PDA

View Full Version : Greivis Vasquez

AllTimeBest
05-10-2010, 02:07 PM
Just a quick question for you guys. I know that most of your guys favorite teams are your hometown teams. Do any of you have a favorite team because you liked a certain player?

I'm a huge Maryland fan (Orioles, Terps). I follow basketball and love watching it. I have watched all the playoffs, I know all the players, know the rules, I love the game. However, I don't have a favorite NBA team just because I'm not a fan of the Wizards, and no other team has just made me latch onto them and follow them. Whichever team that drafts Vasquez this summer however is going to be the team that I follow hard, I'm a huge fan of Vasquez.

Anyone else similar to this? Have a favorite team because there was/is a player on that team you loved?

Gibby23
05-10-2010, 02:11 PM
Vasquez will be out of the NBA in 2 years, so don't fall too much in love with his team.

AllTimeBest
05-10-2010, 02:15 PM
Vasquez will be out of the NBA in 2 years, so don't fall too much in love with his team.

I don't think so. I think he is going to be a steal and is a star in the making. A big body who can handle the ball and make plays. If his decision making gets better as he grows as a person, he is going to be very good.

Alot of people don't like him in the NBA because of his decision making and passion, but I think he is going to be great for whoever he plays for.

DerekRE_3
05-10-2010, 02:17 PM
My 2nd favorite team is the Bobcats, and it started when Gerald Wallace was taken by them in the expansion draft. I don't just like Wallace though. Love Raymond Felton, really liked Raja Bell when he was there, like Boris Diaw, love Larry Brown, etc.

abe_froman
05-10-2010, 02:18 PM
he probably wont see much..if any playing time,so good luck

AllTimeBest
05-10-2010, 02:18 PM
I would love if Vasquez got drafted by the Thunder since I really like Vasquez, but whoever gets Vasquez will gain a huge fan....

carter15
05-10-2010, 02:19 PM
Orlando Magic and VC. Basically I'm a diehard VC fan and I both root and fall in love with the teams he's on. For example I still cheer for the Nets because having watched them so much they became my 2nd fav. team. And now I love everyone on the Magic and really hope VC stays here for the rest of hs career cause I don't like moving around so much :p.

P.S. I'm really curious to see how Vasquez will turn out as a pro.

AllTimeBest
05-10-2010, 02:23 PM
Orlando Magic and VC. Basically I'm a diehard VC fan and I both root and fall in love with the teams he's on. For example I still cheer for the Nets because having watched them so much they became my 2nd fav. team. And now I love everyone on the Magic and really hope VC stays here for the rest of hs career cause I don't like moving around so much :p.

P.S. I'm really curious to see how Vasquez will turn out as a pro.

I think his aggressive passion for the game makes it hard for people to think he will have a good career. He is clumsy and out of control at times. But he is the first player in ACC history to have 2,000 points, 700 assists, and 600 rebounds. First player in ACC history! So the kid can play. If his decision making gets better, I see a star in the NBA.

Carey
05-10-2010, 02:30 PM
I think Vasquez will be a good pro, i think he'll struggle a little early because he needs to get stronger and work to be a better man to man defender but after that i think he'll be good, i wouldnt say a star but a good rotation NBA player.

Gibby23
05-10-2010, 02:35 PM
I think Vasquez will be a good pro, i think he'll struggle a little early because he needs to get stronger and work to be a better man to man defender but after that i think he'll be good, i wouldnt say a star but a good rotation NBA player.

I don't think he will get better. He is already like 23 or 24. He played 4 years and even redshirted a year. He is what he is and he piled up all those numbers because he played so long. His 1st year he averaged 29 min a game and has been at 30 plus the last 3 years.

AllTimeBest
05-10-2010, 02:47 PM
He was 2nd in the ACC this year in PPG, 33rd in the nation
He was 1st in the ACC this year in assists, 4th in the nation
He was 32nd in the ACC in rebounds.

He is a player that can do everything. His career numbers are part of because of how long he played, but his yearly stats are very good

ballpd05
05-10-2010, 03:17 PM
LOL at all the Vasquez bashing lol.

I liked the Cavs because of Lebron. I'm a Hornets fan, but before then I was a Rockets and Suns fan. I loved Charles Barkley because in middle school I used to play the post despite being the smallest guy on my team (I grew into a sg in 8th grade and pg in hs), but because Barkley was just 6-4 I loved him... That and the Rockets because of how business-like Hakeem was down low. And then just the rockets because an old Charles Barkley got traded there later. ]

Now the Hornets since my Hometown NOLA has a team.

ballpd05
05-10-2010, 03:18 PM
By the way Vasquez will be good. I don't know if he'll be a star but I can see him being one of those sparks off the bench. Like a Jason Terry type.

VRP723
05-10-2010, 03:20 PM
I don't watch the NBA much, but during the playoffs I root for the teams that have players who went to Duke, so right now I'm pulling for the Jazz and the Magic

mavwar53
05-10-2010, 03:25 PM
So what if this team that drafts him doesn't play him, will they still have a huge fan?

NYKnicks4511
05-10-2010, 03:29 PM
Sorry to break it to you man but he has pretty much all the makings of an NBA bust.

He's got sub-par speed to compete at the NBA level (collegiate play masked that), of course his decision making and crappy shot attempts, not an exceptionally good passer, streaky shooter at best, and defense is a question as well.

Not to mention that he is said to be a narcissistic a-hole, I doubt he'll be in a rotation for a couple years (If he's lucky.)

Carey
05-10-2010, 03:34 PM
I don't think he will get better. He is already like 23 or 24. He played 4 years and even redshirted a year. He is what he is and he piled up all those numbers because he played so long. His 1st year he averaged 29 min a game and has been at 30 plus the last 3 years.

You have a point with the age, but i think if you look at a couple things about him...he has good size tho he needs to get alot stronger and he can shoot the ball, if he can become a servicable man to man defender i think he can eventually crack an NBA rotation. You make alot of valid points, his ceiling is sure alot lower then some think.

irishmarine
05-10-2010, 03:55 PM
if he can go to a team like dallas and sit and learn behind a guy like kidd then he could be really good. hes a project though as far as nba goes.

king4day
05-10-2010, 04:07 PM
There was a poster who followed Shaq's teams at one point. Everytime he was traded, that poster would go into the teams forum and rip apart that franchise cuz Shaq was his god. Then he'd follow the new team. Was a joy when Shaq was dealt :)
Been a while since I seen him though. Forget the name.