PDA

View Full Version : "Joe Johnson, do you think you are costing yourself money?" His response was...

Jonathan2323
05-09-2010, 10:47 PM
"Joe, do you think you are costing yourself money?"

And even more unbelievable than his performance and that of his teammates was Johnson's answer: "No."
Huh?

read more :http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/playoffs/2010/columns/story?columnist=sheridan_chris&page=joejohnson-100508

He thinks his recent play hasn't hurt him and its probably true someone will overpay for him.

Sportfan
05-09-2010, 10:48 PM
JJ is a stud.

AntwanN21
05-09-2010, 10:51 PM
jj will get his money, he doesnt need to worry about that

Costra_Nostra
05-09-2010, 10:52 PM
Translation: I'll be making millions anyways.

Him making 10-13 Million seems just about right to me. I don't know how old he is, but he should no way be making more money than Manu.

Raph12
05-09-2010, 10:53 PM
Someone might be dumb enough to pay max dollars for him, he isn't #1 option quality.

kEviN21
05-09-2010, 10:56 PM
JJ>Manu

Translation: I'll be making millions anyways.

Him making 10-13 Million seems just about right to me. I don't know how old he is, but he should no way be making more money than Manu.

effen5
05-09-2010, 11:00 PM
NYK will pay JJ the max....I wanted JJ on the Bulls but definitely wouldn't pay him anywhere near the max....I would give him BG type of money though.

TheHoopsProphet
05-09-2010, 11:04 PM
This is the definition of media entrapment. Force a public image into a corner and ask him (or her) a question with no right answer. Had he said yes, he would have admitted to his market value being lower than what he and his agent desired, making it difficult for him to profit in this business called the NBA. Had he said no, which he did, he now looks like a megalomaniac with no passion for the game.

He's been in a slump during these playoffs, and considering his good but not great team, it highlights more because the team relies on him a lot to win. Dwight did worse in the first round, but his team still won because they're that much better. In other words, the number of wins the Hawks made to get to be a no.3 seed had a lot to do with the man fans booed at home the other day. Joe Johnson is a great person (and if hes not, he's done a hell of a job to portray himself as one), no one in their right mind is going to ignore an opportunity to make as much money as possible in free agency.

ManRam
05-09-2010, 11:06 PM
He'll get paid. A lot of teams have money, and there aren't going to be as many guys who hit the market as there are teams that need a star player. In other words, there are going to be a lot of guys who will get more than they deserve, like JJ.

ugafan
05-09-2010, 11:10 PM
I'm not too familiar with the NBA salary stuff(truth be told, I started watching basketball just a couple of years ago) but where does this leave the Hawks salary-wise? We're obviously not re-signing JJ, but does this give us enough money for a max contract? We have nice pieces to build around in Smith and Horford, just need a star to put us over the top.

ManRam
05-09-2010, 11:20 PM
I'm not too familiar with the NBA salary stuff(truth be told, I started watching basketball just a couple of years ago) but where does this leave the Hawks salary-wise? We're obviously not re-signing JJ, but does this give us enough money for a max contract? We have nice pieces to build around in Smith and Horford, just need a star to put us over the top.

It's complicated...but in a word, "no".

The Hawks project to be at around 47-48M next year, and the cap projects to be around 56 million. The Hawks will only have 8 (or 7, Evans has a player option) for that salary figure. So not only do they only have less than 10 million to play with before they have to use the MLE and other exemptions, but they to fill up their roster. No way they sign a big name this off-season.

Don't see a star in your future, baring a big trade (don't see that either).

jackdawson
05-09-2010, 11:22 PM
When there is knicks, there is a way for him.

Fool
05-09-2010, 11:25 PM
I can honestly tell you that I forgot that this was even a series. I forgot the matchup even existed....

Costra_Nostra
05-09-2010, 11:27 PM
JJ>Manu

Nope. Manu is just about better at every facet of the game. I would love to hear you counter on this.

LA_Raiders
05-09-2010, 11:40 PM
with this economy, who is going to over pay him? NY may be

RocketsRule
05-09-2010, 11:45 PM
The teams that miss out on the top tier stars (Lebron, Wade and Bosh) will probably retaliate by overpaying guys like Joe Johnson and Carlos Boozer.

So he is probably right in saying that he didn't cost himself money.

ldc62
05-09-2010, 11:59 PM
I wouldn't want him on my team for a max contract...

Toenail Clipper
05-10-2010, 12:01 AM
JJ to the Clippers, then he's gonna get injured. lmfao

ldc62
05-10-2010, 01:19 AM
The teams in the nba should make a statement and all refuse to give him a max contract... but nope not gonna happen because of the Knicks.

abe_froman
05-10-2010, 01:29 AM
The teams in the nba should make a statement and all refuse to give him a max contract... but nope not gonna happen because of the Knicks.

i dont think the knicks will,if it was still under thomas i'd say yes..but with 11 looming and melo's comments about ny ,i can see them suck another year for a shot at him if they strike out this summer.

he may not think it,but he's going to learn a hard reality come summer

Voodoo Alchemy
05-10-2010, 02:09 AM
JJ>Manu

of course you're joking. do you know how many rookies and sophmores i would take over johnson?

soonabooma
05-10-2010, 02:10 AM
If the guy can't come through in "crunch time", then he's an overrated nobody. Joe Johnson and his Hawks might not have even made the playoffs in the West. They won 53 games in the East, but that doesn't mean they would have sniffed anything more than 47-48 in the West. We swept em like it was nobody's business, and we finished in the 8th spot with 50 wins. That dude and his team are VERY overrated. They're lazy, and as a result, they're becoming a joke around the league.

Duncan = Donkey
05-10-2010, 02:18 AM
i have always said joe johnson was insanley over rated.

and he is just proving to me everyday i am right sometimes.

ElMarroAfamado
05-10-2010, 02:20 AM
Someone might be dumb enough to pay max dollars for him, he isn't #1 option quality.

i like your sig:D

and damn im hoping the clippers dont sign this guy...hes pretty good
but damn if he gave up on the hawks that have gained respectability over the past couple years...imagine what he will do as a Clipper?

elizur
05-10-2010, 02:43 AM
There is not way Donnie Walsh is going to overpay for someone he does not think deserves to get paid max. He is way to smart for that.

kArSoN RyDaH
05-10-2010, 02:45 AM
hes not going to lose money. hell get a max contract somewhere.

DodgerBulls
05-10-2010, 02:45 AM
from the business standpoint, saying "Yes" to that question could have been his dumbest comment. If he agreed rather than saying "No," his value would obviously dropped. His comment this time is way different from the previous one where he agreed to take less if LBJ would go to NYK with him.

Voodoo Alchemy
05-10-2010, 03:12 AM
i have always said joe johnson was insanley over rated.

and he is just proving to me everyday i am right sometimes.

we was never overrated when he played with the suns in 04/05. his ego got big when sarver didn't pick up his option and then tried to sign him for less the following year. jj was also pissed cause after he got hurt, he felt they rushed him back too soon.

jj wanted to be "the man" just like marion and guess what? if they kept their mouth's shut, they could've still been playing with nash. i just hope amare realizes who feeds him the ball in that pick/roll when he contemplates his future over the summer.

ldc62
05-10-2010, 03:13 AM
i dont think the knicks will,if it was still under thomas i'd say yes..but with 11 looming and melo's comments about ny ,i can see them suck another year for a shot at him if they strike out this summer.

he may not think it,but he's going to learn a hard reality come summer

Wow and Knicks fans are going to buy the "get Melo 2011 BS"? Suck next year too? But if they don't get Melo then they just wasted another year. But its all good for me, cuz if they suck next year, my Rockets get their draft pick (swap). And if they don't get Melo in 2011 then we get that lottery pick too.

Voodoo Alchemy
05-10-2010, 03:15 AM
Wow and Knicks fans are going to buy the "get Melo 2011 BS"? Suck next year too? But if they don't get Melo then they just wasted another year. But its all good for me, cuz if they suck next year, my Rockets get their draft pick (swap). And if they don't get Melo in 2011 then we get that lottery pick too.

man, seems like you have your entire life figured out.

abe_froman
05-10-2010, 03:35 AM

never said they'd get him,did i? just that i can see them waiting to try for it instead of giving jj max this year

knickfan4life
05-10-2010, 03:58 AM
with this economy, who is going to over pay him? NY may be

we have to overpay him, we need him, we have no0one on our team and we have nothing to offer but the city of ny and one or 2 extra endorsement deal. we would probably end up giving him about $15 mil a year to leave us just enough money to sign a max, and then we suck lebron to sign with us