PDA

View Full Version : How about the Celtics? How far can they go?

CowboysKB24
05-12-2010, 01:14 PM
No one is talking about the Celtics. They are on the cusp on beating the best team in the league and to the Eastern Conference Finals. How far will they go? Are they the real deal or just a good match up against the Cavs?

Hawkeye15
05-12-2010, 01:15 PM
Probably the ECF. Orlando is better imo.

m26555
They are good enough to win the whole thing; been saying it all along.

Toenail Clipper
They're gonna lose against the Magic.

JNA17
05-12-2010, 01:17 PM
their good enough to make it to the finals, but come up short with a revenge from the lakers :D

NBAfan4life
05-12-2010, 01:18 PM
Their good enough to maybe advance to the next round and lose to the Magic

hugepatsfan
05-12-2010, 01:30 PM
Good enough to win the finals - any of the 5 teams left at this point are if they get the right breaks.

smith&wesson
05-12-2010, 01:32 PM
celtics vs magic is going to be a serious series.

1. celtics are the first real test the magic are getting in the playoffs. lets be real charlotte & ATL never stood a chance.

2. best defence in the league vs the best offence in the league.

3. orlando and or boston in the finals will be exciting to watch vs the lakers. lakers could possibly get there revenge on boston from 2 seasons ago, or orlando can possibly get theyre revenge on LA from last years finals.

4. i would have liked to see lebron vs kobe. respect where its due. boston and orlando are the better teams right now.

Tony_Starks
05-12-2010, 01:33 PM
Still not good enough to beat Orlando. If Lebron hadn't completely lost his heart they wouldn't be beating Cleveland.

m26555
05-12-2010, 01:34 PM
Still not good enough to beat Orlando. If Lebron hadn't completely lost his heart they wouldn't be beating Cleveland.
Oh come on...

They are not just beating Cleveland; they are dismantling Cleveland. Boston's three wins have all been by double-digits and have been by an average of 20 PPG. This has a lot more to do with the Celtics playing well than LeBron "losing his heart."

shyfly24
05-12-2010, 01:39 PM

1. celtics are the first real test the magic are getting in the playoffs. lets be real milwakee and charlotte never stood a chance.

3. orlando and or boston in the finals will be exciting to watch vs the lakers. lakers could possibly get there revenge on boston from 2 seasons ago, or orlando can possibly get theyre revenge on LA from last years finals.

4. i would have liked to see lebron vs kobe. respect where its due. boston and orlando are the better teams right now.

Atlanta?

Tony_Starks
05-12-2010, 01:42 PM
Oh come on...

They are not just beating Cleveland; they are dismantling Cleveland. Boston's three wins have all been by double-digits and have been by an average of 20 PPG. This has a lot more to do with the Celtics playing well than LeBron "losing his heart."

If you say so man. The dude didn't even half a bucket until halfway through the 3rd quarter last night. Everyone else can see it, he's clearly not involved in the series. He looks disinterested and defeated.

Not to mention in two of those wins Rondo just happened to have the best games of his entire damn life.

m26555
05-12-2010, 01:43 PM
If you say so man. The dude didn't even half a bucket until halfway through the 3rd quarter last night. Everyone else can see it, he's clearly not involved in the series. He looks disinterested and defeated.

Not to mention in two of those wins Rondo just happened to have the best games of his entire damn life.
Yeah; it's not like Rondo wasn't a top five point guard or had any spectacular playoff performances before this series or anything. It's also not like the Celtics are two years removed from a title or anything, either.

Your argument is outlandishly ignorant. Give credit where credit is due.

n83417
05-12-2010, 01:53 PM
Yeah; it's not like Rondo wasn't a top five point guard or had any spectacular playoff performances before this series or anything. It's also not like the Celtics are two years removed from a title or anything, either.

outlandishly ignorant, I like it

MJ-BULLS
05-12-2010, 01:54 PM
Orlando will knock them out.

Tony_Starks
05-12-2010, 01:55 PM

Outlandishily ignorant. That was actually mildly amusing. Hey man if you want to believe that this series is more about the Celtics being really good than Lebron being really, really, REALLY bad then more power to you partna. I would like to mention that in a game where Lebron played like....you know.... LEBRON JAMES, you guys were blew out by 30 on your home floor.

But hey what do I know? If you guys get to Orlando I guess you'll find out how good your team really is right?..... the hard way.

mikantsass
05-12-2010, 01:57 PM
No one is talking about the Celtics. They are on the cusp on beating the best team in the league and to the Eastern Conference Finals. How far will they go? Are they the real deal or just a good match up against the Cavs?

The Cavs are the best REGULAR season team in the league. They look real good when they are beating the Pistons and 76ers by 40pts. But they are not the best POSTSEASON team.

But the Celtics are good enough to win the finals. However they will be tested if they advance to the next round against the Magic.

RadiantShot
05-12-2010, 01:59 PM
I don't know. "We'll see come June." ;)

That's all I really have to say.

natelpete
05-12-2010, 02:01 PM
They will get to game 7 of this series... That is all

a4anthony
05-12-2010, 02:12 PM
The Cavs are the best REGULAR season team in the league. They look real good when they are beating the Pistons and 76ers by 40pts. But they are not the best POSTSEASON team.

But the Celtics are good enough to win the finals. However they will be tested if they advance to the next round against the Magic.

could not have said it better myself but i think we (boston) have good matchups with orlando minus howard and perkins

BOSTON617
05-12-2010, 02:22 PM

wow :facepalm: thats a joke right?

BOSTON617
05-12-2010, 02:23 PM
celtics can win it all but who knows depends how the magic play for some reason i tihnk we match up better agaisnt the magic tho

G-Funk
05-12-2010, 02:35 PM
It's not up to Lebron. IMO it all depends on what the C's do and how they come out and play thursday. If C's come out and lay an egg like game 3 then Lebron will take advantage of that as he should.

Wcuracer29
05-12-2010, 02:38 PM
Both the Celtics and Magic are playing great basketball right now- earlier in the year the Celtics looked terrible and like they had completely given up. Now they are firing on all cylinders and making the Cavs look bad.

The Magic have played well against Boston and if Boston advances, Howard is going to have to overcome Perkins and Davis, two guys he's struggled against recently. Rondo is playing like no one else in the league- he has all the confidence in the world right now and someone's got to stop him.

Whoever advances to face Orlando, it will be a great series and i don't think for one second it'll be a sweep. I actually wouldn't mind seeing Orlando lose a game (game 4 after being up 3-0 :D) just to bring them down to Earth and little.

unwantedplayer
05-12-2010, 02:39 PM

Lol

You're one funny dude, I'll give you that.

m26555
05-12-2010, 02:40 PM
Outlandishily ignorant. That was actually mildly amusing. Hey man if you want to believe that this series is more about the Celtics being really good than Lebron being really, really, REALLY bad then more power to you partna. I would like to mention that in a game where Lebron played like....you know.... LEBRON JAMES, you guys were blew out by 30 on your home floor.

But hey what do I know? If you guys get to Orlando I guess you'll find out how good your team really is right?..... the hard way.
James also dropped 35 in game one, and Cleveland needed a second-half rally to win (and stop saying "you guys," as I am not a Celtics' fan).

Instead of saying James is playing with no heart, how about giving some credit to Boston's defense? How about giving some credit to Pierce for finally coming to life in game five? How about giving some credit to Rondo for absolutely torching Cleveland all series? How about giving some credit to Garnett for dominating the paint and for Ray Allen for draining threes like there's no tomorrow, or to Boston's bench for coming up HUGE?

Honestly, this is such a dumb argument to be having.

iggypop123
05-12-2010, 02:40 PM
they can make it as far as the finals, but they wotn get past the lakers. they only win it all if the suns pull of a miracle and then lose to the celtics.

mdm692
05-12-2010, 02:41 PM
i dont wanna get too ahead of myself but suns vs celtics final :D

RaiderLakersA's
05-12-2010, 02:42 PM
I stated in other previous threads that I thought that the Celts have what it takes to beat the Cavs. I expected them to win this series.

But I think the Magic are a much deeper all around threat to the Celts. If the C's do, indeed, defeat the Cavs, I think the Magic edge them out in 6-7 games in the ECF.

Tony_Starks
05-12-2010, 02:54 PM
James also dropped 35 in game one, and Cleveland needed a second-half rally to win (and stop saying "you guys," as I am not a Celtics' fan).

Instead of saying James is playing with no heart, how about giving some credit to Boston's defense? How about giving some credit to Pierce for finally coming to life in game five? How about giving some credit to Rondo for absolutely torching Cleveland all series? How about giving some credit to Garnett for dominating the paint and for Ray Allen for draining threes like there's no tomorrow, or to Boston's bench for coming up HUGE?

Honestly, this is such a dumb argument to be having.

Look man, I don't think they can beat Orlando. Im also of the opinion that this series is more about Lebron screwing up then Boston playing well. Thats my story and Im sticking to it. If they beat Orlando I'll be the first one to come in here and give props but I just don't see it happening.

I agree to disagree with you.

Raph12
05-12-2010, 02:57 PM
Probably the ECF. Orlando is better imo.

This

defender4m
05-12-2010, 03:09 PM
Cant see them or the Cavs beat Orlando in the ECF

Sly Guy
05-12-2010, 03:16 PM
1. celtics are the first real test the magic are getting in the playoffs. lets be real milwakee and atlanta never stood a chance.

fixed

OA SLAY
05-12-2010, 03:23 PM
Sky is the limit

surf and turf
05-12-2010, 03:34 PM
If Boston comes out of the east and plays the Lakers they will win it all. Real defenses makes Kobe cry then his eye liner runs and he cant see very well. If they play the suns anything can happen. But they have to get there first.

slapnutz69
05-12-2010, 03:34 PM
Orlando will absolutely dismantle either of em so its a moo point, time for Shaq to hang em up too he's looking like patrick Ewing at the end of his career, if he wasn't so freaking big he would be totally useless out there....

THE MTL
05-12-2010, 03:36 PM
They are good enough to win the whole thing, but that doesnt mean that they are going to. Orlando right now is the BEST team in the postseason. Yes, their road has been fairly easy, however Orlando even when Orlando plays horrible (first round was a disaster for Howard) they find ways to sweep opponents.

I say the Celtics beat the Lakers cause statistically speaking the Celtics always beat the Lakers. But I think the matchups favor the Celtics.

Raidaz4Life
05-12-2010, 03:41 PM
Thats because most of us are pretty confident they will get spanked by Orlando.... or maybe thats just me.

SteveNash
05-12-2010, 03:50 PM
Championship

Raph12
05-12-2010, 03:59 PM

1. celtics are the first real test the magic are getting in the playoffs. lets be real milwakee and charlotte never stood a chance.

The Magic played Charlotte and Atlanta, not Milwaukee, not that it'd matter, just another sweep. Charlotte was the second best defensive team in the league and posed matchup problems for Cleveland (3-1 in the season), Atlanta did the same against Boston (4-0 in the season), we just matchup well with anyone, so we made them look worse than they were.

Orlando has the best defense (#1 in dEFF, dRB%, oppEFG%, basket protection [oppFG% at rim] and paint protection [pts in the paint per 100 possessions]) and they had the 2nd best offense (2nd in oEFF and 2nd in efg%)... So idk where you got this "best defense vs best offense" thing.

SteveNash
05-12-2010, 04:02 PM
Yeah I agree. Boston is clearly the better defensive team and in no way is Orlando the best offensive team.

celtisox41
05-12-2010, 04:02 PM
It depends on how rondo plays. If he plays like he has been then i think it's obvious that no one in the entire league can stop him or the celtics. And if the celtics do play the magic then howard wouldn't be dominant like he usually is. Perkins can slow him down better than most of the centers in the league

surf and turf
05-12-2010, 04:04 PM
I think the two big diffrences between a Boston Orlando series this year and last year is one, Garnett will play in this one and two the Magic do not have a answer for Rondo and the way he is playing right now. Noone in basketball can stop him from getting to the basket. But if Orlando is hitting their three pointers they are really tough to beat.

Fool
05-12-2010, 04:05 PM
They haven't made it past the Cavs yet.

runforrestrunx9
05-12-2010, 04:10 PM
I think any of the 5 teams left can win the whole thing without a doubt.... however, i do think the celtics will beat the cavs and i do think the magic will smoke the celtics

Raph12
05-12-2010, 04:11 PM
Yeah I agree. Boston is clearly the better defensive team and in no way is Orlando the best offensive team.

Get it all out, 4 (possibly 6) days left lol.

SteveNash
05-12-2010, 04:18 PM
So honestly, how confident are you if they were to face the Celtics? Knowing they could barely get passed the Celtics without KG?

topdog
05-12-2010, 04:20 PM
That's the thing with the Celtics - you don't know what you're gonna get. If Ray gets going and Perk can lock Dwight down, you never know how that series will go (assuming Boston gets there). I think people tend to forget that Perkins does a pretty good job taking opposing centers out of the game, but someone besides Rondo is gonna have to bring it consistently.

NBAfan4life
05-12-2010, 04:21 PM
So honestly, how confident are you if they were to face the Celtics? Knowing they could barely get passed the Celtics without KG?

Just because his name is KG does not mean he is the KG that was feared in their title run. I would love nothing more for boston to beat the Magic so the Lakers could repeat. Honestly the Magic are the only team I think left to get in the way of a repeat

celtisox41
05-12-2010, 04:25 PM
Just because his name is KG does not mean he is the KG that was feared in their title run. I would love nothing more for boston to beat the Magic so the Lakers could repeat. Honestly the Magic are the only team I think left to get in the way of a repeat

That's true but he is still a great player. And also you better hope orlando makes it because the lakers will have no shot at beating the celtics. It will be a repeat of the last game when the celtics beat the lakers by 30 and the lakers chose to just roll over. They have no heart and they won't win it no matter who makes it in the east

AntiG
05-12-2010, 04:26 PM
Cant see them or the Cavs beat Orlando in the ECF

People seem to forget that the Celtics absolutely destroyed the Lakers in 2008 to win the championship and last year took the Magic to game 7 without Garnett... the Celtics are healthy now and all of the their Big 4 are playing well now.

carter15
05-12-2010, 04:27 PM
Oh come on...

They also got dismantled twice themselves. As you probably remember I'm the guy who said he doesn't think the Celtics are dangerous. Yes I was wrong there a bit, however I'm still not scared of them whatsoever next round if we were to face em. Perhaps I'm wrong for thinking that, but I'm just not.

Sure they have dominated Cleveland a couple a games, but the exact opposite also happened twice, so no need to act like the Celtics are playing flawlessly here.

carter15
05-12-2010, 04:28 PM
People seem to forget that the Celtics absolutely destroyed the Lakers in 2008 to win the championship and last year took the Magic to game 7 without Garnett... the Celtics are healthy now and all of the their Big 4 are playing well now.

And YOU seem to forget that the Magic aren't the same team as last year. Their backcourt is miles better and now offer two lockdown defenders in Barnes and Pietrus. Add to it the vast improvement of the bench and the fact that we are firing on all cylinders now and we are a way different team then the KG-less Celtics took to 7 games.

AntiG
05-12-2010, 04:31 PM
And YOU seem to forget that the Magic aren't the same team as last year. Their backcourt is miles better and now offer two lockdown defenders in Barnes and Pietrus. Add to it the vast improvement of the bench and the fact that we are firing on all cylinders now and we are a way different team then the KG-less Celtics took to 7 games.

Which means we'll have a phenomenal grind it out matchup for the ECF coming up :D
I never discounted the Magic at all... this was a response to those that just assume the Magic will simply walk all over the Celtics. There's NO TEAM in the league that can do that to the Celtics outside of Atlanta, who for some strange reason always beats them.

celtisox41

The celtics also are a different team then they were, we have kg back, rondo has become a superstar, and allen is playing out of his mind

Raph12

I'm very confident, I feel like we can beat any team in the league right now. You're right, the Magic beat the Celts in 7 without KG, but they held big leads in every game, they just couldn't sustain it, plus they also did it with a Rafer-Lee backcourt, not a Nelson-Carter backcourt. Add the toughness of Barnes, the improvements in Dwight and Redick's game, 3 other new guys that can provide a spark off the bench (J-Will, Anderson and Bass) and this is a whole new ball team.

Magic in 6 regardless of who we play IMO.

NBAfan4life
05-12-2010, 04:33 PM
That's true but he is still a great player. And also you better hope orlando makes it because the lakers will have no shot at beating the celtics. It will be a repeat of the last game when the celtics beat the lakers by 30 and the lakers chose to just roll over. They have no heart and they won't win it no matter who makes it in the east

I in no way shape or form even slightly fear the celtics. These are not the 2008 celtics. Rondo way better Pierce and Garnett shells of their former selves. No phantom injury is going to ignite the crowd to steal a game. Ray Allen has not declined as bad, and most importantly the C's bench has is not the same.

BOSTON617
05-12-2010, 04:33 PM

this...

celtisox41
05-12-2010, 04:37 PM
I in no way shape or form even slightly fear the celtics. These are not the 2008 celtics. Rondo way better Pierce and Garnett shells of their former selves. No phantom injury is going to ignite the crowd to steal a game. Ray Allen has not declined as bad, and most importantly the C's bench has is not the same.

It is actually EXACTLY the same except for maybe two players. And pierce is not a shell of his former self, he is in a slump that doesnt make him a shell of his former self. It also wasnt a phantom injury and the lakers cant flop their way to a championship again

macc
05-12-2010, 04:37 PM
I can't say it enough. It's funny how many people bad mouthed Boston when they hit their tough stretch in the second half of the season. Now that they are giving the Cavs a fit (which the are completely capable of) people are now jumping back on the Boston bandwagon. I can say I never did and defended them often, even when they weren't losing to teams like New Jersey. They are just to talented not to be taken seriously.

With that being said they still haven't beaten Cleveland yet. Yes they have a 3-2 lead but I wouldn't give them the series that fast. 99% of you guys picked Cleveland to win the series before it started, now 95% of you guys are picking Boston to close it out. If Cleveland wins tomorrow, you guys will jump back on the Cleveland band wagon and pick them in game 7.

Boston has the talent to win it all. Will they? Who knows. My money is still on my team.

To all the Lebron haters now. People are jumping on/off the Lebron band wagon faster than the Boston one. Lebron is averaging 26.8 6.6 assists and 7.4 rpg in this series yet people are bagging on him for one average game. Which still wasn't a bad statline of 15 7 6 or something like that. People are bagging on Lebron but maybe, just maybe.....I don't know, Boston is playing great since they're a great team? I don't know, maybe that's just crazy talk...

Raph12
05-12-2010, 04:38 PM
I'm not discounting the Celts, but the thing is, if KG goes off, we can put Dwight on him, Barnes will make Pierce work hard, while Redick will be on Rayray like white on rice. Rondo will have to carry them every game and with Dwight downlow, it won't be easy for him to get layups like he does on Shaq, Varejao and Z... It definitely won't be easy, that's for sure, but I think we'll still pull through.

NBAfan4life
05-12-2010, 04:44 PM
It is actually EXACTLY the same except for maybe two players. And pierce is not a shell of his former self, he is in a slump that doesnt make him a shell of his former self. It also wasnt a phantom injury and the lakers cant flop their way to a championship again

Really you still have posey to guard bryant. You still have House and Powe as well. Those three were huge role players for the celtics in 08.

Everything came together then it will not if they were to sneak past orlando now.

macc
05-12-2010, 04:47 PM
The celtics also are a different team then they were, we have kg back, rondo has become a superstar, and allen is playing out of his mind

Why is it when people talk about last years series they only bring up the fact that KG was out? Our all star pg was out as well and we had Rafer Alston in his place. People act like it was a fully healthy Orlando vs a beat up Boston.

Bottom line is injuries are part of the game. That's why you have a 15 man roster. If one player goes down then one or two players step up and account for the production of that starter that got injured.

In the finals we had Nelson finally back who was just a shell of himself and was the key matchup against the lakers. Having him 100% could have been the difference since two of the games were extremely close. In any case I don't make excuses, injuries happen. One team won, the other lost. Deal with it.

MagicDojo
05-12-2010, 04:50 PM
I am so tired of the argument that the Magic barely beat Boston cause KG was not there. The Magic had to start Rafer Alston! Jameer Nelson is a huge part of the Magic. He has dismantled every team we have played by getting into the paint and shooting 60% from the field in the playoffs.
The Magic were 8-5 at this point in the playoffs last year. this year they are a better team and they are 8-0 so far. Boston fans cannot say Atlanta was no good cause they swept you this year...Orlando went 7-1 against the team that swept you this season. I would be worried if I was Boston or Clevland.
Dont forget Boston was up 3-2 over the Magic last year and lost 2 in a row.

Nighthawk
05-12-2010, 04:53 PM
I am so tired of the argument that the Magic barely beat Boston cause KG was not there. The Magic had to start Rafer Alston! Jameer Nelson is a huge part of the Magic. He has dismantled every team we have played by getting into the paint and shooting 60% from the field in the playoffs.
The Magic were 8-5 at this point in the playoffs last year. this year they are a better team and they are 8-0 so far. Boston fans cannot say Atlanta was no good cause they swept you this year...Orlando went 7-1 against the team that swept you this season. I would be worried if I was Boston or Clevland.
Dont forget Boston was up 3-2 over the Magic last year and lost 2 in a row.

Hmm C's were missing HOF Garnett. Magic was missing Nelson. Big diff. Hes a good player but whos he gone up against. Rookie Brandon Jennings and old declining Mike Bibby. If he takes Rondo to school i'll be impressed. Then again hes gunna have to guard Rondo as well. Watch out. The only matchup i like for ORL is Howard over Perk and D-12 HAS GONE ON RECORD saying Perk d's him up the best. Definitely going 7 games

hugepatsfan
05-12-2010, 04:57 PM
I'm not discounting the Celts, but the thing is, if KG goes off, we can put Dwight on him, Barnes will make Pierce work hard, while Redick will be on Rayray like white on rice. Rondo will have to carry them every game and with Dwight downlow, it won't be easy for him to get layups like he does on Shaq, Varejao and Z... It definitely won't be easy, that's for sure, but I think we'll still pull through.

Please do. If Dwight is on KG he will have to stay out of the paint to combat KG's mid range jumper. That opens things up for Rondo in the lane.

macc
05-12-2010, 04:58 PM

That is one HUGE point that you made. I love Rondo and his playmaking abilities, but that's what makes Rondo less efficient against the Magic.
This year Rondo shot 41% while avg 13ppg against us. He's not getting all those easy layups and jumpers in the lane because you got Dwight Howard on the block. IF Boston makes it past Cleveland then I hope Rondo develops a jump shot quickly because he's not going to be as effective against the Magic as he is against the Cavs.

macc
05-12-2010, 05:01 PM
Hmm C's were missing HOF Garnett. Magic was missing Nelson. Big diff. Hes a good player but whos he gone up against. Rookie Brandon Jennings and old declining Mike Bibby. If he takes Rondo to school i'll be impressed. Then again hes gunna have to guard Rondo as well. Watch out. The only matchup i like for ORL is Howard over Perk and D-12 HAS GONE ON RECORD saying Perk d's him up the best. Definitely going 7 games

Howard has also gone on record saying the same thing about Brandon Hayword, then scored something like 26 pts and 14 rebounds on him. Nelson can't guard Rondo, I don't think anyone will debate that, but once Rondo gets past Nelson (which he will at will) he'll have Howard standing there. To me I'm fine with that.

Nelson didn't play Jennings, he played Felton and the number 2 defensive team in the NBA in Charlotte.

hugepatsfan
05-12-2010, 05:01 PM
For the Celts to beat ORL Sheed needs to step up. If he and KG are out there, they can drag Dwight out of the paint and open things up for Pierce and Rondo going to the rim.

TheRazorboy
05-12-2010, 05:04 PM
Rookie Brandon Jennings

I realize 'obcats' and 'ucks' is almost exactly the same and all, but...

The Prodigy
05-12-2010, 05:14 PM
I hate when people make excuses for Pro Athletes when they lose a game. When Lebron teams wins its all "oh did you see the numbers he puts up" but as soon as he loses its "oh he hasn't played with heart this whole series". Just because he doesn't go off for 40 doesn't mean he didn't play with heart. Just because hes haveing a "bad" game its could be due to the fact the Celtics played him well. I guess he wasn't playing with heart when he went for 38, 8, and 7. If you notice the trend in the games from the first too this one now you'll notice his performance is decreasing not due to the fact he isnt playing with heart. There are a few reasons why. 1)Doc Rivers is adjusting their defense while Mike Brown has done *****. 2) His elbow may actually hurt.
So everyone stop saying he playing with no heart. Give credit where credit is due.
And I dont Like the Celtics or Lebron. I hate them both equally.

TheChamp
05-12-2010, 05:20 PM
If the Celtics try they will beat the Magic, the Celtics are better overall but the Magic are obviously the hottest team in the NBA right now. They will have to look for more help since Rondo won't be having a huge game each time with Nelson guarding him.

Matchups:
PG Rondo, Nelson/Win Rondo, but very, very close in my opinion
SG Allen, Carter/Win Carter
SF Pierce, Barnes/Win Pierce
PF Garnet, Lewis/Tie if KG is down and Lewis is hot
C Perkins, Howard/Win Howard hands down

ZioAx
05-12-2010, 05:21 PM
They will raise banner #18 in June

celtisox41
05-12-2010, 05:25 PM
Really you still have posey to guard bryant. You still have House and Powe as well. Those three were huge role players for the celtics in 08.

Everything came together then it will not if they were to sneak past orlando now.

Posey is the only one they haven't replaced, but rondo is a great defensive player and pierce won't be too bad on bryant

magichatnumber9
05-12-2010, 05:30 PM
Hows Garnett's Knee?

Gibby23
05-12-2010, 05:31 PM

KG can't guard Rashard. Maybe in the past, but not now.

Gibby23
05-12-2010, 05:32 PM
Posey is the only one they haven't replaced, but rondo is a great defensive player and pierce won't be too bad on bryant

lol, get past James and Carter before you start putting the wased up Boston SF on Bryant.

celtisox41
05-12-2010, 05:41 PM
lol, get past James and Carter before you start putting the wased up Boston SF on Bryant.

He isnt washed up, everyone is suddenly discounting how good he is just because of one bad series. He has always been underrated

Gibby23
05-12-2010, 05:42 PM
He isnt washed up, everyone is suddenly discounting how good he is just because of one bad series. He has always been underrated

He might not be washed up, but he isn't that good.

Niro
05-12-2010, 05:54 PM
how far can they go?
2. round

:p:p:p:p

BOSTON617
05-12-2010, 05:55 PM
He might not be washed up, but he isn't that good.

wow :facepalm: pierce is actually clutch and he is actually a hofer so ya that is jsut a dumb statement and i can assure you artest could not stop pierce look at pierces numbers when artest covers him ;)

Gibby23
05-12-2010, 05:58 PM
wow :facepalm: pierce is actually clutch and he is actually a hofer so ya that is jsut a dumb statement and i can assure you artest could not stop pierce look at pierces numbers when artest covers him ;)

This year he averaged 13 points and shot 40% in 2 games.;)

BOSTON617
05-12-2010, 06:38 PM
we'll see haha

JordansBulls
05-12-2010, 06:39 PM

They have Vince now. Which means either Ray or Pierce are on lock. You saw what Vince did to Joe Johnson.

RadiantShot
05-12-2010, 06:52 PM

If you're going to make an argument, don't make a stupid one.

"Last year took the Magic to game 7 without Garnett."

We didn't have Jameer Nelson. So? Jameer Nelson was Pretty much -- Almost -- As valuable as Kevin Garnett, for his spot on the team. We didn't have Carter, Barnes, Anderson, Bass, & Jason Williams, but instead, we had Rafer Alston, Courtney Lee, Hedo Turkoglu, and Tony Battie. Ew.

You can make a case that we "Barely" got by you, but in actuality, you had the same chances we had going into the ECF; Especially because we didn't have Nelson.

You guys are the same as last year, before you lost Kevin Garnett; We are better than last year by miles, and we beat you last year without our All-Star Point-Guard, so who's to say we can't beat Boston again?

Just some food for thought.

RadiantShot
05-12-2010, 06:54 PM
They have Vince now. Which means either Ray or Pierce are on lock. You saw what Vince did to Joe Johnson.

You forgot Pietrus and Barnes. Two more Lock-down defenders for em'.

;)

Anyways, "We'll see come June." ;)

RaptorsFanatic
05-12-2010, 06:54 PM
Highest chances of winning Championship.

1) Lakers
2) Magic
3) Boston (Only and ONLY because they have an upper hand going into Game 6)
4) Cleveland
5) Phoenix

Don't hate, just an opinion.

nycsports2
05-12-2010, 06:57 PM
think theyll lose to magic but they can win it

nycsports2
05-12-2010, 06:57 PM
Highest chances of winning Championship.

1) Lakers
2) Magic
3) Boston (Only and ONLY because they have an upper hand going into Game 6)
4) Cleveland
5) Phoenix

Don't hate, just an opinion.

this is my opinion

ko8e24
05-12-2010, 07:10 PM
Lakers vs Celtics

2010 NBA Finals

/thread

KnickFanSince91
05-12-2010, 07:11 PM
The Celtics are only good enough to beat the one man shows. They are too old, too slow, too inconsistant and too shallow to beat the Magic.

RadiantShot
05-12-2010, 07:11 PM
Hahah.
Kobe makes me laugh.

Kakaroach
05-12-2010, 07:13 PM
Celtics can win the championship if things fall their way.

Jays Claw
05-12-2010, 07:14 PM
They'll make it past the Cavaliers.

However, they won't stand a chance against the Magic.

jojoe1188
05-12-2010, 07:16 PM
the matchups:

rondo vs. nelson: rondo. nelson is really good, but rondo is on the cusp of being elite. rondo can drive by nelson. nelson probably will be able to post him up, but the with the celtic's great help defense I don't see him being a huge offensive factor unless he gets going from three land. either way i still think it's rondo

allen vs. carter: wash. neither one can play that good of defense on the other. i can see both of them averaging 18+ for the series

pierce vs. barnes: pierce. i have full faith that pierce is just suffering from having to guard lebron and having lebron guard him. his highest scoring output (game 5) came when lebron was switching on to rondo. pierce could be the x-factor of the whole series

garnett vs. lewis: garnett, but not by much. garnett completely takes away lewis's post game, which is big but not a back breaker because he can drain the 3. orlando needs lewis to stretch the floor and get garnett away from the basket. garnett will be able to post up on lewis all day on the other end.

howard vs. perkins: howard. however, perkins has proven that he can stick with elite centers defensively. considering the other match ups, i think orlando may be forced to rely on dwight a little more as a scoring option than they/he is accustomed to. this plays somewhat into the celtics hand, but howard is just too good.

bench: magic.

coaching: wash. both have been to the finals and know how to win.

for me, based on the match ups, this basically comes down to how well the magic shoot the 3. the celtics can get to the basket a little better. it's going to be a great series (if they get by the cavs, knock on wood). celtics in 7

RadiantShot
05-12-2010, 07:18 PM
The bench is a wash?
Oh, man. Definitely not. Sorry man. ;)

hineswardfan
05-12-2010, 07:20 PM
ECF. I still hope Cavs come back though...

jojoe1188
05-12-2010, 07:21 PM
The bench is a wash?
Oh, man. Definitely not. Sorry man. ;)

haven't watched enough complete magic games to have a good understanding of their bench. enlighten me

Shaddix
05-12-2010, 07:27 PM
Depends on how far the NBA refs want them to go.

RadiantShot
05-12-2010, 07:30 PM
Well, we have the best bench in the league. I'm pretty sure that should suffice.

Anyways, Jason Williams, I believe, led the league, or was in the top-some-odd-amount, in Assist to Turnover Ratio, while coming off the bench; On top of that, he's a veteran, with great experience.

Mickael Pietrus is good enough to start for any other team, and he has the lock down defense so that's always a plus; He can also get hot from the field, and Three Point range.

J.J. Redick has come SO far as a player, and he's light's out from the field. He's not the Redick from last year. This year, he can create plays for himself, almost pertaining to the likes of Hedo.

Brandon Bass was amazing for the Mavericks, and he's got that edgy, yet, finesse offense, for a Power-forward, and he can really throw it down; He gives quality minutes.

Ryan Anderson is pretty much a poor-man's Shard, and he's still really young. He can spread the floor, and cleanup baskets easily, which makes him perfect for Orlando.

Gortat is one of the best, if not, the best backup Center in the league, playing behind All-Star Dwight Howard, and doing a pretty incredible job. He's got a decent post-game, and he can rebound.

Anthony Johnson still has great experience, but that shouldn't be much of a factor in this discussion.

If you've read up on the Magic, you should know that we have the deepest roster in the league. Just sayin'.

RadiantShot
05-12-2010, 07:30 PM
Depends on how far the NBA refs want them to go.

Oh puh-lease. Be quiet.

Bishnoff
05-12-2010, 07:33 PM
I don't think they will get past Orlando.

Raph12
05-12-2010, 07:37 PM
For the Celts to beat ORL Sheed needs to step up. If he and KG are out there, they can drag Dwight out of the paint and open things up for Pierce and Rondo going to the rim.

When Sheed is on the floor or if KG is lighting Lewis up, Dwight guards him, but Pierce doesn't like to attack the rim much anymore, especially with Barnes harassing him, won't be easy for him to get to the basket. I'll be okay with Rondo scoring 20-30ppg in the series, as long as we shutdown the rest of them. Remember, we let Lebron go off last season, shutdown his teammates and won in 6 (could've been a sweep if you take his gamewinning 3 out).

I'm not saying we're going to roll over the Celts, but I do feel confident about our chances.

ADDED: With Sheed on the floor, Dwight will be able to score much easier than he can on Perk, which will force the Celts to double, leaving our shooters open. If Perk stays on the floor, Dwight stays under the basket and the perimeter defenders run guys off the 3, forcing the Celts into the lane where Dwight protects the basket, making them take midrange jumpers or try to go over him... Like I said, I'm just confident about our chances, Magic in 6.

jojoe1188
05-12-2010, 07:41 PM
When Sheed is on the floor or if KG is lighting Lewis up, Dwight guards him, but Pierce doesn't like to attack the rim much anymore, especially with Barnes harassing him, won't be easy for him to get to the basket. I'll be okay with Rondo scoring 20-30ppg in the series, as long as we shutdown the rest of them. Remember, we let Lebron go off last season, shutdown his teammates and won in 6 (could've been a sweep if you take his gamewinning 3 out).

I'm not saying we're going to roll over the Celts, but I do feel confident about our chances.

as i said in my post, i really believe this is a byproduct of being tired from guarding lebron and lebron guarding him.

RadiantShot
05-12-2010, 07:47 PM
Any response to my post, JoeJoe. ;)?

jojoe1188
05-12-2010, 07:53 PM
about the bench? yea i completely forgot about pietrus. he was huge in the playoffs last year. i'm really interested to see the second units that doc mixes and matches to counter the magic bench. there are certainly match ups to be exploited on both sides. if garnett takes lewis out of his game, however, which is a real possibility, i think the celtics have just as much of an advantage in the starting 5 as the magic do on the bench. and like i said before, this all comes down to whether the magic are hot from 3, because the matchups are gonna force them to do so, that or rely more on howard for scoring, and who knows how that will turn out. either way this series goes no less than 6.

RadiantShot
05-12-2010, 07:54 PM
Can't wait for it. Should be a really entertaining series. :clap:

Raph12
05-12-2010, 07:56 PM
as i said in my post, i really believe this is a byproduct of being tired from guarding lebron and lebron guarding him.

I had the Celts on my league pass, I watched them play a lot, they only time I'd see Pierce attack the basket would be in transition. In half court sets, Pierce would seldom attack the rim, of course you'd see it once or twice a game, but he's no longer that same guy who attacks the basket with reckless abandon, especially with Dwight under there.

Raph12
05-12-2010, 08:00 PM
about the bench? yea i completely forgot about pietrus. he was huge in the playoffs last year. i'm really interested to see the second units that doc mixes and matches to counter the magic bench. there are certainly match ups to be exploited on both sides. if garnett takes lewis out of his game, however, which is a real possibility, i think the celtics have just as much of an advantage in the starting 5 as the magic do on the bench. and like i said before, this all comes down to whether the magic are hot from 3, because the matchups are gonna force them to do so, that or rely more on howard for scoring, and who knows how that will turn out. either way this series goes no less than 6.

No one can take Lewis out, because Lewis scores two ways, doing a p&r with to post up a smaller defender or shoot the open 3, if KG just stays on him like white on rice, it will open the lane up for Dwight, VC and Nelson.

I see it going 6 as well, with Magic coming out on top.

jojoe1188
05-12-2010, 08:01 PM
I had the Celts on my league pass, I watched them play a lot, they only time I'd see Pierce attack the basket would be in transition. In half court sets, Pierce would seldom attack the rim, of course you'd see it once or twice a game, but he's no longer that same guy who attacks the basket with reckless abandon, especially with Dwight under there.

i definitely noticed a decline in how much he drives to the basket, but considering in the past decade he's been one of the best penetrators :rolleyes: in the league, i think it's somewhat mental (could be dwight's presence like you said). ray has actually been getting to the basket better than paul, but against carter ray is jsut gonna be running off screens all day hovering at the three. if pierce gets his mid range game back though, watch out. the celtics as currently constituted with rondo's improvements are almost impossible to stop on offense if pierce has that elbow jumper going with KG on the block, ray shooting threes, and rondo driving and dishing.

side note to magic fans, you think the team will give tickets to the kid who big baby knocked over? that'd be funny lol

hugepatsfan
05-12-2010, 11:42 PM

ADDED: With Sheed on the floor, Dwight will be able to score much easier than he can on Perk, which will force the Celts to double, leaving our shooters open. If Perk stays on the floor, Dwight stays under the basket and the perimeter defenders run guys off the 3, forcing the Celts into the lane where Dwight protects the basket, making them take midrange jumpers or try to go over him... Like I said, I'm just confident about our chances, Magic in 6.

I remember when the Celts signed Sheed there were national writers on Boston radio (including Marc Spears, who covered Sheed in DET) talking about how he had always defended Dwight well. That was considered the biggest part of the signing by most.

Tony_Starks
05-12-2010, 11:54 PM
Boston still has to play game 6 against a team that blew them out by 30 on their home floor right? Just checking. I wouldn't be looking at Orlando just yet, Lebron may actually show up for game's 6 and 7....

Raph12
05-13-2010, 12:47 AM
I remember when the Celts signed Sheed there were national writers on Boston radio (including Marc Spears, who covered Sheed in DET) talking about how he had always defended Dwight well. That was considered the biggest part of the signing by most.

That was in the past, when Dwight was playing against Detroit, McDyess and Sheed took turns playing Dwight, both giving him trouble...

Dwight's made great strides in his game since then, even Perk admitted that Dwight's game got better, that he was forcing Dwight to take the shots that he wanted, but Dwight kept hitting them, he said he'd have to take his defense up to the next level. His improvements on offense may be another key in winning/losing this year.

i definitely noticed a decline in how much he drives to the basket, but considering in the past decade he's been one of the best penetrators :rolleyes: in the league, i think it's somewhat mental (could be dwight's presence like you said). ray has actually been getting to the basket better than paul, but against carter ray is jsut gonna be running off screens all day hovering at the three. if pierce gets his mid range game back though, watch out. the celtics as currently constituted with rondo's improvements are almost impossible to stop on offense if pierce has that elbow jumper going with KG on the block, ray shooting threes, and rondo driving and dishing.

side note to magic fans, you think the team will give tickets to the kid who big baby knocked over? that'd be funny lol

Rayray will be guarded by JJ, who may be the only guy in the league who can run with Rayray around/through all of the picks/screens and get a hand in his face. JJ is very well conditioned and can run with him all game long, a big reason why he was a non-factor in the series last year. Barnes and Pietrus will both definitely harass Pierce, if he does have big games, he'll have to be shooting really well or become a volume shooter. KG will be the difference-maker, if he can score on Shard, then Dwight will have to guard him, which will open the lane up to Rondo, but like I said, I'm willing to let Rondo go off, as long as we shutdown his teammates. If KG can't perform at a high level, Dwight will be all over Rondo in the paint, he'll become a non-factor like he was in the season series...

I was the first guy to say that teams shouldn't overlook Boston, I'd personally rather face the Cavs over them (Dwight would rip the Shaq/Z/Varejao/Hickson combo), but I like the matchups and I like the way we're playing right now. We've been playing at a very high level on both ends since the first half of the season (41-9 since, won 28 of our last 31 games and 14 straight) and if that translates over to the ECFs and the NBA Finals, I don't see anyone stopping us.

michelangelo
05-13-2010, 01:37 AM
Magic has the younger superstars and great size across the frontline.

The C's have been doing a great job winning by committee against Cleveland.

I like both teams, sucks that one has to lose. You could make a strong case for either being in the finals.

I figure the magic have some unfinished business in the finals, especially with Jameer being injured last year. It's a chance at redemption if they can make it back. And I hope they do.

KnickFanSince91
05-13-2010, 01:45 PM
I just can't understand what Celtics team people are talking about. You would think this isn't the same team that played.500 ball since christmas with some of these posts. Their bench is inconsistent at best, their frontline is declining but the backcourt is still pretty good. They would have to get by a team with the best bench in the league, the 2nd best frontline (behind the lakers) and pretty good backcourt themselves. Orlando wins this matchup easily.

tangent12
05-13-2010, 03:28 PM
Tonight will tell a lot about this team. They have the opportunity tonight to close the Cavs out in their home court.

D1JM
05-13-2010, 04:20 PM
Kg is going to have and help guard Howard leaving Lewis open for a three. if it's not pietrus, it's Carter or someone with an open three. Boston bench sucks in comparison to last year, 08 and u guys ****ed up getting rid of house. Plus, Boston will get killed if rondo tries to get rebounds instead of focusing in transition defence. Magic are way more polished than what they were early on or last year. Please, Boston fans don't bring up 08, 09 cuz this is 2010.

surf and turf
05-13-2010, 04:27 PM
All this Boston vs. Orlando talk is bad Karma. Even though Boston is 33-1 when leading a series 3-2.

RadiantShot
05-13-2010, 07:09 PM
I agree with Surf and Turf. We can't count anything out yet. This is the Playoffs. Where will amazing happen this year?

LMAO. Just kidding, but seriously, let's not jinx it. Just watch game 6, and if it happens, it happens.

Jays Claw
05-13-2010, 07:12 PM
This should be a fun game to watch! :up:

Lil Rhody
05-13-2010, 07:31 PM
bwahahahahhaha Lebron = pre championship Manning Cavs = Colts........ Best team and player during the season but biggest chokers in the playoffs

tmacsc2
05-13-2010, 07:47 PM
i can see them going as far as the cavs or the magic or the suns or the lakers i mean the last series is the championship right???

JordansBulls
05-14-2010, 12:08 AM
Celtics can win it all now.

Tragedy
05-14-2010, 12:13 AM
bwahahahahhaha Lebron = pre championship Manning Cavs = Colts........ Best team and player during the season but biggest chokers in the playoffs
It annoys me that people will call LeBron a "choker" in this situation. Look, no one takes more delight in seeing LeBron, that team, and that city lose to us in the Playoffs. But choke? I hate that word because it takes away from what the other team accomplished. I'm one of the many that thought Cleveland would win the series, but so what. Celtics are still a very, very tough team going down their roster.

MTar786
05-14-2010, 12:24 AM
Lakers vs boston. Lakers win it in 6

DMasta718
05-14-2010, 12:41 AM

Can't really put the blame solely on Lebron. If anything, Blame Mike B.

Lil Rhody
05-14-2010, 05:27 AM
It annoys me that people will call LeBron a "choker" in this situation. Look, no one takes more delight in seeing LeBron, that team, and that city lose to us in the Playoffs. But choke? I hate that word because it takes away from what the other team accomplished. I'm one of the many that thought Cleveland would win the series, but so what. Celtics are still a very, very tough team going down their roster.

not taking anything away from any of the teams he played against and lost to because basketball is a team sport butttttt if he was MJ and the GOAT as most people around here put him he would have elevated his game in any of those loses. Everyone remembers MJ, Bird, and Magic, (just examples) because of the great games and moments they had in the playoffs

Anon
05-14-2010, 06:08 AM
They are about to get beat down. This series will not be close.

magichatnumber9
05-14-2010, 06:18 AM
They are about to get beat down. This series will not be close.
big fella. It will be interesting

shep33
05-14-2010, 06:42 AM
Boston could do it, I've picked the Magic since day 1 though and i think they'll make it to the finals again. Honestly the key is Rondo, he has to play like he did against the Cavs and Moe Williams got owned by him. Now with the Magic, Jameer Nelson is bigger than Moe, and oh yeah D12 is waiting back there just in case. Gotta keep the Magic under 100, and I just think Orlando is too athletic all around. Its amazing too, if D12 doesn't even score much the Magic have enough firepower to make up for it, all he has to do is rebound and get blocks.

But again Boston could do it if Rondo plays spectacular again, just hard to see though with Nelson being a stronger defender and D12 controlling the paint. Clevelands tempo killed them, and they seemed scared, with the Magics athleticism i think they have a big advantage.

Ishkabibble
05-14-2010, 12:23 PM
Athleticism, shmathleticism....how often is that usually-subject-to-debate-anyway benefit become a non-issue during the course of a 7-game series? Constantly.
Postseason experience and veteran saavy matters as much; probably more. Just as importantly, no one person remaining in the playoffs has a history of doing a "disappearing act" like Dwight Howard.

shep33
05-14-2010, 02:38 PM
Athleticism, shmathleticism....how often is that usually-subject-to-debate-anyway benefit become a non-issue during the course of a 7-game series? Constantly.
Postseason experience and veteran saavy matters as much; probably more. Just as importantly, no one person remaining in the playoffs has a history of doing a "disappearing act" like Dwight Howard.

Your right about experience, but experience still doesn't make up for a team's weakness. Look at the Spurs, people said the same thing about them, but the up and down game and the athleticism of the Suns was just way too much, they controlled the tempo and won the series. Matchups are everything in the playoffs, Atlanta for instance woulda fared better against Boston no question, Cleveland and Miami's halfcourt game was an advantage for the Celtics.