PDA

View Full Version : It's time to give Props to Steve Kerr (GM of the Suns)

JordansBulls
05-08-2010, 09:56 AM
He could have easily traded Amare this season to the Cavs before the trade deadline or a team like the Bulls, but he decided to stick with him and now the Suns are having more success than anyone would have imagined this season.:clap::clap:

Slimsim
05-08-2010, 10:08 AM
Good Job Kerr.If the suns beat the spurs this year Show that Suns didn't need Mike D.

Ragun
05-08-2010, 10:10 AM
yes.

that diaw and bell for richardson AND dudley was brilliant.

signing hill and frye to LLEs (was it?)

signing dragic was nice.

signing nash to a 3 year/30 million extension was an amazing move too.

but it would of been nice if they could of landed something for shaq after the year he had.

king4day
05-08-2010, 10:17 AM
yes.

that diaw and bell for richardson AND dudley was brilliant.

signing hill and frye to LLEs (was it?)

signing dragic was nice.

signing nash to a 3 year/30 million extension was an amazing move too.

but it would of been nice if they could of landed something for shaq after the year he had.

The money they saved got them under the cap enough to resign Hill and to get Frye.
I wish we coulda gotten their first rounder though. I don't get how we got a second and that's it.

JasonJohnHorn
05-08-2010, 10:22 AM
I'm not sure if I would give him props. I think considering the limits he has from management in terms of money, he is doing about as good as he can possibly be doing, but if this team still had Marion and Joe Johnson along with Grant Hill and Kurt Thomas, plus the guys they have picked up like Lopez, this team would be a lot better.

I understnad moving QR for Kurt Thomas: they need veteran help up front.
I understand rading Bell and Diaw for J-Rich, they needed scoring.

But the Marion and Shaq trades were all about money, as was the Kurt Thomas trade (that say this team give up a talented forward for less than nothing, and when I say less, I mean they gave the team that took on his contract drafts picks to take the contract).

Now these moves are not Kerr's fault. Kerr's bosses let him know what money they had to spend and told him to get rid of some contracts, so that is what he has had to do, but this team could have won a title by now if that original Nash line up (Nast, Joe Johnson, QR, Marion and Amare) were still together and had some first round drafts picks and free agents added to them, like Hill and Lopez, but instead they are essentially overachiving.

Not trading Amare was a no brainer in my opinion. He has an option for another big paycheck next season and I think he knows that while he has had a solid year, there may not be a lot of teams who have salary for him since most teams are saving for Wade, Bosh, Melo and LBJ. but he could still earn a lot, and any offers they were getting were worthless.

As for how well the team is doing, I think that has more to do with Gentry as a coach (getting running plays that allow players who don't have a complete skill set to play to their maximum potential, like Frye), Nash as a floor leader, Hill as a locker-room presence and Amare and J-Rich as solid scoring options.

Kerr has done a solid job of getting enough talent together with the money he is allowed to spend, but the bottom line is this team could have been a dynasty. I don't blame him because his hands were tied, and its hard to blame management because they have to turn a profit, but this team performing as well as they are has more to do with Gentry, and Nash and Hill and Amare, and roll players like Frye and Dudley stepping up and J-Rich putting up some great scoring nights.

And I will be the first to admit that I picked the Spurs to win this series even though, as a Canadian, I'm always rooting for Nash, but I am happy to freely admit I was wrong, I don't even think the Spurs could come back from 3-0.

Ragun
05-08-2010, 10:26 AM
The money they saved got them under the cap enough to resign Hill and to get Frye.
I wish we coulda gotten their first rounder though. I don't get how we got a second and that's it.

well ben wallace and shaq both had a year remaining on the contract. but you guys did save a couple of million.

PostingMachine
05-08-2010, 10:28 AM
Looking back it was definitely a good move by Kerr, but I'm pretty sure if he had had his way Amare would be playing in a different uniform right now, or more than likely not still playing. However, he didn't cut his price just to get rid of Amare though, and because of that, they are looking at one more win to get to the Western Conference Finals.

STAT32
05-08-2010, 10:28 AM
Yea it truly is. Look back at what he has done for this team and it is astounding!

1) Bringing in and retaining Grant Hill

2) Trading a very overpaid Doris Diaw and Raja Bell for Jason Richardson and Jared Dudley

3) Drafting Robin Lopez and Goran Dragic

4) Allowing Alvin Gentry to run this team

5) Signing Lou Amundson and Channing Frye

6) Dumping Shaq

Kerr has truly done an amazing job of assembling a team that has more chemistry than any Suns team I've ever had the pleasure of watching. Not only that but he has built a team that actually commits themselves to defense when necessary, has become the best 3pt shooting team of all time, and actually has the ability to play a complete second unit. No longer can teams just write the Suns off as a fast-break team who live and die by the three. They have established themselves as a team that can adapt to anything. The fact that they're beating the Spurs at their own game should be evidence of that.

Kerr has done an awesome job when it comes to this team.

Teeboy1487
05-08-2010, 10:29 AM
No way. Steve Kerr is a moron. The guy traded shaq for peanuts and was ready to trade Amare for the same thing. I give all the credit to Alvin Gentry. He has the team playing at such a high level with no help from his idiotic GM. What place did he finish in the Coach of the year ballet? He has done a great job with this team. Who would have ever thought someone would have the suns playing defense. Kerr gets no credit from me.

STAT32
05-08-2010, 10:32 AM
No way. Steve Kerr is a moron. The guy traded shaq for peanuts and was ready to trade Amare for the same thing. I give all the credit to Alvin Gentry. He has the team playing at such a high level with no help from his idiotic GM. What place did he finish in the Coach of the year ballet? He has done a great job with this team. Who would have ever thought someone would have the suns playing defense. Kerr gets no credit from me.

Yes because we all know how instrumental Alvin Gentry was in acquiring Grant Hill, Channing Frye, Jared Dudley, Jason Richardson, Goran Dragic, Robin Lopez, and Louis Amundson.

Give credit where credit is due man.

cambovenzi
05-08-2010, 10:39 AM
K cool he got some nice role players to replace some other nice players.
He also made some real bad moves. like Marion for shaq, and then dumping shaq..

STAT32
05-08-2010, 10:48 AM
Hindsight is 20-20. The fact is, in the here and now everything Steve Kerr has done has brought the Suns to this point. If we hang on to Marion are we up 3-0 on the Spurs? Are we even in the playoffs? The point is Kerr has done some brilliant things that led to the Suns success this year.

Saying he's a bad GM and downplaying all his success because he made some bad moves is like saying it was stupid for the Miami Heat to trade away Lamar Odom, Caron Butler, and Grant for Shaq. What does it matter if the deal may have looked bad because the Heat failed to do anything that year. The fact is they won the title the next year.

It's about how you finish, not how you get there.

rabzouz 96
05-08-2010, 10:51 AM
I'm not sure if I would give him props. I think considering the limits he has from management in terms of money, he is doing about as good as he can possibly be doing, but if this team still had Marion and Joe Johnson along with Grant Hill and Kurt Thomas, plus the guys they have picked up like Lopez, this team would be a lot better.

I understnad moving QR for Kurt Thomas: they need veteran help up front.
I understand rading Bell and Diaw for J-Rich, they needed scoring.

But the Marion and Shaq trades were all about money, as was the Kurt Thomas trade (that say this team give up a talented forward for less than nothing, and when I say less, I mean they gave the team that took on his contract drafts picks to take the contract).

Now these moves are not Kerr's fault. Kerr's bosses let him know what money they had to spend and told him to get rid of some contracts, so that is what he has had to do, but this team could have won a title by now if that original Nash line up (Nast, Joe Johnson, QR, Marion and Amare) were still together and had some first round drafts picks and free agents added to them, like Hill and Lopez, but instead they are essentially overachiving.

Not trading Amare was a no brainer in my opinion. He has an option for another big paycheck next season and I think he knows that while he has had a solid year, there may not be a lot of teams who have salary for him since most teams are saving for Wade, Bosh, Melo and LBJ. but he could still earn a lot, and any offers they were getting were worthless.

As for how well the team is doing, I think that has more to do with Gentry as a coach (getting running plays that allow players who don't have a complete skill set to play to their maximum potential, like Frye), Nash as a floor leader, Hill as a locker-room presence and Amare and J-Rich as solid scoring options.

Kerr has done a solid job of getting enough talent together with the money he is allowed to spend, but the bottom line is this team could have been a dynasty. I don't blame him because his hands were tied, and its hard to blame management because they have to turn a profit, but this team performing as well as they are has more to do with Gentry, and Nash and Hill and Amare, and roll players like Frye and Dudley stepping up and J-Rich putting up some great scoring nights.

And I will be the first to admit that I picked the Spurs to win this series even though, as a Canadian, I'm always rooting for Nash, but I am happy to freely admit I was wrong, I don't even think the Spurs could come back from 3-0.
wat? steve karr wasnt gm when joe johnson was traded and im not even sure if he was gm when marion or QR were traded.

Raph12
05-08-2010, 10:54 AM
J-Rich has been the difference this year, his play has been very impressive, if he can keep it up, they can give LA a fight.

cambovenzi
05-08-2010, 10:56 AM
Hindsight is 20-20. The fact is, in the here and now everything Steve Kerr has done has brought the Suns to this point. If we hang on to Marion are we up 3-0 on the Spurs? Are we even in the playoffs? The point is Kerr has done some brilliant things that led to the Suns success this year.

Saying he's a bad GM and downplaying all his success because he made some bad moves is like saying it was stupid for the Miami Heat to trade away Lamar Odom, Caron Butler, and Grant for Shaq. What does it matter if the deal may have looked bad because the Heat failed to do anything that year. The fact is they won the title the next year.

It's about how you finish, not how you get there.

So we should give props to a GM for making bad moves as long as his team makes the playoffs?:eyebrow:
They were contenders before he got here, and they are contenders now.
They still aren't favored to win it all.

STAT32
05-08-2010, 11:00 AM
No but honestly, the bad moves he's made pale in comparison to the good ones. The Shaq trade was not his idea it was pushed by Mike D'antoni and Robert Sarver. Dumping Shaq was also Sarver's doing. The abysmal Kurt Thomas deal was Robert Sarver's doing.

For crying out loud the guy has been trying to run the team with both hands tied behind his back thanks to our tight-*** owner give him some credit already.

Slimsim
05-08-2010, 11:00 AM
K cool he got some nice role players to replace some other nice players.
He also made some real bad moves. like Marion for shaq, and then dumping shaq..

What has Marion Done since he;s been traded ? He looked like a below average player on the heats and Couldn't even contribute to a stacked Dallas team. Shaq couldn't even get the suns in the playoffs last year So it wasn't a huge loss.

STAT32
05-08-2010, 11:01 AM
Oh and by the way, you know the Lakers aren't favored to win it all either?

cambovenzi
05-08-2010, 11:09 AM
What has Marion Done since he;s been traded ? He looked like a below average player on the heats and Couldn't even contribute to a stacked Dallas team. Shaq couldn't even get the suns in the playoffs last year So it wasn't a huge loss.

It matters little what hes done since going, he was a great fit in PHX and doing very well there.
but if you insist on asking, i hear he is playing stellar defense while providing good efficient offense as well.

but who cares, hes just one allstar caliber player right?
not like the suns want those.
they surely can afford to dump 16/10 players with good defense who are shooting over 52% for nothing.

cambovenzi
05-08-2010, 11:10 AM
Oh and by the way, you know the Lakers aren't favored to win it all either?

They are heavily favored to win the west, and are tightly grouped with the magic and cavs as favs to win it all.

STAT32
05-08-2010, 11:13 AM
Lol so it's a three way tie? Lmfao.

I see what you did there...

STAT32
05-08-2010, 11:14 AM
It matters little what hes done since going, he was a great fit in PHX and doing very well there.
but if you insist on asking, i hear he is playing stellar defense while providing good efficient offense as well.

but who cares, hes just one allstar caliber player right?
not like the suns want those.
they surely can afford to dump 16/10 players with good defense who are shooting over 52% for nothing.

Yes and Shawn Marion was instrumental against the Spurs... The guy just flat-out disappeared in the playoffs. He wanted max-money which he was not worth so we dumped him. Say what you want but Shawn Marion was a horrible matchup against these Spurs.

domz248
05-08-2010, 11:28 AM
bye bye suns

td0tsfinest
05-08-2010, 01:40 PM
i'm just happy they decided to unlock steve nash from his shackles. It's crazy to make a superstar play a style, that doesn't maximize his abilities.

STAT32
05-08-2010, 01:44 PM
^^^ You know what's weird about that though, the Suns aren't a push it down your throat fast-break team. They have completely demolished the Spurs with a pin-point accurate half-court offense. Yet Steve Nash is thriving in this type of system.

Very weird...

SteveNash
05-08-2010, 02:12 PM
I don't see why Kerr should get any credit at all. The Spurs are just old and now they'll just have LA on top instead of the Spurs. The Suns haven't gotten much better than they were before Kerr got there and they only outperformed expectations because the bar was set so low, mostly do to Kerr's ineptness in the first place.

Toenail Clipper
05-08-2010, 02:13 PM
Yea it truly is. Look back at what he has done for this team and it is astounding!

1) Bringing in and retaining Grant Hill

2) Trading a very overpaid Doris Diaw and Raja Bell for Jason Richardson and Jared Dudley

3) Drafting Robin Lopez and Goran Dragic

4) Allowing Alvin Gentry to run this team

5) Signing Lou Amundson and Channing Frye

6) Dumping Shaq

Kerr has truly done an amazing job of assembling a team that has more chemistry than any Suns team I've ever had the pleasure of watching. Not only that but he has built a team that actually commits themselves to defense when necessary, has become the best 3pt shooting team of all time, and actually has the ability to play a complete second unit. No longer can teams just write the Suns off as a fast-break team who live and die by the three. They have established themselves as a team that can adapt to anything. The fact that they're beating the Spurs at their own game should be evidence of that.

Kerr has done an awesome job when it comes to this team.

lol, they didn't draft Dragic you Suns fan ;)

STAT32
05-08-2010, 02:15 PM
Yes they did, they scouted him and they made the deal with SA. That move was Steve Kerr all the way.

GrkGawdofWalkz
05-08-2010, 02:18 PM
To be honest when he took Goran Dragic I didn't see much to work with so the Blair for Dragic is really not as one sided as I thought it was originally. He's getting a lot out of Frye and Amundson and guys of that nature. This team could be that much better if Clark can start to gain on his potential. So congrats Steve Kerr. I thought you were a moron two seasons ago.

RocketsRule
05-08-2010, 02:33 PM
I must admit, I thought he was a terrible GM after his trades involving Shaq and dumping Kurt Thomas for nothing.

But my perception has changed of him, he's drafted pretty well (Earl Clark is the only exception, but there's still plenty of time for that to change) and his more recent moves have been great as well. Bringing in Richardson and Dudley was brilliant, and signing then retaining Hill was another great move.

I doubted him many times, as many of us were, but, boy, has he proved me wrong.

kurivaimu
05-08-2010, 02:49 PM
Well, Kerr has done a great job this season. But when you consider what he did in the past, i wouldnt give him a pat on the shoulder just yet.
Trading for O'Neal was a hidious move, as well as the hiring of Terry Porter.

kurivaimu
05-08-2010, 02:53 PM
I also want to point out that Alvin Gentry should be getting some recognition!
Done a brilliant job.

AI4MVP
05-08-2010, 03:08 PM
i completely agree. he was the one who aquired channing frye, jason richardson, lou amundson, jared dudely and drafted Goran Dragic and Robin Lopez. At first I thought he was a moron, but after last nights game when Dragic was running back in the tunnel, he was met by Steve Kerr, who gave him a HUGE hug. and i sat and thought for a minute about the job hes done. Hes done exactly what I wanted the suns to be. Players that play with heart. players that hustle. that give there all in every possesion.

Well done Kerr :clap:

Voodoo Alchemy
05-08-2010, 05:04 PM
best teams don't always win. it's the team that plays the best that wins. sure, the lakers are the best right now but the suns are playing some really good basketball. i still think the lakers in 5 or 6 but you got to remember, no one picked the suns to be up 3-0 on the spurs either.

DCB/LAL
05-08-2010, 05:09 PM
Give credit to Nash for making this team GO.....Stat was almost traded at the deadline because they weren't the same team they are now they still have the same players just not the same team and I give the Credit to Nash and Stat for than not Kerr maybe a little to Gentry.

ink
05-08-2010, 05:15 PM
I agree. I've been giving props to Kerr all the way through the failed Shaq experiment, just for trying to re-invigorate the Suns with a fresh outlook. He deserves to see them have a good long run this year, and I hope they go all the way to the title.

ldc62
05-08-2010, 05:46 PM
I thought he was garbage, but I guess he came through. Guess we have to blame the failures of last year on Stinktoni.

heathonater
05-08-2010, 06:08 PM
really didnt like what kerr did to the suns a couple of years ago. this season though, hes been doing a good job, in particular not trading amare away. that was the best move he made in my opinion. they also have developed some solid role players on this team as well.

theimortalone
05-08-2010, 06:51 PM
I wanted to kill Kerr last year, but you gotta give the man mad props, he really helped turn this team around by keeping Amar'e, and drafting the players that he has!!

OA SLAY
05-08-2010, 06:54 PM
Gotta admit i thought he was nuts when they first hired him, but all his moves now have seemed great. Good Job Little Buddy!

THE MTL
05-08-2010, 06:59 PM
I dont think he is a good GM. I just believe Steve Nash is playing ridiculously well and has role players playing out their minds. His team is definitely less talented. But one does have to consider the financial restraints he has on this team.

JordansBulls
05-08-2010, 08:18 PM
Gotta admit i thought he was nuts when they first hired him, but all his moves now have seemed great. Good Job Little Buddy!

I wouldn't say all his moves have been great.