PDA

View Full Version : Was it a good idea to resign Manu?

Hellcrooner
05-09-2010, 10:51 PM
I mean Suns hav taken out them in 4 the team is not oging to go younger so....

Wouldn they have just been better by signing and trading him for some expiring+ younger player and low pick this summer?

Then trade to trade Parker and Jefferson in similar deals and beggin the rebuilding already ?

Spurred1
05-09-2010, 10:57 PM
He was tearing it up until his nose was broken. Seemed like he started dropping off after that.

DitchDat
05-10-2010, 05:28 AM
no

Chronz
05-10-2010, 01:22 PM
Expect a decline, but hes worth every penny. They need him and they can still trade him afterwards. No sense in rushing into a downgrade just because other players on the team arent helping.

m26555
05-10-2010, 01:25 PM
Re-signing Ginobili was certainly not a bad idea.

Everyone is talking like the Spurs are finished when one or two good free agent signings in the off-season could put them back near the top of the West next year.

king4day
05-10-2010, 01:25 PM
It's not an awful contract and it's a short term one.
If after next year, they want to go in another direction, I don't see them having an issue dealing him and getting value in return.

GSW Hoops
05-10-2010, 02:37 PM
He's one of their best players, and they won 50 games this season. Plus, they beat the Mavericks handily in a 7-game series. That's a lot more than most NBA experts expected them to do a month ago.

If they blow up the roster like some people seem to think they should do, they won't even make the playoffs next season. Then where will they be?

Instead, retain the core and wait for draft picks (like Blair, Hill) to develop. Spurs have always had great drafts.

sep11ie
05-10-2010, 02:49 PM
I think he was overpaid, but it won't handicap the franchise or anything.

ballpd05
05-10-2010, 02:59 PM
The Spurs need a small forward cuz Richard Jefferson was highly disappointing. I don't think they need one who has to be able to create either. I would just look for a guy who could play D and hit open threes... Trevor Ariza or Travis Outlaw would be good fits for them.

They need a way to matchup with these more perimeter oriented big men as well as a better help side shot blocker. So I think they need to find another athletic and mobile big man to help matchup.

Ginobli was probably their best player. Parker still has some left in the tank, and George Hill and Blair will only get better.

If that isn't the case maybe they need to look at doing something with Tim. He is just a shell of his former self and while he can still be productive I have a hard time still calling him elite the way he mixes 20-10 games with 13-6 games... That and he gotten way too slow.

Iodine
05-10-2010, 03:00 PM
Hell ****ing yeah

ko8e24
05-10-2010, 03:16 PM
It wasn't the best deal to make for SAS, but it was "okay". But they will get bounced out in the 1st rd or not even make the playoffs in the competitive West for the next 3-4 yrs. Duncan, McDyess are old. Parker is still in his late 20's, but the injuries have made him look close to a guy in his mid-30's in Parker's last 2 seasons. Manu is also getting injured every other month of the regular season, and in the playoffs, and he's 33. RJ trade was a bust. Roger Mason had good one-half season (08-09) with Spurs, since then he's disappeared. Only bright sights are George Hill and Dejuan Blair. Matt Bonner is a good role player to have on the team.

smith&wesson
05-10-2010, 03:39 PM
i think the mistake was signing jeffreson .. he hasnt done much to help the spurs. manu parker and timmy are still doing there part. the rest of the west have gotten stronger. thats why the spurs went and got rj, but he clearly was not the answer.

soonabooma
05-10-2010, 04:36 PM
There's about 29 other teams in the league that would love to have him. He's still a great player, and San Antonio will certainly need him as long as he can play. But there's no question, it's disappointing to see them get swept. They should have been able to put up a decent fight like Boston has in the East, but they got smashed. They'll be pretty good next year though just based on their younger guys having more experience and playing at a higher level. Don't expect them to be too down, they'll be every bit as dangerous.

td0tsfinest
05-10-2010, 05:14 PM
I still think he's getting too much for his age. His production is just going to decline in the next few seasons but if he is a valuable player. He's got this gutsiness in him that I really admire.

SteveNash
05-10-2010, 05:55 PM
Nope, they need to rebuild. Sticking with Manu was a bad decision.

JayW_1023
05-10-2010, 06:38 PM
Resign your second best player. Sure it was. Everyone is expendable except Duncan Manu and Hill...that's the way I see it.

lakerssssssss
05-10-2010, 06:46 PM
Yeah, it was a good idea.