PDA

View Full Version : Bizarre thing that happened for DPOY and Defensive Teams One Year

JordansBulls
05-05-2010, 05:11 PM
Bizarre thing that happened for DPOY and Defensive Teams One Year

In 1994-1995 Dikembe Mutombo was the DPOY, but what is funny, is that David Robinson was the guy who made the 1st Team All Defensive Team while Dikembe was on the 2nd team. How the **** does that happen?

How can you be DPOY and not make the 1st team?

http://www.basketball-reference.com/awards/all_defense.html

1994-95 NBA
1st Team
Mookie Blaylock
Gary Payton
Scottie Pippen
David Robinson
Dennis Rodman

http://www.basketball-reference.com/awards/awards_1995.html#dpoy

m26555
05-05-2010, 05:12 PM
Just goes to show that these awards mean jack.

DerekRE_3
05-05-2010, 05:15 PM
Just goes to show that these awards mean jack.

Except when Gerald Wallace gets 1st team all nba defense. :nod:

marvILLous
05-05-2010, 05:18 PM
so bizarre!!

bigsams50
05-05-2010, 05:20 PM
Except when Gerald Wallace gets 1st team all nba defense. :nod:

:dance:

ChiSox219
05-05-2010, 05:28 PM
so bizarre!!

How bizarre? (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TfJe8hQ8ha0)

slack_justin
05-05-2010, 05:32 PM
Go David Robinson! Awesome, Pure character player . Should have an award named after him. But he let Tim Duncan take all his stats and he just settled for rebs and blocks allowing his career averages to drop. Just says more about his character

ANKUSH
05-05-2010, 05:33 PM
MVP is usually voted on by the general media (usually writers)....those privileged enough to have the vote....while all defensive teams are usually voted in by coaches.....there's your discrepancy

clutchski
05-05-2010, 05:35 PM
Yeah that makes no sense at all..

tredigs
05-05-2010, 05:36 PM
It is definitely weird, what it means is that they were probably neck and neck in the DPOY voting, and some of the writers had them as equals, so they decided to split their vote by giving one of them DPOY and the other All League Defense 1st team.

It's really odd, but if that was their logic, than I can at least understand it (though I don't agree with it).

MVP is usually voted on by the general media (usually writers)....those privileged enough to have the vote....while all defensive teams are usually voted in by coaches.....there's your discrepancy

If that's the case then there's your answer. Though it's not "usually", it's either that way or it isn't.

*Silver&Black*
05-05-2010, 05:36 PM
Mookie Blaylock!:)

What, a Hawk getting props? That's not suppose to happen.:rolleyes:

ldc62
05-05-2010, 05:57 PM
Go David Robinson! Awesome, Pure character player . Should have an award named after him. But he let Tim Duncan take all his stats and he just settled for rebs and blocks allowing his career averages to drop. Just says more about his character

Or that he really wanted to Win Championships, so he let Duncan be the guy in charge.

Raph12
05-05-2010, 06:02 PM
It is definitely weird, what it means is that they were probably neck and neck in the DPOY voting, and some of the writers had them as equals, so they decided to split their vote by giving one of them DPOY and the other All League Defense 1st team.

It's really odd, but if that was their logic, than I can at least understand it (though I don't agree with it).

If that's the case then there's your answer. Though it's not "usually", it's either that way or it isn't.

This sounds about right.

G-Funk
05-05-2010, 06:24 PM
MVP all the way to coach of the year mean shyt!

JordansBulls
05-05-2010, 08:42 PM

Well Robinson finished 4th in DPOY voting and Hakeem was was 3rd even before Robinson.
So essentially Dikembe and Hakeem were ahead of Robinson but yet Robinson makes the 1st team.
:confused:

slack_justin
05-05-2010, 09:28 PM
Or that he really wanted to Win Championships, so he let Duncan be the guy in charge.

Well he could've been a dousche like most other players and complained then tried to be traded or more money (kevin Garnett) . instead he mentored and talked up duncan to the media. nothing but pure class. in fact garnett couldve gotten out of the first round if his pay wasnt so rediculous when he was younger. Garnett was just my example so i dont wanna hear about how i hate on garnett.

JasonJohnHorn
05-05-2010, 09:47 PM
There are different groups of people voting for them. The same thing happend with Alvin Robertson, he was voted DPOY but only made the 2nd Defensive team. I think coaches vote for one and press for another.

ANKUSH
05-06-2010, 04:18 PM

i said usually because some votes come from fans....fans had a say in mvp this year, for instance.....so it is usually the writers or coaches

tredigs
05-06-2010, 04:32 PM
i said usually because some votes come from fans....fans had a say in mvp this year, for instance.....so it is usually the writers or coaches

I gotchya. But wasn't this year the first time the fans had a say in the voting process whatsoever? Even still it was only 1 vote of 120+.

But the fact that coaches vote on one, while media, etc vote on another has to be the reason. So he has your answer JB>

anpmp
05-06-2010, 04:58 PM
What's so weird or confusing? Defensive MVP and defensive 1st team are voted on by two different sets of people. One set considered Mutombo to be better and the other set considered Robinson to be better. They don't have to agree with each other.

KnicksorBust
05-06-2010, 05:04 PM
How bizarre? (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TfJe8hQ8ha0)

Classic.

What's so weird or confusing? Defensive MVP and defensive 1st team are voted on by two different sets of people. One set considered Mutombo to be better and the other set considered Robinson to be better. They don't have to agree with each other.

But the level of accomplishment makes it unusual. I agree with the OP. For one to say he's the best defensive player of the season and the other to say he's not even the best defensive player at his position is surprising.

I'm also pretty sure Bill Russell won a regular season MVP without making the 1st Team All-NBA that season. Wilt made it.

SteveNash
05-06-2010, 05:11 PM
How can Obama win New York, but McCain win Texas?

anpmp
05-06-2010, 05:12 PM
Classic.

But the level of accomplishment makes it unusual. I agree with the OP. For one to say he's the best defensive player of the season and the other to say he's not even the best defensive player at his position is surprising.

I'm also pretty sure Bill Russell won a regular season MVP without making the 1st Team All-NBA that season. Wilt made it.

If the top two players in the Defensive MVP vote played the same position and the number of votes for each were close, then it is possible that the winner of Defensive MVP vote does not make the Defensive 1st team, but the runner-up does.

JordansBulls
05-07-2010, 04:18 PM
How can Obama win New York, but McCain win Texas?

SteveNash
05-07-2010, 04:21 PM

Different people voting. Just like there are different people voting for DPOY and All-D.

JordansBulls
05-07-2010, 04:52 PM
Different people voting. Just like there are different people voting for DPOY and All-D.

I Gotcha you.

Raidaz4Life
05-07-2010, 04:58 PM
Well Robinson finished 4th in DPOY voting and Hakeem was was 3rd even before Robinson.
So essentially Dikembe and Hakeem were ahead of Robinson but yet Robinson makes the 1st team.

How Bizarre?

ldc62
05-08-2010, 04:06 AM
Do players care that much about All-Defensive teams? Its nice if you have a bunch, but if you have 1 or 2 then its not really memorable [to the fans].

THE MTL
05-08-2010, 06:56 PM
These awards are getting really suspicious. Josh Smith finished second in DPOY voting, but gets absolutely raped by Lebron James in All-NBA 1st Team defense. I mean the point totals were not even close. Josh Smith barely made the second team.

But yeah, they have different ppl voting which gets different results. And I also dont care what anyone says, these guys who make the team arent judged solely on their defense. Im pretty sure offensive stats are back of the mind as well.