PDA

View Full Version : Post here if you think this Summer's free agency will end up being a fluke

DitchDat
05-10-2010, 05:45 PM
I pretty much don't think anything MEGA SHOCKING will happen

players will move, of course, but I think overall it will be very disappointing.

ManRam
05-10-2010, 05:48 PM
Yes. I've been saying it literally for years now. It won't live up to half the hype it's getting. No off-season ever does. Too many players resign, and far too sign-and-trades happen.

Brace yourself for disappointment, especially if LBJ and Wade stay (I still think they will).

Iodine
05-10-2010, 05:53 PM
I like turtles
In reality this offseason like E-Van said will not live up to the hype

IAmKira
you will be singing a different tune in 2 months :)

DitchDat
I think they both will stay too. I don't even think Ama're and Boozer are leaving. It will be guys like Rudy Gay, David Lee, Joe Johnson, Chris Bosh etc. They are nice players, but they will get severely overpaid and they won't suddenly make any team a sure-fire title candidate.

IAmKira
05-10-2010, 05:55 PM
I think they both will stay too. I don't even think Ama're and Boozer are leaving. It will be guys like Rudy Gay, David Lee, Joe Johnson, Chris Bosh etc. They are nice players, but they will get severely overpaid and they won't suddenly make any team a sure-fire title candidate.

i bet u lebron's gonna leave and wade is probably leaving too.

GSW Hoops
05-10-2010, 05:56 PM
I completely disagree. I think this offseason will be huge.

RaiderLakersA's
05-10-2010, 06:00 PM
I don't see anyone giving up money to win a title. But I do see players swapping addresses if it means that they can improve their chances of a title and make the same cash.

A big name free agent will end up in Miami with Wade. Maybe Dirk, Bosh or Amare. I'm almost positive that will happen.

As for NY and other places... well, you know what Yoda said:

"The dark side clouds everything. Impossible to see the future is."

RaysFan
05-10-2010, 06:07 PM
-LeBron stays with Cleveland
-Bosh heads south to Miami in a sign and trade involving Beasley and first round picks
-Amare' stays with Phoenix
-Joe Johnson signs a near-max deal with the Knicks
-Carlos Boozer goes to Chicago for near-max dollars
-David Lee signs with the Nets
-Rudy Gay signs with the Clippers for a max-contract

GSW Hoops
05-10-2010, 06:09 PM
I don't see anyone giving up money to win a title. But I do see players swapping addresses if it means that they can improve their chances of a title and make the same cash.

A big name free agent will end up in Miami with Wade. Maybe Dirk, Bosh or Amare. I'm almost positive that will happen.

As for NY and other places... well, you know what Yoda said:

"The dark side clouds everything. Impossible to see the future is."

Wow, you quoted Yoda in an NBA forum.

COBY KARL
05-10-2010, 06:11 PM
-Bosh heads south to Miami in a sign and trade involving Beasley and first round picks

sorry but the Clippers management isnt that bad.

JWO35
05-10-2010, 06:14 PM
I think nothing major will happen, I can see Bosh going to the Heat. And Rudy Gay getting traded in a Sign-and-Trade deal. Knicks, Bulls, Nets, and other teams with Huge amounts of Cap Space will be very disappointed

Vinny642
05-10-2010, 06:16 PM
This aint gonna be nothin' but a G thang

zachsaints52
05-10-2010, 06:18 PM
This aint gonna be nothin' but a G thang

Bay bayyyyyyyyyyyyy

thescore53
05-10-2010, 06:18 PM
WHEN bosh resigns there will alot goofy people lol

RaiderLakersA's
05-10-2010, 06:19 PM
Wow, you quoted Yoda in an NBA forum.

Which typically means that it's late in the day and time to go home. Thank God Monday is almost over. :cry:

rockets-fan
05-10-2010, 06:21 PM
imo, cb4,jj,stat,and gay are gunna leave...if wade does leave(i wouldnt blame him if he does)_.i think its going to be to chicago to play with rose.

heres how i see it

cb4- no straight up signing only s&t to LA,dallas,or Houston
jj-Ny cuase they aint getting lbj or wade
stat-NY,Chicago
gay-????

nothing more than that will happen imo

NY-SportsFan
05-10-2010, 06:26 PM
sorry but the Clippers management isnt that bad.

Gay's max contract allowed is somewhere around 12.5 mil. He is likely to get something near that.

Problem is he is restricted so memphis will likely match. If he moves its likely in a S&T.

DaBUU
05-10-2010, 06:27 PM
biggest names that will move will be Bosh and Joe Johnson. Wade, Dirk, Pierce and Lebron will re-sign.

thescore53
05-10-2010, 06:34 PM
i hope miami gets no one so i can win my bet

sargon21
05-10-2010, 06:35 PM
i dont think it's going to be nearly as big as people think, and my one and only lock is that bosh will not go to miami
edit: how funny would it be if we had another baron and brand situation, bosh goes to miami and then wade leaves haah

Jonathan2323
05-10-2010, 06:36 PM
WHEN bosh resigns there will alot goofy people lol

you wish.

thescore53
05-10-2010, 06:38 PM
i dont think it's going to be nearly as big as people think, and my one and only lock is that bosh will not go to miami
edit: how funny would it be if we had another baron and brand situation, bosh goes to miami and then wade leaves haah

then miami just stole our franchise for nothing

m26555
05-10-2010, 06:42 PM
LeBron and Wade will end up staying.

lakerssssssss
05-10-2010, 06:43 PM

players will move, of course, but I think overall it will be very disappointing.

I agree.

thescore53
05-10-2010, 06:43 PM
damn straight

igPay atinLay
05-10-2010, 06:44 PM
Even if every player resigns with their old team it won't be a fluke. I don't think fluke is the right word.

m26555
05-10-2010, 06:44 PM
Even if every player resigns with their old team it won't be a fluke. I don't think fluke is the right word.
"Bust" is probably more appropriate.

kingkenny01
05-10-2010, 06:47 PM
lebron resigns and is traded to the lakers

jk.
lebron-resigns
wade-resigns
dirk-does not leave or is not traded
amare-does not op out of 18 mil who would
bosh-miami
joe johnson-chicago
rudy gay-knicks
boozer-knicks
beside maybe chicago, miami and new york no teams become contenders
this offseason no bigger than any other

thescore53
05-10-2010, 06:47 PM
so much ado about nothing

sixer04fan
05-10-2010, 06:49 PM
I think Bosh moves, everyone else stays.

thescore53
05-10-2010, 06:49 PM
lebron resigns and is traded to the lakers

jk.
lebron-resigns
wade-resigns
dirk-does not leave or is not traded
amare-does not op out of 18 mil who would
bosh-Toronto
joe johnson-chicago
rudy gay-knicks
boozer-knicks
beside maybe chicago, miami and new york no teams become contenders
this offseason no bigger than any other

are you serious ?? theres alot of teams willing to offer him max money you think he'll turn that down :facepalm:

thescore53
05-10-2010, 06:50 PM
I think Bosh stays, everyone else moves.

i agree

Jonathan2323
05-10-2010, 06:52 PM
I think Bosh, Joe Johnson, Carlos Boozer and Amare (depending on what happens in the next series) move to different teams next year.

LeBron is hard to say. Im really not sure, i think it will depend what happens aganist Boston.

thescore53
05-10-2010, 06:56 PM
i think wade comes to toronto

Jonathan2323
05-10-2010, 06:58 PM
i think wade comes to toronto

possible

thescore53
05-10-2010, 07:01 PM
possible

you for got ''im'' in front of possible

Jonathan2323
05-10-2010, 07:02 PM
you for got ''im'' in front of possible

then again anythings possible, right?

ko8e24
05-10-2010, 07:06 PM
Bosh goes to Chicago, Wade stays in Miami, Boozer goes to Miami, Amare stays in PHX, LeBron goes to the Clippers, and Joe Johnson gets a vasectomy.

/thread

tredigs
05-10-2010, 07:11 PM
The only thing I'm excited about for the NBA off-season is who buys the Warriors, and who joins Wade [because with a bit of luck injury wise and the right cast, there's no reason why he shouldn't be considered an equal to Kobe]. Interested to see what Lebron does, but I can't say I really care too much.

Broadwayjoe NY
05-10-2010, 07:29 PM
I'm not exactly sure whether to agree or disagree with your notion of it being a fluke. If by fluke, you mean that it is a happenstance of luck or something that'l rarely occur, than yes I agree. This many big-time free agents is not something that happens very often.

I will have to disagree with you, in that I believe some big names will leave. I personally feel the bitter taste of defeat will trump all this summer; so if the big name FAs such as Lebron, Joe Johnson, Dirk, Wade, Bosh, Amare etc. have or will experience a painful loss in the playoffs (assuming they got their in the first place) than that will be the driving force this summer and they will make moves. Where to?? No idea, but there's gonna be plenty of shakeup.

*I would also like to toss out the idea that switching conferences could be a deciding factor as well. Take STAT for example. If his current team, which I feel is one of the better Suns teams of the last few years (much deeper bench), loses to the Lakers convincingly, he may feel a switch to the Eastern Conference has a much easier road to the finals than in the west. Just a thought.

knickerbockerny
05-10-2010, 07:48 PM
Lebron will create a stampede!!! If he is not able to get past Boston, he is as good as gone! Trust! His teammates are really getting outplayed against Boston, esp. Mo Williams. The current Cavs team is the best they have had in years. They are truly built for this year. If he decided to go, he is coming to the Knicks, bringing along with him either Bosh or Amare.

Lebron is not going to the Clippers to play second fiddle to the Lakers. He is not going to Miami, they can't even sell out the arena with Wade. Plus why go play with Wade, on paper that's a nice combo, but there is only room for one King, who wants to play prince? Chicago is tempting, but does he want to play in Jordan's shadow.

If Lebron wins a title, he is staying in Cleveland. If he makes it past Boston the percentage heightens. If they lose to Boston, he's gone. Like I said beginning the stampede. I predict that Dirk would opt out and come East (Miami), Bosh goes to Chicago, Lebron and Amare in New York, David Lee in New Jersey, Joe Johnson resigns, Boozer resigns or goes to Dallas, Rudy Gay signs with the Clippers (Memphis has Brewer and three firsts so they let him walk), Michael Red opts in, and so does Yao.

td0tsfinest
05-10-2010, 07:51 PM
It's funny how the closer it's getting, the less people are thrilled about it. Honestly, I don't expect a lot to happen. When they were first talking about it last season, I still didn't see the hype about it. I still feel that a lot of the top tier guys will stay with their teams.

The only way this off-season would live up to its hype is if either Lebron or Wade change area codes.

thescore53
05-10-2010, 07:54 PM
Lebron will create a stampede!!! If he is not able to get past Boston, he is as good as gone! Trust! His teammates are really getting outplayed against Boston, esp. Mo Williams. The current Cavs team is the best they have had in years. They are truly built for this year. If he decided to go, he is coming to the Knicks, bringing along with him either Bosh or Amare.

Lebron is not going to the Clippers to play second fiddle to the Lakers. He is not going to Miami, they can't even sell out the arena with Wade. Plus why go play with Wade, on paper that's a nice combo, but there is only room for one King, who wants to play prince? Chicago is tempting, but does he want to play in Jordan's shadow.

If Lebron wins a title, he is staying in Cleveland. If he makes it past Boston the percentage heightens. If they lose to Boston, he's gone. Like I said beginning the stampede. I predict that Dirk would opt out and come East (Miami), Bosh goes to Chicago, Lebron and Amare in New York, David Lee in New Jersey, Joe Johnson resigns, Boozer resigns or goes to Dallas, Rudy Gay signs with the Clippers (Memphis has Brewer and three firsts so they let him walk), Michael Red opts in, and so does Yao.

after all that has happened to him you still think he stays

knickerbockerny
05-10-2010, 08:05 PM
after all that has happened to him you still think he stays

If Lebron leaves and comes to New York I don't see where else Johnson can go. If playoff performance has hurt his market value and I believe his only realistic suitors are New York and Atlanta. With New York not as an option he is forced to stay in Atlanta, because they are going to offer him the most money.

This is all hypothetical and depending strongly on if Boston eliminates Cleveland. That is going to push Lebron over the top, not making it out the second round with the best team Ferry can put on the floor.

JOSKOMANG4
05-10-2010, 08:37 PM
My Predictions:

1) Lebron resigns with Cavs but not a long term deal! 3yr 90mill(30mill per season).

2) Knicks sign two key players to bolster their roster! A'Mare Stoudamire(max contract) & Joe Johnson(5yr 82.5mill).

3) Dwayne Wade signs with hometown team Chicago Bulls.

4) Bosh signs with OKC!!!!!!!

thescore53
05-10-2010, 08:42 PM
bosh isnt going to okc soory

dtmagnet
05-10-2010, 09:00 PM
You say fluke but do you mean bust?

Dougger316
05-10-2010, 09:42 PM

Noo Friggin Way! You New Yorkers crack me up because you think New York is the end all be all of cities. Listen... Even if Lebron and one other max went to NY there would still be NO supporting cast around them. If these guys are leaving for the reason of winning then they aren't headed to New York. He would go to the Nets before the Knicks, that franchise is horrible. Anyway, If Lebron wants rings he's going to Chicago because there is a base already set. I know what you are gonna say, "He doesn't wanna be in MJ's shadow and he can make more money in NY." FALSE!!! There is nothing in his Nike contract that says he will get paid more if he goes to NY, AND NIKE would cream over the possibility of marketing "The King" with "His Airness" and the passing of the torch. Also, if he really wants to get out of MJ's shadow he has to take it head on, the only way you will ever convince people you were better than MJ is by convincing Chicagoans themselves. Otherwise the comparison will always be made regardless of what team he is on. The Bulls are already working on trading Kirk Hinrich and Luol Deng so they also have enough for 2 Max contracts with D Rose and JoNo. The most likely scenario is that the Bulls do a sign and trade for Bosh, or they just unload Hinrich and Deng for Draft picks and become the real contenders of FA. If they get the right coach and pick up another Superstar before the Lebron auction begins then he would have no choice but to go for dominance over the next 8-10 years. Also, ur picture says it all. Why would Lebron need to change his number for any other reason then if he were to play for the Bulls.

kingkenny01
05-10-2010, 09:53 PM
knickerbockerny u are the stupidest man alive no way in hell will redd opt out his contract to get less than the 18 mil he will get

knickerbockerny
05-10-2010, 10:24 PM
knickerbockerny u are the stupidest man alive no way in hell will redd opt out his contract to get less than the 18 mil he will get

You most be the stupidest person alive because you clearly can't read. I said "opt in" I definitely did not say "opt out". Because you are not that efficient, when I say the phrase opt in, it means that he is going to pick up his option and stay with the club. Hence opt (option) in.

thescore53
05-10-2010, 10:28 PM
^^ win

knickerbockerny
05-10-2010, 10:34 PM
Noo Friggin Way! You New Yorkers crack me up because you think New York is the end all be all of cities. Listen... Even if Lebron and one other max went to NY there would still be NO supporting cast around them. If these guys are leaving for the reason of winning then they aren't headed to New York. He would go to the Nets before the Knicks, that franchise is horrible. Anyway, If Lebron wants rings he's going to Chicago because there is a base already set. I know what you are gonna say, "He doesn't wanna be in MJ's shadow and he can make more money in NY." FALSE!!! There is nothing in his Nike contract that says he will get paid more if he goes to NY, AND NIKE would cream over the possibility of marketing "The King" with "His Airness" and the passing of the torch. Also, if he really wants to get out of MJ's shadow he has to take it head on, the only way you will ever convince people you were better than MJ is by convincing Chicagoans themselves. Otherwise the comparison will always be made regardless of what team he is on. The Bulls are already working on trading Kirk Hinrich and Luol Deng so they also have enough for 2 Max contracts with D Rose and JoNo. The most likely scenario is that the Bulls do a sign and trade for Bosh, or they just unload Hinrich and Deng for Draft picks and become the real contenders of FA. If they get the right coach and pick up another Superstar before the Lebron auction begins then he would have no choice but to go for dominance over the next 8-10 years. Also, ur picture says it all. Why would Lebron need to change his number for any other reason then if he were to play for the Bulls.

July 1st is right around the corner!!!

And as for a sign and trade with the Raptors for Bosh, who can you guys give up. Are you willing to trade Noah?

No one around the league are trying to help other teams get stronger. You state that the Bulls are just going to unload Hinrich and Deng like its that easy. You see what the Knicks had to do to unload Jeffries' contract, the Rockets took an arm and a leg from us. Most teams want a piece of the free agent frenzy!

If Hinrich was going to be traded it would have happened already. They tried to trade him all year.

Lebron's ego would never let him go and play behind Jordan's shadow.

Lebron already petitioned the league to were number six. That's the number he wants to wear next season.

The Bulls don't even have a coach in place.

Miltown34
05-10-2010, 10:47 PM
Like 3 main guys will move and go 2 2-3 different teams, it's more hype than it should be

IndiansFan337
05-10-2010, 11:19 PM

Bosh will depart from Toronto & JJ from Atlanta.

LBJ, Wade, Amare & Dirk will all stay put.

Boozer probably will leave Utah, but I wouldn't be shocked if they pony up to keep him.

jeter 2
05-10-2010, 11:22 PM
I think Lebron James should go to New York if the Knicks can provide him with another superstar. I think the opportunity to go to New York for Lebron James is too good to pass up.

One the Knicks can provide him with another superstar, something he has lacked his whole career. People say the Knicks that even if the Knicks add another superstar, they won't have enough players to surround them. Well, I disagree. They have Wilson Chandler and Danillo Gallinari, who be great if they were surrounded by 2 superstar players. In addition, the Knicks have Eddy Curry's 11 million dollar expiring contract, which they could trade for a couple of pieces or another good player with a bad contract that a team is looking to get rid of.

Second, the financial gain for Lebron James would be too great. He does own a marketing company that has 2 major clients who are Tedd Ginn Jr. and John Wall. If he runs the company out of New York, he has a better chance to acquire more talent especially in the entertainment industry.

Third, he would increase his exposure playing in New York. Quoting Will Leitch & Ira Boudway from New York: Listen to Vince Gennaro. He did marketing for Pepsi for years and is now a sports-revenue consultant. The prospect of you as “the centerpiece of the resuscitation of one of the marquee franchises in sport” is dizzying, he says. According to him, if you won a title with the Knicks, “the income opportunities would be boundless. It would be staggering.” Nike sales, he says, would “spikeenormously.” You’ve done some slick commercials in your day. We especially enjoyed the Nike “Chalk” spot featuring Lil Wayne and some clever variations on your pregame talcum-powder hand-drying ritual. But check out the Nike ad, up above, that digo, a New York creative shop, already made for you. That work for you? Steve Stoute, the marketing guru behind Translation LLC who lined up your recent deal with McDonald’s, is understandably bullish on your ability to make money from anywhere, but even he acknowledges that “access to money is driven by proximity.” He believes the city’s private-equity crowd would open their wallets for just about anything with your name on it. And we’re not just talking endorsement deals. Name a venture you might like to try—restaurants, nightclubs, a fashion label—and you’ll find the best in the business waiting with open arms. Sonny Vaccaro, the man who persuaded Nike to sign Michael Jordan, told us that if he had “a new shoe company and $200 million to spend on an athlete,” he would give it all to you as a Knick, that he’d “be crazy not to.” Vaccaro, admittedly, is prone to hyperbole (and Nike might have something to say about that deal), but one levelheaded NBA agent we spoke to estimated you’d take in an extra $20 million a year playing here. Gennaro said it best: “You can’t beat the combination of great player and great market.” (Source: http://nymag.com/news/sports/lebron/65908/).

New York could grant Lebron James more money, a better supporting cast and fame, in which he will never achieve in Cleveland.

Predictions:
Lebron James- NY
Chris Bosh- NY
Amare Stoudmire- Miami
Joe Johnson- Stays
David Lee- New Jersey
Carlos Boozer- stays
Dwayne Wade- stays

Mr.WhiteSox
05-10-2010, 11:42 PM
Lebrons going to play for the indians farm system for $500,000 a year

Jonathan2323
05-10-2010, 11:43 PM
I think Lebron James should go to New York if the Knicks can provide him with another superstar. I think the opportunity to go to New York for Lebron James is too good to pass up.

One the Knicks can provide him with another superstar, something he has lacked his whole career. People say the Knicks that even if the Knicks add another superstar, they won't have enough players to surround them. Well, I disagree. They have Wilson Chandler and Danillo Gallinari, who be great if they were surrounded by 2 superstar players. In addition, the Knicks have Eddy Curry's 11 million dollar expiring contract, which they could trade for a couple of pieces or another good player with a bad contract that a team is looking to get rid of.

Second, the financial gain for Lebron James would be too great. He does own a marketing company that has 2 major clients who are Tedd Ginn Jr. and John Wall. If he runs the company out of New York, he has a better chance to acquire more talent especially in the entertainment industry.

Third, he would increase his exposure playing in New York. Quoting Will Leitch & Ira Boudway from New York: Listen to Vince Gennaro. He did marketing for Pepsi for years and is now a sports-revenue consultant. The prospect of you as “the centerpiece of the resuscitation of one of the marquee franchises in sport” is dizzying, he says. According to him, if you won a title with the Knicks, “the income opportunities would be boundless. It would be staggering.” Nike sales, he says, would “spikeenormously.” You’ve done some slick commercials in your day. We especially enjoyed the Nike “Chalk” spot featuring Lil Wayne and some clever variations on your pregame talcum-powder hand-drying ritual. But check out the Nike ad, up above, that digo, a New York creative shop, already made for you. That work for you? Steve Stoute, the marketing guru behind Translation LLC who lined up your recent deal with McDonald’s, is understandably bullish on your ability to make money from anywhere, but even he acknowledges that “access to money is driven by proximity.” He believes the city’s private-equity crowd would open their wallets for just about anything with your name on it. And we’re not just talking endorsement deals. Name a venture you might like to try—restaurants, nightclubs, a fashion label—and you’ll find the best in the business waiting with open arms. Sonny Vaccaro, the man who persuaded Nike to sign Michael Jordan, told us that if he had “a new shoe company and $200 million to spend on an athlete,” he would give it all to you as a Knick, that he’d “be crazy not to.” Vaccaro, admittedly, is prone to hyperbole (and Nike might have something to say about that deal), but one levelheaded NBA agent we spoke to estimated you’d take in an extra $20 million a year playing here. Gennaro said it best: “You can’t beat the combination of great player and great market.” (Source: http://nymag.com/news/sports/lebron/65908/).

New York could grant Lebron James more money, a better supporting cast and fame, in which he will never achieve in Cleveland.

Predictions:
Lebron James- NY
Chris Bosh- NY
Amare Stoudmire- Miami
Joe Johnson- Stays
David Lee- New Jersey
Carlos Boozer- stays
Dwayne Wade- stays

:facepalm:

blams
05-10-2010, 11:45 PM
:facepalm:
You mean bust. "Fluke" is defines something that is rare, that doesn't usually happen. So, if no big superstars move that is a "Fluke?" No.

PrettyBoyJ
05-11-2010, 12:02 AM
players after money will resign wit their teams.. players after a ring will prob go to a better situation if there arent already in one

mdm692
05-11-2010, 12:12 AM
everybody talkin bout summer 2010 aint nothing happenin till the summer of 2011 when the contracts will expire and teams have more money

Lord Leoshes
05-11-2010, 07:47 AM

After Wade/Bosh Miami would still have max, cap left & no one wants to join them?:confused:

Lord Leoshes
05-11-2010, 08:00 AM
If Lebron leaves and comes to New York I don't see where else Johnson can go. If playoff performance has hurt his market value and I believe his only realistic suitors are New York and Atlanta. With New York not as an option he is forced to stay in Atlanta, because they are going to offer him the most money.

This is all hypothetical and depending strongly on if Boston eliminates Cleveland. That is going to push Lebron over the top, not making it out the second round with the best team Ferry can put on the floor.

You undervaluing Miami position in all of this.

AllTimeBest
05-11-2010, 08:24 AM
I don't think it's going to be a fluke, but I also don't expect Lebron or Wade to go anywhere so I'm not expecting as big of things as some are. I think great players (Amare, Bosh, Johnson) are going to be playing for different teams, so it will still be an exciting offseason.