PDA

View Full Version : Sweep says more about Spurs than Suns

Chronz
05-09-2010, 11:10 PM
Are we all in agreement that both teams were better in the past. The Spurs are just that far away from where they were. It was a close sweep though..

Jizzle
05-09-2010, 11:16 PM
How could something be a "close sweep"

sweep = total ownage. PERIOD

Come back when you've grown a pair

still1ballin
05-09-2010, 11:17 PM
:laugh2:

Chronz would jizz all over you jizzle so if I were you, I'd keep my mouth shut.

Spurred1
05-09-2010, 11:18 PM
Not familiar with the term close sweep. Please elaborate on this for me, Chronz.

king4day
05-09-2010, 11:18 PM
In 04-05, the Spurs won 4-1 but every game was just as close.
Each team is vastly different.

With another year for Blair, Hill, and Splitter (debuting), the Spurs will be right back here next year.

Shady66
05-09-2010, 11:19 PM
How could something be a "close sweep"

sweep = total ownage. PERIOD

Come back when you've grown a pair

Did you watch the series?
A lot of the games could have gone either way, the Suns just executed better in the 4th quarters.

td0tsfinest
05-09-2010, 11:21 PM
He's right, they were close sweeps. A lot of the games could've went the spurs way if the suns missed a couple of shots or the spurs made a couple in the last few minutes.

iggypop123
05-09-2010, 11:24 PM
the duncan era is over

Spurred1
05-09-2010, 11:25 PM
Okay, so it does mean what I thought it meant. Then yes, he's correct.

td0tsfinest
05-09-2010, 11:34 PM
the duncan era is over

it might possibly be. He's 34 years old. He's been to the playoffs every year except once. How many years does he really have in him? I'd say 3 tops.

TEXASTITAN
05-09-2010, 11:35 PM
This officially ends the spurs dynasty. When pops leaves duncan will retire. If parker is traded in the offseason if will further expedite their implosion and the duncan era is over. It was coming for years now and the clutch shots just didn't fall for them this year im a rockets fan but i live in san antonio and i can't say im sad to see it end. They honestly thought adding jefferson and drafting blair was going to keep them going and they failed. For the suns fans enjoy it while you can because as soon as your season is over amare is gone so you won't be back in this position for quite some time. They almost traded amare this year and the year before and obviously wont be able to afford his price tag so when it ends it's over in phoenix.

jackdawson
05-10-2010, 12:21 AM
Tim Duncan ear is probably over.Spurs are boring to watch but I have been a huge fan of his fundamentals and it makes me sad to think his days are near to end.

Toenail Clipper
05-10-2010, 12:23 AM
Tim Duncan's year is not over, I mean MJ still had it when he was old

gcoll
05-10-2010, 12:25 AM
Are we all in agreement that both teams were better in the past. The Spurs are just that far away from where they were. It was a close sweep though..

No. I'm not in agreement that the previous Suns teams were better. They had no bench, and not as many three point shooters.

What does "close sweep" mean? Our average margin of victory in the series was a bit better than 9 points.

still1ballin
05-10-2010, 12:26 AM
I remember reading an article right after the Spurs got Jefferson, in which Popovich said that if he doesn't win a championship or go to the finals that he should be fired. Anybody remember reading that or hearing it?

marlinsfan24
05-10-2010, 12:28 AM
I don't think the Spurs are done. Their window is very small and probably only have next season left. But it ain't over for them

jackdawson
05-10-2010, 12:30 AM

Tim Duncan is not as athletic as MJ was, besides MJ had terrific teams around him in his bulls days.

PrettyBoyJ
05-10-2010, 12:52 AM

2 complete diff players.. evry year Timmy has a naggin injury.. evrythin is jus catching up.. I think Pop should go back to his plan earlier this season makin TP the go to guy

tredigs
05-10-2010, 01:00 AM
Tim Duncan is not as athletic as MJ was, besides MJ had terrific teams around him in his bulls days.

The Spurs are going to need to look for more help this off season [I'd look to package Tony P. and Jefferson in a big deal], but I'd disagree that Duncan is done being an elite big. You're obviously right that Tim isn't athletic like MJ was, but that's part of the reason why he will still be effective. His game has never been about athleticism, it's about having the best fundamentals the game has ever seen, pure and simple. And that won't go away with age. He'll get a bit less blocks and rebounds with age, but I don't see much else changing in the next few years. Even this year, his per 36 numbers were identical to what they've always been. The guy is just a robot.

GSW Hoops
05-10-2010, 01:09 AM
I think it says more about the Mavericks than anything.

Bishnoff
05-10-2010, 01:28 AM
I think this thread totally discredits what the Suns achieved. On numerous occasions we came from behind to win the game, relying on a different hero in each win. I guess it was the Spurs demise that allowed Dragic to go off in the 4th quarter in Game 3, Frye to hit 5-6 from behind the arc in the 2nd half of Game 2, Nash to go on the attack in Game 1 & 4? The Spurs played hard in this series, but the Suns had all the answers.

thekmp211
05-10-2010, 01:33 AM
I think it says more about the Mavericks than anything.

lol. mark cuban is going to go nuts this offseason, i predict one big name will come in via sign-and-trade. a joe johnson type would be a great pickup for them and they have some assets. just a thought.

the poor spurs, as much as i've always cast them as a villain in my own mind it's sad to watch the dynasty slowly crumble.

this suns team i think is not as "talented" as some of the other iterations of the nash era but they are more versatile. swiss army knife suns. dudley, frye, barbosa, dragic ect do a lot of different things off the bench whereas in years past the suns would cut down to 7 and sometimes 6 man rotations in the playoffs. hope they pull off the upset.

Voodoo Alchemy
05-10-2010, 01:38 AM
I think this thread totally discredits what the Suns achieved. On numerous occasions we came from behind to win the game, relying on a different hero in each win. I guess it was the Spurs demise that allowed Dragic to go off in the 4th quarter in Game 3, Frye to hit 5-6 from behind the arc in the 2nd half of Game 2, Nash to go on the attack in Game 1 & 4? The Spurs played hard in this series, but the Suns had all the answers.

i agree. the last several years, we always blamed jj's injury, nash's nose, the suspensions. this year, there were no excuse except we beat them fair and square, and the spurs were healthy. they talk about not having bowen. what about all the players we lost to trades and free agency.

abe_froman
05-10-2010, 01:38 AM
it has alot to say about both,the suns are a good team and should be credited for being such...but yes the spurs are a shell of their former selves

Voodoo Alchemy
05-10-2010, 02:11 AM
it has alot to say about both,the suns are a good team and should be credited for being such...but yes the spurs are a shell of their former selves

well, that shell beat a very good mavs team and were heavily favored against the suns.

ElMarroAfamado
05-10-2010, 02:12 AM
check all my posts related to the spurs ...i am not a hater...im just a realist when it comes to them...its over and has been for a while...

ElMarroAfamado
05-10-2010, 02:17 AM

With another year for Blair, Hill, and Splitter (debuting), the Spurs will be right back here next year.

statements like this is what annoys me the most when it comes to the spurs
people say these things EVERY YEAR..for how long now?
it is over for them and they need a complete overhual...they will probably make the playoffs because of duncan but they are no where near being championship contender and no they are not contenders because they have popovich and tim duncan....all these cliches need to stop

they are done...and they made a mistake signing manu ginobli to an extension...

abe_froman
05-10-2010, 02:17 AM
well, that shell beat a very good mavs team and were heavily favored against the suns.

well than you dont truely apprechiate just how good the spurs were at the hieght of their power

ElMarroAfamado
05-10-2010, 02:18 AM
and as much as i hate the suns...
i agree in that they also deserve credit...
alot actually...its not easy to sweep anybody especially in the West.

Bishnoff
05-10-2010, 02:18 AM

Bingo.

Bishnoff
05-10-2010, 02:27 AM
well than you dont truely apprechiate just how good the spurs were at the hieght of their power

Obviously they (the Spurs) were better, but teams change. The Suns have changed and are a better team (overall) now. As a Suns fan it is frustrating to hear people say that we beat a Spurs team on the demise. Duncan, Manu and TP can still ball; they just didnít have enough answers for our multi-faceted offense.

kEviN21
05-10-2010, 02:29 AM
The Magic series is going to be a sweep and complete ownage lol...MAGIC VS SUNS!!

abe_froman
05-10-2010, 02:30 AM
Obviously they (the Spurs) were better, but teams change. The Suns have changed and are a better team (overall) now. As a Suns fan it is frustrating to hear people say that we beat a Spurs team on the demise. Duncan, Manu and TP can still ball; they just didn’t have enough answers for our multi-faceted offense.

which if you look at my orinial post is what i said.yes the spurs are older and even say 3 years ago i doubt you beat them.but give credit where its due,the suns are a really good team that havent gotten nearly enough credit for being as good as they are this year

Voodoo Alchemy
05-10-2010, 02:31 AM
Obviously they (the Spurs) were better, but teams change. The Suns have changed and are a better team (overall) now. As a Suns fan it is frustrating to hear people say that we beat a Spurs team on the demise. Duncan, Manu and TP can still ball; they just didnít have enough answers for our multi-faceted offense.

or they say the spurs are getting old. what the hell do you call nash (35) and hill (37)? at one point, i think we were the oldest team with shaq (65)!!!

JayW_1023
05-10-2010, 04:57 AM
It seems the moment Bruce Bowen left...our dynasty was no longer.

rocky4104
05-10-2010, 05:26 AM
It seems the moment Bruce Bowen left...our dynasty was no longer.

seriously bro? he had that big of an impact on the spurs?

Chronz
05-10-2010, 01:41 PM

Suns were pretty good back in the day, and I understand close sweeps are still lopsided, Im just saying the flow and overall competitiveness of every game makes these kind of sweeps more forgiving.

No. I'm not in agreement that the previous Suns teams were better. They had no bench, and not as many three point shooters.
They did lack a bench, it is yet to be seen if that makes up for the severe talent disparity.

What does "close sweep" mean? Our average margin of victory in the series was a bit better than 9 points.

Is that bad? I have no idea what the averages look like for sweeps from a historical perspective, but to me these games were very competitive.

pebloemer
05-10-2010, 02:01 PM
If the Spurs era is officially over, this would be quite the storied way of indicating it is. The Nash/Amare Suns finally get past them in the playoffs with Nash being the bloodied hero.

We'll see how the Spurs compete next year.

J Dub8299
05-10-2010, 02:11 PM
Did you watch the series?
A lot of the games could have gone either way, the Suns just executed better in the 4th quarters.

That's called being better than your opponent...A close sweep? LOL

Chronz
05-10-2010, 02:33 PM
Duncans defensive decline has been the reason for that. Take the Suns from those years vs these Spurs and every game is a route.

ballpd05
05-10-2010, 03:11 PM

I think if you take Jordan and Timmy off of their respective teams that this Spurs team has more individual talent... There was Scottie and not much else in the ways of offensive playmaking.

Tim Duncan needs another high quality post player. One who is athletic and long enough to deal with the younger, quicker, and more perimeter oriented big men in the league as well as help with the weak side shot blocking.

The Spurs have talent though. With Parker, Hill, Ginobli, Duncan (although not the big he once was), and Blair they could be one piece away from contending again. They need a role playing SF too. Jefferson wasn't the answer mostly because of the role he was asked to fulfill. I think a guy like trevor ariza or travis outlaw ould have done wonders. The type of guy who could be athletic defenders, finish in the open court, and knock down open three pointers. The floor was a lot more congested with Jefferson out there.

thekmp211
05-10-2010, 03:13 PM
I think if you take Jordan and Timmy off of their respective teams that this Spurs team has more individual talent... There was Scottie and not much else in the ways of offensive playmaking.

Tim Duncan needs another high quality post player. One who is athletic and long enough to deal with the younger, quicker, and more perimeter oriented big men in the league as well as help with the weak side shot blocking.

The Spurs have talent though. With Parker, Hill, Ginobli, Duncan (although not the big he once was), and Blair they could be one piece away from contending again. They need a role playing SF too. Jefferson wasn't the answer mostly because of the role he was asked to fulfill. I think a guy like trevor ariza or travis outlaw ould have done wonders. The type of guy who could be athletic defenders, finish in the open court, and knock down open three pointers. The floor was a lot more congested with Jefferson out there.

best-case scenario would be to transition duncan much like they did with robinson. obviously that worked out so well because of duncan, it's unlikely they'll acquire a young (or old) guy with remotely close to that talent. that should be the plan, though.

Joshtd1
05-10-2010, 05:24 PM
I really think if our coaching was better and Gentry didnt make Pop his ***** the series would have been alot closer, or Spurs would have won atleast more then 1 game.

GSW Hoops
05-10-2010, 05:55 PM
Lebron to San Antonio ohhhhhhhh

ink
05-10-2010, 06:04 PM
It's funny how in the Spurs vs. Mavericks thread a few weeks ago it was argued that the Spurs beating the Mavs was no upset because they are still a very good team. Now the Suns beat the same Spurs team but it's no big deal because they're no longer any good. Did they become a bad team in a week?

Credit where it's due. The Suns got the monkey off their backs and vanquished a foe that had their number for half a decade. It's a big achievement that merits some congratulations ... and then they need to move on to beat the Lakers, who will be waiting to exact some revenge of their own for some of the eliminations the Suns laid on them in the years before the Pau Gasol trade.

JasonJohnHorn
05-10-2010, 06:08 PM
The Spurs are a decent center and a three-point threat away from contention.

what killed them? Game two: Frye was 5-5 from the arc. Game three: Barbosa and Dragic were 7-7 from the arc. Game four: Nash and Dudley were 6-6 from the arc.

It is next to impossible to win when you have so many guys on the opposite team shooting 100% from the arc. That is CRAZY!

The Spurs miss Bowen, on defence and on the arc. The miss Finley, on defence and the arc. And they werent even playing Mason (likely their best three-point shooter) all series.

And they couldnt take advantage of the Suns biggest weak spot: lack of post defence.

Adding a guy like Brad Miller and three-point shooter/defence on the wing would make this team SO much better.

If the Suns were shooting their regular season averages from the arc, the Spurs would have swept this series, so I can understand Chronz saying it was a "close sweep".

But the Suns spread the Spurs defence, Pop got out-coached (which I said before the series was the Spurs best weapon- guess I was wrong), and the Suns made the Spurs pay on the pick-and-roll.

Lets not forget that the Spurs just beat the Mavs. The Spurs are still a great team, a 50+ win team in the west and in the toughest division in the league. They are a couple of pieces away from making a legit title run. It may or may not happen, but with so many free agents on the market and some talent and aging stars like Brad Miller and Jermaine O'Neal likely being relgaged to mid-leve-exception status, the Spurs will be able to pic up some talent for next to nothing.

SteveNash
05-10-2010, 06:14 PM
Spurs showed all the signs of being done against LA two years ago.

I still don't know how they managed to beat Dallas. I'm blaming Carlisle.

Chronz
05-11-2010, 10:39 AM
It's funny how in the Spurs vs. Mavericks thread a few weeks ago it was argued that the Spurs beating the Mavs was no upset because they are still a very good team. Now the Suns beat the same Spurs team but it's no big deal because they're no longer any good. Did they become a bad team in a week?
Spurs defeating the Mavs wasnt an upset based on historical trends. Ill admit I expected the Spurs to atleast by chance win a game, and it looked like it was G3 then Dragic happened.

Suns are still better than the Spurs, Spurs and Suns were both better than Mavs. Im just saying Latter day Suns and Spurs were way better than both of these squads.

Credit where it's due. The Suns got the monkey off their backs and vanquished a foe that had their number for half a decade. It's a big achievement that merits some congratulations ... and then they need to move on to beat the Lakers, who will be waiting to exact some revenge of their own for some of the eliminations the Suns laid on them in the years before the Pau Gasol trade.
As a fan I understand completely, revenge is sweet. But its not very vindicating when you know its far from the same team that beat you. Much of the hated characters/rivalries are gone from this show. Still its close enough to merit congrats.