PDA

View Full Version : Is Rajon Rondo more valuable than the BIG 3?

gerber
05-09-2010, 08:00 PM
Is Rajon Rondo more valuable to the Celtics success then either of the BIG 3 players (pierce, allen, KG)? I think so, IMO it has a lot to do with the big 3's age and that i think is leading to sluggish play from pierce and KG. kind of find it funny, a while back there were rumors that the Celtics wanted to trade away rondo.

GoatMilk
05-09-2010, 08:02 PM
no doubt

ko8e24
05-09-2010, 08:03 PM
Yes he is. He is basically Boston's new franchise player since their old franchise player (Paul Pierce) decided to go into a coma in these playoffs.

streetballa
05-09-2010, 08:03 PM
Pierce, KG, and Ray Allen are becoming role players now...Rondo is obviously their best player

defender4m
05-09-2010, 08:09 PM
yep, rondo has shown how valuble he can be. He can cut to the basket, make the difficult pass and play defense. How about the behind the back pass today, that was an awesome play.

69centers
05-09-2010, 08:16 PM
The Celtics team hasn't done as well when Rondo missed games, as when one of the other big 3 were out. That just shows you he is the most important player on the team. They have more trouble replacing him than anyone else.

RipVW
05-09-2010, 08:25 PM
I agree that Rondo might be more important than the Big 3 combined.

But what I find kind of interesting is that Pierce has played like garbage this series and theyre still very much in it. What happens if Paul Pierce goes off for 36? You kind of wonder if Rondo's importance will be a little displaced in terms of how people percieve who is most important.

I guess, along those lines, its also kind of interesting to think the Celtics are one big game from Paul Pierce or Ray Allen away from wrestling the series away from the Cavs.

JiffyMix88
05-09-2010, 08:28 PM
ask this two years ago when they won the championship then no but as of today yes

CAVS21
05-09-2010, 08:32 PM
He was UNBELIEVEABLE today....I wish the Cavs would have played 48 minutes today instead of just thinking they could turn it on whenever they wanted, you can't do that if you want to win an NBA title. Today's game made me sick. Gotta give Rajon his props though he was killer.

madiaz3
05-09-2010, 08:34 PM
Right now? Absolutely.

magichatnumber9
05-09-2010, 08:39 PM
Here is Rajon Rondo a point guard from Kentucky playing a hard nose New York style basketball. I love it man.

BlazingInferno
05-09-2010, 08:41 PM
No doubt.

avrpatsfan
05-09-2010, 08:44 PM
Of course. I need to think of a name like Sanchise for Rondo because without him we would be awful.

Tragedy
05-09-2010, 08:52 PM
He's a superstar in the making. This time last year everyone was criticizing the Celtics fans for saying such a thing. Glad everyone's jumped on.

LA_Raiders
05-09-2010, 08:54 PM
Rondo/Perkings are the future... If Pierce wakes up, they can beat Clev, no question...

ldc62
05-09-2010, 09:00 PM
Of course...

JNA17
05-09-2010, 09:02 PM
right now, no ****.

Truheatfan
05-09-2010, 09:03 PM
YES! rondo is the man and will continue to get better. once he perfects his outside shooting (which has improved) he will be unguardable, if hes not already.

SAM I AM
05-09-2010, 09:25 PM
right now so far hes the top 3rd PG in the league!

Baldyy
05-09-2010, 09:27 PM
If he can just get his jump shot down the sky's the limit for this kid. For some reason it always pisses me off when his defender is playing him from the free throw line, he's a guard he should be able to knock down that 3 down.

madiaz3
05-09-2010, 09:28 PM
Just imagine if he had been playing like this the year the C's had won the chip...72-10 would have been broken no doubt.

HouRealCoach
05-09-2010, 09:30 PM
Rondo just looks that good because of the Big 3 and the talent around him... He's no top notch PG tho

HouRealCoach
05-09-2010, 09:31 PM

:facepalm:

hgtiger32
05-09-2010, 09:40 PM
i get bill simmons tweets and this is what he had to say bout Rondo: "Thank God Rondo signed that 55 mill extension 6 mnths ago- someone would've given him max money this summer without question."

BS hit that right on the head. rondo woulda definetly been wined and dined by New York...

SAM I AM
05-09-2010, 09:40 PM
Rondo just looks that good because of the Big 3 and the talent around him... He's no top notch PG tho

does anyone agree with this guy? it looks like your the only nay sayer here! :pity:

madiaz3
05-09-2010, 09:44 PM

I don't know if you've seen how big the big three have been playing lately...Rondo's looking like the tallest one by far.

SAM I AM
05-09-2010, 09:45 PM

ok sir then whos your top five PG's? lets here it HouRealCoach!

heres mine

1. Steve Nash ( hes getting up there in age but i still see him have 2 more great season as a top 5 or top ten PG)
2. Deron Williams
3. CP3 ( was Injured most of this season but i see him returning to Superstar form next year)
4. Rajon Rondo (this was his Break out year and surpries alot of people this year)
5. Derek Rose (will have a Break out Season next year with or with out Dwade or a Big Free Agent)

Super.
05-09-2010, 09:46 PM

Wrong

Because statistically speaking the Celtics have done worse with him out of the lineup then one of the big three.

He's the best defensive PG in the game, Lead the league in steals. Can have his way with almost any PG offensively and is finally picking up a jumpshot. His drive to the lane is one of the best in the league as well.

If you don't think he is, then you've been living under a rock this season and postseason

blastmasta26
05-09-2010, 09:50 PM
The Big 3 is an outdated term now. Either call it the Big 4 or Rondo and the other 3 :) because Rondo is by far the Celtics best player.

gerber
05-09-2010, 09:55 PM

:facepalm::facepalm:

Bluffmasta
05-09-2010, 10:01 PM
Rondo could be the best pg in the league if he can start making those ft and improve his outside game, Anthony Parker had no respect for his outside shot in game 4

RadiantShot
05-09-2010, 10:05 PM
Rondo, to me, has replaced all of them, as the Most Valuable Player on that team. With that being said, I would exchange any of the Old 'Big 3' for Rondo, right now.

Rondo, Allen, Pierce
Rondo, Allen, KG
Rondo, Pierce, KG

thekmp211
05-09-2010, 10:22 PM

dude, no. this can't happen anymore.

he is EASILY the best player on the team.

how is the big 3 helping get him his stats? he gets them layups. is big baby davis a member of the big 3? tony allen?

did rondo stand on KG's shoulders to get those 17 rebounds?

he is an elite passer, ballhandler, rebounder and defender. his shot is still improving and he dominates despite being 6 1 and not having a jumper.

right now, if i were starting a franchise i'd take paul and williams over him and that's it. sorry derrick rose, you're great but not a pure point guard.

if you cannot evaluate that he is the most talented player on the team then you don't know much about the game. he has been the best player in the series thus far. tired of the disrespect he sees. i take it you are a rose guy?

cav_till_i_die
05-09-2010, 10:24 PM
yes

BlazingInferno
05-09-2010, 10:27 PM
If you even consider them a big 3 anymore. KG and PP aren't even CLOSE to being the same players who won a title. Rondo is the only guy on that team who is top 5 at their position.

CP3-Kobe-LeBron-Bosh
Deron-Wade-KD-Duncan
Nash-Roy-Melo-Dirk
Rondo-Johnson-Granger-Amare
Rose-Ginobili-Gay-Boozer-Pau

BlazingInferno
05-09-2010, 10:28 PM
^Sorry if that's hard to follow

Bluffmasta
05-09-2010, 10:46 PM
i think the list is from top to bottom and not from left to right, so i think he is saying
CP3is the best pg followed by Deron and etc

SAM I AM
05-09-2010, 11:06 PM
i think the list is from top to bottom and not from left to right, so i think he is saying
CP3is the best pg followed by Deron and etc
next years top five
1. CP3 2. Williams 3. Rondo 4. Rose 5. Jennings

man gotta love the young future PG'S

what54!?
05-09-2010, 11:11 PM
He's the new jason kidd. Yes he's their best player now.

Raph12
05-09-2010, 11:13 PM
Definitely, he has been a beast and has really impressed me, like I said before, if he had a decent 3pt shot/jumper, he'd be battling D-Will for the #2 PG in the league title.

GspLAL
05-09-2010, 11:17 PM
I don't think both Rondo and Pierce can have a dominating game at the same time. If Pierce goes off they'll keep giving him the ball instead of Rondo running the offense.

HouRealCoach
05-09-2010, 11:20 PM
ok sir then whos your top five PG's? lets here it HouRealCoach!

heres mine

1. Steve Nash ( hes getting up there in age but i still see him have 2 more great season as a top 5 or top ten PG)
2. Deron Williams
3. CP3 ( was Injured most of this season but i see him returning to Superstar form next year)
4. Rajon Rondo (this was his Break out year and surpries alot of people this year)
5. Derek Rose (will have a Break out Season next year with or with out Dwade or a Big Free Agent)

Steve Nash, Derrick Rose(Could have been alot better if it wasnt for that injury earlier this season), CP3, Deron Williams, Chauncey Billups... They all made other players better, along with the team and didnt need 3 HOF's on their team to do it.

& Dont get me wrong he was the best player for the Celt's this season and that maybe a big reason that they were only 50-32 which they had a huge drop from the last two season's.

& you can give almost any other PG in the league Pierce and Allen on the wings, Perkins and Garnett in the middle, Wallace, Davis, Allen, Finley, Robinson coming off the bench. Not to mention people are giving you 7-10 feet of wide open space to shoot they would probably be doing alot also, and shooting a better FT percentage

HouRealCoach
05-09-2010, 11:21 PM
next years top five
1. CP3 2. Williams 3. Rondo 4. Rose 5. Jennings

man gotta love the young future PG'S

Tyreke Evans?

SAM I AM
05-09-2010, 11:27 PM
Tyreke Evans?

hes a shooting guard Genius:facepalm:
http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/teams/sac/depthchart

Raph12
05-09-2010, 11:36 PM
Rondo, to me, has replaced all of them, as the Most Valuable Player on that team. With that being said, I would exchange any of the Old 'Big 3' for Rondo, right now.

Rondo, Allen, Pierce
Rondo, Allen, KG
Rondo, Pierce, KG

It has been Rondo-Allen-KG in this series, PP has yet to make an appearance, which should be kind of scary for Cavs fans.

RocketsRule
05-09-2010, 11:39 PM
Like the consensus is for most here, he's become the most valuable player on the team. He fuels this offense, and affects the game in many different ways besides scoring.

Ovratd1up
05-09-2010, 11:42 PM
1. Deron Williams
2. Chris Paul
3. Steve Nash
4. Derrick Rose
5. Rajon Rondo
6. Chauncey Billups
7. Tony Parker
8. Russel Westbrook
9. Jason Kidd
10. Stephen Curry
11. Aaron Brooks
12. Giblert Arenas
13. Andre Miller
14. Devin Harris
15. Baron Davis

J$mo0th_3o5
05-09-2010, 11:45 PM
Rondo>Rose

Yeah I said it and yeah I did just turn this into a Rondo, Rose thread:p

Raph12
05-09-2010, 11:50 PM
1. Chris Paul
2. Deron Williams
3. Rajon Rondo
4. Steve Nash
5. Derrick Rose
6. Jason Kidd
7. Chauncey Billups
8. Tony Parker
9. Jameer Nelson
10. Devin Harris

SAM I AM
05-09-2010, 11:51 PM
Rondo>Rose

Yeah I said it and yeah I did just turn this into a Rondo, Rose thread:p

i dont think that way what i think is they will be a top 3 and 4 PG's in the Top 5! i just Hope Nelson Becomes a Great top5 PG :sigh:

Ovratd1up
05-09-2010, 11:53 PM
He's playing great. But I am REALLY skeptical as to how great he would be on the Bulls' squad.

hugepatsfan
05-09-2010, 11:55 PM
KG and Pierce are both done as great players. Both are average. Ray is great at what he does, but he needs Rondo at this point, not the other way around. Rondo is far and away the best player on the team.

SAM I AM
05-09-2010, 11:58 PM
KG and Pierce are both done as great players. Both are average. Ray is great at what he does, but he needs Rondo at this point, not the other way around. Rondo is far and away the best player on the team.

your crazy if you think Pierce is done :crazy:

hugepatsfan
05-10-2010, 12:00 AM
your crazy if you think Pierce is done :crazy:

As an elite scorer he most certainly is. A lot of guys that have long and great careers start out relying on their athleticism to make them great as young guys. Then their improved understanding of the game keeps them elite into their early-mid 30s. Pierce never started w/ great athleticism, so he is not going to be great for a long time. He is on the downside.

MacFitz92
05-10-2010, 12:06 AM
Rondo is the best player right now on the Celtics.

But can you honestly say Rondo missing a game would be more devastating than Allen, KG, and Pierce missing a game? No you can't, unless you want to be wrong.

Mishmin
05-10-2010, 12:06 AM
has anyone 6'1 ever gotten 18 boards in a playoff game before? Someone check that stat. Rondo's a chocolate sundae.

MacFitz92
05-10-2010, 12:07 AM

:facepalm: wow.

Toenail Clipper
05-10-2010, 12:08 AM
He's the only one playing good basketball out of all of them!

hugepatsfan
05-10-2010, 12:11 AM
Rondo is the best player right now on the Celtics.

But can you honestly say Rondo missing a game would be more devastating than Allen, KG, and Pierce missing a game? No you can't, unless you want to be wrong.

Get over the name value of the Big 3. Rondo is better.

MacFitz92
05-10-2010, 12:17 AM
Get over the name value of the Big 3. Rondo is better.

Get over yourself. Rondo isn't singlehandedly more important than KG, Pierce, and Allen. For all we know Pierce could drop 30, or Ray could have a game winner. Just because Rondo has been playing out of his mind in the playoffs doesn't all of a sudden make him more important than KG, Pierce, and Allen all combined.

hugepatsfan
05-10-2010, 12:20 AM
Get over yourself. Rondo isn't singlehandedly more important than KG, Pierce, and Allen. For all we know Pierce could drop 30, or Ray could have a game winner. Just because Rondo has been playing out of his mind in the playoffs doesn't all of a sudden make him more important than KG, Pierce, and Allen all combined.

No ****! Who said he was better than them combined? He is a better individual player than any of the Big 3 - they are old!

MacFitz92
05-10-2010, 12:23 AM
No ****! Who said he was better than them combined? He is a better individual player than any of the Big 3 - they are old!

Check my first post :facepalm:

I specifically said he was the best player, but not more important than all of them.

hugepatsfan
05-10-2010, 12:26 AM
Check my first post :facepalm:

I specifically said he was the best player, but not more important than all of them.

Oh... That was a little out of context though. I assumed you meant Pierce, KG, or Ray instead of all 3. That is obviously correct though. Anyone who argues Rondo is more important than all 3 is delusional.

Miltown34
05-10-2010, 12:29 AM
yea he makes the engine go..and he's one of the few athletic players left on that team lol...Meaning Ray and KG aren't as quick..but my boy ray is still skoolin these young cats

PrettyBoyJ
05-10-2010, 12:46 AM
Yeah.. He basicly runs tht team plays 45-48 min a game.. he's always on the floor.. makin plays settin guys up.. without him I think the celtics dont have the chemistry theybhave

Mr.SmackYoMama
05-10-2010, 01:28 AM
He's a top 3 PG anyone who disagrees is a complete hater Im not even a Celtics fan he's just that damn good!!!!!

SAM I AM
05-10-2010, 01:34 AM

He's a top 3 PG anyone who disagrees is a complete hater Im not even a Celtics fan he's just that damn good!!!!!

altest some one agrees with me :clap:

thekmp211
05-10-2010, 01:38 AM
altest some one agrees with me :clap:

it's unreal if rose or any of the other guys that get mentioned put up a game like this the effing crowning ceremony would commence. not to bash on derrick i love him, definitely a top talent but his name comes up a lot as a comparison. but guys like billups, parker, harris, kidd....he's long past them. can't wait til he develops a jump shot.

ElMarroAfamado
05-10-2010, 02:23 AM
rondoooooo

i used to be a rondo hater
but damn what he is doing in this series is making me a fan

championships
05-10-2010, 02:29 AM
of course he is. He is young with upside and room to grow. The other three are old and on the down side of their careers

thekmp211
05-10-2010, 03:05 AM
of course he is. He is young with upside and room to grow. The other three are old and on the down side of their careers

right but if you were to ask people at the beginning of the season which one of those guys would be the best player now? they would have all gone ahead of him in most peoples eyes. i don't think anyone would want to make that argument now.

ChiSox219
05-10-2010, 04:10 AM
Wrong

Because statistically speaking the Celtics have done worse with him out of the lineup then one of the big three.

He's the best defensive PG in the game, Lead the league in steals. Can have his way with almost any PG offensively and is finally picking up a jumpshot. His drive to the lane is one of the best in the league as well.

If you don't think he is, then you've been living under a rock this season and postseason

I like Rondo, but statistically speaking, the Celtics were worse with him than without him when adjusted for teammates and opponents. Not only this year, but if you go for a two year sample size, he's still behind the big 3.

Wow. KG is still one of the better defenders in the league, not what he used to be but he covers up Rondo's defensive mistakes. Pierce has been lethal from three point range and has a well rounded game that will allow him a couple more solid years in the league. Ray Allen added to that opens the court and because KG can hit the 18 footer and PP can score from anywhere, this spreads the defense and helps hide Rondo's inability to shoot.

If he doesn't have KG and Perkins to box out, he doesn't get so many rebounds. If he's not passing to two excellent shooters headed to the HOF, he doesn't get as many assists.

Basically, if he's playing in Chicago or Sacramento, I don't think his numbers look better than Reke or Rose.

DitchDat
05-10-2010, 05:22 AM
The Big 3 are now Rondo's supporting cast.