PDA

View Full Version : Tim Donaghy Says David Stern Will Make Sure Cavs Advance

JordansBulls
05-10-2010, 08:31 AM
Link (http://northstationsports.com/uncategorized/is-tim-donaghys-claim-that-the-nba-wants-lebron-to-beat-the-celtics-find-out-monday-night/)

Former NBA Referee, Tim Donaghy, has gone on record recently stating that he is certain that David Stern and the NBA will do whatever they can to ensure a Lakers/Cavs NBA Finals. Being a die-hard NBA fan for my entire life, I have tried not allowed myself to believe a lot of whatís been claimed about the NBA fixing games. The evidence this post season, however, is undeniably suspect.

Through three gameís played in the semi-finals, LeBron James has played 123 minutes (41, 43, 39) and only been called for three personal foulís. In three gameís the Celtics have been called for 21 more fouls than the Cavaliers (78-57).

Coincidence? Well, lets look at the officiating crew for each game of the series.

Game One:

Rush, Spooner, Phillips

Celtics 25 personal foulís / Cavs 17 personal fouls

Game Two:

D. Crawford, Bavetta, Malloy

Celtics 31 personal fouls / Cavs 16 personal fouls

Game Three:

Salvatore, Mauer, Zarba

Celtics 22 personal fouls / Cavs 24 personal fouls

We all know that officiating can control the flow of the game in more ways than just personal foulís called. As Tim told me yesterday, officials can control the game by controlling turnovers, technicalís, etc.

What may even be more suspect is that Tim Donaghy was given 14 post-season gameís to predict based solely on the officiating crewís assigned and his knowledge of league initiatives.

Donaghy record? 13-1

Evolution23
05-10-2010, 08:40 AM
So why didn't Stern make the Cavs and Lakers happen last year, or the year before, or the year before?

Chill_Will_24
05-10-2010, 08:44 AM
wow thats some crazy stuff. I always said the NBA was rigged. The refs, the lottery, the front office... its all scripted. I relate the NBA more to the WWE than anything. And i think that for most sports. Its all a business. Boxing, football, baseball... you name it. The only sport i think is not scripted is hockey and golf. Oh and nice to see a Bulls fan making a non Rose thread. Keep it up

godolphins
05-10-2010, 08:50 AM
13-1 in the post season :speechless: I wish he can become my friend, I would make a fortune betting on NBA games.

Chill_Will_24
05-10-2010, 08:51 AM
So why didn't Stern make the Cavs and Lakers happen last year, or the year before, or the year before?

I think they were trying. I remember a bunch of BS calls against the Magic when they played the Cavs in their series. Its just the Magic were dominating so much that theres not much the refs couldve done to help. It wouldve been too obvious. The Cavs needed a miracle shot just to avoid a sweep. If the Cavs had played better then people would have given the refs the benefit of the doubt. But they were severly out muscled and the refs had their hands tied. I think if the Cavs somehow get to the ECF again the refs will be able to help them more because now the Cavs have Shaq to help contain D12 so it will be easier for the refs to get Dwight in foul trouble. But if the Magic start rainin and making threes you can forget it because the Magic will advance. It will be interesting

surf and turf
05-10-2010, 08:52 AM
Link (http://northstationsports.com/uncategorized/is-tim-donaghys-claim-that-the-nba-wants-lebron-to-beat-the-celtics-find-out-monday-night/)

I would normaly shrug nonsense like this off, but if you watched the games, and compared the fouls that Lebron is not called for to the ones that send him to the line,,,,well its insane to say the least. When he goes to the hole , the refs basically garuntee a foul will be called, all series , iv been dying for a defender to pretend like he is going to contest his shot then bail out at the last second to emmbaress the ref because its a garuntee the whistle will be blown . Yet no body fouls are called on James when he flies in for his block attempts even though the contact is driving the shooter into the floor. You cant touch him yet he can pound you.

cambovenzi
05-10-2010, 08:55 AM
13-1, with no spread im guessing..

Considering the home teams win the vast majority of games.. and the top teams haven't been upset, its not that impossible.

Lebron is a very aggressive player.
Ofc he will generally get more fouls called for him than against him.

Considering the cavs and lakers are two of the best teams in the NBA, it isn't much of a conspiracy theory that they advanced to where they are right now.

godolphins
05-10-2010, 08:56 AM
I would normaly shrug nonsense like this off, but if you watched the games, and compared the fouls that Lebron is not called for to the ones that send him to the line,,,,well its insane to say the least. When he goes to the hole , the refs basically garuntee a foul will be called, all series , iv been dying for a defender to pretend like he is going to contest his shot then bail out at the last second to emmbaress the ref because its a garuntee the whistle will be blown . Yet no body fouls are called on James when he flies in for his block attempts even though the contact is driving the shooter into the floor. You cant touch him yet he can pound you.

Why would the NBA want Cleveland to go the finals? Shouldn't they want him to
lose so next year he can leave Cleveland and go to a big market team.

Evolution23
05-10-2010, 08:56 AM
I think they were trying. I remember a bunch of BS calls against the Magic when they played the Cavs in their series. Its just the Magic were dominating so much that theres not much the refs couldve done to help. It wouldve been too obvious. The Cavs needed a miracle shot just to avoid a sweep. If the Cavs had played better then people would have given the refs the benefit of the doubt. But they were severly out muscled and the refs had their hands tied. I think if the Cavs somehow get to the ECF again the refs will be able to help them more because now the Cavs have Shaq to help contain D12 so it will be easier for the refs to get Dwight in foul trouble. But if the Magic start rainin and making threes you can forget it because the Magic will advance. It will be interesting

Ur taking the word of an ex-convict... The guy is obviously bitter about getting caught betting but for the most part NBA has fair officiating.

Iodine
05-10-2010, 08:57 AM
Tim Donaghy could say Dwight was a drug king and people would still see him as some inside source. It's kinda sad, the dude could be right or making up BS, but he really isnt credible anymore and people view him as a whistleblower

redsox0717
05-10-2010, 08:57 AM
Well the foul disparity has been laughable, but it isn't just because Stern wants a LeBron/Kobe final. LeBron has been getting to the line if he's breathed on too hard during most of his career, and this playoff series is no different.

Lo Porto
05-10-2010, 08:58 AM
If you watched the first two games of Utah at LA, you could tell the agenda at about 4 minutes left in the 4th quarter of each game. LA gets in trouble with Utah either in the lead or cutting the lead to one possession, refs send Kobe to the line for non-fouls.

I don't think the NBA is rigged, but I do think that the refs give certain teams and players every opportunity to win the games that are best for NBA business.

cambovenzi
05-10-2010, 09:00 AM
If you watched the first two games of Utah at LA, you could tell the agenda at about 4 minutes left in the 4th quarter of each game. LA gets in trouble with Utah either in the lead or cutting the lead to one possession, refs send Kobe to the line for non-fouls.

I don't think the NBA is rigged, but I do think that the refs give certain teams and players every opportunity to win the games that are best for NBA business.

says the jazz fan looking for excuses as to why his team is down 3-0..
How about that noncall against fisher that almost cost us the game?
if they were conspiring against you dont you think that would have been called?

Id love to see these non-fouls that got kobe to the line.

surf and turf
05-10-2010, 09:01 AM
I have watched , from begining to end, the entire careers of Jordan, Bird and Magic and they were never given this sort of treatment from the NBA and the refs. But that is probably why this is happenning. The NBA is desperate to regain the glory days of strong bitter rivalries. But it will never happen. These players today are soft and all about the $$. Those 3 guys cared more about a regular season game then most of todays players care about the playoffs. If those 3 guyse were playing today, there would be no Lebron, or Kobe, they would be considered good players, but their ***** would be red and irritated from the constant spanking they would recieve.

Evolution23
05-10-2010, 09:03 AM

Why would the NBA want the Lakers to sweep the Jazz.. Wouldn't The NBA earn more revenue if they extended the series? If the series goes to 6 or 7 games wouldn't that bring in higher ratings and sell more tickets?

surf and turf
05-10-2010, 09:03 AM

Its all about the money. You have to keep your sponsors happy. Noone wants to pay for commercials if noone is watching. Plus, if he gets Clevland a ring , he may still leave.

Evolution23
05-10-2010, 09:06 AM

I hear u but still its hard for me to imagine a conspiracy on a large scale like this... Can u imagine if another ref came clean and admitted to rigging games? I think me and the rest of the world would lose respect for the game and just stop watching...

Chill_Will_24
05-10-2010, 09:10 AM
I have watched , from begining to end, the entire careers of Jordan, Bird and Magic and they were never given this sort of treatment from the NBA and the refs. But that is probably why this is happenning. The NBA is desperate to regain the glory days of strong bitter rivalries. But it will never happen. These players today are soft and all about the $$. Those 3 guys cared more about a regular season game then most of todays players care about the playoffs. If those 3 guyse were playing today, there would be no Lebron, or Kobe, they would be considered good players, but their ***** would be red and irritated from the constant spanking they would recieve.

I think thats stretching it a little thou. I mean i think Kobes the most competitive guy this league has seen in a while. Lebron also. Its not fair to say they dont care. They definitely want to win. CP3, Wade, Melo, Duncan i mean i could go on forever. This league has competitors. Its just that they also want the most money for their talent. And who can blame them? As far as this league. Something needs to be changed. Maybe let other referees call the games. Officials not employed by any company affiliated with the NBA.

surf and turf
05-10-2010, 09:33 AM
All the players you mentioned care more about the money and their reputation then they do the ring. I want fist fights, i want hatred for each other. I want rip your eyes out before i lose attitudes. If somebody punched Kobe in the face he would cry and run off the court because it would ruin his next photo shoot.

surf and turf
05-10-2010, 09:36 AM
Im watching the James conference right now. He is not mad, he is praising Rondo. I want to see him pick that chair up and smash it over the reporters head. I like RON RON.He just isnt a killer.

BOSTON617
05-10-2010, 09:41 AM
lmfao this is obv that this is what stern wants lol

JJ_JKidd
05-10-2010, 09:52 AM
We all know this already...

Boss Man Chief
05-10-2010, 09:54 AM
Your crazy if you didnt think jordan was about his money too. There isnothing wrong with wanting to get compensated for dedicating your body to a sport. Surf and turf is acting like the NBA is dead when in reality this is the best its been in years. Just because at the end of the day kobe wants $$ has nothing to do with his dedication and his will to be the first one in the gym and the last one out. same thing with lebron. if you remeber lebron came into the league with everyone questioning his shooting and defense and with years of practice he became what he is today so dont come into a thread bashing the nba if u dont like it watch something else.

JayW_1023
05-10-2010, 10:02 AM
wow thats some crazy stuff. I always said the NBA was rigged. The refs, the lottery, the front office... its all scripted. I relate the NBA more to the WWE than anything. And i think that for most sports. Its all a business. Boxing, football, baseball... you name it. The only sport i think is not scripted is hockey and golf. Oh and nice to see a Bulls fan making a non Rose thread. Keep it up

Yes, and Tim Donaghy is a saint who never lies, right?

JayW_1023
05-10-2010, 10:03 AM
13-1 in the post season :speechless: I wish he can become my friend, I would make a fortune betting on NBA games.

Look for his facebook profile then.

surf and turf
05-10-2010, 10:12 AM
Your crazy if you didnt think jordan was about his money too. There isnothing wrong with wanting to get compensated for dedicating your body to a sport. Surf and turf is acting like the NBA is dead when in reality this is the best its been in years. Just because at the end of the day kobe wants $$ has nothing to do with his dedication and his will to be the first one in the gym and the last one out. same thing with lebron. if you remeber lebron came into the league with everyone questioning his shooting and defense and with years of practice he became what he is today so dont come into a thread bashing the nba if u dont like it watch something else.

Everyone cares about money. Its just that guys like Jordan cared about winning much more. He actually played hard all season. Your not getting my point. I didnt say they dont work hard. They wouldnt be so good if they didnt. But they are soft . It doesnt effect them as much when they lose. Guys like Bird, after making millions, and winning rings, and MVP trophies, stayed in the game, with a spine injury that not only required hours of adjustments just to play, but it threatned his ability to walk. Jordan didnt un retire for the money. His endorsements dwarfed his nba salary. He wanted to win again. If Lebron doesnt care about the money he will take less to stay at home with the best team in the NBA wont he?

fadedmario
05-10-2010, 10:13 AM
David Stern needs to be replaced, if this **** is true. The NBA has always had this problem. My own father quit watching in the early 90's because of the refs.

RipVW
05-10-2010, 10:18 AM
Why would the NBA want the Lakers to sweep the Jazz.. Wouldn't The NBA earn more revenue if they extended the series? If the series goes to 6 or 7 games wouldn't that bring in higher ratings and sell more tickets?

Too much is riding on the Lakers advancing that its probably preferable to have the Lakers sweep than have it go 7 games and risk the Lakers losing.

BTW, 13-1 is nothing to sneeze at. When Donaghy got in trouble it was for using his knowledge of biases with other referees...basically, the same thing that is making him 13-1 is what made him right 80% of the time when he wagered as a referee. He didnt cheat by shaving points of fixing games. He used inside knowledge of referee bias and league agenda. BTW, the FBI looked at this and confirmed this. If you saw that 60 Minutes piece, you'd know this.

But lets be honest, what Tim Donaghy is saying has been out there for a while. A lot of people have suspected this.

sep11ie
05-10-2010, 10:30 AM

He already did.

Mr.Chi-Town
05-10-2010, 10:40 AM

he's already said he wants him to stay in cleveland.

http://www.prosportsdaily.com/forums/showthread.php?t=482299

loveofthegame87
05-10-2010, 10:43 AM
Come on surf and turf since you saw a lot of jordan games did you see the 98' all-star game. Kobe went off with all the greats in that game and they took him out; so that mj could get the mvp, because it was suppose to be his last game. As for the toughness kobe's one of the toughest player in the league. He has had all types of injuries and barely miss games.

RipVW
05-10-2010, 10:47 AM
Come on surf and turf since you saw a lot of jordan games did you see the 98' all-star game. Kobe went off with all the greats in that game and they took him out; so that mj could get the mvp, because it was suppose to be his last game. As for the toughness kobe's one of the toughest player in the league. He has had all types of injuries and barely miss games.

Who cares about an all star game? Try to stay on topic, dude.

loveofthegame87
05-10-2010, 10:52 AM
Who cares about an all star game? Try to stay on topic, dude.

Chill guy. It's just a post.

Raoul Duke
05-10-2010, 10:53 AM
It'll be interesting to see how the league responds now that Donaghy has thrown down the gauntlet.

Geargo Wallace
05-10-2010, 10:56 AM
I think Tim has aluminum foil wrapped around his head right now.

Iodine
05-10-2010, 11:00 AM
I think Tim has aluminum foil wrapped around his head right now.

Whatever it takes man, whatever it takes

GrumpyOldMan
05-10-2010, 11:01 AM
Man, I hope Donaghy is full of crap and just bitter about his treatment, but I felt the same way about Jose Canseco's name dropping on steroids and his allegations have pretty much been valid.

RipVW
05-10-2010, 11:04 AM
Chill guy. It's just a post.

...and a bad one at that.

Geargo Wallace
05-10-2010, 11:05 AM
Whatever it takes man, whatever it takes

... to keep those aliens out of his head lol

Raph12
05-10-2010, 11:10 AM
That travelling call that was changed to a foul did it for me, problem is, when a team is just that much better, not even the refs can help them (see 2009 ECFs).

RaiderLakersA's
05-10-2010, 11:12 AM
Well the foul disparity has been laughable, but it isn't just because Stern wants a LeBron/Kobe final. LeBron has been getting to the line if he's breathed on too hard during most of his career, and this playoff series is no different.

That's pretty much how I see it, too. Not just with LeBron, but most superstars.

Donaghy has zero credibility with me. Next someone will say that he believes that the refs are also responsible for Rondo's break out post-season play as well.

kjdills13
05-10-2010, 11:14 AM

Not true im a suns fan i hate the lakers but. MOST of Kobe's fouls are legit. Kobe is a smart player and sets people up to foul him. Any time a player is in poor position and kobe knows he can draw the foul he does. That is just smart basketball.
Lebron on the other hand drives to the hoop like a mad man moving everything in his way and if he gets touched its a foul. 2 completely different types of games. I feel like Lebron should get more offensive fouls

streetballa
05-10-2010, 11:16 AM
This is one of those things that we wish to be untrue, but have all known is. Who does not believe superstars get the benefit of most whistles or veterans get the advantage over rookies. Why does Stern want the players to keep their mouth shut about the officiating? Let players say what they feel and investigate it.

Also the NBA has been becoming softer than baseball, hard fouls are flagrant now. Good thing the "Bad Boys" did not get officiated like this or they would have been eliminated in the first round.

hvg
05-10-2010, 11:29 AM
Foul comparison between celtics and cavs is completely unfair. Shaq draws like 5/game by himself just standing around and lebron draws a decent bit too.

drew_ellis_23
05-10-2010, 11:33 AM
This thread is stupid. Phoenix and Orlando will be in the Finals!

Squad13
05-10-2010, 11:40 AM

:laugh: Do you Jazz fans ever stop crying? You guys are a worse team, and the games have been even, besides game 3 of course, where they handed you the game on a silver platter and you blew it, I guess that's the refs wanting the lakers to lose?

Squad13
05-10-2010, 11:44 AM

Congrats one of the worst posts I've ever read on this site, Kobe is soft and only about the money? :laugh: That's why he works harder than anyone that's ever played the game right? And plays with broken fingers and all kinds of injuries, gtfo .

ink
05-10-2010, 12:00 PM
Since there isn't one shred of credible evidence in here, no direct quotes, and the source is basically a blog, this one is getting closed.