PDA

View Full Version : Which 2nd Option Could Most Likely Win Finals MVP?

ko8e24
05-08-2010, 05:43 PM
In a 7 game series of the NBA Finals, a player could get hot or could benefit from a matchup against the opposing team (AKA Tony Parker against the Cavs in 2007). Which 2nd option of the 8 teams remaining do you think could very well win a Finals MVP if his team wins the championship.

Los Angeles Lakers: 1st Option: Kobe Bryant

2nd Option: Pau Gasol

Cleveland Cavaliers: 1st Option: LeBron James

2nd Option: Antawn Jamison

Boston Celtics: 1st Option: Paul Pierce

2nd Option: Rajon Rondo

Orlando Magic: 1st Option: Dwight Howard

2nd Option: Vince Carter (Perhaps Jameer Nelson can be a consistent 2nd guy since Vince Carter is not as reliable all-the time IMO)

Phoenix Suns: 1st Option: Steve Nash

2nd Option: Amare Stoudemire

(Although with the Suns, there is no clear-cut defined 1st & 2nd option, the two can be interchangeable)

San Antonio Spurs: 1st Option: Tim Duncan

2nd Option: Tony Parker (However, this season, Manu Ginobili as been more of a scoring option than TP)

Atlanta Hawks: 1st Option: Joe Johnson

2nd Option: Josh Smith

Utah Jazz: 1st Option: Deron Williams

2nd Option: Carlos Boozer

Hawkeye15
05-08-2010, 05:44 PM
well, Parker already has, so him I guess. Gasol, and Stoudemire next. Even Rondo could get his name in the hat

JordansBulls
05-08-2010, 05:47 PM
In a 7 game series of the NBA Finals, a player could get hot or could benefit from a matchup against the opposing team (AKA Tony Parker against the Cavs in 2007). Which 2nd option of the 8 teams remaining do you think could very well win a Finals MVP if his team wins the championship.

Los Angeles Lakers: 1st Option: Kobe Bryant

2nd Option: Pau Gasol

Cleveland Cavaliers: 1st Option: LeBron James

2nd Option: Antawn Jamison

Boston Celtics: 1st Option: Paul Pierce

2nd Option: Rajon Rondo

Orlando Magic: 1st Option: Dwight Howard

2nd Option: Vince Carter (Perhaps Jameer Nelson can be a consistent 2nd guy since Vince Carter is not as reliable all-the time IMO)

Phoenix Suns: 1st Option: Steve Nash

2nd Option: Amare Stoudemire

(Although with the Suns, there is no clear-cut defined 1st & 2nd option, the two can be interchangeable)

San Antonio Spurs: 1st Option: Tim Duncan

2nd Option: Tony Parker (However, this season, Manu Ginobili as been more of a scoring option than TP)

Atlanta Hawks: 1st Option: Joe Johnson

2nd Option: Josh Smith

Utah Jazz: 1st Option: Deron Williams

2nd Option: Carlos Boozer

This would be Gasol easily. He already led the team in Win Shares and PER in the season and is also doing so in the playoffs.

ldc62
05-08-2010, 05:50 PM
Gasol or Jameer Nelson. If Amare wins it, that would be garbage (don't rip on me but)... Nash is the guy.

ko8e24
05-08-2010, 05:52 PM
This would be Gasol easily. He already led the team in Win Shares and PER in the season and is also doing so in the playoffs.

That's exactly what I was thinking. If the Lakers face the Cavs in the Finals, I think it has to be Pau Gasol at his best. There's way too many guys you can put on Kobe like Jamison, LeBron, Parker, Moon. And Cleveland is a very tough perimeter defensive-minded team. I think they could easily bait Kobe into taking difficult perimeter shots like he did against other tough perimeter defensive minded teams like 04 Pistons and 08 Celtics. I think Pau would do fine against undersized guys like Jamison and Hickson, against a slow Shaq who would at times have to come out 15 ft cuz Pau can knock down the jumpshot very well, I think Big Z is too slow and old. Varejao can obviously give him fit, but I think Pau's offense is much superior to Andy's defense. If Lakers meet Cleveland in the Finals, I'll go with Pau for Finals MVP. If Lakers meet Orlando against in the Finals however, Dwight Howard is a different beast, so I would go with Kobe again for Finals MVP. It all depends on the matchups.

spoonhoops
05-08-2010, 05:53 PM
I like Millsap instead of Boozer. :)

defender4m
05-08-2010, 05:54 PM
No doubt gasol. Hes been as dominant as he can be so far and is pretty much taking over the paint and post with bynum.

ko8e24
05-08-2010, 05:55 PM
I like Millsap instead of Boozer. :)

But I think Boozer will get more minutes if Jazz make it to Finals. I think Sloan is more comfortable of having Boozer play majority of the minutes on the biggest stage, and him ending games as well.

GoatMilk
05-08-2010, 05:56 PM
this is such a gasol thread...

DCB/LAL
05-08-2010, 06:44 PM
Wow nobody has said Amare??

Gasol will never get against Kobe.

Jamison will never get against Lebron.

Nelson on the Magic would be my second guess.

The Spurs have Ginobili, TP and Duncan which is their second option?

The Jazz have Boozer and Williams but without Williams they wont win the Finals he would have to put up MVP like numbers.

sNaKeS
05-08-2010, 06:46 PM
It would have to be amare or gasol. Both are very good players and could drop 25 ppg and 10 rpg.

sNaKeS
05-08-2010, 06:47 PM
Also, DCB/LAL I'm loving the new sig. Dez Bryant the next great cowboy reciever!

AirCanada15ORL
05-08-2010, 07:02 PM
What was the point of that VC jab? Honestly..

anyways Id say truthfully

Rondo or Carter.

Kobes winning finals MVP if the Lakeshow wins, no matter how good Gasol is.

ko8e24
05-08-2010, 07:22 PM
What was the point of that VC jab? Honestly..

anyways Id say truthfully

Rondo or Carter.

Kobes winning finals MVP if the Lakeshow wins, no matter how good Gasol is.

Sorry, wasn't trying to insult him, but there are times where when Vince is needed the most, he'll start jacking up jumpers instead of going to the rim. Jameer Nelson, if given the same number of shot attempts as Vince, could be a more viable 2nd option.

ko8e24
05-08-2010, 07:28 PM
I guess instead of Josh Smith, I could've said Jamal Crawford coming off the bench as being the Hawk's 2nd option. But hell, he's probably a better 1st option than Joe Johnson. LMAO!

Anyways, it really doesn't matter for Finals MVP for Atlanta. I just put them in this thread because I was trying to be nice. But they not even worthy of my niceness and pity. They have no business being in the 2nd rd of the playoffs, they're gonna get swept in the semis for the 2nd straight season. I think Bucks with healthy Bogut and Redd could've taken out Atlanta in the 1st rd, and we'd see probably a little bit more of a competitive 2nd rd b/w Orlando and Milwaukee.

LAcowBOMBER
05-08-2010, 07:31 PM
Does no one else think that Pierce being listed as the number 1 option for the Celtics is ridiculous?

I'd say Parker if I had to pick, but I honestly don't see any of them doing it

bigsams50
05-08-2010, 07:34 PM
I guess instead of Josh Smith, I could've said Jamal Crawford coming off the bench as being the Hawk's 2nd option. But hell, he's probably a better 1st option than Joe Johnson. LMAO!

Anyways, it really doesn't matter for Finals MVP for Atlanta. I just put them in this thread because I was trying to be nice. But they not even worthy of my niceness and pity. They have no business being in the 2nd rd of the playoffs, they're gonna get swept in the semis for the 2nd straight season. I think Bucks with healthy Bogut and Redd could've taken out Atlanta in the 1st rd, and we'd see probably a little bit more of a competitive 2nd rd b/w Orlando and Milwaukee.

I agree, Atlanta should be ashamed of themselves. Hell, i know my Cats got swept, but at least we kept it competitive!!!

ko8e24
05-08-2010, 07:38 PM
I agree, Atlanta should be ashamed of themselves. Hell, i know my Cats got swept, but at least we kept it competitive!!!

After Hawks lose Joe Johnson in the offseason, they are going nowhere but down. With an aging Bibby, no true center, JJ on his way out, and only 3 worthy players on the team in Horford, Smith and Crawford, I wouldn't be surprised if next season, Atlanta barely makes it to the playoffs in the weak east.

And I hope Charlotte adds a big free agent so that they could be worthy of being that 4th team (not Atlanta) of being compared to Boston, Cleveland and Orlando.

ko8e24
05-08-2010, 07:39 PM
Does no one else think that Pierce being listed as the number 1 option for the Celtics is ridiculous?

I'd say Parker if I had to pick, but I honestly don't see any of them doing it

I put Pierce as #1 option to be politically correct, because everyone still views him as "The Franchise Guy" for the C's, even though he's now basically garbage.

goose15
05-08-2010, 07:39 PM
1 Gasol
2 Amare

bigsams50
05-08-2010, 07:47 PM
After Hawks lose Joe Johnson in the offseason, they are going nowhere but down. With an aging Bibby, no true center, JJ on his way out, and only 3 worthy players on the team in Horford, Smith and Crawford, I wouldn't be surprised if next season, Atlanta barely makes it to the playoffs in the weak east.

And I hope Charlotte adds a big free agent so that they could be worthy of being that 4th team (not Atlanta) of being compared to Boston, Cleveland and Orlando.

I agree man. 2bad we cant make any moves due to us being over the cap. I wish we could trade Diaw for a legit big man but i dont see anyone taking on Diaws contract

Raph12
05-08-2010, 08:00 PM
Stat, Vince and then Pau.

ko8e24
05-08-2010, 08:05 PM
I agree man. 2bad we cant make any moves due to us being over the cap. I wish we could trade Diaw for a legit big man but i dont see anyone taking on Diaws contract

MJ will say: **** the cap, we're goin overboard to create a contender in the East.

That's just the competitive nature of "His Airness"

bigsams50
05-08-2010, 08:08 PM
MJ will say: **** the cap, we're goin overboard to create a contender in the East.

That's just the competitive nature of "His Airness"

I sure hope so. Maybe he'll include unlimited amount of Jordan apparel for any one who signs lol

DreamShaker
05-09-2010, 12:17 AM
Gasol is the only one I could see winning...but then again...the Cavs, Magic, and Lakers are the only teams with a realistic chance of winning it all...and Lebron not winning the MVP on the Cavs is a joke and Vince Carter: Finals MVP just...wow....can't see that...

jimbobjarree
05-09-2010, 12:19 AM
Boston, Phoenix or San Antonio

if Nelson had a great series he could do a Tony Parker and win it ahead of his star big man

GSW Hoops
05-09-2010, 12:21 AM
Gasol.

Costra_Nostra
05-09-2010, 12:33 AM
I say Vince has the best shot. He is the best player out of the names mentioned and can explode for 40 on any given night. Him, Rondo, and Pau have the best shots. I would hesitate to say Rondo and Pau a bit because they aren't proven clutch players. They both give the balls to others during the important moments and at times have both committed stupid turnovers that cost games. Amare would be the best answer but the chances but the Suns making the Finals are from very slim to slim.

AIverson
05-09-2010, 12:34 AM
Vince Carter.

Besides Amare, vince is the most explosive scorer out ofthese guys. He can get hot any time and it will look like he carried his team blah blah blah. None of those other guys have a real chance IMO.

king4day
05-09-2010, 01:31 AM
For the Suns I could see Richardson.
Amar'e is the Suns' first option currently, not Nash.

JordansBulls
05-09-2010, 09:19 AM
For the Suns I could see Richardson.
Amar'e is the Suns' first option currently, not Nash.

Could you imagine Richardson winning it?

:speechless: