PDA

View Full Version : Interpret this comment from Dwyane Wade

RipVW
05-08-2010, 03:42 PM
“Let me say it like this, I’ve won a championship with Coach Riley and I’ve won 15 games with Coach Riley,” Wade said of the 2006 title and the team’s 2007-08 struggles. “So it all depends on what year it is. We’ve had success. We’ve had turmoil. So it all depends.”

http://blogs.sun-sentinel.com/sports_basketball_heat/2010/05/does-dwyane-wade-want-riley-as-coach.html

BTW, here is the whole article.

« Previous PostNext Post »Does Dwyane Wade want Riley as coach?
by: Ira Winderman May 6th, 2010 | 6:52 PM Amid the speculation of whether a prime free-agent acquisition would prefer Pat Riley as Heat coach, there is one missing element that trumps the entire equation:
Does Dwyane Wade want Pat Riley as coach?
Considering Wade and Riley spoke after the season, Wade clearly didn’t veto the prospect, or else Riley certainly never would have issued Monday’s comments.

Sometimes with Heat coaches it is difficult to tell who is coming and who is going.
Of course, going from Point A to Point B never is simple with superstar players, since the long view hardly is their priority.
But if Wade did not shoot down the notion of a Riley return, has he effectively shot down any chance of a continuing relationship with Erik Spoelstra?
Clearly, at no point, did Wade step up to Riley and say that a term of his continuing South Florida employment is the continued employment of Spoelstra as the leading man on the bench.
Because if he did, we would not be having this discussion today.
The New York Post, from a distance, attempted to shed some light on the subject when it cornered Wade at the NBA Store in New York.
“Let me say it like this, I’ve won a championship with Coach Riley and I’ve won 15 games with Coach Riley,” Wade said of the 2006 title and the team’s 2007-08 struggles. “So it all depends on what year it is. We’ve had success. We’ve had turmoil. So it all depends.”
Wade said he was not surprised by Riley’s words.
“If you know coach, you know he’s never lost the passion,” Wade said. “He stepped aside to run the organization, but he never lost the passion to coach. I wasn’t surprised at all. I understand where his mindset is, but, at the same time, Erik Spoelstra is still our coach, so I’m not putting much into it.”
It hardly was an endorsement of a Riley return. It also hardly was an endorsement of a current coach who many have speculated was Wade’s preference as a Riley replacement.
For much of this week, the conjecture has been about what a LeBron or Bosh or Stoudemire would prefer.
But what matters most is what Wade would prefer.
It certainly did not end well between Wade and Riley the first time around.
Wade certainly did not take kindly to Riley’s commenting at midseason on Wade’s conditioning.
Don’t kid yourself, Wade holds all the cards here.
If he wants Spoelstra to stay, Spoelstra stays.
Of course, if he dictated that as a term of employment, then we would not be at this mid-May crossroads in the first place.

*Superman*
05-08-2010, 03:44 PM
Doesn't make sense. Just like half the things basketball players say.

Raps18-19 Champ
05-08-2010, 03:45 PM
The Heat have had their up's and downs with Riley at coach.

what54!?
05-08-2010, 03:46 PM
nothing too deep to read into. he's just saying he's been with riley the best of times and the worst

TrueFan420
05-08-2010, 03:49 PM
I think what he is saying is that it doesnt matter if riley coachs because hes won and lost with him. The help he wants is on the court.

*Superman*
05-08-2010, 03:49 PM
So it all depends on what year it is.

The part I was referring to that didn't make sense, just to clear it up, but yes the overall picture is that there are ups and downs.

SteveNash
05-08-2010, 03:50 PM
Translation: I'm going to NY where Riley used to coach.

RipVW
05-08-2010, 03:51 PM
I interpret that as, Riley becoming coach by itself is not enough to keep him in Miami. They still need to add some really good players in free agency.

Becks2307
05-08-2010, 03:52 PM
I thnk me means ' Grant hill had his prime robbed from him"

asandhu23
05-08-2010, 04:15 PM
I think it means: "Bacon"

DodgerBulls
05-08-2010, 04:23 PM
For Wade, a specific coach does not matter rather the players. He would like to get players to help him who is capable of winning championship(s). He's been saying this issue for the longest time.

For example, if he sees the Bulls has a chance to go all the way despite the coaching situation at Chicago, he'd go as long as the right pieces are in place.
I just had to use Chicago as my example. =]

Geargo Wallace
05-08-2010, 04:29 PM
Man that's some Davinci Code **** right there.

ko8e24
05-08-2010, 04:30 PM
D-Wade: I want a cookie.

streetballa
05-08-2010, 04:38 PM
"Get me the pieces to win or I am gone, coaches mean nothing because I will get them to step away if they mess it up"

PurpleJesus
05-08-2010, 04:48 PM
He has seen riley at his best and worst

TheWatcher34
05-08-2010, 04:50 PM
D-Wade: the way my wife goes up and down fascinates me more than my relationship to Riley.

igPay atinLay
05-08-2010, 05:00 PM
I think he is saying get me Lebron or Bosh and I'll resign if not I'm leaving Miami.

974life
05-08-2010, 05:59 PM
think he's saying he want's to go the lakers!

ko8e24
05-08-2010, 06:04 PM
think he's saying he want's to go the lakers!

I would not be opposed to it. The guy to take Kobe's throne after Mamba retires. :D