PDA

View Full Version : In Depth: Is David Stern rigging the NBA playoffs?

Shawn Pinehurst
05-11-2010, 01:58 AM
Is David Stern, head of the NBA, rigging NBA playoff games?

http://blogs.orlandosentinel.com/sports-sentinel-sports-now/files/2010/05/davidstern-ST.jpg

“The accomplice to the crime of corruption is frequently our own indifference”
-Bess Myerson

[I want to preface this post by stating that this is not a rant, not by a long shot. This post is the result of my great love for the game of basketball, the desire for us to have a true game, without bias, and a considerable amount of time spent researching NBA statistics and quotes from David Stern and NBA referrees. Everything has beeen thoroughly researched. Please, look into any of this article's quotes. They may be shocking, but all of them are completely factual.]

Tim Donaghy, a 13 year referree in the NBA, recently made accusations against Stern stating that his office was directly rigging games, and cheating, influencing the outcome of games via commandments from the front office, forcing referres to call games in a biased manner.

Specticism is healthy when we are confronted with any consipracy theory. Tim Donaghy of course has been indicted for betting on the NBA games in which he was refereeing, and is now, to my knowledge, spending time in prison. Why trust that this criminal was speaking the truth?

Let the horse's mouth speak. Let's take a close look at David Stern's first response to the Tim Donaghy catastrophe. Initially, he never stated that Donaghy was lying, instead this is what David Stern said:

"I feel betrayed by what happened on behalf of the sport, regardless of how protective I've been," he said. "This is not something that is anything other than an act of betrayal of what we know in sports as a sacred trust."

"Betrayal?"... "sacred trust?".... What is Stern trying to "protect"? We can assume that Donaghy and Stern were close. Is it possible that this was a veiled, off the cuff admission of corruption from David Stern?

Let's look at Stern's incredibly inappropriate comments about Lebron James being his favorite player. This is not only totally unprofessional, but suspicious as well. In fact, in David Stern's exact words "He may be the greatest player ever". Lebron James, a player who has never won an NBA championship, who has repeatedly come up short in the playoffs, is "the greatest player ever", according to the NBA's head exec?

I want to let readers know that this is not an article about Lebron James. Lebron is an incredibly talented young man, a classy guy, and so much fun to watch. He is great for the game of basketball. This article is not about Lebron James, it's about David Stern trying to play Lebron James like a puppet. I hope that in the end, justice will reign, and the great Lebron James and his Cleveland Cavaliers will rise above David Stern's meddlings.

David Stern even went so far as to give a public statement that was a veiled warning to Lebron James, asking James to stay in Cleveland. Why? It is David Stern's master plan to bring a championship to Cleveland, over the LA Lakers, so he can further promote LeBron's product.

Here is Stern's statement, about wanting James to stay in Cleveland :
"How long has he (Lebron James) been here (in Cleveland)?" In a stern voice, Mr. Stern continued, "Here's where you sign yet another contract ... hopefully he'll stay."

"Where James' loss would really be felt is in the Cleveland area. The nation's 17th-largest television market, with 1,533,710 television households, Cleveland does not rank among the NBA's 15 biggest markets, but this season the Cavs had the highest local regular-season TV ratings of any NBA team in more than a decade, according to Sports Business Daily. Cavs games saw a 116 percent increase from last year while leaguewide viewership across all regional sports networks increased by just eight percent this season. An average of 134,000 Cleveland-area homes tuned in for each Cavs game, according to SBJ, second only to the Lakers' 250,000 average on Fox Sports West."

Here is David Stern's motive : Los Angeles is the biggest market in basketball. Cleveland is far and away the fastest growing market. And of course, Lebron James is the biggest single product in the whole business.

You might say, well if James is David Stern's favorite, why did he fine him $25,000? David Stern fined Lebron James for not shaking the hands of the Orlando Magic players after game 6 of last year's playoffs, when the Cavs lost the series. The motive is clear.

David Stern's favorite player had lost the game, causing the failure of Stern's plan to bring Cleveland a championship. Stern was punishing his product for not performing. By being unprofessional, David Stern was worried that Lebron had damaged his pet player's brand value. With the season over for the Cavs, it was time for Stern to give Lebron a proper spanking. In fact, according to public statements from David Stern, James and Stern spoke privately after the fact.

According to David Stern :
"I'm in the process of making a phone call or two now to talk to LeBron" Stern said. "LeBron and I discussed it, and I'll leave the rest for him to talk about, but I think it was important."

So how much money does the NBA stand to lose if the Cavs make an early exit from this years 2010 playoffs versus the Celtics or the Bulls? The loss in revenues from Lebron's image or in the Cleveland market, could be huge, especially with Lebron James' contract with the Cavs about to end.

For those that still believe David Stern has no favorites, witness this statement. When asked several years ago who he would like to see in the championship, Stern said : "I want to see a Lakers versus Lakers championship". An unprofessional and profoundly biased statement from the man who is the leader of the NBA.

How about marketing? The NBA's front office for the last several years, have gotten together with Nike, to prepare for a Cavs and Lakers final, so that the biggest money market and the fastest growing can stoke the profits.

"The league has been an ardent promoter for Dream Season: 23 & 24, a Nike-sponsored film starring James (No. 23) and Bryant (No. 24). The film (with behind-the-scenes footage and fawning narration from Justin Timberlake) sets these "supernovas" on a course for a historic collision.

According to Dwight Howard of the Orlando Magic :
"I told y'all the other day that we find it really disrespectful that everybody seems to be pulling for LeBron and Kobe to get to the Finals," Howard wrote on his blog following Game 3 of the Eastern Conference Finals. "Every time I look at TV, it seems like that's all anybody is talking about."

Let's look at the hard facts of recent events. Do Donaghy's accusations of referree cheating under Stern have any basis? Have the NBA's referrees tried to rig games in the Cavs favor in the 2010 playoffs? There have been accusations of tampering and referee bias in the first round Chicago Bulls series. But let's look at the most recent playoff series versus the Celtics.

Game 1 Sat May 1st Cavs 101, bos 93
Boston -25 Fouls called against / Cleveland-17 fouls called against.
Witness the many fouls called during the Cleveland comeback in the late 3rd and 4th.

Game 2 - Boston 104, Cleveland 86.
The fouls differential? An incredible 31 to 16 in favor of Cleveland. Totally uncharacteristic for the Celtics. One might make the hypothesis that with the outcome of the game going the wrong way, the refs stepped in. When did the fouls really start getting called? Again, during the Cavs comeback.

Game 3 Cleveland 124 Boston 95
Cleveland has gone down 2-1 in this series. Straight from the outset, refs are making constant foul calls against the Celtics. Research for yourself how many fouls were called from the first minute of this game. Only after the game was completely out of hand, did the refs start making calls against the cavs. Foul calls were close to even in the end total, but only after an incredibly lopsided intial two quarters in foul calls in favor of the cavs. The final total was a two foul differential in favor of the Celtics.

Game 4 Celtics 97, Cleveland 87
Fouls in favor of cleveland 31 to 27.

Further evidence? Let's look at how David Stern reacts to people being critical of his referees.

David Stern has his stongest words against those who question his referrees. According to David Stern : "Be Quiet"

Stern has stated:
“Our coaches should be quiet, because this is a good business that makes them good livings and support a lot of families. And if they don’t like it, they should go get a job somewhere else. I don’t mean to be too subtle.”...

“It’s corrosive. And because of the pressure cooker that is the NBA playoffs, over the years I’ve let it go. But when you hear a Chicago coach say, ‘Oh, this game was lost because NBC wants an extra game.’ And you hear a New York coach say, ‘Well, what are you gonna do, Jordan gets all the calls."

Stern in fact has a major track history of fining coaches and players, just for simply criticising the refs, or even hinting at bias or cheating. Witness the huge fines that have come down in recent years in the NBA for criticism of officiating. This was unheard of until recent NBA history.

More from Stern, sounding more like a mob boss than a head executive:

“I would stop it (criticism of refs) – and the price wouldn’t be a modest $35,000 fine. It would be whatever a day’s pay is and then two day’s pay and then a week’s pay. And if someone wants to try me in the rest of these playoffs, make my day...And we’ll do what we have to do.”

How about David Stern's past track record? There are major accusations about David Stern rigging the 1985 NBA draft in favor of his home team, the new york nicks. A youtube search brings up results perporting to show video evidence of envelope tampering. There also have been accusations made that Stern rigged the draft to send Lebron to Cleveland. I will not go into depth on these issues, as they have not been proven, but they are worth mentioning.

Last but not least, after Donaghy accused Stern of forcing referees to cheat and make fake calls, and after Stern's public outrage against gambling in the NBA, we would expect David Stern's actions to reflect that purity, right?

Actually, Stern is all for gambling!

If you do the research, Stern has actually gone on record stating that he has plans to make illegal betting in the NBA legal!

In the following article David Stern has referred to nationally legalized gambling on the NBA as a "possibility" that "may be a huge opportunity."
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/ian_thomsen/12/11/weekly.countdown/index.html

And from the very same sports illustrated article, one last quote from Stern :

“It may be a little immoral, because it really is a tax on the poor, the lotteries. But having said that, it’s now a matter of national policy: Gambling is good."

Raph12
05-11-2010, 02:00 AM
Sometimes, ignorance is bliss.

montazingmvp
05-11-2010, 02:14 AM
dude great research..i've got to hand it to you.

i've always disliked stern, i've always felt he was more of a business man than a basketball lover. more about making money than about the game.

can't wait 'til he gets ousted...hopefully sooner than later.

just don't trust the guy

NPH
05-11-2010, 02:23 AM
Can we please just kill that midget?

His face bugs the **** out of me.

Jahari Kavi
05-11-2010, 02:24 AM
this has nothing to do with rigging anything.....there's nothing wrong with wanting Lebron to stay in cleveland from a business standpoint.......

montazingmvp
05-11-2010, 02:47 AM
this has nothing to do with rigging anything.....there's nothing wrong with wanting Lebron to stay in cleveland from a business standpoint.......

that was one small point, relating to a grander issue. that stern will do anything as long as he's making money.

that was only one small part of this guys's argument

tredigs
05-11-2010, 02:48 AM
For SO MANY reasons, this is complete horse ****. I read to the point where it says, "and why did David Stern fine Lebron James $25,000 after not shaking the Magic players hands after their ECF defeat? The real reason is because his minion did not bring home the title, and was being punished".

^Really, dude? Even in the most outlandishly stupid conspiracy theory scenario where he is "working as David Stern's minion" [ <-- I cracked up at this], why would he publicly fine the guy 25k for this and draw any undue attention to their master plan?

The point about Cleveland being the second biggest market now due to increased TV sales, etc. is also failing to realize one thing. THEY ARE A MAJOR NBA MARKET BECAUSE OF LEBRON, NOT BECAUSE CLEVELAND IS THE NEW BOOMING ECONOMY IN AMERICA. If he leaves, over time, so goes their influx in fan base/nationally broadcast games/tv ratings, etc. And it would be transferred in full to whatever team he chooses to go to. On top of that, there will always be a large constituency of LBJ fans in Cleveland that would continue to follow his game/buy his gear, etc. no matter where he ends up. So in effect, I can only see this growing his fan base and garnering more money for the NBA were he to leave.

Edit: I listened to a 2 hour live broadcast on some Celtics Radio Blog tonight that JordansBulls linked earlier today [he apparently firmly believes this conspiracy. unsurprising] where Tim Donaghy was answering questions. He is a complete imbecile, and although I don't doubt that ref's give preferential treatment to certain players (they're people, and you see this in all sports), and he can probably infer who is going to win games at a high rate due to this and all the other knowledge he's accrued working the floor of games for a decade+, I do not for one second buy that the NBA is some WWE league that is being manipulated from the top. The con's so far heavily outweigh the pro's in this scenario that it just would not make business sense to do this, and Stern (along with anyone else who is capable of non-frontal lobe thinking) can grasp that.

asandhu23
05-11-2010, 02:53 AM
NBA is rigged.

ldc62
05-11-2010, 03:00 AM
Gotta question thats kinda O/T.... What kinda sports betting is considered illegal in the States (which the article was referring to)? Because its legal in Canada.... i think.

Also this article is pretty bad. So everyone initially thought Stern wanted Lebron to go to NY... now that they know he wants Lebron to stay, they use it as evidence to develop some conspiracy? Also there was too much emphasis on Cleveland's bball market... Lebron would make any city into a huge bball market. I'm not debating that Stern might be rigging the playoffs... but the article proved nothing; superstars always got the calls...

But a point the writer left out (very important)(My evidence): We know Stern's love for the NBA to develop in Asia, specifically China (hence all the exhibitions in the last 4 years) plus he said that he wanted to develop some kinda affiliate league LINK (http://sports.espn.go.com/oly/summer08/basketball/news/story?id=3542013). The NBA still isn't as popular as football(soccer). He obviously can't just hand Houston the championship to garner revenue and exposure overseas because of Yao's recent injuries... so what else should he do? Well FYI, Kobe and Lebron are number 1 and 2 in terms of popularity and jerseys sold. So a Kobe and Lebron matchup would definitely generate buzz in China.

PS: Was what I said not better than that article? SI is a joke...

Shawn Pinehurst
05-11-2010, 03:14 AM
I read to the point where it says, "and why did David Stern fine Lebron James $25,000 after not shaking the Magic players hands after their ECF defeat? The real reason is because his minion did not bring home the title, and was being punished".

Tredigs, I want to encourage you to read the entire article. It is not my point that Lebron James is in any way "a minion", rather that James is an innocent victim of David Stern's actions.

D Roses Bulls
05-11-2010, 03:18 AM
Is David Stern, head of the NBA, rigging NBA playoff games?

http://blogs.orlandosentinel.com/sports-sentinel-sports-now/files/2010/05/davidstern-ST.jpg

“The accomplice to the crime of corruption is frequently our own indifference”
-Bess Myerson

[I want to preface this post by stating that this is not a rant, not by a long shot. This post is the result of my great love for the game of basketball, the desire for us to have a true game, without bias, and a considerable amount of time spent researching NBA statistics and quotes from David Stern and NBA referrees. Everything has beeen thoroughly researched. Please, look into any of this article's quotes. They may be shocking, but all of them are completely factual.]

Tim Donaghy, a 13 year referree in the NBA, recently made accusations against Stern stating that his office was directly rigging games, and cheating, influencing the outcome of games via commandments from the front office, forcing referres to call games in a biased manner.

Specticism is healthy when we are confronted with any consipracy theory. Tim Donaghy of course has been indicted for betting on the NBA games in which he was refereeing, and is now, to my knowledge, spending time in prison. Why trust that this criminal was speaking the truth?

Let the horse's mouth speak. Let's take a close look at David Stern's first response to the Tim Donaghy catastrophe. Initially, he never stated that Donaghy was lying, instead this is what David Stern said:

"I feel betrayed by what happened on behalf of the sport, regardless of how protective I've been," he said. "This is not something that is anything other than an act of betrayal of what we know in sports as a sacred trust."

"Betrayal?"... "sacred trust?".... What is Stern trying to "protect"? We can assume that Donaghy and Stern were close. Is it possible that this was a veiled, off the cuff admission of corruption from David Stern?

Let's look at Stern's incredibly inappropriate comments about Lebron James being his favorite player. This is not only totally unprofessional, but suspicious as well. In fact, in David Stern's exact words "He may be the greatest player ever". Lebron James, a player who has never won an NBA championship, who has repeatedly come up short in the playoffs, is "the greatest player ever", according to the NBA's head exec?

I want to let readers know that this is not an article about Lebron James. Lebron is an incredibly talented young man, a classy guy, and so much fun to watch. He is great for the game of basketball. This article is not about Lebron James, it's about David Stern trying to play Lebron James like a puppet. I hope that in the end, justice will reign, and the great Lebron James and his Cleveland Cavaliers will rise above David Stern's meddlings.

David Stern even went so far as to give a public statement that was a veiled warning to Lebron James, asking James to stay in Cleveland. Why? It is David Stern's master plan to bring a championship to Cleveland, over the LA Lakers, so he can further promote LeBron's product.

Here is Stern's statement, about wanting James to stay in Cleveland :
"How long has he (Lebron James) been here (in Cleveland)?" In a stern voice, Mr. Stern continued, "Here's where you sign yet another contract ... hopefully he'll stay."

"Where James' loss would really be felt is in the Cleveland area. The nation's 17th-largest television market, with 1,533,710 television households, Cleveland does not rank among the NBA's 15 biggest markets, but this season the Cavs had the highest local regular-season TV ratings of any NBA team in more than a decade, according to Sports Business Daily. Cavs games saw a 116 percent increase from last year while leaguewide viewership across all regional sports networks increased by just eight percent this season. An average of 134,000 Cleveland-area homes tuned in for each Cavs game, according to SBJ, second only to the Lakers' 250,000 average on Fox Sports West."

Here is David Stern's motive : Los Angeles is the biggest market in basketball. Cleveland is far and away the fastest growing market. And of course, Lebron James is the biggest single product in the whole business.

You might say, well if James is David Stern's favorite, why did he fine him $25,000? David Stern fined Lebron James for not shaking the hands of the Orlando Magic players after game 6 of last year's playoffs, when the Cavs lost the series. The motive is clear.

David Stern's favorite player had lost the game, causing the failure of Stern's plan to bring Cleveland a championship. Stern was punishing his product for not performing. By being unprofessional, David Stern was worried that Lebron had damaged his pet player's brand value. With the season over for the Cavs, it was time for Stern to give Lebron a proper spanking. In fact, according to public statements from David Stern, James and Stern spoke privately after the fact.

According to David Stern :
"I'm in the process of making a phone call or two now to talk to LeBron" Stern said. "LeBron and I discussed it, and I'll leave the rest for him to talk about, but I think it was important."

So how much money does the NBA stand to lose if the Cavs make an early exit from this years 2010 playoffs versus the Celtics or the Bulls? The loss in revenues from Lebron's image or in the Cleveland market, could be huge, especially with Lebron James' contract with the Cavs about to end.

For those that still believe David Stern has no favorites, witness this statement. When asked several years ago who he would like to see in the championship, Stern said : "I want to see a Lakers versus Lakers championship". An unprofessional and profoundly biased statement from the man who is the leader of the NBA.

How about marketing? The NBA's front office for the last several years, have gotten together with Nike, to prepare for a Cavs and Lakers final, so that the biggest money market and the fastest growing can stoke the profits.

"The league has been an ardent promoter for Dream Season: 23 & 24, a Nike-sponsored film starring James (No. 23) and Bryant (No. 24). The film (with behind-the-scenes footage and fawning narration from Justin Timberlake) sets these "supernovas" on a course for a historic collision.

According to Dwight Howard of the Orlando Magic :
"I told y'all the other day that we find it really disrespectful that everybody seems to be pulling for LeBron and Kobe to get to the Finals," Howard wrote on his blog following Game 3 of the Eastern Conference Finals. "Every time I look at TV, it seems like that's all anybody is talking about."

Let's look at the hard facts of recent events. Do Donaghy's accusations of referree cheating under Stern have any basis? Have the NBA's referrees tried to rig games in the Cavs favor in the 2010 playoffs? There have been accusations of tampering and referee bias in the first round Chicago Bulls series. But let's look at the most recent playoff series versus the Celtics.

Game 1 Sat May 1st Cavs 101, bos 93
Boston -25 Fouls called against / Cleveland-17 fouls called against.
Witness the many fouls called during the Cleveland comeback in the late 3rd and 4th.

Game 2 - Boston 104, Cleveland 86.
The fouls differential? An incredible 31 to 16 in favor of Cleveland. Totally uncharacteristic for the Celtics. One might make the hypothesis that with the outcome of the game going the wrong way, the refs stepped in. When did the fouls really start getting called? Again, during the Cavs comeback.

Game 3 Cleveland 124 Boston 95
Cleveland has gone down 2-1 in this series. Straight from the outset, refs are making constant foul calls against the Celtics. Research for yourself how many fouls were called from the first minute of this game. Only after the game was completely out of hand, did the refs start making calls against the cavs. Foul calls were close to even in the end total, but only after an incredibly lopsided intial two quarters in foul calls in favor of the cavs. The final total was a two foul differential in favor of the Celtics.

Game 4 Celtics 97, Cleveland 87
Fouls in favor of cleveland 31 to 27.

Further evidence? Let's look at how David Stern reacts to people being critical of his referees.

David Stern has his stongest words against those who question his referrees. According to David Stern : "Be Quiet"

Stern has stated:
“Our coaches should be quiet, because this is a good business that makes them good livings and support a lot of families. And if they don’t like it, they should go get a job somewhere else. I don’t mean to be too subtle.”...

“It’s corrosive. And because of the pressure cooker that is the NBA playoffs, over the years I’ve let it go. But when you hear a Chicago coach say, ‘Oh, this game was lost because NBC wants an extra game.’ And you hear a New York coach say, ‘Well, what are you gonna do, Jordan gets all the calls."

Stern in fact has a major track history of fining coaches and players, just for simply criticising the refs, or even hinting at bias or cheating. Witness the huge fines that have come down in recent years in the NBA for criticism of officiating. This was unheard of until recent NBA history.

More from Stern, sounding more like a mob boss than a head executive:

“I would stop it (criticism of refs) – and the price wouldn’t be a modest $35,000 fine. It would be whatever a day’s pay is and then two day’s pay and then a week’s pay. And if someone wants to try me in the rest of these playoffs, make my day...And we’ll do what we have to do.”

How about David Stern's past track record? There are major accusations about David Stern rigging the 1985 NBA draft in favor of his home team, the new york nicks. A youtube search brings up results perporting to show video evidence of envelope tampering. There also have been accusations made that Stern rigged the draft to send Lebron to Cleveland. I will not go into depth on these issues, as they have not been proven, but they are worth mentioning.

Last but not least, after Donaghy accused Stern of forcing referees to cheat and make fake calls, and after Stern's public outrage against gambling in the NBA, we would expect David Stern's actions to reflect that purity, right?

Actually, Stern is all for gambling!

If you do the research, Stern has actually gone on record stating that he has plans to make illegal betting in the NBA legal!

In the following article David Stern has referred to nationally legalized gambling on the NBA as a "possibility" that "may be a huge opportunity."
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/ian_thomsen/12/11/weekly.countdown/index.html

And from the very same sports illustrated article, one last quote from Stern :

“It may be a little immoral, because it really is a tax on the poor, the lotteries. But having said that, it’s now a matter of national policy: Gambling is good."

great article. i see some of the kiddies wanna believe some of the NBA isnt fixed like wresting, but like one sports writer put it "I asked my son if he wanted to watch houston play the cavs and my son said no dad, the NBA is as fake as wresting and when lebron was getting every call, no matter if it was a call, i knew my son was right".

tredigs
05-11-2010, 03:23 AM
Gotta question thats kinda O/T.... What kinda sports betting is considered illegal in the States (which the article was referring to)? Because its legal in Canada.... i think.

Also this article is pretty bad. So everyone initially thought Stern wanted Lebron to go to NY... now that they know he wants Lebron to stay, they use it as evidence to develop some conspiracy? Also there was too much emphasis on Cleveland's bball market... Lebron would make any city into a huge bball market. I'm not debating that Stern might be rigging the playoffs... but the article proved nothing; superstars always got the calls...

But a point the writer left out (very important)(My evidence): We know Stern's love for the NBA to develop in Asia, specifically China (hence all the exhibitions in the last 4 years) plus he said that he wanted to develop some kinda affiliate league LINK (http://sports.espn.go.com/oly/summer08/basketball/news/story?id=3542013). The NBA still isn't as popular as football(soccer). He obviously can't just hand Houston the championship to garner revenue and exposure overseas because of Yao's recent injuries... so what else should he do? Well FYI, Kobe and Lebron are number 1 and 2 in terms of popularity and jerseys sold. So a Kobe and Lebron matchup would definitely generate buzz in China.

PS: Was what I said not better than that article? SI is a joke...

Sadly, it was. And one simple rebuttal could be that the reason that Lebron and Kobe are #1 and #2 in jersey sales is because they have been arguably the games two best players over the last half decade, and play on great teams, which makes it pretty likely that they are going to be in the hunt for the NBA finals. Then I could mention that Yao Ming has only made it out of the first round once when healthy (where he lost in the 2nd), so what stopped Stern then? Or I could ask you why possibly the most entertainingly-challenged championship team with the least marketable players in recent memory (ever?) have been so dominant throughout the early 2000's (The Spurs)?

Since this conspiracy all boils down to the fact that people think certain players get preferential treatment by the zebras, I'll defer to a post ManRam (part of the small handful of logical/great posters you'll actually find on the NBA board) in a good post he made earlier:

Star players get FTAs because they tend to put themselves in position to get those calls, not simply because they are stars. It seems like most people on this planet fail to see that correlation. Those guys all frequently get in the paint. Those guys all have the ball in their hands a ton. Those guys are all fairly aggressive. LeBron, Wade, Kobe, Durant etc. get so many calls because they dominate the ball control, they attack relentlessly and they attract contract, rather than avoid it.

The biggest myth in sports: Star players get calls simply because they are stars, and refs favor them. They get calls because they put themselves in position to get those calls far more frequently, and it is completely independent of officiating 98% of the time.

So yes, FTA is a great barometer of how good a player is.

^He's right.

tredigs
05-11-2010, 03:46 AM
Tredigs, I want to encourage you to read the entire article. It is not my point that Lebron James is in any way "a minion", rather that James is an innocent victim of David Stern's actions.

Fair enough, I just did, and found even more glaring holes in it. I'll give other people a chance to respond, and if this thread isn't closed and/or devolved into a troll thread, then I'll get back to it tomorrow.

king james
05-11-2010, 04:05 AM
Well this is nothing new to me and some of my friends. For years we've been saying "the suit case is opened(suit case full of money)". We only start saying it when the refs start calling some of these magical fouls at the end or at crucial times in the game.

I'm a die hard Heat fan and I believe without a doubt that we had the suit case opened during '06 title run.

It's too obvious that there is some type of cheating going on. That's one of the reasons why I think that Stern doesn't like Mark Cuban and he's always is getting fined some large amounts of money. Cuban is one of those owners that will say it loud and proud that he hates the way games are being officiated.

A lot of this stuff started with Jordan. not blaming him, just giving a timeline of when it really started IMO. When Jordan's worldwide popularity took off and the NBA seen how much money was to made off of him; they did everything to keep him as immortal as much as possible. And if that means giving him some calls at the expense of someone else so be it. Look at when he got away with that offensive foul when he pushed Byron Russell to the side so he could hit that game winning shot against the Jazz. In the Finals no less. It's bad enough that a lot of these superstars like MJ, Wade, and LBJ are superior in talent than most of the other players they play against. It just makes it worse when the refs and the league make them immortal.

ldc62
05-11-2010, 04:07 AM
^ I didn't know Lebron James got fat?

king james
05-11-2010, 04:10 AM
hahaha. ur the only one that notice that.lol

D1JM
05-11-2010, 04:10 AM
How do you think the bulls got Derrick rose on a 1% probability? Thank you Stern

junion
05-11-2010, 04:16 AM
.......... then don't watch.

ldc62
05-11-2010, 04:20 AM
Sadly, it was. And one simple rebuttal could be that the reason that Lebron and Kobe are #1 and #2 in jersey sales is because they have been arguably the games two best players over the last half decade, and play on great teams, which makes it pretty likely that they are going to be in the hunt for the NBA finals. Then I could mention that Yao Ming has only made it out of the first round once when healthy (where he lost in the 2nd), so what stopped Stern then? Or I could ask you why possibly the most entertainingly-challenged championship team with the least marketable players in recent memory (ever?) have been so dominant throughout the early 2000's (The Spurs)?

Since this conspiracy all boils down to the fact that people think certain players get preferential treatment by the zebras, I'll defer to a post ManRam (part of the small handful of logical/great posters you'll actually find on the NBA board) in a good post he made earlier:

You bring some valid points.. but now I will dissect everything that you pointed out.

The Jersey thing: What you said doesn't really prove my theory is wrong... Stern has always tried to push for a Cavs vs Lakers finals.

Yao in 2nd Round: Like I have stated previously... injuries. Yao got injured last year. Thus Stern (if he is indeed rigging the NBA) had to push for the Lakers to win since a Yao-less Rockets team wouldn't be as much of a hit as a Lakers team (featuring China's fave player) in China.

Spurs: Again... this is all a conspiracy... but Stern can't be that obvious. If a team is that good then Stern can't blatantly make them lose. Also one could argue that Lebron wasn't drafted until the Spurs had already won 2.

I'm just adding evidence that the NBA is rigged since we are on this topic.

ldc62
05-11-2010, 04:24 AM
How do you think the bulls got Derrick rose on a 1% probability? Thank you Stern

The Chinese better pressure Stern into giving the Rockets J.Wall!!!
or I can hope: .005% of winning.

cambovenzi
05-11-2010, 05:15 AM
The NBA isnt rigged..

Wanting 2 of the most popular players to face off in the finals would be great for business and great for the sport.
It does not mean stern is breaking laws to get them there...
They are two of the best teams in the league.

GspLAL
05-11-2010, 05:18 AM
I don't think the NBA is rigged to the point where every little thing is controlled like WWE but I think there are some things they do to maximize profits (as any business would do). For example, the NBA was getting horrible ratings in the finals, all time lows, with Spurs Cavs and I believe Spurs Detroit. I don't find it a coincidence that both Lakers and Celtics got players that made them championship teams to try to get them to meet in the finals. One might say then why was it Orlando and Lakers instead of Cavs Lakers since a Lebron vs Kobe finals would be more interesting than Dwight vs Kobe. Well, the matchups were too lopsided in that series. The only way I think the NBA is rigged is referees and trades.

Iodine
05-11-2010, 08:36 AM
Wow, this is really sad

That was just really bad, no other way to describe it
If it wasnt for tredigs being godlike this would be the worst thread ever

Raidaz4Life
05-11-2010, 08:53 AM
Lebron is an incredibly talented young man, a classy guy

I stopped reading at this point and realized you had absolutely no idea what you were talking about.

MaHaRaJaH
05-11-2010, 09:06 AM
If Toronto Raptors EVER win, then we know it's not rigged :)

69centers
05-11-2010, 09:08 AM
The current collective bargaining agreement is up the end of next season. If I am not mistaken, the TV deals are up for renegotiating, too. I'm sure this is all tied in somehow.

magichatnumber9
05-11-2010, 09:16 AM
They really need to do away with the lottery. It's a good system but as long as the NBA is running it there is a serious problem. How do we know Stern isn't fixing this thing? And if the lottery is so wonderful why is it the only sport that does it. Now if the playoffs are being rigged that it is on the refs.

ManRam
05-11-2010, 09:27 AM
:facepalm:

That's all. Have a day.

JasonJohnHorn
05-11-2010, 09:56 AM
If he were rigging the playoffs, he'd be doing a bad job; 3 sweeps in the second round? Who wants to watch that?

rhymeratic
05-11-2010, 10:00 AM
Honestly, it's hard to prove that the games are being rigged because of strategy. Think about it, if you're behind by a significant amount, the easiest way to get back in a game is to stop the clock as much as you can to extend the game and get to the line and hit foul shots. Easiest way to get to the line is to drive to the basket.

Unless there are blatant calls like a player falling down and NOBODY touching him within 10 ft, very hard to prove there is cheating amongst refs. Is there star calls and star non-calls... yes we all can clearly see that. How much that alters the game itself, I don't know. What I do know is players argue like every call, especially the stars which then gets future calls/non-calls skewed their way.
Me personally, would prefer the league to rotate every officiating crew in the playoffs. It always feels like I see the same fools aka Joe Crawford out there.

rhymeratic
05-11-2010, 10:05 AM
As far as lottery is concerned. Every team should be allowed a shot at the top 3 positions in the draft. Then if you were one of the 3 teams with the worst record in the league, you would be allowed either an additional supplement pick at end of 1st round of current draft or the right to swap picks the following year with the top 3 team that would have taken your slot.

magichatnumber9
05-11-2010, 10:19 AM
As far as lottery is concerned. Every team should be allowed a shot at the top 3 positions in the draft. Then if you were one of the 3 teams with the worst record in the league, you would be allowed either an additional supplement pick at end of 1st round of current draft or the right to swap picks the following year with the top 3 team that would have taken your slot.
I agree. Every team should have a shot at the top three. After that though it should fall in line with season standings.

JNA17
05-11-2010, 10:21 AM
as much as i dislike some of the calls the refs makes, no it's not rigged. Get over it.

streetballa
05-11-2010, 10:44 AM

Maybe if you expand it to teams that are eliminated in the first round, but not all teams. Even expand it to the top 5, instead of top 3, are done by lottery and rest are done by ranking.

However, I think the lottery should stay as is but be broadcast during the drawing, like most lotteries. I will always feel that the lottery is rigged until I see it happening and untampered....That is just me though

Also what is the most popular quote about all professional sports now-a-days...."it is a business", David Stern is a businessman trying to milk his business for profit. Since he is American and we are known for greed, I would not be surprised if in ten years there is a tell all book from a few refs claiming that David Stern had them influence games in a certain way.

Chronz
05-11-2010, 10:54 AM
Why are you guys acting like this wasnt completely satirical

The Final Boss
05-11-2010, 11:07 AM

I'll never know if this was a good article because I stopped reading when i read THIS.

LAKERRS24
05-11-2010, 11:35 AM
WELL THEN WELL BE IN THE FINALS AGAIN:d
JOKING I THINK IT'S NOT RIGGED, JUST MY STRONG OPINION AFTER WATCHING MOST OF GAMES

Raph12
05-11-2010, 11:41 AM
For SO MANY reasons, this is complete horse ****. I read to the point where it says, "and why did David Stern fine Lebron James $25,000 after not shaking the Magic players hands after their ECF defeat? The real reason is because his minion did not bring home the title, and was being punished".

^Really, dude? Even in the most outlandishly stupid conspiracy theory scenario where he is "working as David Stern's minion" [ <-- I cracked up at this], why would he publicly fine the guy 25k for this and draw any undue attention to their master plan?

The point about Cleveland being the second biggest market now due to increased TV sales, etc. is also failing to realize one thing. THEY ARE A MAJOR NBA MARKET BECAUSE OF LEBRON, NOT BECAUSE CLEVELAND IS THE NEW BOOMING ECONOMY IN AMERICA. If he leaves, over time, so goes their influx in fan base/nationally broadcast games/tv ratings, etc. And it would be transferred in full to whatever team he chooses to go to. On top of that, there will always be a large constituency of LBJ fans in Cleveland that would continue to follow his game/buy his gear, etc. no matter where he ends up. So in effect, I can only see this growing his fan base and garnering more money for the NBA were he to leave.

Edit: I listened to a 2 hour live broadcast on some Celtics Radio Blog tonight that JordansBulls linked earlier today [he apparently firmly believes this conspiracy. unsurprising] where Tim Donaghy was answering questions. He is a complete imbecile, and although I don't doubt that ref's give preferential treatment to certain players (they're people, and you see this in all sports), and he can probably infer who is going to win games at a high rate due to this and all the other knowledge he's accrued working the floor of games for a decade+, I do not for one second buy that the NBA is some WWE league that is being manipulated from the top. The con's so far heavily outweigh the pro's in this scenario that it just would not make business sense to do this, and Stern (along with anyone else who is capable of non-frontal lobe thinking) can grasp that.

Just for the record, that fine against Lebron was for the media availability, not for just not shaking hands... And the fine was later waived.

Don P.Belasario
05-11-2010, 11:42 AM
David Stern is horse ****. This guy goes far beyond meddling. I'm a raptors fan and this guy has repeatedly ****ed us over. From the early expansion rule (no expansion team gets a number 1 pick) goodbye Iverson, hello Damon, to the BS NY Raps series in 2001 where Carter is clearly fouled on the last shot of the game but no call was made and finnally to Euroleague Canada with Stern encouraging Coangalo to take the GM job draft Andrea Barnyard so we can grow the NBA in Europe.

I also think some of his policies where blatenly racist. i.e. Forcing AI to cover his tatoos early on, to the dress code thing, now the new college rule.

I love how Jennings stuck it to this douche bag by taking the cash to play in Europe and saying **** college I'm gonna get paid.

IMO Stern retaliated by not giving him rookie of the year which was clearly his based on his role and record with the Bucks.

David Stern is the puppet master...

xbrackattackx
05-11-2010, 11:44 AM
If NBA was rigged, as rich as Cuban is his Team would be facing the Lakers.

MTar786
05-11-2010, 11:53 AM
If NBA was rigged, as rich as Cuban is his Team would be facing the Lakers.

The mavs this year were FAR better than the spurs and phoenix. theyd be playing LA right now. Stern hates cuban. Will NEVER give him a title. This is coming from a lakers fan who doesnt even like dallas.

the mavs gettin eliminated in 07 and this season.. maybe even in the 06 finals is enough proof that the nba is rigged IMO

BigBlueCrew
05-11-2010, 11:59 AM
I never doubted Tim Donaghy. I always had a hunch something fishy was going on with the refs during the playoffs and Donaghy just nailed for me. I still watch the NBA don't get me wrong. But I know David Stern wants certain stars to go the finals, I'm not that naive.

obanga
David Stern is horseshit. This guy goes far beyond meddling. I'm a raptors fan and this guy has repeatedly ****ed us over. From the early expansion rule (no expansion team gets a number 1 pick) goodbye Iverson, hello Damon, to the BS NY Raps series in 2001 where Carter is clearly fouled on the last shot of the game but no call was made and finnally to Euroleague Canada with Stern encouraging Coangalo to take the GM job draft Andrea Barnyard so we can grow the NBA in Europe.

I also think some of his policies where blatenly racist. i.e. Forcing AI to cover his tatoos early on, to the dress code thing, now the new college rule.

I love how Jennings stuck it to this douche bag by taking the cash to play in Europe and saying **** college I'm gonna get paid.

IMO Stern retaliated by not giving him rookie of the year which was clearly his based on his role and record with the Bucks.

David Stern is the puppet master...

Jennings had a good year. But I don't think it was really as close to Tyreke Evans' or Stephen Curry's, stat-wise. I mean his shooting percentage was less than 40%.

Beengully26
The NBA like all major Sports is BIG BUSINESS.... billions of $$$ are being made. I LOVE SPORTS to death!!!.... but if you think things aren't happening behind closed doors to increase $$$ and maintain revenue then your in denial.

xbrackattackx
05-11-2010, 12:01 PM
The mavs this year were FAR better than the spurs and phoenix. theyd be playing LA right now. Stern hates cuban. Will NEVER give him a title. This is coming from a lakers fan who doesnt even like dallas.

the mavs gettin eliminated in 07 and this season.. maybe even in the 06 finals is enough proof that the nba is rigged IMO

Who said I didn't like Dallas? Go bait someone else.

WickedBadMan
05-11-2010, 12:31 PM
It all comes down to this - who the **** else remembers when Kobe Bryant elbowed Mike Bibby in the ****ing face and Bibby got called for the foul?

Worst / most disturbing call in my memory of NBA.

Chill_Will_24
05-11-2010, 12:35 PM
The New Jersey Nets have a bilionaire owner approved today. Next week the lottery may answer some things somewhat. If the Nets win it, and they get some great players in FA during this off season, or some lopsided trades happen, then i think its safe to say that some shady things happened behind closed doors with Stern and this guys billion dollar check book. Prokhorov is the first non american NBA owner. Why now? How is this profiting Stern? I seem to remember many lawsuits, and complaints of illegal dealings involving Prokhorov but Stern evasively dismissed everything posed against the Russian.

As far as the Cavs, they SHOULD have been to the finals last year. I think that was always the plan. Why else did Nike feel so confident with all the puppet commercials considering they were being aired before the playoffs even began. The downfall was they didnt do their homework and failed to realize that the Cavs were never prepared to deal with the Magic and D12. They got beat so badly and the matchups were so mismatched that there was nothing the refs could do or it would have been too obvious. This year i expect the Cavs to make it. At least the refs have an excuse this year in Shaq to get D12 in foul trouble.