PDA

View Full Version : Is this the best team nash has had?

E.O.21
05-08-2010, 01:44 AM
This team may not be as talented as the one they had a couple of years ago with guys like marion,quentin richardson,etc. but i think this team is better defensively and in my opinion coach gentry is doing a better job with this team.

what do u guys think?

billy17
05-08-2010, 01:57 AM
Its definitely the best chance hes had..

Im really looking forward to a Lakers Suns series

Toenail Clipper
05-08-2010, 01:58 AM
I think when he had Shawn Marion and Raja Bell was the best he ever had.

Sadds The Gr8
05-08-2010, 01:59 AM
No I think the Run N Gun team back from like 05-07 was the best team. That team was stacked as hell, if only they played a lick of defense, who knows if they would've won a couple titles. That team had Nash, Joe Johnson, Barbosa, Marion, Amar'e, Bell, Diaw, and I think I'm leaving ot a couple ppl....but that's a much better cast (talent-wise) than the team now IMO. The team now is just having alot of success because they actually play defense.

Lakersfan2483
05-08-2010, 02:00 AM
No, the team in 06 was better, although Gentry is doing an excellent job with this current team. All of the players are buying into his system and are committed on the defensive end.

Iron24th
05-08-2010, 02:02 AM
They play more like a team,and a little more team's defense too,that's the difference,beating a short handed portland team and too old spurs team is good,but the real challenge comes next round.

OA SLAY
05-08-2010, 02:08 AM
No! its crazy to think so...West was so better 3-4 years ago

king4day
05-08-2010, 02:08 AM
The reason this is the best team is the depth. D'Antoni only went 7, sometimes 8 deep on his bench.

Hill's offense>Marion's (closse defensively)
Richardson>Bell
Both of which can create their own shot. Something Bell and Marion could not do.

Lopez>Any center we've ever had (in Suns history)

We never had a shootiing center either.

Amar'e playing the best basketball of his career.

OA SLAY
05-08-2010, 02:38 AM
The reason this is the best team is the depth. D'Antoni only went 7, sometimes 8 deep on his bench.

Hill's offense>Marion's (closse defensively)
Richardson>Bell
Both of which can create their own shot. Something Bell and Marion could not do.

Lopez>Any center we've ever had (in Suns history)

We never had a shootiing center either.

Amar'e playing the best basketball of his career.

:facepalm:You had the Greatest center EVER to play once.:D

gcoll
05-08-2010, 02:40 AM
Joe Klein?

Oh. Shaq. Ok. Was confused for a second.

On offense Shaq was better than Lopez. But on defense for us, Shaq was too slow and we would get hammered by the pick and roll. Lopez is a better fit.

DreamShaker
05-08-2010, 02:42 AM
Joe Klein?

Oh. Shaq. Ok. Was confused for a second.

On offense Shaq was better than Lopez. But on defense for us, Shaq was too slow and we would get hammered by the pick and roll. Lopez is a better fit.

Haha...I remember him and Pig Miller...poor Barkley...

DreamShaker
05-08-2010, 02:46 AM
I guess this is a legit debate though...it might be...I hope Lopez can come back for the Lakers series...that would should be fun...I haven't paid nearly as much attention to things...but I like this team...beating down the Spurs with Amare and Nash on the bench...just crazy things...J-Rich has finally found his niche as an NBA player as well...

gcoll
05-08-2010, 02:50 AM
To answer the question though. I think it is.

We actually have more three point shooters than any of the other Suns teams, have a deeper bench, a legit center (although he's injured), some more defensive minded players, and a backup point guard.

We had one mid-season lull that made our record look worse than it should have been. Started out as one of the hottest teams in basketball. And post all star break had the best record in the west. There was just this lull in the middle that caused people to not pay enough attention to us.

Duncan = Donkey
05-08-2010, 02:55 AM
Not the most talented team.

But it is his best team built for the playoffs (when lopez is playing)

gcoll
05-08-2010, 03:19 AM
Not the most talented team.
See. I take issue with this "we used to have more talent" line. I don't quite get it.

What is the talent we have lost? Shawn Marion, Joe Johnson/Raja Bell, Boris Diaw, Tim Thomas, Kurt Thomas.

Certainly all played very well for the Suns. But considering we've replaced them with Grant Hill, J-Rich, Dudley, Channing Frye, and Robin Lopez....not too bad.

AI4MVP
05-08-2010, 03:19 AM
does it have the star power and talented players? no. but this is the best TEAM that nash has ever played with. they play as a team, hustle, make key defensive stops, play with heart. do everything a team every wanted. its also by far the deepest team and has by far the best bench in the nash era, and IMO the greatest bench in the nba right now. it might not have alot of well known players, but im tellin ya when gentry throws out dragic, barbosa, dudley, amundson, and frye, your getting the perfect compination of hard nose defene, rebounding, incredible heart, hustle, and three point shooting. best bench in the nba. ALWAYS holds it down, if not extends the lead

ldc62
05-08-2010, 04:18 AM
No way. JJ with Richardson, Marion and Stat was easily the most talented team. But bad luck plus Spurs were just really good ****ed them up.

gcoll
05-08-2010, 04:19 AM
No way. JJ with Richardson, Marion and Stat was easily the most talented team. But bad luck plus Spurs were just really good ****ed them up.

More talented starting 5. But the first guy off the bench for that team was Jim Jackson.

heathonater
05-08-2010, 05:06 AM
this is not the most talented suns team. the '07 team was more talented. not undermining the suns accomplishments this postseason, but the blazers were undermanned and the spurs are obivously no where near their 2007 level of play. i think the suns will still have a problem with la's size in the front court, which will lead to a loss in the wcf.

J-Relo
05-08-2010, 05:42 AM
best bench ever

SeoulBeatz
05-08-2010, 05:52 AM
When they had

PG: Steve Nash
SG: Joe Johnson
SF: Quinten Richardson
PF: Shawn Marion
C: Amare Stoudemire

not nearly enough d to win a chip but they were probably the most exciting team in the past decade.

that was a pretty nasty squad, although undersized, WOW. QRich led the NBA in 3's that year.

stacked

Derick713
05-08-2010, 06:18 AM
The current Suns team is the most complete. I think any GM would take the roster the Suns had back in 2004 with Steve Nash, Joe Johnson, Quentin Richardson, Shawn Marion, and Amare Stoudemire over the current Suns roster.

JordansBulls
05-08-2010, 08:44 AM
This team may not be as talented as the one they had a couple of years ago with guys like marion,quentin richardson,etc. but i think this team is better defensively and in my opinion coach gentry is doing a better job with this team.

what do u guys think?

No let's be real. They played the 6th seed who was missing it's best player and now they are playing the 7th seed.

Raph12
05-08-2010, 11:04 AM
Talentwise no, but this is the deepest team he's ever had.

Kakaroach
05-08-2010, 11:17 AM
Best bench they've ever had and arguably better team defense.

Most talented team? Not compared to those other teams.

Chronz
05-08-2010, 11:25 AM
Their D has been peaking at the right time it seems but the D Antoni teams actually defended better. People saying they didnt play a lick of defense dont know what they are talking about. You dont play with Marion/Bell and KT and not play some defense.

thekmp211
05-08-2010, 11:32 AM
http://basketballreference.com/teams/teamyear.htm?tm=PHO&lg=n&yr=2004

nash's first year when they came outta nowhere was pretty stacked, but a little top heavy. i like the depth here first legit backup pg for nash in a while, jrich looks great always a bit underrated, frye/lopez combo is a great fit for their style, hill looks good. seems like a great fit, plenty of shots to go around and the defense is sorta better

BKLYNNYRNYKNYY
05-08-2010, 11:43 AM
It was either when marion was on the suns or when he was on dallas with dirk

STAT32
05-08-2010, 11:48 AM
Yes, far and away.

ink
05-08-2010, 12:32 PM
See. I take issue with this "we used to have more talent" line. I don't quite get it.

What is the talent we have lost? Shawn Marion, Joe Johnson/Raja Bell, Boris Diaw, Tim Thomas, Kurt Thomas.

Certainly all played very well for the Suns. But considering we've replaced them with Grant Hill, J-Rich, Dudley, Channing Frye, and Robin Lopez....not too bad.

I agree. What's talent? I'd say the current lineup is much more balanced and much deeper in the range of talent you need to put together a winning team. A lot of the current players are more complete players who play better D. That's a talent that any playoff team needs and it's great to see them add D and not lose too much on the offensive side. Kerr has done a great job with this team against all odds and a lot of doubters. Props to him.

MJ-BULLS
05-08-2010, 12:56 PM
When they had

PG: Steve Nash
SG: Joe Johnson
SF: Quinten Richardson
PF: Shawn Marion
C: Amare Stoudemire

not nearly enough d to win a chip but they were probably the most exciting team in the past decade.

that was a pretty nasty squad, although undersized, WOW. QRich led the NBA in 3's that year.

stacked

This, when they had JJ and Marion. that was a pretty crazy athletic team that can get up and run you straight out of the court.

But yes, they were a bit undersized.

Avenged
05-08-2010, 01:01 PM
I think they had more talent a couple years ago. Unfortunately they always seem to run into the Spurs who were just the best team in the NBA for a long period. This year though, they all seem to be clicking and playing well, and let me add the Spurs aren't the Spurs of old. ;)

smith&wesson
05-08-2010, 01:18 PM
i think there the nash, amare, marion, bell, diaw, barbosa team was better but the spurs were also yonger.

i like gentry better as a coach then dantoni. i think dantoni is over rated. i love the way phx is playing right now.

i have to admit i was one of the guys that didnt even count the suns to be in the play offs and now they are my fav team to watch. im very impressed with nash and amare they are playing like they have a chip on the shoulder.

king4day
05-08-2010, 01:37 PM

Shaq was the biggest name center to ever play for us. What Shaq did for this team doesn't compare to what Lopez brings.
I should have said, he'll end up being the best center to ever play for the Suns.

kozelkid
05-08-2010, 01:46 PM
Their D has been peaking at the right time it seems but the D Antoni teams actually defended better. People saying they didnt play a lick of defense dont know what they are talking about. You dont play with Marion/Bell and KT and not play some defense.

You're overrating the impact of perimeter defense. Not only that, but they couldn't rebound for ****, which meant plenty of second chances for opposing teams. Not to mention that they were undersized and would be screwed in a the halfcourt game where stronger players posted up.

king4day
05-08-2010, 01:49 PM
Some of these posts are insane.
The 04-05 team was stacked?
Their starting 5 was. No question. But after that they had barbosa (not the player he is today), and jim jackson and that was it. Literally. It was a 7 man team.

If people are going to say the 04-05 team was better, then the title of the thread should be, "is this the best starting 5 Nash has ever played with?"

Ollie Tabooger
05-08-2010, 03:08 PM
The difference now: Gentry >>>> Dantoni

ko8e24bryant
05-08-2010, 03:39 PM
This is a better team
than in years past, we're not so pretty
as we use to be, but those teams weren't a complete
package. This suns team is a way more complete team
way better defense and way better from the 3 point line
not as fast as we once use to be, but, we're more equipped
to win a championship, but unfortunatley we're gonna have to beat
the Lakers & the Orlando Magic in the finals
the magic will beat the Cavs, AGAIN
and we split the regular season series against the Magic
So Go Suns!

O just so everyone know's
I'm not a Laker Fan just a Kobe Fan
I don't root 4 the Lakers
But I am a Huge Suns Fan and a true Suns fan
I was a fan even when we had terry porter... i know

GO SUNS!!!!!!!!!!!!

STAT32
05-08-2010, 03:41 PM
EDIT* Just read the second half of your post.

Glad to have you on board.

ko8e24bryant
05-08-2010, 03:58 PM
thanks!
glad to be here!
But even better Glad the Suns
are gonna be in the Western conf. Finals!!!

STAT32
05-08-2010, 04:13 PM
Your telling me, how do you think we'll fare against the Lakers?

thekmp211
05-08-2010, 06:43 PM
nash, dirk, finley, van exel, la frenz was a stacked team the anti-defense though

IversonIsKrazy
05-09-2010, 12:59 AM
Best coach but not best team. But the coach has been so well with him, that it's going to have a bigger impact on his success for this year. Gentry >>>>> D'Antoni/Nelson

JJ_JKidd
05-09-2010, 09:55 AM
Yes. But he's gonna fail again...

AllTimeBest
05-09-2010, 09:58 AM
This is a very good team that the Suns have and Steve Nash better take advantage of it, because Amare is gone after this year, which means this is most likely Nash's final opportunity to win the big trophy unless they bring in someone to replace him.

mia305king
05-09-2010, 10:11 AM
This is a very good team that the Suns have and Steve Nash better take advantage of it, because Amare is gone after this year, which means this is most likely Nash's final opportunity to win the big trophy unless they bring in someone to replace him.

It depends imo. If the Suns make the WCF and they offer Amare the max this offseason, I think he stays.

BlazingInferno
05-09-2010, 10:29 AM
If they get past the Lakers in the WCF.

king4day
05-09-2010, 10:59 AM
This is a better team
than in years past, we're not so pretty
as we use to be, but those teams weren't a complete
package. This suns team is a way more complete team
way better defense and way better from the 3 point line
not as fast as we once use to be, but, we're more equipped
to win a championship, but unfortunatley we're gonna have to beat