PDA

View Full Version : Do You Think There is a Difference of Mentality b/w the Magic and Cavs?

ko8e24
05-08-2010, 06:27 PM
I think there is a difference in the mentality between the two teams. I think Orlando 2010 is very similar in terms of mentality to Lakers 2009. The Lakers knew how tough the West playoffs was going to be, but they knew they were eventually going to get back to the finals to get redemption against Boston (but that didn't happen because of KG injury), but nontheless, their mentality was to make the Finals, and this time, WIN IT!

I see Orlando have the same mentality. You can see it in their body language. They know they will eventually have to face Cleveland, but they're confident they can once against get out of the East and make it to the big dance again, this time, to get redemption against LA.

To me, I think Cleveland is overlooking Orlando. They are acting as if they made it to the finals last yr and came up short (but that was Orlando, not them). I keep hearing from them "We wanna win a championship". (Well I mean, who doesn't, right?) But I feel they're not giving Orlando any respect as defending ECC. Their body language and the things they say indicate that they're definitely going to come out of the East and get to the NBA Finals. I think it's good to have cockiness, and it's okay at times to look ahead, but not being beyond the limit of cockiness and looking "too" far ahead.

Last yr, LA said: The championship goes through Boston. In preparation for Boston, they got tougher, changed up their game a bit, concentrated more on defensive rebounding. And they concentrated on getting healthy. And the focus was, having the Laker franchise winning banner #15.

This yr, Orlando is saying: The championship goes through LA. In preparation for LA, they too are a better defensive team, Dwight Howard is THE UNQUESTIONED INTERIOR DEFENSIVE FORCE OF THE LEAGUE this season in preparation for LA's big trees, and they got a scorer in Vince Carter to possibly neutralize Kobe's scoring, and got a tough defender in Matt Barnes to go up against Kobe. And the focus is to win the title for the Orlando Magic, not Dwight Howard, not Vince Carter, but for the team.

This yr, Cleveland is saying: We're gonna win the championship because we have the King. A Ring for the King! Yes, they got Shaq to combat Dwight, but they have become a more offensive minded team in aiding LeBron in the team's scoring department. I think their defense was much better in the previous seasons. And the mentality for the organization all season has been, do or die, win a ring for LeBron, or he leaves. That is not the type of mentality you should have as an NBA Team. At the end of the day, one individual will not bask in the glory, it will be the entire team that will bask in glory.

I think the difference in the mentalities between the 2 beasts from the east will benefit Orlando in the long run than Cleveland. Of course, I'm not counting out Cleveland to come out of the east, because that would be ridiculously foolish on my part. But this is just something I've noticed.

Do NBA fans here share the same sentiment as me?

Thoughts...

sNaKeS
05-08-2010, 06:34 PM
I think it's just the LOSING team from the year before is just hungrier this year. Boston won 2 years ago over the lakers, then the lakers were hungrier last year on their way to a title over the magic, and now it looks like the magic are the hungriest team this year.

JordansBulls
05-08-2010, 06:43 PM
I think there is a difference in the mentality between the two teams. I think Orlando 2010 is very similar in terms of mentality to Lakers 2009. The Lakers knew how tough the West playoffs was going to be, but they knew they were eventually going to get back to the finals to get redemption against Boston (but that didn't happen because of KG injury), but nontheless, their mentality was to make the Finals, and this time, WIN IT!

I see Orlando have the same mentality. You can see it in their body language. They know they will eventually have to face Cleveland, but they're confident they can once against get out of the East and make it to the big dance again, this time, to get redemption against LA.

To me, I think Cleveland is overlooking Orlando. They are acting as if they made it to the finals last yr and came up short (but that was Orlando, not them). I keep hearing from them "We wanna win a championship". (Well I mean, who doesn't, right?) But I feel they're not giving Orlando any respect as defending ECC. Their body language and the things they say indicate that they're definitely going to come out of the East and get to the NBA Finals. I think it's good to have cockiness, and it's okay at times to look ahead, but not being beyond the limit of cockiness and looking "too" far ahead.

Last yr, LA said: The championship goes through Boston. In preparation for Boston, they got tougher, changed up their game a bit, concentrated more on defensive rebounding. And they concentrated on getting healthy. And the focus was, having the Laker franchise winning banner #15.

This yr, Orlando is saying: The championship goes through LA. In preparation for LA, they too are a better defensive team, Dwight Howard is THE UNQUESTIONED INTERIOR DEFENSIVE FORCE OF THE LEAGUE this season in preparation for LA's big trees, and they got a scorer in Vince Carter to possibly neutralize Kobe's scoring, and got a tough defender in Matt Barnes to go up against Kobe. And the focus is to win the title for the Orlando Magic, not Dwight Howard, not Vince Carter, but for the team.

This yr, Cleveland is saying: We're gonna win the championship because we have the King. A Ring for the King! Yes, they got Shaq to combat Dwight, but they have become a more offensive minded team in aiding LeBron in the team's scoring department. I think their defense was much better in the previous seasons. And the mentality for the organization all season has been, do or die, win a ring for LeBron, or he leaves. That is not the type of mentality you should have as an NBA Team. At the end of the day, one individual will not bask in the glory, it will be the entire team that will bask in glory.

I think the difference in the mentalities between the 2 beasts from the east will benefit Orlando in the long run than Cleveland. Of course, I'm not counting out Cleveland to come out of the east, because that would be ridiculously foolish on my part. But this is just something I've noticed.

Thoughts...

It would suck to lose to the same team in back to back years when you are the team that has the HCA.

RadiantShot
05-08-2010, 07:48 PM
I think Orlando's focus is winning the Championship, game-by-game. Cleveland's focus is winning the Championship by looking at the series at a whole. That being said, I find Orlando's ambitions greater, but that could just be me being a homer. ;)

ko8e24
05-08-2010, 07:54 PM
I think Orlando's focus is winning the Championship, game-by-game. Cleveland's focus is winning the Championship by looking at the series at a whole. That being said, I find Orlando's ambitions greater, but that could just be me being a homer. ;)

In this regard, no, you are not being a homer, because a fan of another team (me) shares the same sentiment. Just like last yr's playoffs, Orlando hasn't showcased themselves at all in the media, they're not hyping themselves, they're not concentrated on one player's discomforts or struggles or difficulties and letting that out of the media where it comes to the point where you're talking about that one guy and his troubles instead of looking at the team and its performance in playoff basketball. To me, that's what the Cavs have become with LeBron and his elbow and "trying to win a ring for the king" and will Lebron stay "if he wins a title" etc. etc.

That's why I like this Orlando team, because they are all unselfish guys who are FOR THE TEAM. It's not about Dwight Howard prancing around with his DPOY award, or Vince Carter prancing around because he's finally on a winning team for the 1st time since those 1 or 2 good successful team seasons in Toronto. With Orlando, it's about THE TEAM and their struggles and successes. Not one guy's agenda.

RaysFan
05-08-2010, 07:54 PM
I don't see any real difference. I just think Orlando has faced easier opposition in the first 2 rounds....and this is coming from an Orlando fan.

RaysFan
05-08-2010, 07:55 PM
To me, imo, this is a post from a Kobe fan that can't stand LeBron.

Raph12
05-08-2010, 07:56 PM
Dwight sat there, tears in his eyes and just watched Kobe and his Lakers celebrate on the Magic's HC, he even pulled Jameer out of the lockeroom and forced him to watch so it burned. He said he wanted that hunger and passion to be in the team's two captains, because their teammates would follow suit and it looks like it's really worked.

The Magic seem focused, hungry and determined to win a ring, now we'll just see if they could go out there and execute.

ko8e24
05-08-2010, 07:57 PM
I don't see any real difference. I just think Orlando has faced easier opposition in the first 2 rounds....and this is coming from an Orlando fan.

Looks like you're not understanding what this thread is saying. It's not about how Cleveland has performed against Chicago and Boston as opposed to how Orlando has against Charlotte and Atlanta. It's about the approach, the mentality, the difference in the agendas of the two ball clubs.

ko8e24
05-08-2010, 08:00 PM
Dwight sat there, tears in his eyes and just watched Kobe and his Lakers celebrate on the Magic's HC, he even pulled Jameer out of the lockeroom and forced him to watch so it burned. He said he wanted that hunger and passion to be in the team's two captains, because their teammates would follow suit and it looks like it's really worked.

The Magic seem focused, hungry and determined to win a ring, now we'll just see if they could go out there and execute.

GOOD, he should have felt that way. It that shows how much he wants to win and how much he cares, and the fact that he had the ballz to sit there and watch them celebrate. Kobe had tears in his eyes after game 6 of the 2008 Finals when Boston raped LA by 39 pts. I'm glad to see the serious and mature nature of Dwight Howard this season. He's taken the whole Shaq charade well, the whole criticism of Orlando losing to LA in the finals and all very well. Shows his maturity and great leadership for the Orlando Magic.

ko8e24
05-08-2010, 08:02 PM
To me, imo, this is a post from a Kobe fan that can't stand LeBron.

Seeing as most of your opinions are wrong here on PSD, your words don't hold much importance. With comments like that, you're just trying to instigate people against me and making this thread into a Kobe vs LeBron thread. Shame on you.

RaysFan
05-08-2010, 08:04 PM
I don't see any difference. Both teams REALLY want a title and both teams feel like they are the team to beat. Cleveland has the HCA and they were better in the regular season. Orlando is playing sharper ball in the playoffs.

I don't see any difference in mentality or focus. I never got the sense that Cleveland is taking Orlando lightly and I actually am wondering where you got that opinion from.

D Roses Bulls
05-08-2010, 08:06 PM

Thoughts...

exactly my thoughts :clap:

bigsams50
05-08-2010, 08:07 PM
I think losing to Boston has shown Cleveland that they cant overlook teams like they did last year, and that they are gonna have to bring their A game every night if they wanna win. Orlando is showing that they are not overlooking anybody and have been on a roll here lately. Should make for an interesting ECF's!

marlinsfan24
I see this too. Cleveland is the cocky team who expects to make it to the finals and Orlando is the quiet team that is not taking anything for granted.

Even Cavs fans watching the playoffs should be able to admit this. This is just how the 2 teams are built.

Not saying one is better than the other because both have looked really good.

Raph12

You are NOT an Orlando fan, all you've done is post about Lebron's greatness since I can remember... Don't put the Magic down, claim your a fan and then say this is about hatred for Lebron. LBJ fans need to realize that the world doesn't revolve around him, no matter what his t-shirts say.

GOOD, he should have felt that way. It that shows how much he wants to win and how much he cares, and the fact that he had the ballz to sit there and watch them celebrate. Kobe had tears in his eyes after game 6 of the 2008 Finals when Boston raped LA by 39 pts. I'm glad to see the serious and mature nature of Dwight Howard this season. He's taken the whole Shaq charade well, the whole criticism of Orlando losing to LA in the finals and all very well. Shows his maturity and great leadership for the Orlando Magic.

x2

Everyone critisized him for being too smily and immature to win anything, but he's come out on a mission and his team looks damn scary. I look forward to Game 4 and the rest of the playoffs, I'm expecting greatness, if they lose this time, it won't be because of their lack of passion.

TheWatcher34
05-08-2010, 08:08 PM
something inside of me wants to facepalm now..i think i am getting bored. good night.

ko8e24
05-08-2010, 08:11 PM
You are NOT an Orlando fan, all you've done is post about Lebron's greatness since I can remember... Don't put the Magic down, claim your a fan and then say this is about hatred for Lebron. LBJ fans need to realize that the world doesn't revolve around him, no matter what his t-shirts say.

x2

Everyone critisized him for being too smily and immature to win anything, but he's come out on a mission and his team looks damn scary. I look forward to Game 4 and the rest of the playoffs, I'm expecting greatness, if they lose this time, it won't be because of their lack of passion.

Well, I don't think it was "lack of passion", but it was more of inexperience and the inability to understand the "moment" that was the NBA Finals. I don't think they realized really the true meaning of making it to the big dance. I think this yr, they understand.

prodigy
05-08-2010, 08:13 PM
I see this too. Cleveland is the cocky team who expects to make it to the finals and Orlando is the quiet team that is not taking anything for granted.

Even Cavs fans watching the playoffs should be able to admit this. This is just how the 2 teams are built.

Not saying one is better than the other because both have looked really good.

Dwight Howard was recently asked in a interview if the season would be a failure if they did not win the championship. He flat out said no.

For the cavs EVERY SINGLE PLAYER has said this season is a complete failure without that ring.

So that tells you just how different these two teams are.

*Superman*
05-08-2010, 08:16 PM
Dwight Howard was recently asked in a interview if the season would be a failure if they did not win the championship. He flat out said no.

For the cavs EVERY SINGLE PLAYER has said this season is a complete failure without that ring.

Link or are you talking out your ***.

RaysFan
05-08-2010, 08:21 PM
Can the original poster just point out some examples of why Cleveland is the arrogant and selfish team? I haven't seen it.

Orlando and Cleveland are the 2 best teams in the East and 2 of the 3 best teams in all of basketball. They will likely meet in the ECF and it could be a great series. I don't see a difference in attitude. I think the issue you have is with the media and all of their coverage of Cleveland because of LeBron. I don't see any real difference between the 2 TEAMS. The coverage of the 2 teams is a different story.

Raph12
05-08-2010, 08:22 PM
Well, I don't think it was "lack of passion", but it was more of inexperience and the inability to understand the "moment" that was the NBA Finals. I don't think they realized really the true meaning of making it to the big dance. I think this yr, they understand.

I never said you did and I didn't think it was because of a lack of passion, but they did seem pretty content with eliminating the Cavs. They seem to have that killer instinct this season and have the experience to not get rattled in the Finals... It'll be a much better battle this year, let the best team win. :cheers:

That's bs, Dwight has said their goal is to win a ring since last season... Link?

prodigy
05-08-2010, 08:25 PM
Link or are you talking out your ***.

would be tough to find a short interview like that. It was the ones they play on ESPN during the games.

I don't care if you believe me. He said it.

prodigy
05-08-2010, 08:28 PM
I never said you did and I didn't think it was because of a lack of passion, but they did seem pretty content with eliminating the Cavs. They seem to have that killer instinct this season and have the experience to not get rattled in the Finals... It'll be a much better battle this year, let the best team win. :cheers:

That's bs, Dwight has said their goal is to win a ring since last season... Link?

Don't ever put words in my mouth. of course their goal is to win a ship.

I saw Howard doing the Lebron/Jordan powder thing. If thats what you call a killer instinct then he has that. He also can't stop doing impressions. Is this guy ever serious?

Raph12
05-08-2010, 08:30 PM
would be tough to find a short interview like that. It was the ones they play on ESPN during the games.

I don't care if you believe me. He said it.

Yeah and Lebron said he's content with just getting out of the 1st round...

I don't care if you believe me. He said it. :facepalm:

I've watched every Magic game this season and he never said that once, he always said that they're playing for something bigger.

prodigy
05-08-2010, 08:37 PM
Yeah and Lebron said he's content with just getting out of the 1st round...

I don't care if you believe me. He said it. :facepalm:

I've watched every Magic game this season and he never said that once, he always said that they're playing for something bigger.

Howard did say it. but anyways.

Have you heard the Magic say its either ring or bust as much as the cavs do? nope. Thats like our slogan lol.

BTW- When I have some free time I'll find that clip of Howard saying it. So just watch what you say because I will say BOOOYAAAAAAA!!!!!!!! lol. He really did say it.

JiffyMix88
05-08-2010, 09:02 PM
It all comes down to being out coached sometimes Lebron can only do so much at free will but when someone comes in with a gameplan AND has the pieces to make it work its hard to win, because i think their both mentally strong and you can see by their regular/post season records.

Raph12
05-08-2010, 11:35 PM
Howard did say it. but anyways.

Have you heard the Magic say its either ring or bust as much as the cavs do? nope. Thats like our slogan lol.

BTW- When I have some free time I'll find that clip of Howard saying it. So just watch what you say because I will say BOOOYAAAAAAA!!!!!!!! lol. He really did say it.

I'd love to see that clip, Dwight would never say that, I'll vouch for him. I have heard the Magic say it's a ship or bust, and "when I have some free time I'll find that clip" as well... They really did say it... Really.

RadiantShot
05-09-2010, 12:35 AM
Prodigy, you're on the naughty list now. Hope you're content.

Really though, you're getting annoying as ****, I'm not going to sit here, and pretend that you aren't. Everyone's thinking the same exact thing, as well.

I really, honestly, CAN'T wait, come June. We'll let our play speak for itself. Unlike half the cocky fans here, us Orlando Magic fans take great pride in being humble. It's guys like you who bring out the worst in us. Seriously, chill out. ;)

MagicBucsSox
05-09-2010, 12:51 AM
ppl can say what they want about the teams we faced,we play our schedule, CLEVELAND GOT TO PLAY TO WORST TEAM IN THE PLAYOFFS AND ONLY DOMINANTED THE BULLS IN "ONE" GAME!!!.