PDA

View Full Version : Just How Dominant The Magic Have Been???

ManRam
05-11-2010, 01:35 PM
Posted this in the Magic forum. It is really mind-boggling. Sorry to create another thread...but I think this is worth the read.

ATLANTA -- We interrupt the brewing Kobe versus LeBron storyline potentially awaiting us in the conference finals to bring you this important bulletin: The Orlando Magic are putting together one of the most dominant late-season runs in history, and perhaps it's time we started paying attention. Monday's 98-84 win over Atlanta in Game 4 didn't just put the finishing touches on a laughably one-sided four-game sweep, or keep the Magic's playoff record a perfect 8-0 against two overmatched teams.

No, this goes much deeper. Orlando is on a torrid hot streak and nobody seems to have noticed.

Want to guess the Magic's record in their 30 games since March 1?

Would you believe 27-3?

Yes, 27-3. That's not a typo. That's their mark in a slate in which 18 of the 30 opponents were playoff teams. And before you dismiss the most recent opposition so easily, remember that the Hawks team they handled so easily won more games than Boston, San Antonio and Portland and as many as Denver and Utah. In fact the Hawks beat all of those teams at least once, as well as the Lakers and Suns, and swept Boston 4-0.

So the Magic have beat a lot of good teams. Actually, that's an understatement. They aren't just beating people -- they're killing them. Twenty of the 27 wins have been by double figures, and many were one-sided beatdowns -- such as the wins by 43 and 30 over Atlanta in Games 1 and 3. Monday's win, by a mere 14, barely moved the needle on their average victory margin.

See if you can wrap your heads around this one: Orlando has outscored opponents by a whopping 421 points over its past 30 games. To put this in perspective, the Lakers, Suns and Celtics -- who could be the other three teams left standing when the conference finals start next week -- didn't outscore the opposition by 421 points over the entirety of the 82-game regular season, much less in the final 30 games of it.

That's an average of 14 points per game, which simply isn't done over long stretches -- nobody else in the NBA had an average margin even half that size during the regular season.

This isn't run-of-the-mill good, people. This is blow-your-doors-off, hide-the-women-and-children level domination. The Magic are so good that Stan Van Gundy is in danger of running out of things to worry about.

"There were times where we didn't rebound as well as we could," he said after a moment of reflection, "but I thought every time we had a problem and pointed it out our guys made the correction."

So, why aren't we talking about the Magic again? For starters, they're not making themselves a very interesting topic because they're winning so easily. Neither the Atlanta nor the Charlotte series enjoyed much TV discussion, because there wasn't anything worth discussing besides "When does this end?"

Additionally, they're not a big market. Plus, their best player is a dominating defender but doesn't have the most refined offensive game, so they don't have the type of marketable star like Kobe or LeBron that would suck in casual fans.

What they do have, however, is the best team in basketball. There can be no serious doubt about this right now, not with the LeBrons struggling to get past Boston, and not with the Lakers, however recovered they seem, having lost more times in their past 20 games than Orlando has in its past 40.

Once again, the catalyst was point guard Jameer Nelson, who has quietly been one of the league's best players in this postseason. He had five buckets and five assists as the Magic ended the first quarter with an 11-point lead, and then helped put them in total cruise control from there, finishing with 16 points and nine assists.

Much-maligned Vince Carter also had a strong game in the closeout special, scoring a game-high 22 points. While his credentials as a go-to guy have been questioned, it's a completely different -- and scary -- story when he's the third or fourth option spotting up on the weak side. Monday he made 4 of his 7 3-point attempts.

"We just shot the ball extremely well," said Van Gundy, whose team made 16 3-pointers "It would have been very tough for anybody to beat us the way we shot the ball."

The Magic now get six days to rest -- or perhaps eight -- while they await the winner of the Cleveland-Boston series. They aren't taking anything for granted, though -- not when the Cavaliers were in the midst of a similar run last season before Orlando knocked them out in the conference finals.

"The one thing about playoff basketball," said Van Gundy, "is you have to get beyond the last series. It has no meaning on the series coming up."

Nonetheless, the Magic have to like their position heading into the conference finals. They're healthy, they're rested, and they're on a roll like few teams in history have ever been on.

"I don't think you ever expect that [dominance]," said Van Gundy. "The thing that we've been the best at, is our guys bring it every night. So if we're better than you, we're going to win, we're not going to let up and get beat by a team we shouldn't lose to. Every round that gets harder, because you're not necessarily better. But our team has been good with that."

If so, it's a scary proposition for Cleveland, Boston and whoever comes out of the West. Because the preponderance of evidence suggests the Magic are better than anybody right now.

Thank You John Hollinger (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/playoffs/2010/columns/story?columnist=hollinger_john&page=magicsweepgame4-100510)

That's insane.

hugepatsfan
05-11-2010, 01:39 PM
We've seen that much rest be a bad thing before.

leftymo
05-11-2010, 01:40 PM
1. Hollinger is completely clueless. I wouldn't go by anything he writes.

2. Orlando is certainly playing very well and by far have a deep and talented team. I thought that in the pre-season and its quite evident come playoff time.

3. Part of winning a title is a struggle. Boston two years ago had 2 7-game series, the Lakers last year went to 7 games with Houston and 6 with Denver. The Laker team that went 15-1 in the playoffs were also defending champs. So while this run has been impressive, the character of the Orlando Magic will be revealed through adversity. The next series should help with that. I think Orlando will return to the finals, and since they'll have home court, they should be favored to beat the Lakers.

4. If there is one team that could beat the Magic, it would be a team that could put a physical defender on Vince, have the length to matchup with Dwight and Rashard. Coaching is about equal, and as crazy as that sounds, Van Gundy is one heck of a coach. Lakers/Magic should be interesting.

*Superman*
05-11-2010, 01:40 PM
@ hugepatsfan: Not when the coach is SVG and when we are used to it by now. (Cat's series)

hugepatsfan
05-11-2010, 01:41 PM
3. Part of winning a title is a struggle. Boston two years ago had 2 7-game series, the Lakers last year went to 7 games with Houston and 6 with Denver. The Laker team that went 15-1 in the playoffs were also defending champs. So while this run has been impressive, the character of the Orlando Magic will be revealed through adversity. The next series should help with that. I think Orlando will return to the finals, and since they'll have home court, they should be favored to beat the Lakers.

Bingo. Not saying ORL won't win, but this is what they still have to show me. They won't breeze through the next two rounds.

J-Relo
05-11-2010, 01:42 PM
they've been really consistent

HeatBBall
05-11-2010, 01:42 PM
DAMN THOSE ARE SOME CRAZY MIND BLOWING FIGURES. I personally think the Magic are the team to beat. I always felt that once VC meshes with the team more and more that they'd be unstoppable.. and so far they are proving that in the playoffs...::cough, excuse me since March. hahaha.

hugepatsfan
05-11-2010, 01:43 PM
@ hugepatsfan: Not when the coach is SVG and when we are used to it by now. (Cat's series)

Not saying it dooms a team every time, but it could have a bad effect. ATL didn't seem interested in fighting. I thought they layed down like dogs - tough to judge a team agianst them. ORL played great, but ATL showed no fight. CHA just isn't that good.

ManRam
05-11-2010, 01:43 PM

There is about zero opinion in this piece. So who cares how much you hate him?

2. Orlando is certainly playing very well and by far have a deep and talented team. I thought that in the pre-season and its quite evident come playoff time.

Yes. And he just pointed out how they are playing much more than "very well".

You may be right. Or you may be wrong. But we've had our fair share of tough series the past three years.

4. If there is one team that could beat the Magic, it would be a team that could put a physical defender on Vince, have the length to matchup with Dwight and Rashard. Coaching is about equal, and as crazy as that sounds, Van Gundy is one heck of a coach. Lakers/Magic should be interesting.

You make it sound easy ;)

Obviously we are beatable...I just thought it was crazy how much we have flat out dominated our opponents lately. It's literally mind-boggling.

And SVG is a god.

lakersrock
05-11-2010, 01:46 PM
They're winning because they're shooting lights out from 3....which won't last forever.

I said in another thread the reason they destroyed Atlanta is because they wouldn't quit doubling Howard and leaving shooters open.

They outscored Atlanta by 101. They outscored Atlanta from 3 by 87. Like I said. Make Howard beat you over 7 games. Don't leave shooters open, don't double Howard and make him earn the win himself offensively. No doubt he's been playing great, but if he doesn't have the option of kicking it out, he'll quit taking great shots only and take great and bad shots....thus lowering his % and his confidence a bit. People are playing Orlando all wrong. Don't double ANYONE. It'll get you killed.

Chronz
05-11-2010, 01:49 PM

Points made in 1 and 4 contradict eachother. How can Van Gundy be a great coach yet Hollinger be a fool if the 2 have mutual respect for the other?

ManRam
05-11-2010, 01:50 PM
They're winning because they're shooting lights out from 3....which won't last forever.

I said in another thread the reason they destroyed Atlanta is because they wouldn't quit doubling Howard and leaving shooters open.

They outscored Atlanta by 101. They outscored Atlanta from 3 by 87. Like I said. Make Howard beat you over 7 games. Don't leave shooters open, don't double Howard and make him earn the win himself offensively. No doubt he's been playing great, but if he doesn't have the option of kicking it out, he'll quit taking great shots only and take great and bad shots....thus lowering his % and his confidence a bit. People are playing Orlando all wrong. Don't double ANYONE. It'll get you killed.

It's lasted 30 games. That's not forever?? That's a ****ing LONG time. It's actually been longer than that. Try the last two seasons.

And if you think all we can do is shoot threes, I hope Phil thinks so too...because you'll be in for a rude awakening.

Don't double Jameer, Vince or Howard. See how that goes ;)

E.O.21
05-11-2010, 01:51 PM
Lets see when they face a better team

thescore53
05-11-2010, 01:52 PM
there just like the cavs last year,

ManRam
05-11-2010, 01:53 PM
You guys seem to have missed this part...complaining about weak competition.

Yes, 27-3. That's not a typo. That's their mark in a slate in which 18 of the 30 opponents were playoff teams. And before you dismiss the most recent opposition so easily, remember that the Hawks team they handled so easily won more games than Boston, San Antonio and Portland and as many as Denver and Utah. In fact the Hawks beat all of those teams at least once, as well as the Lakers and Suns, and swept Boston 4-0.

See if you can wrap your heads around this one: Orlando has outscored opponents by a whopping 421 points over its past 30 games. To put this in perspective, the Lakers, Suns and Celtics -- who could be the other three teams left standing when the conference finals start next week -- didn't outscore the opposition by 421 points over the entirety of the 82-game regular season, much less in the final 30 games of it.

ManRam
05-11-2010, 01:54 PM

Care to elaborate? Or is this just another one line wonder?

Why, because they started 8-0? Haha.

Gibby23
05-11-2010, 01:56 PM

Except for the simple fact that this is the team that took the Cavs out last year and knows what it takes to get to the Finals. They know how to win and are doing it at a high clip.

The only team so far that is like the Cavs last year are the cavs this year. The won the most games in the regular season and are showing signs of struggling in the playoffs.

ManRam
05-11-2010, 01:57 PM
Except for the simple fact that this is the team that took the Cavs out last year and knows what it takes to get to the Finals. They know how to win and are doing it at a high clip.

The only team so far that is like the Cavs last year are the cavs this year. The won the most games in the regular season and are showing signs of struggling in the playoffs.

OMG. Is this the apocalypse? I...agree....with....a Laker fan...

;)

DerekRE_3
05-11-2010, 01:58 PM

Cavs started 8-0 last year, Magic started 8-0 this year. They are both in the Eastern Conference. They both have PG's on their roster...yep same team. Gonna be the same result.

Avenged
05-11-2010, 01:59 PM
They're undefeated in the playoffs and blowing out teams.

That should show you how dominant they are..

ManRam
05-11-2010, 02:00 PM
Cavs started 8-0 last year, Magic started 8-0 this year. They are both in the Eastern Conference. They both have PG's on their roster...yep same team. Gonna be the same result.

Aha. Now I see.

It all makes sense.

We're doooooomed. ;)

DerekRE_3
05-11-2010, 02:02 PM
Aha. Now I see.

It all makes sense.

We're doooooomed. ;)

Yep you just gotta look deeper into things like me. :D

thescore53
05-11-2010, 02:09 PM

except they wont choke, happy

Chronz
05-11-2010, 02:17 PM
http://www.basketball-reference.com/blog/?p=5902

PT differential of all the sweeps (3+games) in the history of the nba, they rank 3rd

leftymo
05-11-2010, 02:25 PM
FACT #1. Hollinger picked the Cavs to win the title last year.

FACT #2. Hollinger picked the Cavs to win the title this year.

FACT #3. Hollinger has written articles about how the Jazz are better than the Lakers.

Anything he writes regardless of how much facts or numbers he puts into it is garbage...

As intelligent posters, do your own homework and post a story, I'd give it more credit than Hollinger.

lakersrock
05-11-2010, 02:41 PM
It's lasted 30 games. That's not forever?? That's a ****ing LONG time. It's actually been longer than that. Try the last two seasons.

And if you think all we can do is shoot threes, I hope Phil thinks so too...because you'll be in for a rude awakening.

I don't recall them shooting lights out in the Finals last year.

Nope, I don't and neither does he. My point was, you never miss WIDE OPEN 3s. Don't double off of shooters. It's common sense.

We don't need to. Kobe can cover Jameer, Artest can get Vince and Gasol and Bynum can rotate on Howard.

BTW, Howard isn't a very good offensive player at all. He's just smart enough to know if it's an easy shot, take the layup or dunk and if it's not and someone's open, throw it to them. Well, if you take away the open shot, he'll just have to go it alone. It worked in the Finals last year, it'll work again.

ManRam
05-11-2010, 02:41 PM

FACT #3. Hollinger has written articles about how the Jazz are better than the Lakers.

Anything he writes regardless of how much facts or numbers he puts into it is garbage...

As intelligent posters, do your own homework and post a story, I'd give it more credit than Hollinger.

He's not saying they are going to win. He's simply pointing out and articulating how amazing the Magic have been lately.

What's wrong with that? I don't think you can deny that they have been the best team of late, but he's not spinning that into "The Magic will win the Finals"...he's simply pointing out how insanely better the Magic have been than every other team the last 20-30 games...and that's a fact.

It's clear you have some major Hollinger hate.

streetballa
05-11-2010, 02:45 PM
Through two round...

Orlando point differential these playoffs: 17.25 pts

Cavaliers point differential last playoffs: 15.25 pts

Cavs finished last season losing 3 games in their last 10

Magic finished this season losing 3 games in their last 30

Other then bother teams sweeping their way through the first two rounds....The comparisons fall flat. Magic are the hottest team in the playoffs right now, making them the team to beat.

DerekRE_3
05-11-2010, 02:56 PM
You don't need John Hollinger to tell you how dominant the Magic have been. 27-3 is absolutely insane. Then look at their margin of victory so far...it's a done deal. The Magic are playing the best basketball right now. Obviously that can change, but right now there is no hotter team. If Jameer Nelson keeps it up, they have a great chance at winning it all. Oh and did I mention they have the NBA's best defense?

Iodine
05-11-2010, 02:57 PM
Evan this is PSD, facts don't matter

ManRam
05-11-2010, 03:03 PM

Nope, I don't and neither does he. My point was, you never miss WIDE OPEN 3s. Don't double off of shooters. It's common sense.

We don't need to. Kobe can cover Jameer, Artest can get Vince and Gasol and Bynum can rotate on Howard.

BTW, Howard isn't a very good offensive player at all. He's just smart enough to know if it's an easy shot, take the layup or dunk and if it's not and someone's open, throw it to them. Well, if you take away the open shot, he'll just have to go it alone. It worked in the Finals last year, it'll work again.

I'm not going to respond to this besides say that you better hope you're right. We haven't been dreadful from three in a long, long time. And even if we are, we've shown plenty of times this year that we are so much more than a "live by the three, die by the three" team...like we were last year.

We are a completely different team than we were last year.

That's all.

ManRam
05-11-2010, 03:04 PM
Evan this is PSD, facts don't matter

I keep forgetting. Someday I'll remember. :confused:

magicdouglas
05-11-2010, 03:06 PM

The article is not about last year!!!!:facepalm:
Sweet!!!! So Lewis and Barns will be left wide open.:D

JNA17
05-11-2010, 03:08 PM

does 2009 finals ring a bell? As much as we all want things we love to last forever, they don't. You as a magic fan especially should know that.

magicdouglas
05-11-2010, 03:14 PM
does 2009 finals ring a bell? As much as we all want things we love to last forever, they don't. You as a magic fan especially should know that.

Know it all to well! 2009 finals was are motivation to play like the dominating team we are. As a Laker's fan you should also enjoy your last few weeks as champs, cause as you know "As much as we all want things we love to last forever, they don't."

Off topic side question- How many lakes are there in LA?

ManRam
05-11-2010, 03:14 PM

Yes. It does.

We had a Jameer Nelson who was at about 40-50%. We didn't have Barnes, Anderson or Carter...or Bass. We had a rookie instead blowing layups.

We are playing better than we have in the last two years...by far. It's not even close. We are peaking at the right time, something every team dreams of.

Call it a fluke. Just hope your team isn't doing the same.

sep11ie
05-11-2010, 03:19 PM

Umm that kinda sounds like a smart offensive player to me...

DerekRE_3
05-11-2010, 03:21 PM
Yes. It does.

We had a Jameer Nelson who was at about 40-50%. We didn't have Barnes, Anderson or Carter...or Bass. We had a rookie instead blowing layups.

We are playing better than we have in the last two years...by far. It's not even close. We are peaking at the right time, something every team dreams of.

Also, there's nothing like experiencing the Finals and learning from it. Hopefully Dwight has learned from how the Lakers defended him last year.

Iodine
05-11-2010, 03:26 PM
But really, this thread is clearly not about the magic doing good, its about the 2009 finals

SteveNash
05-11-2010, 03:27 PM
The Magic have been dominant against crap teams. Let's see the quality of opponents they faced.

Lakers at home, won by 2 points.

Other playoff teams they beaten. Heat twice, Bulls, Bobcats 5 times, Spurs split their two games, Cleveland without LeBron, Hawks 4 times lost once, Denver during their late season collapse, Dallas.

Magic being dominant is like saying Northern Iowa was dominant in the Missouri Valley conference.

JNA17
05-11-2010, 03:29 PM
Yes. It does.

better, yes. Will it continue? From here on in, most likely not, especially if they play the cavs next round. Even though i do pick the magic to win that if that's the case, don't expect the same type of shooting %s the magic are getting or you will be very disappointed

magicdouglas
05-11-2010, 03:31 PM
Steve are you welshing on your bet? You are never to talk bad about the Magic again!!!

But I guess sweeping the 7 & 3 seed is not as good as Cleveland dropping 1 to the 8 seed and 2 to the 4 seed.

sep11ie
05-11-2010, 03:32 PM
How are ya'll arguing that the Lakers will dominate the Magic in the finals? Neither has won their damn conference yet.

Iodine
05-11-2010, 03:32 PM
The Magic have been dominant against crap teams. Let's see the quality of opponents they faced.

Other playoff teams they beaten. Heat twice, Bulls, Bobcats 5 times, Spurs split their two games, Cleveland without LeBron, Hawks 4 times lost once, Denver during their late season collapse, Dallas.

Magic being dominant is like saying Northern Iowa was dominant in the Missouri Valley conference.

I had no idea that playing 18 playoff teams during a stretch during a 27-3 stretch in the NBA was a mid major?

Also didnt you lose some bet about having to suck Raph off?

JNA17
05-11-2010, 03:33 PM
Steve are you welshing on your bet? You are never to talk bad about the Magic again!!!

But I guess sweeping the 7 & 3 seed is not as good as Cleveland dropping 1 to the 8 seed and 2 to the 4 seed.

possibly 4 to the 4 seed as well ;)

streetballa
05-11-2010, 03:34 PM

Didn't the Suns go to 6 games against a team missing their best player with a torn meniscus? Then sweep a Spurs team that is in decline.....

Can you stop being such a hater, really...

SteveNash
05-11-2010, 03:38 PM
Didn't the Suns go to 6 games against a team missing their best player with a torn meniscus? Then sweep a Spurs team that is in decline.....

Can you stop being such a hater, really...

I don't think the Suns are a title contender and think they will get their *** kicked by the Lakers.

See I'm unbiased.

ManRam
05-11-2010, 03:38 PM

Sorry. I couldn't read this post. All I noticed was your sig. Coward.

smith&wesson
05-11-2010, 03:39 PM
the magic havent been tested yet in the playoffs.

they are good but they have had it easy with milwakee and atlanta...

maybe a different story when they meet the cavs or celtics in the ecf's,
I wouldnt mind seeing orlando in the finals again this year though..

SteveNash
05-11-2010, 03:39 PM
Sorry. I couldn't read this post. All I noticed was your sig. Coward.

Well read it again. I'm a man of my word.

ManRam
05-11-2010, 03:42 PM
Well read it again. I'm a man of my word.

The whole speaking-ill towards the Magic thing?

That doesn't start until the ECF starts either??? ;)

I believe you. Just having some fun.

RadiantShot
05-11-2010, 03:50 PM
Let the haters hate, and wait.

"We'll see come June."

;)

RadiantShot
05-11-2010, 03:53 PM
I hate all the "The Magic haven't been tested yet" ********.

magicdouglas
05-11-2010, 04:02 PM
the magic havent been tested yet in the playoffs.
they are good but they have had it easy with milwakee and atlanta...

maybe a different story when they meet the cavs or celtics in the ecf's,
I wouldnt mind seeing orlando in the finals again this year though..

Sorry Orlando makes it look so easy that you think we haven't been tested but Charlotte had the #2 defense in the NBA and the Hawks swept the Celtics and split with the Laker's. Had either one of our series gone to six you would not be saying this. Hey we can only dominate the teams on our schedule.

Chronz
05-11-2010, 04:03 PM

What are your facts suppose to illustrate? Your claim is unfounded and your advise moronic.

Raph12
05-11-2010, 04:03 PM
They're undefeated in the playoffs, the only team in the season to beat each team once and not lose a series to anyteam in the league. They've won 14 straight, 28 of their last 31 and 41 of their last 49... They've been completely dominating since the midpoint of the season.

pacofunk64
05-11-2010, 04:11 PM
They have looked great. No one will compete with them in the East but the Lakers sure are looking good in the West, so are the Suns...it should make for a good Championship.

magicdouglas
05-11-2010, 04:12 PM
Remember last month I told the story while saying bed time prayers with my son he prayed "that the magic don't loose any more games" I told him God does not pick a favorite NBA team. I must be wrong on this one clearly God is a Orlando Magic fan!!!

BTW we had just finished watching the San Antonio game. lol

Chronz
05-11-2010, 04:13 PM
Thats the dumbest bet youve ever lost Trophico, you said that before the seeds were even locked in.

streetballa
05-11-2010, 04:13 PM
And they have not lost back to back games since January 18th....

Can anyone find a way to tell me they aren't dominant, and please do not say inferior competition because in the NBA anyone can win 1 game

SeoulBeatz
05-11-2010, 04:19 PM
it was hard to watch this series.... i really thought the hawks would do much better than that... not win the series but at least compete!

Raph12
05-11-2010, 04:31 PM

The Magic split with the Lakers, Suns, Spurs, Jazz, Nuggets, Mavs, Blazers, Cavs (Game 1 was 2nd game of a b2b, Game 2 was 4th game in 5 nights, Game 3 everyone was well rested/healthy [Magic win] and Game 4 Lebron, Mo and Shaq didn't play [Magic win]) and Heat. They beat the Celtics 3-1, Hawks 3-1, Bucks 3-0, Bobcats 3-1 and Bulls 3-1... They're overall record against playoff teams is 27-16 (better than both the Cavs and the Celts).

Their record for the first half of the season (41 games in) was 26-15, their record in the second half has been 41-8 (including playoffs), they've won 28 of their last 31 games (losses to the Hawks [buzzerbeating dunk], Spurs [2nd of b2b] and Bobcats [2nd of b2b]) and they've won 14 games straight.

Thats the dumbest bet youve ever lost Trophico, you said that before the seeds were even locked in.

And now he'll be forced to keep his sig the way I wrote it until Brook Lopez, as the #1 option on his team, eliminates Dwight's team in a playoffs series.

Wcuracer29
05-11-2010, 04:37 PM
I love how SteveNash is trying to get last minute jabs in on everything- not posting anything in his sig "until the ECFs begin"- i thought the bet was for the Magic to simply make it to the ECFs? They've done that, wimpy isn't living up to his end- man up son!

Raph12
05-11-2010, 04:42 PM
I love how SteveNash is trying to get last minute jabs in on everything- not posting anything in his sig "until the ECFs begin"- i thought the bet was for the Magic to simply make it to the ECFs? They've done that, wimpy isn't living up to his end- man up son!

Apparently he thinks that our whole team is on steroids and the league will pull them out of the ECFs letting the Hawks advance... No biggie, he agreed to change his sig and stop posting about us right after tip-off in Game 1.

I wonder what the excuse will be if we beat the Cavs/Celts or if we win it all.

Wcuracer29
05-11-2010, 04:42 PM
Raph12, isn't in about time you changed your sig too? it still says "One Win Away"- mission accomplished

Raph12
05-11-2010, 04:44 PM
Raph12, isn't in about time you changed your sig too? it still says "One Win Away"- mission accomplished

My bad, fixed.

SteveNash
05-11-2010, 04:45 PM

Nah, you have to take a chance on any bet. The odds were in my favor, just didn't work out. It's not like I really lost anything and as long as the Magic don't win a championship I'll still be happy.

The Magic split with the Lakers, Suns, Spurs, Jazz, Nuggets, Mavs, Blazers, Cavs (Game 1 was 2nd game of a b2b, Game 2 was 4th game in 5 nights, Game 3 everyone was well rested/healthy [Magic win] and Game 4 Lebron, Mo and Shaq didn't play [Magic win]) and Heat. They beat the Celtics 3-1, Hawks 3-1, Bucks 3-0, Bobcats 3-1 and Bulls 3-1... They're overall record against playoff teams is 27-16 (better than both the Cavs and the Celts).

Their record for the first half of the season (41 games in) was 26-15, their record in the second half has been 41-8 (including playoffs), they've won 28 of their last 31 games (losses to the Hawks [buzzerbeating dunk], Spurs [2nd of b2b] and Bobcats [2nd of b2b]) and they've won 14 games straight.

All that dominance and they only managed to win 59 games...

Wcuracer29
05-11-2010, 04:45 PM
Apparently he thinks that our whole team is on steroids and the league will pull them out of the ECFs letting the Hawks advance... No biggie, he agreed to change his sig and stop posting about us right after tip-off in Game 1.

Lebron's elbow, Shaq's old, Varejao wasn't getting his flop calls, Mo was hurt, just didn't tell anyone- Jamison didn't show up.

Garnett was demanding the ball too much, Pierce and Allen are too old and worthless, Rondo was getting fouled left and right and the refs weren't calling it.

SteveNash
05-11-2010, 04:47 PM

If the Magic when it all, I'll give them their due and say they were the best team.

But they wont.

Wcuracer29
05-11-2010, 05:00 PM
Nah, you have to take a chance on any bet. The odds were in my favor, just didn't work out. It's not like I really lost anything and as long as the Magic don't win a championship I'll still be happy.

ya i know- only one team won more games which means 28 teams won less games- i'd say 59 wins is pretty dominant- and to win 8 straight in the playoffs, ya i'll take that "mediocre dominance" the Magic are displaying. Cleveland finished with mroe regular season wins, but haven't been as "dominant" in the playoffs- Magic are the most dominating this year.

Raph12
05-11-2010, 05:05 PM

Every bet has risks, I had enough faith in my team to beat any team in the first two rounds and you were banking on the Heat and Celts playing them first... When betting, I always ask myself, risk vs reward.

Well with Shard's, suspension, all of the injuries early and the chemistry issues, we didn't just expect them to click out of nowhere. They're playing their best basketaball since about March and look unstoppable since.

Lebron's elbow, Shaq's old, Varejao wasn't getting his flop calls, Mo was hurt, just didn't tell anyone- Jamison didn't show up.

Garnett was demanding the ball too much, Pierce and Allen are too old and worthless, Rondo was getting fouled left and right and the refs weren't calling it.

Told ya lol, there will always be an excuse if you're looking for one.

If the Magic when it all, I'll give them their due and say they were the best team.

But they wont.

At that point, I'll respect you, but like you said, we'll just have to wait and see.

Kakaroach
05-11-2010, 05:07 PM
Just as dominant as the Cavs in the first 2 series last year, in fact more dominant.

Better hope for a different result though.

Wcuracer29
05-11-2010, 05:45 PM
Just as dominant as the Cavs in the first 2 series last year, in fact more dominant.

Better hope for a different result though.

no kidding- i'm sure van gundy has them fully aware of this

Miltown34
05-11-2010, 05:59 PM
theres something funny about fans raving about there teams success and then posting it lol...well i agree they are really good

streetballa
05-11-2010, 06:02 PM
You know what is ironic though....the last two teams to sweep through the first two rounds of the playoffs lost in the ECFs (2005 Miami and 2009 Cavs).

There is a first time for everything though

RaiderLakersA's
05-11-2010, 06:11 PM
Means nothing if they don't win the title. Yes, I predicted them to come out of the East, but that's about as far as the crystal ball goes.

And don't get me started on how many times I've seen "...the best team in basketball..." come up short in the playoffs.

D Roses Bulls
05-11-2010, 06:15 PM
most of you were on the hawks nuts during the regular season now wanna jump off cause many who have watched the magic all season and said how good they were beat them in four games and now i see a lot of people saying in different threads the magic played easy teams. some of you like to go by records, well you saw it in bold print of who the hawks had a better record then. As for SteveNash, your deal with ralph will be honored during the ECF, but until then don't say nothing about the magic. when someone usually loses a bet that bad they shut up, but you keep on coming back for more. no more words about the magic mr.nash

ManRam
05-11-2010, 06:24 PM
You know what is ironic though....the last two teams to sweep through the first two rounds of the playoffs lost in the ECFs (2005 Miami and 2009 Cavs).

There is a first time for everything though

It won't be a first. 2 out of the 5 teams to win their first 8 have won it all. I'll take 40% odds right now ;)

hugepatsfan
05-11-2010, 07:04 PM
The only concern for the Magic should be how they respond to getting punched in the mouth. They have only had one close game in my memory - game 2 or 3 against ATL.

The Magic were great against CHA, but let's be real - they are not a measuring stick. They were the worst team in the plaoffs, IMO. (And before any ORL fan says CHI was worse because they were a lower seed - remember that by that logic, ORL is worse than CLE.) Credit to them for taking care of business though and not screwing around.

ATL layed down like dogs. When ORL played well, ATL was not willing to fight back. BOS/CLE and PHO/LAL will not do the same. Not saying they will beat ORL, but they won't lay down whenever ORL plays well.

Look at the past few champions - I don't think there have been any that breezed through the playoffs. ORL will have to do so at some point, and we have not seen it yet. Dwight, VC, and SVG are three guys that I don't trust yet in crucial situations to come through consistantly. The rest of these playoofs will show if that is fair or not, because they WILL be tested.

Wcuracer29
05-11-2010, 08:13 PM
The only concern for the Magic should be how they respond to getting punched in the mouth. They have only had one close game in my memory - game 2 or 3 against ATL.

The Magic were great against CHA, but let's be real - they are not a measuring stick. They were the worst team in the plaoffs, IMO. (And before any ORL fan says CHI was worse because they were a lower seed - remember that by that logic, ORL is worse than CLE.) Credit to them for taking care of business though and not screwing around.

ATL layed down like dogs. When ORL played well, ATL was not willing to fight back. BOS/CLE and PHO/LAL will not do the same. Not saying they will beat ORL, but they won't lay down whenever ORL plays well.

Look at the past few champions - I don't think there have been any that breezed through the playoffs. ORL will have to do so at some point, and we have not seen it yet. Dwight, VC, and SVG are three guys that I don't trust yet in crucial situations to come through consistantly. The rest of these playoofs will show if that is fair or not, because they WILL be tested.

i have yet to see anywhere where people have said Orlando will not be tested- it's the playoffs, everyone wants to win (except for Atl, they did lay down) and nobody with any sense at all will think that the Lakers, Cavs, Celts or Suns will lay down to anyone- they are ALL hungry for a championship in 2010- as they dang well should be.

The only thing i've been saying is that Orlando is playing the best as a TEAM out of anyone- no one player has been the center of attention, and when you have a multi-facitted attack like the Magic do, and have so many options that can beat you- it makes it really tough on their opponents.

magicdouglas
05-11-2010, 09:18 PM
i have yet to see anywhere where people have said Orlando will not be tested- it's the playoffs, everyone wants to win (except for Atl, they did lay down) and nobody with any sense at all will think that the Lakers, Cavs, Celts or Suns will lay down to anyone- they are ALL hungry for a championship in 2010- as they dang well should be.

The only thing i've been saying is that Orlando is playing the best as a TEAM out of anyone- no one player has been the center of attention, and when you have a multi-facitted attack like the Magic do, and have so many options that can beat you- it makes it really tough on their opponents.

I said the same thing 2 weeks ago and all I got was :cricket:, now it seems like we got their attention :worthy:

lakersrock
05-18-2010, 11:58 PM

Again.....don't double ANYONE. It'll get you killed.

Boston isn't doubling and they're up 2-0. They're defensive gameplan is EXACTLY what I said to do.

Make Howard beat you against a tough post defender and do not come off the shooters. It's working perfectly.

jojoe1188
05-19-2010, 12:29 AM
so dominant

ldc62
05-19-2010, 02:12 AM
Dwight impressed me today, kind of... But Boston isn't doubling and you can't expect Dwight to play like this in game 3. I think this series is near over... It would take a miracle.

SAM I AM
05-19-2010, 02:18 AM
the Magic are going to Shock the boston people! thats right just like the Flyers! the Magic are going to win the next 4 games! Hands Down i Guarantee it! write it down boys

THE MTL
05-19-2010, 04:07 AM
Orlando has been playing bad and still creaming opponents, but look at them now, with a real quality opponent. Celtics playing like a championship team. They won two on the road, the series is def OVER and there is a high chance that it could be a sweep.

clehmun
05-19-2010, 10:49 AM
Again.....don't double ANYONE. It'll get you killed.

Boston isn't doubling and they're up 2-0. They're defensive gameplan is EXACTLY what I said to do.

Make Howard beat you against a tough post defender and do not come off the shooters. It's working perfectly.

Ouch. Good call.

Super.
05-19-2010, 10:55 AM
So Dominant lately :rolleyes:

xbrackattackx
05-19-2010, 11:17 AM
2-0

RaiderLakersA's
05-19-2010, 11:25 AM
And don't get me started on how many times I've seen "...the best team in basketball..." come up short in the playoffs.

I still think they have a chance, oddly enough. Boston isn't invincible at home. But the Magic better course correct and fast. Down 0-2 and heading into Boston is like driving with no brakes towards the cliff with the steep drop.

rapjuicer06
05-19-2010, 11:27 AM
the reason they were so good against cha and atl was because they were hitting their threes. rashard hasn't done a damn thing in these playoffs. and thats not because of KG but its cuz rashard just is flat out missing his shots

Gibby23
05-19-2010, 11:32 AM
the reason they were so good against cha and atl was because they were hitting their threes. rashard hasn't done a damn thing in these playoffs. and thats not because of KG but its cuz rashard just is flat out missing his shots

Peolle like to say this all the time when a 3 point shooting team starts to miss the 3 point shot. There is a reason for both the Magic and Suns for missing 3's and that is both the Celtics and Lakers were top 5 in 3 point defense. Plain and simple, they are missing for a reason.

AntiG
05-19-2010, 11:41 AM
Peolle like to say this all the time when a 3 point shooting team starts to miss the 3 point shot. There is a reason for both the Magic and Suns for missing 3's and that is both the Celtics and Lakers were top 5 in 3 point defense. Plain and simple, they are missing for a reason.

Exactly. The Celtics don't give opponents good looks at the 3-pt line often. Their perimeter defense and help defense is as good as you'll ever find.

ballpd05
05-19-2010, 11:50 AM

Exactly, I'd bet he would be making them if he was playing ATL again lol.

clehmun
05-19-2010, 12:24 PM
who's a better player? jamison or lewis?