PDA

View Full Version : Is there too much pressure for a superstar to play in NY for the Knicks?

JordansBulls
05-12-2010, 02:10 PM
You see it all the time. Melo, Lebron, Joe Johnson, Bosh, Amare, and even Wade and now Tony Parker have all been rumored on wanting to go to the Knicks to play on a Max Contract.

But don't you think there is an extreme amount of pressure to play for the Knicks?

I mean if those stars have pressure on their current teams, imagine how much more so playing in NY. Do you remember how much pressure Ewing had on him playing for the Knicks? When he didn't come thru for them, the franchise turned on him and even traded him and said he harmed the team more than he helped them (1998 and forward)

Is there too much pressure for a superstar to play in NY for the Knicks?

If so, why would those guys want more pressure on themselves.

king4day
05-12-2010, 02:12 PM
You've really got nothing to lose.
NY fans aren't stupid. If they see you giving it your all, they'll respect you.

TopsyTurvy
05-12-2010, 02:16 PM
No way there is too much pressure. Having lived in both New York City and Chicago (no experience with LA) though I can say that the sports coverage varies wildly in terms of intensity and volume, I don't think that translates into more pressure. On top of that, no matter what your definition of superstar may be, these players were raised to thrive in pressured environments and have indeed become successful.

Now, if you wanted to argue whether a certain city was a fit for a given superstar's, that's a different story.

arkanian215
05-12-2010, 02:19 PM

Nope. It's all about results in New York.

knickerbockerny
05-12-2010, 02:21 PM
Knicks fans just love good basketball, win or lose. We loved when Gallinari went toe to toe with Carmelo, even though we were far out of playoff contention. We loved t-mac's first game against the Thunder even though the Knicks lost that game.

There isn't that much pressure, because the Knicks have not won a championship in eons. Now does the individual player put pressure on himself is a different story. Some just want to be the best.

Sadds The Gr8
05-12-2010, 02:22 PM
In a way....just look at the way they treated Eli I think 3 years ago when he struggled, and threw like 4 INT's versus the Vikings. He got blasted by the media, but then when he won the SB, he was King of NY. Even last season when Sanchez was struggling there was alot of criticism from the press. The way it works is that when you win, you are the sexy girl everyone wants to take the prom. When you lose, you are the nerd that everyone gives wedgies and swirlies to.

ko8e24
05-12-2010, 02:25 PM
Guys don't play for championships anymore. They now play for the almighty $$$. The whole cliche "I wanna win a championship" with these guys is ********.

That's where I stand with this whole New York 2010 crap!

abe_froman
05-12-2010, 02:29 PM
i think there is.look at arod,they gave him all kinds of **** for no living up to experctions until this year,*****ed about eli until the sb,and those franchise werent starving for greatness like the kicks are(my god the pressure on anyone going there is going to be huge to win that first year or hell will come)

...but i dont think it's enough to stop people,quite a few like the pressue

DaBUU
05-12-2010, 02:34 PM
If Lebron ends up in NY and doesnt immediately win a ring their press will chew him up and then we'd see what he's made of. Imagine him playing for the Knicks and bombing in a playoff game like he did last night? He'd be getting it bad on all of the front pages today. imo I think hes really hurt and not letting on.

29$JerZ
05-12-2010, 02:36 PM
The Media causes the pressure because everything you do gets publicized and scrutinized.
However the fans of NY love good basketball and cheer when you deserve it and boo when you need to be booed.

It's a great place to play at, there are the fears of being more exposed in NY then elsewhere because this is NYC.

I don't think it will shy stars away per say but its something to keep a though about in their minds imo.

leftymo
05-12-2010, 02:40 PM
What pressure? The Knicks have had one superstar in the last 25 years! (Ewing).

The Knicks haven't been relevant for over 10 years now... can't see that changing anytime soon.

NY is a yankees town first...

NY/LA are opposites of each other in some weird bizarro way...

NY cares about the Yankees but basketball reigns on the streets.
LA cares about the Lakers but baseball reigns in the state.

Giaps
05-12-2010, 02:43 PM
100% yes... some people are cut out for it and most aren't.

m26555
05-12-2010, 02:44 PM
A true superstar does not fear pressure.

JNA17
05-12-2010, 02:46 PM
not even close. This might be New York but this is not like playing for the yankees, this is playing for the....knicks...

absolutely no pressure.

now flame me away :)

Raph12
05-12-2010, 02:56 PM
Pressure makes diamonds, but it also crushes plain rocks.

knickerbockerny
05-12-2010, 03:02 PM
Guys don't play for championships anymore. They now play for the almighty $$$. The whole cliche "I wanna win a championship" with these guys is ********.

That is somewhat true, but two of the players in your sig proves otherwise. Artest took far less to sign with the Lakers and have a shot at a ring. I believe Lamar did the same.

ko8e24
05-12-2010, 03:06 PM
That is somewhat true, but two of the players in your sig proves otherwise. Artest took far less to sign with the Lakers and have a shot at a ring. I believe Lamar did the same.

That's why the are currently the Lakers. They wanted to win with THE MAN, KOBE BRYANT!

JNA17
05-12-2010, 03:06 PM

ron artest your right about.

lamar got 7.5 mill per year for 3 or 4 years i believe. Which team would pay more then the lakers for odom? :confused:

spoonhoops
05-12-2010, 03:13 PM
Just like Al Davis says, "Just win baby!" Otherwise you will be scrutinized by the media until you do.

SteveNash
05-12-2010, 03:41 PM
Knicks fans were pretty supportive of Ewing. Hell the Knicks fans were even excited when they landed Marbury.

SNYmets86
05-12-2010, 04:04 PM
the MEDIA will be always to blame, no matter what they try to blow things out of proportion it can be the littlest things ... true knicks fans appreciate what is done ... band wagon fans can careless

the unknown
05-12-2010, 04:05 PM
i was excited for marbury and feel we didnt support him with the supporting cast he needed Van horn and kurt thomas.. wowz.. anyway i think pressure for lbj is different than joe johnson.. i think he wouldnt last the playoffs in nyc

Pierzynski4Prez
05-12-2010, 04:25 PM
The pressure is in every major market. It's no different. Chicago media and fans put a lot of pressure on players, so does LA. NYC is no different, except the fans feel they are entitled to every major superstar in every sport just because they are NYC.

netsgiantsyanks
05-12-2010, 04:49 PM
Knicks fans just love good basketball, win or lose. We loved when Gallinari went toe to toe with Carmelo, even though we were far out of playoff contention. We loved t-mac's first game against the Thunder even though the Knicks lost that game.

There isn't that much pressure, because the Knicks have not won a championship in eons. Now does the individual player put pressure on himself is a different story. Some just want to be the best.

SOME knicks fans are like that other knicks fans only care about results like most other teams so the amount of pressure superstars will have playing in ny is the same amount of pressure a superstar will face in indiana or jersey

sep11ie
05-12-2010, 04:59 PM

The Knicks haven't been relevant for over 10 years now... can't see that changing anytime soon.

NY is a yankees town first...

NY/LA are opposites of each other in some weird bizarro way...

NY cares about the Yankees but basketball reigns on the streets.
LA cares about the Lakers but baseball reigns in the state.

Umm, ever here of Jared Jeffries, or Chris Duhon? Better think that one through bub!:D

JordansBulls
05-12-2010, 06:30 PM
Knicks fans were pretty supportive of Ewing. Hell the Knicks fans were even excited when they landed Marbury.

Up until 1998 they were. After that they basically hated the guy.

CowboysKB24
05-12-2010, 06:53 PM
There is going to be pressure wherever these guys go. If they were smart they would go to a team that has a great coach.

As you can see with LeBron guys like Mike Brown don't win rings in this league.

redhorse
05-12-2010, 07:12 PM
The pressure is in every major market. It's no different. Chicago media and fans put a lot of pressure on players, so does LA. NYC is no different, except the fans feel they are entitled to every major superstar in every sport just because they are NYC.

well honestly what superstar did the knicks ever have? Ewing is the only one in recent memory. Knick fans have been waiting for a long time for that. And to even have a competitive team

redhorse
05-12-2010, 07:13 PM
Up until 1998 they were. After that they basically hated the guy.

not true at all. There were some people that actually cried when they traded him. Ewing will always be a favorite with knick fans.

arkanian215
05-12-2010, 07:25 PM

They also have a very short fuse for "underachieving." Look at the massive turnover the years leading up to the salary dumps.

smith&wesson
05-12-2010, 07:40 PM
[QUOTE=JordansBulls;13293960]You see it all the time. Melo, Lebron, Joe Johnson, Bosh, Amare, and even Wade and now Tony Parker have all been rumored on wanting to go to the Knicks to play on a Max Contract.

But don't you think there is an extreme amount of pressure to play for the Knicks?

I mean if those stars have pressure on their current teams, imagine how much more so playing in NY. Do you remember how much pressure Ewing had on him playing for the Knicks? When he didn't come thru for them, the franchise turned on him and even traded him and said he harmed the team more than he helped them (1998 and forward)

You my friend have just explained to every one how the ewing curse started. new york brought that on themselves.

yes there will be alot of pressure on who ever goes there to break the curse. because it has already lasted over 10 years.

Raidaz4Life
05-12-2010, 07:42 PM
I'd say there is more pressure playing for the Lakers where the fans expect greatness

Shammyguy3
05-12-2010, 07:51 PM
If anything, and just my opinion and perspective on this (born and raised in Chicago), there would be less "total" pressure on him to win in NY than Chicago or LA. This is only the case in basketball because they haven't won in forever. If you win one for NY, then you're a god no matter what. If you win two, then you are a god of gods. But, if you win one/two in LA or Chicago or Boston, the fans would react differently because (especially LA and Boston) they have many banners hanging. With NY, you win one, and the pressure is off IMO.

JordansBulls
05-27-2010, 04:34 PM
I'd say there is more pressure playing for the Lakers where the fans expect greatness

They have great management though.

SluggeR
05-27-2010, 04:42 PM
Maybe if they were coming to play for the Yankees, but we are talking about the Knicks. The Knicks have not been good year to year, since the 90's. Who cares about some haters, being brutal on a star just to sale some papers. Real Knick fans have suffered for years and will appreciate a contender. F the dweeb writers.

Raoul Duke
05-27-2010, 05:00 PM
I think there would be a huge amount of pressure, but not because "it's a huge media market" or "Knicks fans are more knowledgeable and intense than other fans". Both os those statements are patently false. The pressure will be because they've sucked for a really, really long time now.

heathonater
05-27-2010, 05:07 PM
if lebron signs in ny, there is immense pressure for him to deliver that city an nba title. the media in ny will be all over lebron if he doesn't deliver in the playoffs for the knicks.

papisupremo
05-27-2010, 05:09 PM
i dont think there's too much pressure playing in new york. ny'ers only pressure their athletes to give their all. for example, take david lee and eddy curry. dlee is beloved by knicks fans because he gives his all each and every nite. he has improved every year since he was drafted, and even has a jumpshot now. now look at eddy curry. we all hate the guy. doesnt work out, constantly complaining, and dont even get me started on how he spends his money. same team, two totally different players. knicks fans basically only care about effort, the pressure to win, necessarily, is small, since we're already used to heartbreak. thank god for the yankees!

knickfan4life
05-27-2010, 05:16 PM
new york will hold u accountable if you dont play ball to your potential... but if ur playin well and its not happening, no no pressure at all, we sucked for the last 10 years, u cant get any worse

JordansBulls
05-27-2010, 05:30 PM
new york will hold u accountable if you dont play ball to your potential... but if ur playin well and its not happening, no no pressure at all, we sucked for the last 10 years, u cant get any worse

When have the Knicks ever had a top 2 player in the league other than 1970?

JordansBulls
06-04-2010, 11:53 PM
if lebron signs in ny, there is immense pressure for him to deliver that city an nba title. the media in ny will be all over lebron if he doesn't deliver in the playoffs for the knicks.

At worst he would be in the Patrick Ewing boat.

boriquaabe
06-05-2010, 12:01 AM

Ok.... this was low.

Mike sure the GOAT. After that what does the bull franchise amount too?

The Knicks as a franchise have been to more finals than the Bulls.

If your franchise is going to be defined by 1 player what kind of history is that.

Pre-Mike you guys were a non-factor and after Mike you guys are once again a non-factor.

Sure I'll give you Mike.

But we had WIllis and Frazier and Earl the pearl and Bernard and Patrick.

EDIT:I think I kind of misunderstood your comment. Excuse me.

boriquaabe
06-05-2010, 12:03 AM

FYI in 1984 Bernard King lead the league in scoring at 33ppg you could argue he was the best in the game that year they just were not winning.

Fireworld
06-05-2010, 12:50 AM
You have a good point but no. It' shouldn't be too hard to improve on NY, they can only get better.

LA_Raiders
06-05-2010, 01:23 AM
no pressure, they suck anyway.... NY is very media demanding thats why they always fail, also the management sucks...big time

bkmikeyy
06-05-2010, 01:44 AM
Another wonderful Knicks thread? With Bulls fans chomping at the bits to say something negative?? SHOCKER!!
The Knicks play in the biggest city in the world, HAVE NOT WON MORE THAN 40 GAMES IN A DECADE, and still receive more support than some teams that are champion contenders. What pressure?!? Sure the media is hard on them the city of NY deserves better. Trust me once they become winners again they will be the most popular franchise in the NBA.

btw Ewing was not ran out of town he forced his way out because he had problems with management. He also admitted that it was a huge mistake. Yes the media is rough but the fans are the best in the world here. Ewing never won **** and ended on a sour note with the franchise but he is one of the most beloved athletes in this city, if he played in Cleveland he would have been long forgotten. I mean people still cry about Patrick Ewing Jr being cut (should have heard the ovation for him when he played) and he SUCKS!
A-ROD got **** because he is a media nightmare, guy is just a mess. On top of that he got caught with roids and handled it poorly. How about focusing on the good, look at Jeter, the guy stat wise would be an average star in your crummy city. But the guy has charisma is likable and is a winner and he is one of the most famous and loved sports figures.
Sanchez and Manning, you know how many opportunities opened up for both of them playing in NY?!

JordansBulls
06-05-2010, 08:57 AM
FYI in 1984 Bernard King lead the league in scoring at 33ppg you could argue he was the best in the game that year they just were not winning.

I think he was behind Bird that year, but yes I could consider him top 2 that year.

Mplsman
06-05-2010, 09:02 AM
no

Dieselpi
06-05-2010, 11:48 AM
no not really, a true gamer welcomes the pressure

and lets be honest here, the knicks have been terrible for over a decade. If any one or two of these guys signs in ny and they make the playoffs but fall short of a title in the first year, they will still be loved

and the media hated ewing because he didnt care about the media either. Lebron is pretty savy when it comes to maximizing his image.

tr4shb0t
06-05-2010, 12:18 PM
yea this is probably true to some extent. but, they just have to know that the league will protect them from negative media. so it's really not that big of a risk. their agents will at least know this.

KnicksorBust
06-05-2010, 12:28 PM
I think the first 3-4 years would be a big honeymoon where we drool over everything he does and 55 win seasons will feel like championships. If it's 5+ years down the road and he's crumbled in the playoffs and starting to decline, we'll turn on him. Hell we boo'd Jeter. NY fans can be horrible sometimes.

oak2455
06-05-2010, 12:36 PM
If Lebron ends up in NY and doesnt immediately win a ring their press will chew him up and then we'd see what he's made of. Imagine him playing for the Knicks and bombing in a playoff game like he did last night? He'd be getting it bad on all of the front pages today. imo I think hes really hurt and not letting on.

fail......just to have a good basketball team for a change would be great:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

oak2455
06-05-2010, 12:40 PM
no pressure, they suck anyway.... NY is very media demanding thats why they always fail, also the management sucks...big time

As a Raider fan you should know FAIL btw FYI the Yankees and the Giants have done pretty well:eyebrow:

Hustla23
06-05-2010, 12:41 PM
I think the whole pressure stigma is a bit overrated.

New Yorkers will get on you if you suck, no doubt, but if you are trying your hardest, we'll love you.

For example, Gallinari is a player that most New Yorkers really like.

He hasn't brought us to the playoffs or tore the league up or anything, but he competes and plays his heart out on defense and shows passion and emotion every game at the Garden. New Yorkers chew that stuff up.

Raps18-19 Champ
06-05-2010, 12:50 PM

So if 2 superstars teamed up just so they can win a title, that doesn't count for "I wanna win a championship".

Tony_Starks
06-05-2010, 12:52 PM
I don't think the pressure comes from NY because honestly a lot of players would probably love to play on that stage. I think the pressure comes more from them basically being a losing brand for the past however many years with basically no improvement. So now if you come there its pretty much on you to turn the whole ship around.

It would be different if they had even slightly got better year by year especially if they could've snuck in the playoffs. Then its like ok they're already getting better I can put them over the top. But I don't think anyone wants to start from the bottom....

I get what they had to do with their salary situation but that perception is still out there...

JordansBulls
06-05-2010, 02:08 PM
So if 2 superstars teamed up just so they can win a title, that doesn't count for "I wanna win a championship".

:clap:

Kakaroach
06-05-2010, 02:12 PM
Its not so much the pressure of just playing in New York, its the pressure of playing for a team that has been just horrible the past several years and is now supposed to be saved by a few free agents. I'm sure for the first few years the Knicks fans would just love him. Its after that when it gets hard.

elizur
06-05-2010, 02:30 PM
People are ridiculous saying pressure does not matter. I understand most of you are too young or do not live in NY, but when Ewing and the Knicks were good, basketball was ruling the city. It was the most exciting time in the last 90's, we need that again.

JordansBulls
06-08-2010, 03:44 PM
I think the first 3-4 years would be a big honeymoon where we drool over everything he does and 55 win seasons will feel like championships. If it's 5+ years down the road and he's crumbled in the playoffs and starting to decline, we'll turn on him. Hell we boo'd Jeter. NY fans can be horrible sometimes.

When was this?

oak2455
06-08-2010, 04:02 PM
I don't think the pressure comes from NY because honestly a lot of players would probably love to play on that stage. I think the pressure comes more from them basically being a losing brand for the past however many years with basically no improvement. So now if you come there its pretty much on you to turn the whole ship around.

It would be different if they had even slightly got better year by year especially if they could've snuck in the playoffs. Then its like ok they're already getting better I can put them over the top. But I don't think anyone wants to start from the bottom....

I get what they had to do with their salary situation but that perception is still out there...

I guess your not a NYer because the Yankees in the 80's were not that good as the NY Giants too had there troubles so I dont buy that theory:)

97NYer
06-08-2010, 04:11 PM
If you're good, you will handle the pressure.

JordansBulls
06-08-2010, 11:38 PM
If you're good, you will handle the pressure.

How good are you talking? Top player in the league or top 3 or top 5?

fadedmario
06-08-2010, 11:50 PM
No. The Knicks haven't won a Championship since Willis Reed played for them. They are not the Yankees. If anything, a playoff berth would be a big deal. New York would be a great place to play in my opinion.

NYtilIdie
06-09-2010, 12:03 AM
If your the best you should love to have big expectations and love to have fans that expect nothing, but your all night in and night out.

And if you fail to do so expect to hear it from us and the media. I think its good for the city media to get on players because if they slack off and don't hear, they'll most likely do it again and again.

PV2nice
06-09-2010, 12:27 AM

NY fans are stupid? Funny because your signature indicates your a YANKEE fan:facepalm:

superkegger
06-09-2010, 12:47 AM
How can there be too much pressure? The Knicks have been bad for like 10 years. If any of these superstars go to NY, there won't be pressure on them for like 3-4 years (unless two conspire and go there together). So no, right now, there's no pressure.

The spotlight and constant attention might be too much for some guys, but the pressure is not an issue as far as the Knicks go right now.

HesterTrain
06-09-2010, 12:52 AM
NY fans are stupid? Funny because your signature indicates your a YANKEE fan:facepalm:

LOL He said they "aren't" stupid. Comprehension problems?

abe_froman
06-09-2010, 01:01 AM
No. The Knicks haven't won a Championship since Willis Reed played for them. They are not the Yankees. If anything, a playoff berth would be a big deal. New York would be a great place to play in my opinion.

i dunno,if its wade or especially bron(even if they get no one else), i can see expectations being unreasonably high and just making the playoffs would be deemed not good enough

in any/every other event else,even a team up,i think you'd be right

...just the feeling i get

HeaTxRipZz
06-09-2010, 02:21 AM
I don't think It will be too much pressure. All NYers want is for their team to be competitive. This past decade speaking to my aunt and all her season ticket holding friends all they talk about is hoping the next atleast sneak into the 8th spot and have some type of Post Season appearance. There's more of a hunger to compete than it is to flat out win a championship right away. Sure a title is what everyone wants but I believe first NY Knicks fans want is to just compete and get to the post season.

06-09-2010, 05:37 AM
if you are a star, you are well payed to handel the pressure...
so shut up and take it like a man

JordansBulls
06-09-2010, 08:17 AM
if you are a star, you are well payed to handel the pressure...
so shut up and take it like a man

:laugh2:

Da Knicks
06-09-2010, 09:48 AM
If a player cant handle the pressure of new york how will he handle the playoffs? BTW Ewing put the pressure on himself by saying he would bring a championship and not delivering. The knicks never got him a pippen, kobe to be his robin so it kinda fell on the management of the time. New York just wants a winner and deserves one L.A. gets to have a winner just because they would not have any fans if they didnt win. New York gets screwed for having loyal fans...

nycsports2
06-09-2010, 09:53 AM
i put no just based soley on the fact theres gonna be 2... now if its just 1 guy yes cuz if he doesnt perform hes gonna get blasted real bad this city has been disgraced by this team for a decade now its ridiculous this was a top 5 franchise now its top 5 worst

NY4YA
06-09-2010, 10:33 AM
You see it all the time. Melo, Lebron, Joe Johnson, Bosh, Amare, and even Wade and now Tony Parker have all been rumored on wanting to go to the Knicks to play on a Max Contract.

If I remember correctly he was traded because he was older and slower and wanted to play star minutes with a star role. If he would have excepted his role he would have retired a knick.

DJ CHACH
06-09-2010, 10:43 AM
if you cant handle the pressure, than dont come..seriously, the ones who elite in their sport, take it a level higher when the pressure and lights are focused on them...thats how u make ur money and name..if you can't and are afraid, well then stay in cleveland...he can do no wrong there..he can continue to heave half court underhanded threes in cleveland, but once he's on the big stage, its grow up time..

check this article out
**************************?p=512

beerman28
06-09-2010, 10:45 AM
well they cant do any worse than they have been... you can only go up from the bottom...

awmathewsjr
06-09-2010, 10:59 AM
I get so tired of all this hype about playing in New York and all the pressure that comes with it. No disrespect Knick fans, NY is a great city but lets face it, the Knicks organization blows. They haven't won a ring in almost 40yrs back when Walt Frazier and Willis Reed were playing. I'd think it would be more pressure to play in Chicago and try to live up to what the "MJ Era" did for the city. Not to mention if a guy like LeBron was to go there he would instantly become the greatest Knick of all time. Pat Ewing never won and knick fans are crazy about him. So lets stop all this pressure talk.

Badluck33
06-09-2010, 11:03 AM

Lebron James wont play in New York because he does not want to play in the shadow of Ewing.

Da Knicks
06-09-2010, 11:22 AM
Dont know of many players being compared to Ewing as to jordan guy but nice try

oak2455
06-09-2010, 11:40 AM
Lebron James wont play in New York because he does not want to play in the shadow of Ewing.

or MJ:eyebrow:

oak2455
06-09-2010, 11:42 AM
Dont know of many players being compared to Ewing as to jordan guy but nice try

I cant wait til July 1st thats when will know who's coming to NYC:clap::clap:

JordansBulls
06-14-2010, 11:46 PM

:confused:

ldc62
06-14-2010, 11:52 PM
Why would there be pressure... Knicks fans should be happy as long as they make the playoffs (thats if they don't get Lebron). I think theres almost no pressure, unless you have to play with Lebron and expect to win a championship.

SluggeR
06-15-2010, 12:25 AM
There would be pressure if they came in after Ewing left, but hell who are they following now...Al Harrington?! The right free agents could come in and cement themselves in Knick History

The Jokemaker
06-15-2010, 01:06 AM
Nah I don't think that pressure is any different in NY than a superstar going anywhere else. If a superstar changes teams, championships are expected on that new team. Like when Shaq went to the heat, a championship was expected. Lebron is arguably the best player in the league so wherever he goes, that team will expect a championship.

Now if this were baseball, then yeah there'd be some added pressure comin to the Yankees ;)

Me and Mr. T
06-15-2010, 01:27 AM
NY fans expect results, but they are some of the most dedicated fans in all of sports. Even when their team blows they still show up. Rangers games are always sold out. Speaking of which, when Messier came to the Rangers from Edmonton he was brought to deliver the Rangers a cup and he delivered. He's still to this day a legend in NY just for that one championship. If Lebron came to the Knicks he'd be expected to win the Knicks a championship. If he delivered one he'd always be remembered. The expectations may be high in NY, but if you deliver the fans will always remember that.

PrettyBoyJ
06-15-2010, 10:15 AM
I think the media puts the pressure.. Honestly its good to play in NY but f you get a lot of money nd bust the media will rip you apart

PrettyBoyJ
06-15-2010, 10:16 AM

But he rather play in the shadow of Jordan?

Raoul Duke
06-15-2010, 10:26 AM
This is the biggest farce in the entire universe. I'm going to go ahead and just outline a few sentences that pretty much make people look like ***-clowns.

"Knicks fans are more knowledgable than any other fans in the NBA!"

"Theres more pressure to play in New York than anywhere else, because NY expects more!"

"New York is the mecca of basketball!"

look at arod,they gave him all kinds of **** for no living up to experctions until this year

That's because A-Rod is a d-bag, and NYers are real people and smelled it on him. Look at Jeter. Jeter is the anti-d-bag, and he owns that city.

Look I hate to sound mean, but the pressure is due to how bad (and badly run) the franchise has been for the last decade. Are some guys going to be tentative to sign there shis summer? Yes. Will it be because it's so steeped in tradition and NY fans have such high expectations and know the game better than any other fanbase in the entire world? No. It'll be because they don't have a great roster or a great track record.

Da Knicks
06-15-2010, 10:42 AM
If the franchise is and was so bad what kind of pressure would the players have?:facepalm:

albertc86
06-15-2010, 05:02 PM
I've always said that superstars would rather put on a show against the Knicks than for the Knicks. New York is a grand stage for all superstars but the Knicks acquiring a superstar would take an allure out of the city, in my opinion. You can blame Jordan for that. it's not coincidence that the Kobes, Carmelos, Wades, and LeBrons are putting on legendary performances when they go there. These guys could just as easily score 40 or 50 points against other teams but there's something special about doing it against New York. The Knicks have not been a franchise like the Lakers (winning franchise) even though it's just as great of a market. If the Knicks acquire a superstar you can say farewell to those 40+ point games and legendary performances. None of them are going to do it for 82 games; it's much easier to do it for two or three.

oregonbronco
06-15-2010, 05:10 PM
What have the Knicks ever really done?

oak2455
06-15-2010, 05:35 PM

I was asking the same question about your few posts.....now back to the subject NEW YORK is a big city where ppl go and enjoy themselves one of the best Cities in the world for that and that you can look up. The Knicks when they get two max FA'S I cant wait for those threads to start why would he go there or why with those crappy Knicks.......Heres the deal Donnie Walsh not Isiah Thomas, is not running the Knicks and Donnie has plenty of good relationships as does Mike D'antoni in the League so like I said July 1st cant come fast enough:clap::clap:

JordansBulls
06-16-2010, 08:06 PM

Win 2 titles and make a few finals. Even more than the Bulls IIRC.

D1JM
06-16-2010, 08:12 PM
I've always said that superstars would rather put on a show against the Knicks than for the Knicks. New York is a grand stage for all superstars but the Knicks acquiring a superstar would take an allure out of the city, in my opinion. You can blame Jordan for that. it's not coincidence that the Kobes, Carmelos, Wades, and LeBrons are putting on legendary performances when they go there. These guys could just as easily score 40 or 50 points against other teams but there's something special about doing it against New York. The Knicks have not been a franchise like the Lakers (winning franchise) even though it's just as great of a market. If the Knicks acquire a superstar you can say farewell to those 40+ point games and legendary performances. None of them are going to do it for 82 games; it's much easier to do it for two or three.

this. Every star is trying to out due each other to see who scores more points against the knicks. Remember kobe put 40 something then lebron went and put more than kobe

oak2455
06-16-2010, 08:22 PM
this. Every star is trying to out due each other to see who scores more points against the knicks. Remember kobe put 40 something then lebron went and put more than kobe

this? what is that? going forward LBJ could be playing for us soo:clap:

boolish
06-16-2010, 08:32 PM
again today's pro athlete does not care about "pressure". they care about contract. they care about "benjamins". they don't worry about such things as legacy, or playing in tough cities, like some fans do....

Meth
06-16-2010, 08:45 PM
^
Agree; all they care about is money.

oak2455
06-16-2010, 08:59 PM
this is why I really think hes coming to the Knicks.........:)

Tony_Starks
06-16-2010, 11:16 PM
theres going to be a lot of sad New Yorkers when this summers over.....

xabial
06-16-2010, 11:35 PM
theres going to be a lot of Bandwagons when this summers over.....

Fixed.

NYtilIdie
06-17-2010, 12:21 AM

Hey I guess it all remains to be seen. I agree Boston will give them a run for their money but I think thats about it. Now Clev vs Orlando will be the main event. The way Dwights been playing though I'd give the edge to Clev unless he smartens up real quick.

Could Lebron make the Knicks a contender? Maybe, but Im pretty sure we'd all admit that a lot of other things would also have to fall in line as well (trading Curry, Lee sign and trade? drafting well) . Some people act like you can just take Lebron, Gallo, Wil, and Tony and pencil the rest in for a title... thats all Im saying.

In with you guys, I believe the Knick fans deserve a competitive team, Im just a lil pessimistic about it....

JordansBulls
06-17-2010, 01:00 AM

Why is this?

BAMF
06-17-2010, 01:36 PM
Why is this?

Because the media made him think "Lebron or bust" witch isnt true. Most NY fans are happy just to see our team get 40 wins with or without LBJ

sep11ie
06-17-2010, 01:55 PM
Lemme guess, they should all sign w/Chicago?

JordansBulls
06-17-2010, 03:03 PM
Lemme guess, they should all sign w/Chicago?

Dieselpi
06-17-2010, 03:20 PM
Why is this?

in the winter the ladies put away the skirts and sundresses... it makes me ever so sad

Dieselpi
06-17-2010, 03:23 PM

thats just idiocy
and to compare jordan torching the knicks to kobe and lebron is just silly
jordan did it in times when the knicks at least had some semblence of talent, not a team that couldnt compete in high school.

Ask reggie miller how he feels about putting up all of his legendary performaces against the knicks while they were good.

i think it would mean more to a guy like kobe to drop 50 in the garden if he was playing against someone of lebrons caliber than a string of D caliber talent.

Dieselpi
06-17-2010, 03:31 PM
oh and just for fun jordan dropped 50+ 38 times
4 times against the knicks, only two of which were in ny.

care to guess how many 50+ games there have been in the nba history?

so to think that a player would pass up the opportunity to play at the garden just because it would take away the 2-3 opportunities a year he would have to do it against the knicks is just stupid.

Great players will put on great performaces regardless of the zip code.

oak2455
06-17-2010, 03:47 PM
Because the media made him think "Lebron or bust" witch isnt true. Most NY fans are happy just to see our team get 40 wins with or without LBJ

Actually ESPN did thats the media? ESPN now thinks the Knicks will get no one which i find hilarious :D

Tony_Starks
06-17-2010, 04:24 PM

well being that the city is recruiting celebrities as we speak to court him, that the mayor of New York is appealing to him, and that they are literally making campaigns to get his attention.... I would think it really is Lebron or bust.

Keep it real man, they've been fantasizing over this guy for 2 years. If and when they don't get him it's going to be a big deal.

joe j.09
06-17-2010, 04:35 PM
^^^of course just like it will be for chicago cleveland nets and the clippers....even the heat to an extent....no matter what anyone says the fanbases that dont get him will really be dissapointed no matter what they say....NY included

albertc86
06-17-2010, 04:43 PM
thats just idiocy
and to compare jordan torching the knicks to kobe and lebron is just silly
jordan did it in times when the knicks at least had some semblence of talent, not a team that couldnt compete in high school.

Ask reggie miller how he feels about putting up all of his legendary performaces against the knicks while they were good.

i think it would mean more to a guy like kobe to drop 50 in the garden if he was playing against someone of lebrons caliber than a string of D caliber talent.

Who the Knicks have on the court is irrelevant. Superstars love to put on a show against the Knicks. As another poster responded to my post --- superstars try to one-up each other when they play against the Knicks. Statistics don't discriminate either. If a given player puts on a legendary performance against the Knicks, there's no asterik for it being done against a subpar team.

Dieselpi
06-17-2010, 04:44 PM
well being that the city is recruiting celebrities as we speak to court him, that the mayor of New York is appealing to him, and that they are literally making campaigns to get his attention.... I would think it really is Lebron or bust.

Keep it real man, they've been fantasizing over this guy for 2 years. If and when they don't get him it's going to be a big deal.

you realize other citys have used celebs to do the same thing?
and that this happens pretty often with mega stars.

furthermore that panel isnt just put together for lebron its put together for all the players they will be targeting.

8kobe24
06-17-2010, 04:45 PM
There is pressure, but I can see the pressure being different (more pressure) for lebron or dwade versus other superstars like amare, bosh, etc.

Tony_Starks
06-17-2010, 04:49 PM
^^^of course just like it will be for chicago cleveland nets and the clippers....even the heat to an extent....no matter what anyone says the fanbases that dont get him will really be dissapointed no matter what they say....NY included

True indeed but unlike those other teams this is make or brake for them. ChiTown is still a up and coming exciting playoff team without him. I'd venture to say the same about the Clipps with the number 1 pick coming back. NewYork basically gutted their roster just for a chance at him.

Its do or die, the other free agents out there are not franchise changing players. Boozer, Bosh, or Amare are not going to get you a chip. They've been on better teams than the Knicks and still haven't done it.

avrpatsfan
06-17-2010, 05:00 PM
For sure but some players can handle it and some can't.

JordansBulls
06-20-2010, 10:29 PM
in the winter the ladies put away the skirts and sundresses... it makes me ever so sad

IndiansFan337
06-20-2010, 10:36 PM

I don't think so. Top players have pressure on them wherever they play. Sure, in NY things may be more scrutinized. But that isn't why top guys haven't gone there. Top guys don't want to go there because the team is so bad right now. If they had a good core I don't think they'd have any problem bringing in an All-Star max F/A to join them.