PDA

View Full Version : Jerry Sloan: Kobe Bryant is Miss America

ko8e24
05-10-2010, 07:58 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/news/story?id=5178758

SALT LAKE CITY -- If there was even a slight chance the Lakers would be complacent with a 3-0 lead and look ahead to the Phoenix Suns, Utah Jazz coach Jerry Sloan may have done them a favor by using a curious analogy to describe Kobe Bryant.

"He draws so much attention," Sloan said Sunday. "You give too much help, somebody else is open. If you don't give enough help, he's got what he wants; kind of like Miss America. She gets what she wants."

The Miss America comparison raised Bryant's eyebrows Sunday and caught the attention of Lakers coach Phil Jackson after shoot-around Monday.

"I think Jerry calling Kobe Miss America and comparing him to that is a message," Jackson said. "That is something we will look at."

Sloan wasn't worried how his comments were going to be perceived as much as how his players would react to being behind in the series 0-3, a deficit no NBA team has ever come back from. When he was asked if he could tell how his players would play by looking at their body language after shoot-around he simply smiled.

"I've never been able to tell that," he said. "It's hard to tell what these players are going to do. Watching players over the years I could never tell. Some guy might be jumping around here all morning long and then get the game and not be able to do anything."

Sloan does, however, have a fairly good idea how the Lakers will handle the situation.

"They'll try to put us asleep," he said. "They have the kind of veterans who have been in this situation and that's what they're ambition will but hopefully we can spoil it for them."

That sentiment was echoed by his players, who took issue with Monday's headline in the sports section of The Salt Lake Tribune that read, "All hope is lost."

Jazz point guard Deron Williams simply laughed. "I guess that's what they think," he said.

"That's terrible man," Carlos Boozer said after seeing the headline. "We've been underdogs the whole playoffs. We weren't even supposed to get to the second round, obviously we weren't supposed to beat the Denver Nuggets, we weren't supposed to win this series and we're not supposed to win this game so we don't listen to that. We just take care of ourselves. We believe in each other, we've had chances to win and hopefully we can break through tonight and get one."

The Jazz may be the only ones who think they have a chance, considering Game 4 isn't even sold out -- a full-page ad in the Tribune told fans where they could buy tickets. Few fans, it seems, wanted to come watch the Lakers make history against the Jazz.

Utah has never been swept in a seven-game series. They were swept out of a five-game first-round series against the Golden State Warriors in 1989, Sloan's first season with the team. The Lakers have orchestrated 12 sweeps in 100 best-of-seven series since 1949. The Jazz completed their last sweep in 1998 when they beat the Lakers four straight in the 1998 Western Conference Finals.

"Nobody wants to get swept," Williams said. "That's kind of embarrassing as a playoff team. So we're going to go out here and try to win this game."

Arash Markazi is a writer and columnist for ESPNLosAngeles.com.

D Roses Bulls
05-10-2010, 08:00 PM
jerry sloan is the man

E.O.21
05-10-2010, 08:03 PM
J Slo can say whatever the **** he wants

dodie53
05-10-2010, 08:04 PM
ahahaha.

nice comment for Sloan.

S.J.Basketball
05-10-2010, 08:06 PM
How very Phil Jackson of Jerry Sloan.

Iodine
God Sloan is awesome

Sadly I predict this thread will be run over by people who can't appreciate how funny this is

cmellofan15
If they weren't down 0-3 right now I would agree with you guys but now it just makes him look like a sore loser, even though that's not what he's being

jimbobjarree
05-10-2010, 08:08 PM
haha Sloans the man!

tredigs
05-10-2010, 08:09 PM
Where's JimBob? I want his Sig pics to now come under the header, "Miss America!"

Haha @ Phil's response: "I think Jerry calling Kobe Miss America and comparing him to that is a message," Jackson said. "That is something we will look at."

^Is he being serious? Sarcasm? That's just a weird response. Whole thing cracks me up.

edit: ^ What timing! Do it Jimbob, doooo it.

JNA17
05-10-2010, 08:10 PM
How very Phil Jackson of Jerry Sloan.

and ironically when phil jackson says this type of stuff he's bashed at but anybody but him or stan, they love it. :rolleyes:

jim51990
05-10-2010, 08:11 PM
sloan is the man

Voodoo Alchemy
05-10-2010, 08:12 PM
ultimately, sloan should get in the ring with jackson.

Iodine
05-10-2010, 08:13 PM
and ironically when phil jackson says this type of stuff he's bashed at but anybody but him or stan, they love it. :rolleyes:

Yes its all a conspiracy your right

ko8e24
05-10-2010, 08:13 PM
Jerry Sloan is a good guy, and Lakers fans know that he's always said good stuff about Mr. Bryant. Just Jerry trying to gain some type of momentum or emotional stance against the Lakers in what will be their final game of the season. And he's getting all testy because I don't think he's ever been swept as a head coach.

And plus, he's bringing some levity to the situation for his team.

JNA17
05-10-2010, 08:14 PM

exhibit A

Sly Guy
05-10-2010, 08:16 PM
awesome, just awesome. Cuz it's totally something phil would say.

jimbobjarree
05-10-2010, 08:16 PM
Where's JimBob? I want his Sig pics to now come under the header, "Miss America!"

Haha @ Phil's response: "I think Jerry calling Kobe Miss America and comparing him to that is a message," Jackson said. "That is something we will look at."

^Is he being serious? Sarcasm? That's just a weird response. Whole thing cracks me up.

edit: ^ What timing! Do it Jimbob, doooo it.

done :D

Iodine
05-10-2010, 08:17 PM
exhibit A

Hardcore ****, I mean it's not like I defended Jackson in the thread about him being lucky or good, or have constantly praised him for keeping that team together

Oh right I forgot saying everyone is a hater is easier than trying

JNA17
05-10-2010, 08:17 PM
why doesnt utah ever learn to not make fun of kobe. oh well here comes the sweep and kobe's rage

this is probably one of the best first's post from a nooby i have seen on PSD yet. Welcome :clap:

But still, even i thought it was pretty funny. Jerry Sloan is great and it really is a shame he does not have a ring.

tredigs
05-10-2010, 08:19 PM

Hahahahahahhhhhhhh... with JFK... oh man. You are good.

RipVW
05-10-2010, 08:19 PM
Dont they have a history? Didnt Kobe say that Sloan could never play today because he was too rough?

ko8e24
05-10-2010, 08:20 PM

Up urz Jimbob! :laugh2:

ko8e24
05-10-2010, 08:21 PM
Dont they have a history? Didnt Kobe say that Sloan could never play today because he was too rough?

That's more of a compliment to Sloan and a slap in the face of Stern and the piss poor soft league head officials who've made it a sin to play physical defense in this great sport known as basketball.

Kakaroach
05-10-2010, 08:24 PM
Jerry Sloan, how much we love you in Utah.

JNA17
05-10-2010, 08:24 PM
Oh right I forgot saying everyone is a hater is easier than trying

glad we agree ;)

JNA17
05-10-2010, 08:25 PM

screw you jimbob :laugh2:

jimbobjarree
05-10-2010, 08:26 PM
:bow:

JNA17
05-10-2010, 08:27 PM
:bow:

are my eyes deceiving me or did you change your avatar just now? :confused:

Ray_R
05-10-2010, 08:28 PM
ill copy abotu everyone who has said it before " J. Sloan is the man

The Final Boss
05-10-2010, 08:31 PM
I already know more than half the posters on this site are idiots, so this only further proves my case.

Sloan says Kobe is a beast who demands doubles and triples and when he gets that attention he becomes a monster when his teammates are knocking down shots 'cause he can't get the same attention.

Where does he talk **** about Kobe?

Kobe's the Lord of the Rings...nuff said.

jimbobjarree
05-10-2010, 08:32 PM
are my eyes deceiving me or did you change your avatar just now? :confused:

I changed it yesterday to the mighty JT and the championship trophy!

montazingmvp
05-10-2010, 08:32 PM

honestly, do you do anything but whine?

ko8e24
05-10-2010, 08:33 PM

honestly, do you do anything but annoy mankind?

get off his case and stop starting something unnecessary.

Toenail Clipper
05-10-2010, 08:34 PM
Sloan's a sore loserrrr!

JNA17
05-10-2010, 08:34 PM

honestly, do you know any other actress beside natalie portman?

ko8e24
05-10-2010, 08:35 PM
honestly, do you know any other actress beside natalie portman?

JNA17 bro, just ignore that dirtbag. He's trying to start trouble.

JNA17
05-10-2010, 08:37 PM
JNA17 bro, just ignore that dirtbag. He's trying to start trouble.

note taken my good man ;)

tredigs
05-10-2010, 08:39 PM
I already know more than half the posters on this site are idiots, so this only further proves my case.

Sloan says Kobe is a beast who demands doubles and triples and when he gets that attention he becomes a monster when his teammates are knocking down shots 'cause he can't get the same attention.

More like the mistress of the rings. Lord brings to mind people like Bill Russell, MJ, Kareem, Magic, etc. Or more contemporary... Tim Duncan and Shaq. You know, the #1's. ; ]

Kakaroach
05-10-2010, 08:44 PM
Sloan's a sore loserrrr! As you can see exhibited here, you can clearly tell the people who take the time to read the article vs the people who just post stuff.

The Final Boss
05-10-2010, 08:46 PM
Jimbob are you from England?

Raidaz4Life
LOL I love Sloan

Toenail Clipper
As you can see exhibited here, you can clearly tell the people who take the time to read the article vs the people who just post stuff.

Really? Because I was kidding about the post and I did read the article

montazingmvp
05-10-2010, 08:47 PM
honestly, do you do anything but annoy mankind?

get off his case and stop starting something unnecessary.

so by responding to me in the manner that you are...you're doing the same exact thing i did?

wah, get off my case, wah, mommy...

lakers fans:rolleyes:

jimbobjarree
05-10-2010, 08:54 PM
More like the mistress of the rings

:laugh2:

Jimbob are you from England?

yessir

The Final Boss
05-10-2010, 08:55 PM
More like the mistress of the rings. Lord brings to mind people like Bill Russell, MJ, Kareem, Magic, etc. Or more contemporary... Tim Duncan and Shaq. You know, the #1's. ; ]

You're the kind of poster who needs to wear depends 'cause you scour the internet 24/7 looking for these types of headlines and cream your pants the second you do.

You have plenty of time on your hands though 'cause this same time every season your team is playing golf.

Peace.

dtmagnet
05-10-2010, 08:56 PM
lol thats a funny way of putting it.

GSW Hoops
05-10-2010, 08:57 PM
"He draws so much attention," Sloan said Sunday. "You give too much help, somebody else is open. If you don't give enough help, he's got what he wants; kind of like Miss America. She gets what she wants."

Huh?

lakersdynasty21
05-10-2010, 09:00 PM

I honestly thought the same thing, yea he said "she" gets what "she" wants but he complimented him by saying pretty much whatever you do he has a answer for. Double team him hes been finding the cutters, man on man hes been hitting shots over defenders.

montazingmvp
05-10-2010, 09:00 PM
You're the kind of poster who needs to wear depends 'cause you scour the internet 24/7 looking for these types of headlines and cream your pants the second you do.

You have plenty of time on your hands though 'cause this same time every season your team is playing golf.

Peace.

wow you're a douchebag...

remember one thing...you support the lakers...you don't play for them...you have no control over the outcome of their games so don't use it as a way to talk down to people...

because you come off as a clown

blams
05-10-2010, 09:02 PM
You idiots, it was a ****ing compliment to how dominant Kobe is...:facepalm:

tredigs
05-10-2010, 09:05 PM

Peace.

Well, I don't live vicariously through some dudes that play a professional sport, nor do I idolize them as "lords", so that might be exclusive to you on that one big guy. A little butthurt your lord is getting clowned a bit, per chance? Don't blame me, blame his Elle photoshoots.

The Final Boss
05-10-2010, 09:08 PM
:laugh2:

yessir

Oh, you're one of those guys.

The Final Boss
05-10-2010, 09:13 PM
We have an intelligent poster ladies and gentlemen. One who is acute to reading between the lines instead of being a clown and hating on Kobe.

still1ballin
05-10-2010, 09:15 PM
Nioce

The Final Boss
05-10-2010, 09:16 PM
wow you're a douchebag...

remember one thing...you support the lakers...you don't play for them...you have no control over the outcome of their games so don't use it as a way to talk down to people...

because you come off as a clown

I guarantee you don't have an education. It clearly shows by your lack of the concept of analogies. You continue to reveal your own ignorance.

rabzouz 96
05-10-2010, 09:17 PM

this lol.

JNA17
05-10-2010, 09:19 PM

x2

/thread

montazingmvp
05-10-2010, 09:20 PM
I guarantee you don't have an education. It clearly shows by your lack of the concept of analogies. You continue to reveal your own ignorance.

yeah i'm the arrogant clown making assumptions about people i don't know over the internet...:rolleyes:

and i haven't said a word about the analogy sloan made so that is more nonsense from you

tredigs
05-10-2010, 09:31 PM
We have an intelligent poster ladies and gentlemen. One who is acute to reading between the lines instead of being a clown and hating on Kobe.

The fact of the matter is that you're so blinded by your own idol worship that you can't even comprehend what Sloan did here. It doesn't take a person to "read between the lines" to realize that Sloan, on the surface, was complimenting Kobe. That's the transparent part. Reading between the lines in this case is getting the joke/underhanded dig on Kobe by comparing him to Miss America rather than some famous male actor/King/President, etc who also get whatever they want.

But by all means, continue to spew your stupidity like the ignorant douche you are. You've got a talent, who am I to hold you back.

jimbobjarree
05-10-2010, 09:33 PM
Oh, you're one of those guys.

one of what guys

gerber
05-10-2010, 09:36 PM
WOW, he is a idiot. dont care what the current situation is in the series (in this case 3-0 lakers) you never say crap about KOBE. he is asking to be swept away. dumb a-s.

LALakersKC
05-10-2010, 09:39 PM
It was a compliment, but it'll get taken the wrong way..

effen5
05-10-2010, 09:40 PM
Jerry Sloan is awesome. He definitely deserves a ring.

king4day
05-10-2010, 09:54 PM
Didn't sound like an insult. More like he was saying people will pay attention to him like they do Miss america.

Unless it was a knock on the photo shoot.

jimbobjarree
05-10-2010, 09:55 PM
WOW, he is a idiot. dont care what the current situation is in the series (in this case 3-0 lakers) you never say crap about KOBE. he is asking to be swept away. dumb a-s.

hahahaha wow miss america? he could have said something else. i hope kobe takes it up tha assss and drops 50+ hahahahahah

psd: where intelligent posters happens

GspLAL
05-10-2010, 09:59 PM
Well, I don't live vicariously through some dudes that play a professional sport, nor do I idolize them as "lords", so that might be exclusive to you on that one big guy. A little butthurt your lord is getting clowned a bit, per chance? Don't blame me, blame his Elle photoshoots.

I know right, he's getting clowned so bad plus his team is down 3-0 facing a sweep!! Oh wait..

still1ballin
05-10-2010, 10:02 PM
hahahaha wow miss america? he could have said something else. i hope kobe takes it up tha assss and drops 50+ hahahahahah

:facepalm:

tredigs
05-10-2010, 10:02 PM
I know right, he's getting clowned so bad plus his team is down 3-0 facing a sweep!! Oh wait..

Exactly, which is why you should just take the dig (or just deny that it was a dig at all and take it on surface value as a compliment...), laugh, and move on with the series. The Kobe nut-huggers who are getting defensive over this are just making it funnier for everyone else.

ko8e24
05-10-2010, 10:06 PM
I made this thread because I found his comment laughable. Some of you guys just took this thread to a whole new level. :pity:

GspLAL
05-10-2010, 10:08 PM
Exactly, which is why you should just take the dig (or just deny that it was a dig at all and take it on surface value as a compliment...), laugh, and move on with the series. The Kobe nut-huggers who are getting defensive over this are just making it funnier for everyone else.

I never found it as an insult, the funny part is people mentioning how Kobe is getting clowned when they're on the verge of sweeping Utah.

dukejazz
05-10-2010, 10:16 PM
Sloan wasnt bashing on bryant he was praising him.

Draco
05-10-2010, 10:23 PM
There he is, Miss America...

Miltown34
05-10-2010, 10:31 PM
Phil disses Kobe too in comments and books...so what does he care, him and Sloan will probably drink beers to this one lmao

masalex1205
05-10-2010, 10:35 PM
Stop taking things out of context

this isn't an issue, he's just saying that Kobe requires a double team so if you leave him one on one he'll score or if gets double-teamed he'll pass it to a teammate for an assist. In that way he "gets what he wants"

Regardless, Jerry Sloan is a class act and legend and can do whatever he wants

blams
05-10-2010, 11:32 PM
Sloan wasnt bashing on bryant he was praising him.

I never found it as an insult, the funny part is people mentioning how Kobe is getting clowned when they're on the verge of sweeping Utah.

It was a compliment, but it'll get taken the wrong way..

:clap:

IT WAS A COMPLIMENT

ldc62
05-10-2010, 11:37 PM
Hilarious. I always liked him as a coach.

Raph12
05-10-2010, 11:48 PM
Sloan's teams have never been swept in his 25 year coaching career, too bad "Miss America" wants to change that.

blams
05-10-2010, 11:56 PM
****. It was a ****ing compliment. **** *** **** ***** **** ****. Read the ****ing article. Sloan was basically sucking kobe's ****.

JNA17
05-11-2010, 12:00 AM
****. It was a ****ing compliment. **** *** **** ***** **** ****. Read the ****ing article. Sloan was basically sucking kobe's ****.

is that you Katt Williams?

Costra_Nostra
05-11-2010, 12:12 AM
Well in all those years, did anyone think a "Miss America" would be the first to lead a sweep against a Top 5 Coach of All Time? :laugh2:

SirCalvin81
05-11-2010, 12:19 AM

:clap:

tredigs
05-11-2010, 12:22 AM
is that you Katt Williams?

Hahah... nice. Watching that standup on cable is like listening to the weekly "This is a just a test from the emergency broadcasting system. BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE EP".

gerber
05-11-2010, 12:31 AM
psd: where intelligent posters happens

See I told u. It's stupid to call out 1 of the best ever when u *** is on the line. Mind games don't work with proven superstars like Kobe. Ur just a hater.