PDA

View Full Version : Should the Players Pick MVP?

JasonJohnHorn
05-07-2010, 11:07 AM
Years ago the players use to pick the MVP award (obviously they weren't allowed to vote for themselves, and I think there was a rule that stipulated that you couldn't vote for a teammate).

These days the press gets to pick everything? Coaches get to vote on some stuff (like the reserves for the All-Star team), but who really knows who makes the most impact more than the players?

I think its a shame that the press gets to pick so many of the awards and I think it would be really nice to see coaches and players vote on more awards, or at least include the players and coaches in with more of the voting alongside the press.

I'm always curious as to how players would vote about things like All-NBA team and MVP and DPOY.

Hawkeye15
05-07-2010, 11:13 AM
no. You would get many of the young guys voting for players who are up there, but not the best anymore, but have career achievements. Durant claming Kobe is the best in the world is a perfect example.

zachsaints52
05-07-2010, 11:17 AM
I'd still vote for Iverson... just saying.

Unruly Fan
05-07-2010, 11:19 AM
Unbiased opinions are probably one of the rarest things to find no matter who's doing the voting.

ballpd05
05-07-2010, 11:22 AM
I say NBA coaches and executives should vote as well as select analysts and former mvp's.

PrettyBoyJ
05-07-2010, 11:24 AM
no. You would get many of the young guys voting for players who are up there, but not the best anymore, but have career achievements. Durant claming Kobe is the best in the world is a perfect example.

Kobe is still one of the most elite players in the leauge.. And if players voted there be so much biast.. some players dont like each other.. or some players might jus vote for someone becuz of there pass credentials...

G-Funk
05-07-2010, 11:25 AM
yes **** the media!

-Kobe24-TJ19-
05-07-2010, 11:32 AM

After reading your post, it seems you know much more about basketball than Kevin Durant!

hugepatsfan
05-07-2010, 11:40 AM

:confused:

jimbobjarree
05-07-2010, 11:42 AM

in english soccer I think the league announce like 6 candidates and the players vote from them and it works quite well. Its always an honor to get voted for an award by your peers.

J-Relo
05-07-2010, 11:46 AM
Lebron would still be #1

Hawkeye15
05-07-2010, 11:52 AM
Kobe is still one of the most elite players in the leauge.. And if players voted there be so much biast.. some players dont like each other.. or some players might jus vote for someone becuz of there pass credentials...

Kobe is, but many of the young kids would use Kobe's career achievements to place him above LeBron for example, when its just not true that Kobe is better. And yes, many players HATE other players, and would never vote for them

Hawkeye15
05-07-2010, 11:53 AM
After reading your post, it seems you know much more about basketball than Kevin Durant!

thanks!

Lakerfan In NY
05-07-2010, 12:03 PM
I think they should have an input into MVP votes. Unlike, what you guys believe, players are the best people to ask about how good other player is. Above coachs & especially the media.

Slimsim
05-07-2010, 12:21 PM
No because players like Derrick Rose and Rondo will win every year.

RaiderLakersA's
05-07-2010, 12:32 PM
Yes, the players, coaches and the media should all vote on the MVP, with more weight given to the outcome of the coaches' voting.

Sadds The Gr8
05-07-2010, 12:34 PM
Dwight Howard's MVP choices makes it hard to agree with the OP's idea.

Incublime24
05-07-2010, 01:00 PM
I don't know. I think there will always be bias in voting. You don't think that writers like/hate certain players or that they will vote for people in their own market??

I also think it would be more meaningful to the player who wins the MVP knowing that his peers voted for him, and not a bunch of old writers, most of whom never played in the NBA.

I think it would be a good idea.

Evolution23
05-07-2010, 01:20 PM
No because players like Derrick Rose and Rondo will win every year.

Derrick Rose > Jordan

Raph12
05-07-2010, 03:28 PM
No, too biased, having the coaches vote would be better.

kArSoN RyDaH
05-08-2010, 02:09 AM
id be up for that. although i dont think it would change anything too much. the players know who produces and who is the mvp of the league.

OA SLAY
05-08-2010, 02:13 AM
I say NBA coaches and executives should vote as well as select analysts and former mvp's.

^That!...They should have an MVP award and a PLAYER ON THE BEST TEAM AWARD! Hockey is the only sport that gives the MVP award to the actual best player for that year. (Not to say that LBJ doesnt deserve it.Hes simply amazing.)

ldc62
05-08-2010, 03:55 AM
no... they did this in the past and from what I read [in Bill Simmon's book] it was a disaster. Team rivalries and feuds came into consideration and became a political battle...

Chronz
05-08-2010, 03:55 AM
A Panel of experts who have to defend every pick publicly