rolleyes:

does obama need an elbow to go to meetings? lol

NetsPaint
05-12-2010, 11:48 PM
lol

NYMETS2889
05-12-2010, 11:48 PM
excuses dont win rings-heart does

rabzouz 96
05-13-2010, 12:00 AM

there are more people that play a role in the decision whether a player plays through his injury or not. the medical team the management of the club, the management of the player, etc.
its a businnes with much money involved and there are people behind the players that earn their gages through the players.
also there are some stupid thinkingschemes that still exist for example that its a good trait if a player plays through his injury instead of opting for the most early process to let it heal, which, in most cases, makes the injuries endure much longer, get really severe,and can possibly lead to an operation later on.
plus theyre pro athletes who had to somehow get into the best league of the world, theyre used to injecting all kinds of things into their bodies, so theyre prolly used to thinking that a shot of cortisone before the game will make em able to ignore the pain until it is finally gone.

NetsPaint
05-13-2010, 12:10 AM
there are more people that play a role in the decision whether a player plays through his injury or not. the medical team the management of the club, the management of the player, etc.
its a businnes with much money involved and there are people behind the players that earn their gages through the players.
also there are some stupid thinkingschemes that still exist for example that its a good trait if a player plays through his injury instead of opting for the most early process to let it heal, which, in most cases, makes the injuries endure much longer, get really severe,and can possibly lead to an operation later on.
plus theyre pro athletes who had to somehow get into the best league of the world, theyre used to injecting all kinds of things into their bodies, so theyre prolly used to thinking that a shot of cortisone before the game will make em able to ignore the pain until it is finally gone.

Yeah, I really don't get this. I could understand somebody playing through pain if they have a great shot at making the Playoffs near the end of the season, but many come back when there's a lot of games to go.

JNA17
05-13-2010, 12:13 AM
i think kobe would of blame his injurys if it wasnt for the good players he has

lol yeah and when at any point of his career has he even done that? Take your time i can wait. :)

xbrackattackx
05-13-2010, 12:22 AM
They can. They just look like WNBA players when they do.

rabzouz 96
05-13-2010, 12:32 AM
Yeah, I really don't get this. I could understand somebody playing through pain if they have a great shot at making the Playoffs near the end of the season, but many come back when there's a lot of games to go.

its how athletes are "bred". instead of doing the optimum it most often has to be doing the maximum. that goes for training as well, believe it or not, but most pro athletes in team sports (not so much in individual sports) train too often and wrong, because the trainers use methods that they learned from their trainers instead of training after the newest scientific revelations.
its because of the " put in some extra work" mentality, instead of finding out whats best. same goes for injuries.
also, if the team sucks, coaches or gms have to worry about their jobs so they rather force the player to play instead of losing their position.
plus painkillers, cortisone, and many other hormones that enable you to push your body to the limits while lowering the pain you feel(the bad effects on your ligaments and body or whatever harm your particalular injury does to your body stay tho).

Spurred1
05-13-2010, 02:57 AM
Can explosive and raging diarrhea be a valid excuse not to play?

Rentzias
05-13-2010, 10:01 AM
Because Larry Bird and Willis Reed didn't make excuses. And this:

cause they get paid so damn much,

GrumpyOldMan
05-13-2010, 10:50 AM
It's the playoffs, everybody is hurting. Therefore one player's aches and pains are no more an excuse than another player's. That's what makes the playoffs great in all sports. Overcoming adversity.

Kevj77
05-13-2010, 12:00 PM
^^ Exactly after 82 games and exhibition games everyone has aches and pains. It reminds me of Al Pacino's line in Any Given Sunday. "Are you hurt or injured?" "Coach whats the difference?" "If you're hurt you can still play."

If you're injured go see the trainer because you can't play. If you're hurting man up because everyone is at this time of year, just some more then others.

Jaji
05-13-2010, 12:14 PM

:facepalm:

If Obama had strep throat I'm sure he would postpone a speech.

Jaji
05-13-2010, 12:15 PM
Everyone is entitled to excuses. Just realize that excuses are a reason for failure. First, you fail, then you make an excuse. But people usually stop listening after the first part.

jmastert
05-13-2010, 12:21 PM
excuses are unprofessional

Storch
05-13-2010, 12:43 PM
Real men don't make excuses. They shut up and take the blows.

Rentzias
05-13-2010, 01:23 PM
Can explosive and raging diarrhea be a valid excuse not to play?

http://blogs.houstonpress.com/hairballs/un-depends.jpg

Hawkeye15
05-13-2010, 01:44 PM
why would you broadcast an injury to your opponents?? Pain is part of sports. If the other team knows you are having major issues with something, they will exploit it. Which is why many times the real severity of an injury is only revealed after that player is done for the year