PDA

View Full Version : Joe Johnson on unhappy fans: "We could care less if they show up"

JordansBulls
05-09-2010, 01:22 AM
Link (http://www.ajc.com/sports/atlanta-hawks/johnson-on-unhappy-fans-522943.html)

f Joe Johnson’s tenure with the Hawks really is near the end, the final chapter could get ugly.

Fans directed some of their boos at Johnson in particular during the Hawks’ 105-75 loss to the Magic on Saturday. He struggled to finish with eight points on 3-of-15 shooting and afterward expressed indifference to fans’ displeasure.

“That doesn’t bother me, and I hope it doesn’t bother anyone in this locker room,” Johnson said. “It’s about us in this locker room. We could care less if [fans] showed up.”

Johnson, the Hawks’ leading scorer and a four-time All-Star, can become a free agent this summer. He has faded during the playoffs, especially in the past six games.

Over that stretch, which includes three games against Milwaukee, Johnson made 30 of 96 shots and averaged 11.5 points. The Hawks lost four of those six games.

Johnson missed his first five shots Saturday and didn’t score until 6:30 before halftime.

“It’s terrible to have a performance like that, especially individuals, [including] myself,” Johnson said. “These guys look to me for guidance, and when you are playing like that, it is almost impossible for us to win. I take a lot of heat for this, a lot of criticism.”

Johnson said he had no explanation for his struggles in the playoffs. He said he feels fine physically.

Hawks ownership has said it wants to re-sign Johnson, though co-owner Michael Gearon Jr. has said the team would “react” once Johnson tests the market. The team’s and Johnson’s performance in the playoffs both figure to factor heavily into those evaluations.

Johnson said he’s not sure what this postseason will mean for his future.

“I have no idea,” he said. “When July comes, we will figure that out.”

heathonater
05-09-2010, 01:24 AM
not a good idea to call out your fans like that. this will only add to the speculation that johnson wont be a hawk next season.

ko8e24
05-09-2010, 01:26 AM
This for sure validates the fact that he's leaving. And what an ARSEHOLE, the fans invest so much emotional crap into the game of basketball, and if it wasn't for the money they pay for those seats and watching on tv and ratings and all that stuff, how the **** would the owner give this prick his payday.

Joe Johnson = OVERRATED

Who the **** is gonna sign this clown. He'll jsut bag on the fans of his new team anyways. ARSEHOLE! :mad:

ldc62
05-09-2010, 01:29 AM
That was not a smart move... shoulda just said "I understand their frustrations" or something like that. Not a max contract guy before... not one now.

JNA17
05-09-2010, 01:29 AM
Who the **** is gonna sign this clown. He'll jsut bag on the fans of his new team anyways. ARSEHOLE! :mad:

The knicks of course. At this point, i don't think they give a **** about bringing in doucebag players, see marbury, randolph, nate Robinson, etc.

ko8e24
05-09-2010, 01:36 AM
oh yea, let's look at this clown's shooting performances in his last 6 games of the playoffs

1st rd vs Bucks

Game 5: 6-16 FG, 0-3 3pt, 1-1 FT, 13 pts
Game 6: 8-24 FG, 2-5 3pt, 4-4 FT, 22 pts
Game 7: 4-14 FT, 0-2 3pt, 0-0 FT, 8 pts

2nd rd vs Magic

Game 1: 4-11 FG, 0-4 3pt, 2-4 FT, 10 pts
Game 2: 5-16 FG, 2-4 3pt, 7-7 FT, 19 pts
Game 3: 3-15 FG, 0-3 3pt, 2-3 FT, 8 pts

In 6 Gms: 30/96 FG (31.3%), 4/21 3pt (19.0%), 16/19 FT (84.2%), 80 pts (13.3 PPG)

So basically 13 ppg on 31% from the field and 19% from the 3-pt arch.

MAX Contract MY ARSE!

Lakersfan2483
05-09-2010, 01:37 AM
Maybe if Joe would actually step up and give the fans something to cheer about, they would show up. He's playing awful against the Magic and is clearly not a franchise player. He's a 2nd option and is not a leader.

JNA17
05-09-2010, 01:39 AM
oh yea, let's look at this clown's shooting performances in his last 6 games of the playoffs

1st rd vs Bucks

Game 5: 6-16 FG, 0-3 3pt, 1-1 FT, 13 pts
Game 6: 8-24 FG, 2-5 3pt, 4-4 FT, 22 pts
Game 7: 4-14 FT, 0-2 3pt, 0-0 FT, 8 pts

2nd rd vs Magic

Game 1: 4-11 FG, 0-4 3pt, 2-4 FT, 10 pts
Game 2: 5-16 FG, 2-4 3pt, 7-7 FT, 19 pts
Game 3: 3-15 FG, 0-3 3pt, 2-3 FT, 8 pts

In 6 Gms: 30/96 FG (31.3%), 4/21 3pt (19.0%), 16/19 FT (84.2%), 80 pts (13.3 PPG)

So basically 13 ppg on 31% from the field and 19% from the 3-pt arch.

MAX Contract MY ARSE!

like i said, knicks will sign guys like him anyway :laugh2:

GodsSon
05-09-2010, 01:39 AM
I wonder if anyone would offer him the max

abe_froman
05-09-2010, 01:40 AM
frustrated..and yeah he's gone

Iodine
05-09-2010, 01:40 AM
I mean it wasnt smart, but damn, people are acting like he smacked a baby upside the head.

abe_froman
05-09-2010, 01:41 AM
I wonder if anyone would offer him the max

no,thats pretty much assured by now i think

ko8e24
05-09-2010, 01:42 AM
I mean it wasnt smart, but damn, people are acting like he smacked a baby upside the head.

Unspoken rule of an athlete....YOU DON'T TALK **** ABOUT YOUR OWN FANS!

sargon21
05-09-2010, 01:46 AM
dude atlanta fans are garbarge, they're never there in the regular season and only show up for the playoffs... jj's right **** them!

Iodine
05-09-2010, 01:49 AM
Unspoken rule of an athlete....YOU DON'T TALK **** ABOUT YOUR OWN FANS!

Most athletes could care less about the average person. Also "talking ****" is saying something along the lines of "if your gonna boo us, why come?"
And as someone who lives in Atlanta people don't really care about the hawks at all

I mean in the long run, hell two weeks from now, nobody will care what he said after a game three loss in what is probably gonna be a sweep.

*Superman*
05-09-2010, 01:53 AM
Regardless, I feel it was the wrong thing to say. At least be encouraging and be like we will put on a better show next game, it isn't the fans fault the team is playing like crap.

soonabooma
05-09-2010, 02:02 AM
He's an overrated "TOOL".

iFYouSeekAmy
05-09-2010, 02:05 AM
He's doing the Stephen Jackson..

Broadwayjoe NY
05-09-2010, 02:09 AM
The knicks of course. At this point, i don't think they give a **** about bringing in doucebag players, see marbury, randolph, nate Robinson, etc.

Ya, they're all off the team ;)

I understand the thinking, but myself, and the majority of Knicks fans feel that he is not worthy of a Max contract, but due to his familiarity with D'Antoni and his system, I would not be surprised if he did wind up a Knick. I guess, if push comes to shove, I wouldn't mind it for ~$12 mill/year; he fits a very much needed role, but I would be extremely disappointed if we gave a 29 year old, who simply does not put a team on his back when it counts, a max contract.

But than again, we need to make the playoffs, so worse things could happen than signing JJ.

JiffyMix88
05-09-2010, 02:11 AM
Atlanta fans suck!

OA SLAY
05-09-2010, 02:18 AM
ya, they're all off the team ;)

i understand the thinking, but myself, and the majority of knicks fans feel that he is not worthy of a max contract, but due to his familiarity with d'antoni and his system, i would not be surprised if he did wind up a knick. I guess, if push comes to shove, i wouldn't mind it for ~$12 mill/year; he fits a very much needed role, but i would be extremely disappointed if we gave a 29 year old, who simply does not put a team on his back when it counts, a max contract.

But than again, we need to make the playoffs, so worse things could happen than signing jj.

wrong!!!

abe_froman
05-09-2010, 02:20 AM
And as someone who lives in Atlanta people don't really care about the hawks at all

yeah,i never understood why that was

Sadds The Gr8
05-09-2010, 02:25 AM
Only a desperate team would offer this guy a max. I always thought he never deserved to be mentioned as one of the top players like many analysts think he is. "Quiet Superstar" my ***....this guy can't even get 20 ppg a night in the playoffs, and people wanna call him a superstar?? pshhhhh.....I knew that Hawks team was overrated....people only made a big deal about em cuz they swept Boston, who matched up bad against them because of the athleticism.

RadiantShot
05-09-2010, 02:26 AM
Joe Johnson is a choke come playoff time. One of the most overrated players in the league. He's way too inconsistent for my liking.

BlondeBomber41
05-09-2010, 02:40 AM
I'd be very happy to bring him in as the #2 guy with Dirk. Hope this keeps up and he does bounce. We'll trade them Caron Butler and Erick Dampiers contract for Johnson and Zaza.

Brendan Haywood - Zaza Pachulia
Dirk Nowitzki - Eddie Najera
Shawn Marion - Deshawn Steveson
Joe Johnson - Jason Terry
Jason Kidd - Rodrigue Beaubois

Then use our MLE to improve at backup PF and SF and I'd be very happy with the team.

abe_froman
05-09-2010, 03:14 AM
I'd be very happy to bring him in as the #2 guy with Dirk. Hope this keeps up and he does bounce. We'll trade them Caron Butler and Erick Dampiers contract for Johnson and Zaza.

Brendan Haywood - Zaza Pachulia
Dirk Nowitzki - Eddie Najera
Shawn Marion - Deshawn Steveson
Joe Johnson - Jason Terry
Jason Kidd - Rodrigue Beaubois

Then use our MLE to improve at backup PF and SF and I'd be very happy with the team.

seriously??? i thought you were tired of surround dirk with teammates that dont show up in the playoffs

jfin
05-09-2010, 03:36 AM
most players could care less about the fans, they don't play for the fans. who cares about wishy washy people anyway. they don't care bout the Hawks so why should the Hawks care about them

SluggeR
05-09-2010, 03:40 AM
a good dude, that let his frustration get to him...plain n simple

ldc62
05-09-2010, 03:41 AM
most players could care less about the fans, they don't play for the fans. who cares about wishy washy people anyway. they don't care bout the Hawks so why should the Hawks care about them

But now he looks like a D-bag.

Reyes6
05-09-2010, 03:49 AM
I think he's going to Miami personally, but it seems like this quote was meant more for the fans that were boo'ing and being unhappy at the team. Not the whole fanbase in general.

He just seemed frustrated and he'll probably do some BS apology even though he didn't intend for it in this context in the first place. The media sucks... lol.

kArSoN RyDaH
05-09-2010, 04:04 AM
i could understand his frustration. i cant believe the fans were booing thoough. as if the team wants to lose or play bad. its not like they want that to happen. as a fan you just dont do that especially in the playoffs.

dabears2010
05-09-2010, 04:24 AM
Link (http://www.ajc.com/sports/atlanta-hawks/johnson-on-unhappy-fans-522943.html)

If Johnson really said he "could care less if fans show up", I lost 100% of the respect I had for him before reading this. Does he not know that without the fans, he is a minimum wage worker at Walmart or some place like that. Not a NBA star. I hope he gets only $5 million MAX per year after saying that stuff and I really hope the Bulls DON'T get him now.

dabears2010
05-09-2010, 04:27 AM
Only a desperate team would offer this guy a max. I always thought he never deserved to be mentioned as one of the top players like many analysts think he is. "Quiet Superstar" my ***....this guy can't even get 20 ppg a night in the playoffs, and people wanna call him a superstar?? pshhhhh.....I knew that Hawks team was overrated....people only made a big deal about em cuz they swept Boston, who matched up bad against them because of the athleticism.

S&T Bosh with the Bulls for Hinrich and Deng. I'd be down with that trade as a Bulls fan.

JayW_1023
05-09-2010, 04:35 AM
He is a great second option who wants to be the man. I wish JJ would show some humbleness, because only then can he build a legacy for himself.

dabears2010
05-09-2010, 04:35 AM
Most athletes could care less about the average person. Also "talking ****" is saying something along the lines of "if your gonna boo us, why come?"

I mean in the long run, hell two weeks from now, nobody will care what he said after a game three loss in what is probably gonna be a sweep.

What JJ said "not being smart" is an under statement. How is he going to talk SH$% about the people that are paying him to play? Would you go up to the owner of you job and talk SH$% to him/her? no. Yes I know the fans don't technically "own" the team, but without them buying tickets to watch the games, neither would Atlanta Spirit, LLC or whoever it is that owns them now. Without ticket sales there is no team, let alone players making millions of dollars. So get a clue.

GSW Hoops
05-09-2010, 04:37 AM
Lol. Does he expect fans to be happy about a 30-point playoff loss?

JiffyMix88
05-09-2010, 04:51 AM
i believe this is being blown out of poportion. he realistically only pissed of all 30 hawks fans that come to the games

alencp3
05-09-2010, 05:22 AM
Joe Johnson is one of the smartest and good guy in the league.

mudvayne387
05-09-2010, 06:13 AM
like i said, knicks will sign guys like him anyway :laugh2:

Funny coming from a Lakers fan, your franchise revolves around one of the biggest scumbags on earth.

loveofthegame87
05-09-2010, 06:51 AM
Never bite the hand that feeds you.

MTar786
05-09-2010, 06:51 AM
the knicks could sign lebron and joe or bosh and joe. that way they can even resign david lee or maybe another all star thats not max level

Caps1989
05-09-2010, 07:26 AM
This for sure validates the fact that he's leaving. And what an ARSEHOLE, the fans invest so much emotional crap into the game of basketball, and if it wasn't for the money they pay for those seats and watching on tv and ratings and all that stuff, how the **** would the owner give this prick his payday.

Joe Johnson = OVERRATED

Ever consider that the fans were *******s? Scrath that, they aren't even fans if they abandon hope against a better team and start boo'ing their own.

Iron24th
05-09-2010, 07:52 AM
Maybe if Joe would actually step up and give the fans something to cheer about, they would show up. He's playing awful against the Magic and is clearly not a franchise player. He's a 2nd option and is not a leader.

Yeah a 2nd or 3rd option at best.

magichatnumber9
05-09-2010, 08:01 AM
Do people actually read the bull **** you post? You sound pretty condescending if you ask me. All the hours you spend stalking these players online and this is the thanks you fans get. The nerve of Joe Johnson.

Miltown34
05-09-2010, 08:55 AM
comparing JJ to Marbury is more outrageous than him calling the fans out...he's leaving it was this guy named Brandon Leak and he said their was a hawk that was going 2 tlk about there problems as a team after the season ended....he never has done anything wrong so how can u call someone a cancer and douche already

obanga
05-09-2010, 09:00 AM
Well, their performance has been absolutely pathetic. They've been pretty much blown out every game and Joe Johnson isn't helping his case with his 30ish% shooting.

kj_
05-09-2010, 09:32 AM
They deserved to be booed...That's the right of the fan to boo a team when they suck balls.

He'll get the max. There are too many teams with cap space or willing to deal in S&T. The demand heavily outweighs the supply of max guys. A lot of second tier FA will be getting heavily over payed.

That said...JJ to the T. for Calderon, DeRozan and the 13th pick. Bosh finally has his second scorer and no more excuses.

And if they suck, we'll boo them mercilessly...It's what we do here.

hawks4
05-09-2010, 10:09 AM
dude atlanta fans are garbarge, they're never there in the regular season and only show up for the playoffs... jj's right **** them!

Oh and bulls fans are so much better right?

avrpatsfan
05-09-2010, 10:17 AM
He's not going to be a Hawk next year.

netsgiantsyanks
05-09-2010, 10:27 AM
lol the hawks should have let the bucks beat them

skinsfan4life80
05-09-2010, 10:51 AM
What did you want him to say it really hurts my feelings when they BOO and thats why we are not playing good..please be nice to us guys. Come on he is right as bad as he is playing he needs to be worrying about his own damn play and the team not what the fans think. If you spend your time worrying about what the fans think you wont be in this bussiness long.

ugafan
05-09-2010, 10:55 AM
Atlanta fans do really suck, only show up for playoff games and such. But if you knew the way Atlanta is set up as a city, you'd understand why. Phillips Arena is 45+ minutes from where most people live. Atlanta has a population of like 600,000 at the most. Metro Atlanta has a population of like 6,000,000.

Kakaroach
05-09-2010, 11:02 AM
The fans were being messed up but c'mon JJ has been sucking it up this entire series. And for his response, JJ is angry that he has performed poorly but even angrier that the fans didn't support him.

I don't know if this means anything, but I wouldn't be at all surprised now if he leaves the ATL.

Sadds The Gr8
05-09-2010, 11:23 AM
S&T Bosh with the Bulls for Hinrich and Deng. I'd be down with that trade as a Bulls fan.

if those Bynum rumours are true, then **** your deal...but then again...wtf does that have to do with this thread?

Sadds The Gr8
05-09-2010, 11:30 AM
i could understand his frustration. i cant believe the fans were booing thoough. as if the team wants to lose or play bad. its not like they want that to happen. as a fan you just dont do that especially in the playoffs.

easy to say this when u aren't paying hundreds of $$$ to watch your team lose by 20+ every game in a series. I'm sure if u were in this situation, you'd boo too. Complete waste of money...this team was expected to go far this year and even possibly upset Boston, Cavs, or Orlando...they just cant compete with top teams.

Iodine
05-09-2010, 11:32 AM
What JJ said "not being smart" is an under statement. How is he going to talk SH$% about the people that are paying him to play? Would you go up to the owner of you job and talk SH$% to him/her? no. Yes I know the fans don't technically "own" the team, but without them buying tickets to watch the games, neither would Atlanta Spirit, LLC or whoever it is that owns them now. Without ticket sales there is no team, let alone players making millions of dollars. So get a clue.

And in an alternate reality this would have a slight impact

this is a NON issue

JordansBulls
05-09-2010, 12:18 PM
He's not going to be a Hawk next year.

I don't think they would even want him back now.

showtym24
05-09-2010, 12:28 PM
He's gone.

prodigy
05-09-2010, 12:30 PM
Those fans pay his salary. I think those comments will hurt him in more ways them one. Like marketing.

S.J.Basketball
05-09-2010, 12:38 PM
I'd boo too if my team decided to not show up and get blown out by 30 points every game. I mean WTF Johnson?! What happened to the Hawks?!? They showed so much promise during the season to at least make a legit playoff run and compete, but they're getting blown out. It's not like the Jazz/Lakers series. At least the Jazz, playing undermanned, have competed and been there EVERY game. The Hawks don't even show up to play. They've been getting their ***** handed to them. It's embarrassing! Easily the most boring series I've seen in quite awhile.

godolphins
05-09-2010, 12:46 PM
He's gone!!!!

Chicagofaithful
05-09-2010, 12:47 PM
Oh and bulls fans are so much better right?

dude not to start with you... but i thought that was common knowledge. We've led the league in attendance for i dont even know how long and havent been in the second round of the playoffs for a few years now, and before that weren't even in the playoffs since jordan. Any educated basketball fan, bulls hater or not, will tell you that. Atlanta is notorious for a weak fan base... don't get defensive its true... im sure that doesn't include you

Denver-boy
05-09-2010, 01:01 PM

Joe Johnson = OVERRATED

:D:facepalm: overrated... its impossible to be overrated if nobody knows him, someone has to tell this guy things like this :facepalm: guy needs help

prodigy
05-09-2010, 01:02 PM
Atlanta is notorious for a weak fan base... don't get defensive its true..

News to me. I always thought they were pretty strong.

smith&wesson
05-09-2010, 01:06 PM
bosh will resign with the raps if we get joe johnson. BC go ahead and throw some money at joe. raps fans are solid. stadiums always packed. joe wont have a say in the matter. the fans will always be there to boo him if he stinks it up lol and we dont go away.

Denver-boy
05-09-2010, 01:07 PM
"We could care less if they show up"

maybe he meant, we dont care cause we suck balls, we can careless if fans show up cause lets be honest theyre gonna get beat, and shut out, Magic will sweep them. but i dont balme JJ, he played hard, hes just getting beat by a better TEAM. jj COME TO the NUGZ

SA5195
05-09-2010, 01:23 PM
His value's going down even more. He's sucking *** in the Playoffs too.

But I find the crowd weird though, 1/3 of the crowd cheers for the opposing team lol.

td0tsfinest
05-09-2010, 01:28 PM
I still think the guy is going to get a Max Contract. He's no Lebron or Wade but with growing probability of both of those guys staying in their respective cities, JJ might be the most sought out swingman.

*Silver&Black*
05-09-2010, 01:35 PM
I actually don't mind it. Real Hawks fans know that these "fans" that show up during the playoffs are not always there. Even though the Hawks are just now starting to be in the top of the East, it doesn't mean "fans" should come out all of a sudden. Look at Kings fans. That team could suck and those fans still come to the games. When the Hawks sucked, those games were either empty or had the other teams' fans there. So I don't mind him talking about those "fans" because most of them are not real fans.

BUT..... on the other side, Joe Johnson needs to worry about playing because he has been the weakest player in the entire playoffs so far for any team.

NYMetros
05-09-2010, 01:44 PM
Look at Kings fans. That team could suck and those fans still come to the games.

The Kings finished 27th in attendance percentage this season. And 29th in 2009.

Raidaz4Life
05-09-2010, 01:48 PM
I just learned to hate JJ

*Superman*
05-09-2010, 01:56 PM
I actually don't mind it. Real Hawks fans know that these "fans" that show up during the playoffs are not always there. Even though the Hawks are just now starting to be in the top of the East, it doesn't mean "fans" should come out all of a sudden. Look at Kings fans. That team could suck and those fans still come to the games. When the Hawks sucked, those games were either empty or had the other teams' fans there. So I don't mind him talking about those "fans" because most of them are not real fans.

BUT..... on the other side, Joe Johnson needs to worry about playing because he has been the weakest player in the entire playoffs so far for any team.

I don't like you because you copied my * style. :mad:

Raph12
05-09-2010, 02:06 PM
I do agree that's he's not a #1 guy, but he's not wrong in saying that about the fans of Atlanta. The Hawks ranked 22nd in attendance this season, which is rare for a 53-win team that went 34-7 at home (tied for 2nd best home record with the Magic, Cavs were #1 [35-6]). The fans in Atlanta are ungrateful and not having their support all season long plays a big role in a young team's mind... They should be ashamed of themselves.

Voodoo Alchemy
05-09-2010, 02:15 PM
jj is weak.

Voodoo Alchemy
05-09-2010, 02:17 PM
He's gone!!!!

nigaaaa should've stayed in phx.

thedfactor
05-09-2010, 03:01 PM
Joe Johnson is done it ATL after game 4. What a dumb thing to say about the fans just because you as players get humiliated by the Magic.

Man up and accept the blame you douche. Seriously, never bash your fans. It's an obligation to them for you to play well and your best.

Just shows are lack of character on JJ's part. Plus, Crawford is showing he plays better than Johnson.

RipVW
05-09-2010, 03:13 PM
I do agree that's he's not a #1 guy, but he's not wrong in saying that about the fans of Atlanta. The Hawks ranked 22nd in attendance this season, which is rare for a 53-win team that went 34-7 at home (tied for 2nd best home record with the Magic, Cavs were #1 [35-6]). The fans in Atlanta are ungrateful and not having their support all season long plays a big role in a young team's mind... They should be ashamed of themselves.

As lame as the Atlanta fans may be. Its not their obligation to support the Hawks. Its Joe Johnson's obligation to earn their support. Its not an entitlement and so, it looks really bad when you play like garbage and say anything remotely negative about the fans. Maybe he was speaking out of frustration but it looks really bad.

Im sure David Stern loved this. It wasnt that long ago that he invoked a dress code and had that ugly incident at Detroit. For an NBA player to say he's indifferent to the fans spits in the face of what Stern has been trying to do.

CowboysKB24
05-09-2010, 03:15 PM

Joe Johnson = OVERRATED

But most sports stars hate the fans... think about it they are always hounding you, following you, being annoying as *****. I'd get frustrated sometimes too, but he should have never said that. Not at all sport stars love the fans, most don't.

Korman12
05-09-2010, 03:27 PM
This is where I differ from other sports fans:

I don't care that he said what he said, I don't care about the "unspoken rules" of whatever the hell someone said - that crap doesn't matter. "Oh, but you never bash the fans." But they bash him all they want. Stop acting like he stabbed somebody; he said some crap, who cares.

Does he deserve max, no, but that's a moot issue.

Jambox5000
05-09-2010, 03:40 PM
I'm pretty sure he would end up caring a whole lot if the fans stopped showing up and watching. It would mean he would have to get a real job and move back in with his mom.

Jambox5000
05-09-2010, 03:44 PM

I don't care that he said what he said, I don't care about the "unspoken rules" of whatever the hell someone said - that crap doesn't matter. "Oh, but you never bash the fans." But they bash him all they want. Stop acting like he stabbed somebody; he said some crap, who cares.

The difference being that the fans indirectly pay his gigantic salary.

EaglesJackson10
05-09-2010, 04:28 PM
Really Joe? I think you should care because the fans are the reason you have a job and the reason that you will be getting that huge contract this off season.

bigsams50
05-09-2010, 04:33 PM
WOW, i cant believe he said that. I just lost the little bit of respect i had for him :pity:

HouRealCoach
05-09-2010, 04:57 PM
Joe Johnson should go to a team that has a player better than him

saucy1
05-09-2010, 05:09 PM
he hasnt shown up in the playoffs why should they

Kakaroach
05-09-2010, 05:16 PM
Apparently there are some new reports that Joe Johnson didn't apologize during today's practice, but just acknowledged and said it was the heat of the moment.

madiaz3
05-09-2010, 05:34 PM

how was nate robinson a douchebag player? especially to the fans?? he was prolly their favorite. and besides we cant be more unhappy than we already are and we already sell out pretty much every game. he wouldnt even have that problem in ny

streetballa
05-09-2010, 07:24 PM
I think what he was trying to get at is he does not care whether the fans are there the team needs to come together if they want to win.....but that is just some "lawyering"

jfin
05-09-2010, 07:56 PM

i agree with you. fans think just because they pay for a ticket or watch a team on tv they get a right to shyt on players all the time. how would some of these people like it if random people came up to them and said they suck at their job and called them an a-hole? they'd be ready to fight someone. fans need to get rid of that sense of entitlement that they think they can talk to athletes however

KnicksWin
05-09-2010, 08:23 PM
People love to overract to things like this. He could be taking cheap shots at fans, be he also could just be saying that the team does not need to worry about the fans, they need to focus on the court and the locker room.

He didn't say to hell with ATL I am gonna be out of here next year anyway, then I would say he was being an "arsehole" as you said.

If any of you think those few lines is going to cost him that max contract you are high. The thing that is going to cost him a contract (if anything) are his terrible numbers in the post season.

I for one do not want the Knicks throwing all that money at him because he has stated he doesn't want to rebuild again like he had to in ATL.

KnicksWin
05-09-2010, 08:26 PM
i agree with you. fans think just because they pay for a ticket or watch a team on tv they get a right to shyt on players all the time. how would some of these people like it if random people came up to them and said they suck at their job and called them an a-hole? they'd be ready to fight someone. fans need to get rid of that sense of entitlement that they think they can talk to athletes however

I agree with you man, players are played to play, not be pr and say the writh the thing every time.

The pepole who are paid to be nice have the bright yellow jackets on and help you to your seat at the game.

madiaz3
05-09-2010, 08:33 PM
Yeah, don't criticize him for an irrelevant issue while he's clearly frustrated.

Iodine
05-09-2010, 08:35 PM
I <3 knick fans

LA_Raiders
05-09-2010, 08:48 PM
Dang, he is an ***... I hope he gets a bad deal... He turned down 16M/yr??? Stupid...

evadatam5150
05-09-2010, 08:50 PM

Joe Johnson = OVERRATED

Yeah it's really too bad watching him flame out like that..

skinsfan4life80
05-09-2010, 09:34 PM
"The fans pay players salary " what a dumb pointless thing to say.

MacFitz92
05-09-2010, 09:38 PM
He spoke the truth. But, he made a serious mistake. Telling the truth is not always the best thing. Yes, every athlete gets frustrated with fans at some point, but you cannot call them out because they are the ones that pay for your oversized paycheck.

skinsfan4life80
05-09-2010, 09:44 PM
Everybody pays everybodys paychecks in this country. You pay no more of the players paychecks then they pay of yours.

Jambox5000
05-10-2010, 12:02 AM
he hasnt shown up in the playoffs why should they

ZING! I liked this post.

Jambox5000
05-10-2010, 12:03 AM
"The fans pay players salary " what a dumb pointless thing to say.

explain how in the context of this conversation that quote is
A. Dumb
or
B. Pointless

Jambox5000
05-10-2010, 12:06 AM
Everybody pays everybodys paychecks in this country. You pay no more of the players paychecks then they pay of yours.

Wow! That was deep.

I'm kidding, it had no basis in reality and makes absolutely no sense, and the first sentence contradicts the second.

It's simple: If a business (The NBA) doesn't have customers (fans) or care if they show up to purchase a product (tickets, TV ratings) the business will fail and it's employees (players like Joe) will be out of a job.

JordansBulls
05-10-2010, 07:47 AM
Wow! That was deep.

I'm kidding, it had no basis in reality and makes absolutely no sense, and the first sentence contradicts the second.

It's simple: If a business (The NBA) doesn't have customers (fans) or care if they show up to purchase a product (tickets, TV ratings) the business will fail and it's employees (players like Joe) will be out of a job.

:clap:

Iodine
05-10-2010, 08:12 AM
Wow! That was deep.

But it (any sort of reaction) wont happen, so why make it (a comment) any sort of big deal?

KnicksorBust
05-10-2010, 09:00 AM
I honestly think people are just overreacting. My opinion is that his mindset is that the team is playing bad and the fans aren't going to change that. They need to change it. It's not the best mindset to be in but I'm sure when you're an All-Star player approaching FA on a team that seems to have hit its ceiling and is going against a team that it pretty has no chance to beat... there's pressure. This is what the one millionith time an athlete has been approached after a loss and said the wrong thing? It's not like he's out at the club with weapons, drugs, women, breaking the law. People saying "oh I hate JJ now." Blah blah. Give me a break. The only thing that surprises me is that I haven't read any kind of apology.

Oh and to those of you who say he's overrated, look at the first month and a half of the season. He was playing like a top 5 player. He's got tremendous skills and that's why in a player's poll he was voted the most UNDERRATED player in the league.

JordansBulls
05-10-2010, 12:34 PM
Joe Johnson and Boozer should go to the Knicks and Bosh to Chicago. I'd love a Bulls vs Knicks playoff series next season.

DeyAce
05-10-2010, 12:52 PM
Joe Johnson and Boozer should go to the Knicks and Bosh to Chicago. I'd love a Bulls vs Knicks playoff series next season.

Man it would be so awesome if we got Bosh. Johnson and Boozer would not take us over the hump like Bosh would do.

Unruly Fan
05-10-2010, 01:02 PM
Ouch.

Stunner
05-10-2010, 01:33 PM
He right ATL fans are the worst they werent there supporting them thru the bad times like Bulls and Knicks fans would do, and only showed up for the playoffs fake fans. I would have said the same thing too. And i think his hand injury is making him upset as well. He is as good as gone he will prob be a Bull or somewhere with a good fan base cuz in reality some players do care about that when it comes down to playing with a certain team.

masalex1205
05-10-2010, 01:44 PM
To put things in perspective the ATL fans booed the Hawks in the FIRST MINUTE of game 3.

JJ is a good guy, just frustrated. Wasn't the smartest thing to say but yall are acting like he raped a 9 year old.

fadedmario
05-10-2010, 01:47 PM
If I was from Atlanta I'd hate Joe Johnson after that comment. Especially when his contract is up at the end of the season. No class

dev0
05-10-2010, 01:58 PM
this so-called clown was a starter in the all-star game, he may not command a max level contract but with so many teams dumping salary in an attempt to steal away an all-star player with the dillusion of dollar signs he'll probably get it. And good for him, he's quietly worked hard and was the best player on a team that finished 3rd best in the east, above Boston too. He'll get his. As for the fans... **** 'em, when your team performs like they have all season and thoroughly entertained a starved Atlanta fanbase with quality basketball and hope (for once), they should never boo their own team, NEVER. it's a disgrace, and good on JJ for not taking any of that crap from a bunch of flip-flopping fans who cannot appreciate all of his effort, and his teammates' efforts. He shouldn't have to shoulder all the burden of them losing, nor bear the full brunt of the boos, as they were not just aimed at johnson, but the entire team. Besides, they advanced through the first round for crying out loud! There are many cities that crave a team as good as Atlanta was this season, and all i see is it being taken for granted.

jojoe1188
05-10-2010, 02:05 PM
welcome to the knicks joe

MattyPatty
05-10-2010, 02:19 PM
joe johnson just screwed himself over :T

skinsfan4life80
05-10-2010, 02:30 PM
Wow! That was deep.

Just because you are a paying customer doesnt give you the right to be an *****. No matter what you do for a living customers pay your salary. If you work at best buy and i buy all my electronics from there should i come in and say you suck the service sucks and a i can never get someone to answer the phone ? If you work at McDonalds and I buy some french fries i pay your salary. If you work as in the corprate office at comcast..i pay your salary..if you work at sprint i pay your salary. Hey I use yahoo..Guess Mark Cuban owes me too. IF your a cop my taxes pay your salary. If you work at the Nissian dealership i pay your salary. This whole we pay your salary stuff fans say is stupid. What if Joe Johnson turned to you and said the 7 million a year i paid in taxes last year paid for your kids schools..or that new road you drive on. No matter what your job is someone you dont know pays your salary..if you walked out your job and 30k people where yelling at you because they pay your company money how would you feel ? I tell you what i think every comcast employee sucks..and sprint too..maybe i should just go up to the headquarters and act like an *** and tell them my 180 a month pays there salary. If you and your two friends who probably havent been one hawks game as it is already, stop going to the games Joe Johnson will still have a job just like if i switch from Mickey Ds to burger no one at Mcdonalds will lose there job. Fans need to get over themselvs.

NYtilIdie
05-10-2010, 02:37 PM

No we'll take Bosh and JJ and you guys can have Boozer.

junion
05-10-2010, 02:45 PM
i understand joe johnson's frustration. your "fans" start booing you, and you lose your games pretty badly. he will be frustrated at the fans and teammates.

but i understand the frustration of the fans and why they boo. they just saw their team get taken to 7 games against the bucks, and then just get slaughtered by the magic. i would boo too.

it's just a team and their fans losing badly, and they're taking it out on each other. but i think he should have been more calm about it. the fans are fans, while he's the professional basketball player - professional... he should act like it.

i doubt he'll be back because now the fans will boo him if he resigns. they'll boo him until he becomes like a durant or something - and it looks like that's not going to happen.

JordansBulls
05-10-2010, 03:02 PM
welcome to the knicks joe

I thought Lebron was going there?
:)

MagicDojo
05-10-2010, 03:14 PM
I got news for you Joe the fans are only there to see Orlando.
Wouldnt it be awesome if the arena is half empty tonight..

SteveNash
05-10-2010, 06:03 PM
How much less could Joe Johnson care?

JordansBulls
05-10-2010, 09:08 PM
How much less could Joe Johnson care?

:p

JordansBulls
05-11-2010, 07:47 AM
Did anyone notice that JJ was booed off the court last night?

Jambox5000
07-11-2010, 04:38 AM
But it (any sort of reaction) wont happen, so why make it (a comment) any sort of big deal?

Believe me, this (big deal) isn't high on my list of priorities to worry over.

Also, why bother commenting on anything on this forum, then? By your logic, none of our opions will ever amount to any change, so why bother posting any of them? Your opinion on sports won't change how things are actually done in the league, so why bother posting any of it? I can tell by your post count that you have expressed many an opinion...why make your thoughts "any sort of a big deal"?

Jambox5000
07-11-2010, 04:44 AM
Just because you are a paying customer doesnt give you the right to be an *****. No matter what you do for a living customers pay your salary. If you work at best buy and i buy all my electronics from there should i come in and say you suck the service sucks and a i can never get someone to answer the phone ? If you work at McDonalds and I buy some french fries i pay your salary. If you work as in the corprate office at comcast..i pay your salary..if you work at sprint i pay your salary. Hey I use yahoo..Guess Mark Cuban owes me too. IF your a cop my taxes pay your salary. If you work at the Nissian dealership i pay your salary. This whole we pay your salary stuff fans say is stupid. What if Joe Johnson turned to you and said the 7 million a year i paid in taxes last year paid for your kids schools..or that new road you drive on. No matter what your job is someone you dont know pays your salary..if you walked out your job and 30k people where yelling at you because they pay your company money how would you feel ? I tell you what i think every comcast employee sucks..and sprint too..maybe i should just go up to the headquarters and act like an *** and tell them my 180 a month pays there salary. If you and your two friends who probably havent been one hawks game as it is already, stop going to the games Joe Johnson will still have a job just like if i switch from Mickey Ds to burger no one at Mcdonalds will lose there job. Fans need to get over themselvs.

My friend, this is very simple...take an economics class, you are wrong(or proving me right) about every single statement you made in the above run-on sentence(s). You are wasting money if you keep paying all of the above mentioned services for sub-par products. FACT: you can't run a business without consumers willing to purchase your product. It's just a shame that we have so many willing idiots who put up with this ****. Being a paying customer does give you that "right". Where do you think the saying, "the customer is always right" came from? Obviously one person can't do it, it takes too much work for everyone to do it...and that's what big business is banking on. So, keep showing up for Hawk's games while they tell you that they don't care about what you think, they know that no matter what you will still pay for it.Who's stupid, now?