PDA

View Full Version : I can't be the only one...

Tragedy
05-09-2010, 06:14 PM
I can't even sit through an entire basketball game, because when I do, I see the horrible officiating..Minute after minute, after minute. It's just a collection of screwjobs. Yes, I'm a Boston fan, and I'm not just saying this against the Celtics. This goes for pretty much every team. Whoever they want to win, it seems like, they're going to win. I've seen so many instances in these Playoffs where players have gotten no calls or fouls, and it seems like they base it on who you are or what team you're on. Just completely awful.

And yes, LeBron is the worst of them all. I just watched him goaltend it, and they call it offensive on the Celtics. Really a shame that some of the top players in the league have to get the calls the way they do.

carter15
05-09-2010, 06:17 PM
Nah.

NetsPaint
05-09-2010, 06:17 PM
It's also a shame that great players can't even prove how great they are because of this. Nobody wins.

ManRam
05-09-2010, 06:23 PM
I expected better from you Tragedy. If you could take your Celtic glasses off, you'd realize that it was an evenly officiated game. The bad calls went both ways, and many of those bad calls (like Perk pushing LBJ in the back, that JVG even said was a bad call) weren't actually bad calls.

Ref-whining sucks.

LBJ and Wade and Kobe in his prime, etc...get to the line because A) they have the ball so much and B) they are the best at attacking the rim. Aggression rewards. Period.

I'd like to think I am very objective with these two teams. I do like LBJ a lot, but Pierce has always been one of, if not my favorite player in the league, even as a Magic fan. I respect the hell out of KG and Rondo. But this game was not poorly officiated...because it was consistent.

RadiantShot
05-09-2010, 06:24 PM
Nope. Definitely disagree. We've had enough ref-whining threads. Time for the Mods to start placing a penalization on these types of threads.

td0tsfinest
05-09-2010, 06:25 PM
Officiating was bad today but I don't think it was heavily favoured to one side.

abe_froman
05-09-2010, 06:26 PM
yes,i agree and want something done about it

Reyes6
05-09-2010, 06:27 PM
I don't know, it seems like there is bad officiating on both sides... but being as my favorite team isn't in the playoffs I think I would have the least biased view. I feel like the Lakers and Cavs have been getting a few more questionable calls then most teams, but it could be just me being more critical of them because they ARE the Lakers and Cavs.

I feel like players like Varejoa (sp?), Artest, and Glen Davis have been getting away with a lot of no-calls. Perhaps because it's the playoffs, or because it's just the way they play... but it seems like they get out of control sometimes and rarely get called for it.

Tragedy
05-09-2010, 06:28 PM
I expected better from you Tragedy. If you could take your Celtic glasses off, you'd realize that it was an evenly officiated game. The bad calls went both ways, and many of those bad calls (like Perk pushing LBJ in the back, that JVG even said was a bad call) weren't actually bad calls.

Ref-whining sucks.

LBJ and Wade and Kobe in his prime, etc...get to the line because A) they have the ball so much and B) they are the best at attacking the rim. Aggression rewards. Period.

I'd like to think I am very objective with these two teams. I do like LBJ a lot, but Pierce has always been one of, if not my favorite player in the league, even as a Magic fan. I respect the hell out of KG and Rondo. But this game was not poorly officiated...because it was consistent.
You missed the part where I said..

Yes, I'm a Boston fan, and I'm not just saying this against the Celtics. This goes for pretty much every team. Whoever they want to win, it seems like, they're going to win.

That's my point. I'm not specifically talking just about LeBron (seriously though, one of the biggest whiners I've seen in my entire time watching the NBA), I'm not even just talking about the Cavaliers. It's EVERY team, virtually. The referees have these things decided. This Tim Donaghy is not even close to the problem. There is so many others.

Nope. Definitely disagree. We've had enough ref-whining threads. Time for the Mods to start placing a penalization on these types of threads.
I'm not much of an NBA poster, and I see no threads on the first page about refs.

RadiantShot
05-09-2010, 06:30 PM
Well, you're not the first one. They usually get closed. There haven't been many lately, but there are new ref-whining threads every week.

ManRam
05-09-2010, 06:31 PM
You missed the part where I said..

That's my point. I'm not specifically talking just about LeBron (seriously though, one of the biggest whiners I've seen in my entire time watching the NBA), I'm not even just talking about the Cavaliers. It's EVERY team, virtually. The referees have these things decided. This Tim Donaghy is not even close to the problem. There is so many others.

I've never said this, and I hate it, but seriously...then don't watch. If you have such a pessimistic viewpoint on the NBA, don't watch it.

If this league was fixed, LeBron would have a ring...the Celtics wouldn't be tied 2-2, the NBA wouldn't have ever let SA or Detroit get to the Finals...I can go on forever.

This who league-fixing stuff just blows my mind. Watch these games purely objectively, 95% of them are evenly officiated. They really are. People just remember the bad and forget the good.

kArSoN RyDaH
05-09-2010, 06:35 PM
that game was poorly officiated at times. that loose ball foul call on garnett. and then the foul on varejao as well towards the end.

Tragedy
05-09-2010, 06:35 PM
I've never said this, and I hate it, but seriously...then don't watch. If you have such a pessimistic viewpoint on the NBA, don't watch it.

If this league was fixed, LeBron would have a ring...the Celtics wouldn't be tied 2-2, the NBA wouldn't have ever let SA or Detroit get to the Finals...I can go on forever.

This who league-fixing stuff just blows my mind. Watch these games purely objectively, 95% of them are evenly officiated. They really are. People just remember the bad and forget the good.
I've mostly stopped. When I watched the NBA back in the 90's and even for the most part, earlier this decade, I got to see physical play, more good calls than not, and fun games. Now? Everything's a foul, and it's hilarious. This is why I've begun jumping on the hockey bandwagon.

ManRam
05-09-2010, 06:37 PM
I've mostly stopped. When I watched the NBA back in the 90's and even for the most part, earlier this decade, I got to see physical play, more good calls than not, and fun games. Now? Everything's a foul, and it's hilarious. This is why I've begun jumping on the hockey bandwagon.

I totally agree with this, to a small extent.. The league has cracked down on fouls, and do call a ton more. You know why, because players whine all the time, fans whine all the time, coaches whine all the time, GMs whine all the time, owners whine all the time...and the league is chock-full of sissy and primma donnas who expect everything to be handed to them. Just look at this forum. 1/3 of every thread/post is ref-whining. It's terrible. If the refs actually let teams play, the world would explode.

(Hockey is a more fun sport to watch...for sure)

dougie5627
05-09-2010, 06:39 PM
what you expect when the nba became entertainment instead of a sport

cav_till_i_die
05-09-2010, 06:39 PM
You just see it more magnified because every time a ref blows his whistle Boston fans boo whatever the call against them is chanting bull****, there are some bad calls though, but the bad calls are mostly being called both ways. traveling is never called anymore these days.

Tragedy
05-09-2010, 06:40 PM
I totally agree with this, to a small extent.. The league has cracked down on fouls, and do call a ton more. You know why, because players whine all the time, fans whine all the time, coaches whine all the time, GMs whine all the time, owners whine all the time...and the league is chock-full of sissy and primma donnas who expect everything to be handed to them. Just look at this forum. 1/3 of every thread/post is ref-whining. It's terrible. If the refs actually let teams play, the world would explode.

(Hockey is a more fun sport to watch...for sure)
This is my problem! It's the whole 'I'm whining, give me the call!' and it's like the refs just give in when the player throws his hands up. It's unbelievable, and totally an embarrassment to guys in the 90's and earlier that played their ***** off, got destroyed, and didn't get the calls.

It just blows, and it makes it far less fun to watch on a daily basis. Glad you see, somewhat, what I'm saying.

ManRam
05-09-2010, 06:44 PM
This is my problem! It's the whole 'I'm whining, give me the call!' and it's like the refs just give in when the player throws his hands up. It's unbelievable, and totally an embarrassment to guys in the 90's and earlier that played their ***** off, got destroyed, and didn't get the calls.

It just blows, and it makes it far less fun to watch on a daily basis. Glad you see, somewhat, what I'm saying.

I do. It just gets frustrating with all the biasness that runs rampant in the NBA forum. We have the luxury of instant replay, multiple angles, slow motion, and multiple views. It's hard to be a ref. I'm not defending them really, it's just the fans here drive me up the walls. They fail to see anything that goes their way, and dwell on everything that doesn't. I overreacted to your first post because of that. If you posted here more often, you'd realize how big of a problem ref-whining is here...and how often most of it is totally unwarranted. By far, more times than not, even if every call is being called, or nothing is being called, the game is officiated evenly. And in the end, that's all you can ask for.

Oh well. It's fun to argue and complain...I guess.

Dol-Fan
05-09-2010, 06:44 PM
I can't even sit through an entire basketball game, because when I do, I see the horrible officiating..Minute after minute, after minute. It's just a collection of screwjobs. Yes, I'm a Boston fan, and I'm not just saying this against the Celtics. This goes for pretty much every team. Whoever they want to win, it seems like, they're going to win. I've seen so many instances in these Playoffs where players have gotten no calls or fouls, and it seems like they base it on who you are or what team you're on. Just completely awful.

And yes, LeBron is the worst of them all. I just watched him goaltend it, and they call it offensive on the Celtics. Really a shame that some of the top players in the league have to get the calls the way they do.

Just feel lucky that your team is near the top of their list right now. The C's get some ridiculous calls during the season, KG's moving screens are brutal for example. It's still in the NBA's interest to have the Celtics win...sadly for you, LBJ is of higher importance right now. Some teams get it so badly though, if you don't have a marketable superstar or play in a big basketball market, your team will probably be screwed by the refs.

slack_justin
05-09-2010, 06:49 PM
it all started with jordan. After the pistons smashed on him for a few years they started giving him every call. now all the top athletic stars get those same calls. kobe and lebron can pretty much do what they want esp. traveling. it is what it is i guess. screw david stern

E.O.21
05-09-2010, 06:52 PM
Why do people keep blaming D. Stern? I dont get it

IndiansFan337
05-09-2010, 06:54 PM
I hate it when people complain about officiating.

The games are not one sided.

The NBA is the hardest sport to officiate because of the speed, pace, and athleticism of the players on the court. It is not an easy job. They do make some mistakes. As do refs in every sport. But it evens out for both teams.

IndiansFan337
05-09-2010, 06:55 PM
it all started with jordan. After the pistons smashed on him for a few years they started giving him every call. now all the top athletic stars get those same calls. kobe and lebron can pretty much do what they want esp. traveling. it is what it is i guess. screw david stern
Both teams get away with traveling all of the time in games. It doesn't make the contests one-sided at all.

still1ballin
05-09-2010, 07:00 PM
I am surprised that a Mod made this thread and not a poster with 2 posts.

Costra_Nostra
05-09-2010, 07:02 PM
Perkins gets some of the worst calls I have ever seen. Whats with all these ridiculous calls on centers? Dwight. Perk, Noah?

RipVW
05-09-2010, 07:03 PM

This is completely wrong. When the Pistons started pounding Jordan, they forced the league to make a choice. The referees could call fouls the same way and stop the game every 8 seconds...or they could call the same number of fouls but only call the worst ones and try to maintain the flow of the game. They chose the latter, and, in effect, they allowed the Pistons to redefine what a foul was. And the Pistons won two titles essentially because of this. So, if anything, they started letting more go because Jordan was too unstoppable.

You often see Pistons and Knicks fans boohooing about the calls Jordan got but, in reality, he should have got more calls...if anything. Again, this whole style of play that people saw in the 90s was a reaction to Jordan scoring 59 on the Pistons in the 80s. It netted the Pistons two titles and it took the league a couple of years to adjust. Had the league not tolerated the Pistons style of play, the Bulls title run might have begun two years earlier.

But did Jordan complain about being annihiliated by 4 Pistons every time he went in the lane? No. He knew it was coming and never backed down. He adapted to it and it still didnt stop him.

But yeah, its kind of amazing that a Pistons fan would complain about Jordan getting calls when the league allowed them to re-define how fouls were called and this was the only reason they won two titles.

If there's anyone who should be complaining about how the game was called, it's Jordan.

ManRam
05-09-2010, 07:05 PM
This is completely wrong. When the Pistons started pounding Jordan, they forced the league to make a choice. The referees could call fouls the same way and stop the game every 8 seconds...or they could call the same number of fouls but only call the worst ones and try to maintain the flow of the game. They chose the latter, and, in effect, they allowed the Pistons to redefine what a foul was. And the Pistons won two titles essentially because of this. So, if anything, they started letting more go because Jordan was too hard so unstoppable.

You often see Pistons and Knicks fans boohooing about the calls Jordan got but in reality he should have got more calls...if anything. Again, this whole style of play that people saw in the 90s was a reaction to Jordan scoring 59 on the Pistons in the 80s. It netted the Pistons two titles and it took the league a couple of years to adjust. Had the league not tolerated the Pistons style of play, the Bulls title run might have began two years earlier.

But did Jordan complain about being annihiliated by 4 Pistons every time he went in the lane? No. He knew it was coming and never backed down. He adapted to it and it still didnt stop him.

But yeah, its kind of amazing that a Pistons fan would complain about Jordan getting calls when the league allowed them to re-define how fouls were called and this was the only reason they won two titles.

If there's anyone who should be complaining about how the game was called, it's Jordan.

As homerific as this sounds, coming from a Bulls fan and all...I totally agree. Very, very, very well said.

Korman12
05-09-2010, 07:05 PM
Eh, I'll take the good with the bad. The game isn't perfect, but that's not gonna stop me from watching.

Tragedy
05-09-2010, 07:14 PM
I hate it when people complain about officiating.

The games are not one sided.

The NBA is the hardest sport to officiate because of the speed, pace, and athleticism of the players on the court. It is not an easy job. They do make some mistakes. As do refs in every sport. But it evens out for both teams.
Well, for starters, your a fan of a team that has one of the biggest whiners in the entire league. A guy that gets virtually every call, and it's astounding. That's not even just against the Celtics; That's any time the guy plays, he gets the call.

Second, there are many instances where things don't 'even out' because the refs suck on both sides. There are plenty of teams, as someone else has mentioned, that do not have a superstar, so they do not get the call.

And yes, I do know that the Celtics, such as Paul Pierce get extra calls because of who he is. And then there is guys like Rasheed Wallace who sees more fouls because he's got a reputation. And that's the problem. Refs go by reputation - LeBron is good, Lebron complains, LeBron gets what he wants. Rasheed does something, it doesn't matter how big or small, and the call goes against Rasheed (this isn't meant to defend Rasheed, I can't stand him).

Perkins gets some of the worst calls I have ever seen. Whats with all these ridiculous calls on centers? Dwight. Perk, Noah?
I've noticed the same thing. Very strange.

I'm more shocked than anything that people really do defend the NBA and the way it's officiated. That's amazing to me. I rarely come across people on the streets that think the NBA is 'fair' in any way, shape, or form.

Caps1989
05-09-2010, 07:19 PM
What do you expect, its a buisness. They dont give two ***** about your opinion.

basketfan4life
05-09-2010, 08:14 PM
kobe and lebron can pretty much ...
this is completely wrong...just watch lakers games,kobe has to get hammered to get a call,nearly every game. at least you can watch lakers' last game.

kobe now is the least favored superstar in this league.

Bruno
05-09-2010, 08:24 PM
Just because a games officiating is consistently bad, doesn't make it good. It might be even, but that doesn't make it good officiating.

whitesoxfan83
05-09-2010, 08:24 PM
One day people are going to know the truth- the NBA's playoff's results post Jordan was totally influenced by the league office for financial gain.

dukejazz
05-09-2010, 08:50 PM
ya your team just needs to work on getting a player that gets the star treatment like kobe or lebrawn or wade. But who cares because you know that some starts will be mad that they didnt get the star treatment because only 1 team can win championship. I'm just glad that no matter how much star treatment you get there can only be one team to win championship where star treatment wont help.

Tragedy
05-09-2010, 08:51 PM
this is completely wrong...just watch lakers games,kobe has to get hammered to get a call,nearly every game. at least you can watch lakers' last game.

kobe now is the least favored superstar in this league.
I will agree that despite all the favoritism in the league on big players like Pierce and LeBron, Kobe gets hammered to get a call.

tr4shb0t
05-09-2010, 09:00 PM
Well you could certainly complain about the officiating in game 3. Any game where the refs call 8 fouls on one team in the first quarter you know what the outcome will be. That just makes it impossible for one team to play defense when all their guys are in foul trouble. I've seen it tons of times before and the team called for tons of fouls in the first quarter has never won. And that is what happened to Boston in game 3.

However, I'm not so sure Boston won game 2 legit on the road. I honestly didn't see it, but when any team wins both games 1 and 2 do you know how many viewers drop off for the rest of the games. The NBA makes way more money and ratings are better when the first 2 games are split. And this would be a jackpot of a series to send to 7 games. I can't say much because I really haven't been following this series much, but it wouldn't be the first time they officiated a series almost purely for entertainment value.

But yea, the officiating in the NBA is pretty much rock bottom. Completely compromised.

JiffyMix88
05-09-2010, 09:16 PM
what you expect when the nba became entertainment instead of a sport

lol true

chonbon
05-09-2010, 11:13 PM
a while back this was brought up on espn... i remember they asked a bunch of players why they thought traveling wasn't called as much anymore. Alot of the players said that because they are such freakish athletes they have to watch to rest of the game instead of watching for the travels... my point behind this is that enforced calling of traveling would really improve the way the game is played, it would make the game much more exciting, and bring back the game the way it used to be played... Leave the physical play though, thats fun lol

dukejazz
05-10-2010, 01:28 AM
Ya too many stars get to do a hop skip and a jump.