PDA

View Full Version : Phoenix to wear Los Suns jerseys for Game 2, Sarver stands up for human rights

SteveNash
05-04-2010, 06:32 PM
The Phoenix Suns made a bold statement Tuesday denouncing the controversial new immigration bill that recently was signed into law.

In announcing that the Suns would wear their "Los Suns" jerseys in recognition of Cinco de Mayo for Game 2 against the San Antonio Spurs on Wednesday, Managing Partner Robert Sarver also addressed the immigration bill that has been a divisive national topic since Gov. Jan Brewer enacted it into law April 23.

"The frustration with the federal government's failure to deal with the issue of illegal immigration resulted in passage of a flawed state law," Sarver said in a statement released by the Suns on Tuesday morning. "However intended, the result of passing this law is that our basic principles of equal rights and protection under the law are being called into question, and Arizona's already struggling economy will suffer even further setbacks at a time when the state can ill-afford them."

http://www.azcentral.com/sports/suns/articles/2010/05/04/20100504phoenix-suns-los-suns-jerseys.html

:clap:

Nice to see someone in the NBA have the cojones to speak out. Hopefully San Antonio and the rest of the NBA will join the fight against racism instead of just showing the NBA Cares PR stunts.

Cromedome
05-04-2010, 06:42 PM
I understand what they're trying to do...but I hate these "los" and spanish jerseys.

save the knicks
05-04-2010, 06:44 PM
what if a player disagrees with this position?

Bruno
05-04-2010, 06:44 PM
That's awesome! Go Phoenix ownership-management.

ATX
05-04-2010, 06:48 PM
I don't see what this immigration issue has to do with the NBA at all. Besides, the Suns are wearing "Los" on their jersey's to support Cinco De Mayo. The NBA is steering clear of this issue, as they should. It doesn't concern them...

save the knicks
05-04-2010, 06:51 PM
Kind of fitting that they do this against San Antonio.

Remember the Alamo?

SAiNi_21
05-04-2010, 06:57 PM
Anyone know whether the Spurs are wearing there Los Spurs jerseys? ... or are the Suns just rebels

Yankees Suck
05-04-2010, 07:07 PM
I think the Suns will do anything to beat the Spurs. I think the next jersey the Suns wear should say Tim Duncan is our daddy.

xbrackattackx
05-04-2010, 07:09 PM
Kind of fitting that they do this against a in San Antonio.

Remember the Alamo?

Never forget 1836!

FOBolous
05-04-2010, 09:07 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/blog/ball_dont_lie/post/Suns-will-wear-Los-Suns-unis-to-honor-Phoenix-?urn=nba,238682

Sarver, who was born and raised in Tucson, said frustration with the federal government's failure to deal with the illegal immigration issue led to the passage of what he called "a flawed state law."

"However intended, the result of passing the law is that our basic principles of equal rights and protection under the law are being called into question," he said, "and Arizona's already struggling economy will suffer even further setbacks at a time when the state can ill-afford them."

"I think it's fantastic," Nash said after Tuesday's practice. "I think the law is very misguided. I think it's, unfortunately, to the detriment of our society and our civil liberties. I think it's very important for us to stand up for things we believe in. As a team and as an organization, we have a lot of love and support for all of our fans. The league is very multicultural. We have players from all over the world, and our Latino community here is very strong and important to us."

just thought yall would find this interesting.

jimbobjarree
05-04-2010, 09:08 PM
badboy rebels!

Punkindrublic03
05-04-2010, 09:28 PM
Andaleeeeee weeeeyyyy

RipVW
05-04-2010, 09:42 PM
Human rights? WTF!

ChiSox219
05-04-2010, 09:51 PM
NBA + State Politics = Loss

thephoenixson28
05-04-2010, 09:57 PM
Anyone know whether the Spurs are wearing there Los Spurs jerseys? ... or are the Suns just rebels I think they were going too. But the shipment would've arrived late. So they were unable to get them for game 2.

ManRam
05-04-2010, 10:01 PM
I think it's great. Nash was on PTI and said that every player, and obviously the management were all on board.

Good for them.

handbanana55
05-04-2010, 10:01 PM
NBA + State Politics = Loss

damn right

JPHX
05-04-2010, 10:03 PM
Human rights? WTF!

Lol. Makes it sound like theres genocide in Arizona.

GodsSon
05-04-2010, 10:12 PM
At least spell the name of the city right lol

lakerboy
05-04-2010, 10:24 PM
I think it's great. Nash was on PTI and said that every player, and obviously the management were all on board.

Good for them.

Nash could be deported if not :D

IversonIsKrazy
05-04-2010, 10:44 PM
Good reaction. Just found out abt the law yesterday that Arizona passed, wow, but great job of the SUns organization to keep up with the Latina fans.

xbrackattackx
05-04-2010, 10:46 PM
I love when teams support their states and Communities it makes it feel like they actually do care and not just getting paid.

Nugget Tony
05-04-2010, 11:07 PM
What a joke... This is The United States of America..... Not Mexico...... I officially can't stand The Los Suns....

ink
05-04-2010, 11:15 PM
@ Tony - Is Spanish only spoken in Mexico? Seems to me the US supports civil liberties, so the protest by the Suns owner is a very appropriate gesture. What would the country represent if people weren't allowed to speak out against seriously flawed laws?

Nugget Tony
05-04-2010, 11:18 PM
@ Tony - Is Spanish only spoken in Mexico? Seems to me the US supports civil liberties, so the protest by the Suns owner is a very appropriate gesture. What would the country represent if people weren't allowed to speak out democratically?

Why is this a bad law? LOL... Everyone is welcome in this country as far as I am concerned....as long as you do it legally... I guess you don't understand how these illegals leech our system.... I know I know...I am racist.... Whatever.... My view has nothing to do with...Latino bashing...

sw20
05-04-2010, 11:20 PM
Sarver does know a good opportunity to sell some new jerseys. j/k

elizur
05-04-2010, 11:22 PM
Why is this a bad law? LOL... Everyone is welcome in this country as far as I am concerned....as long as you do it legally... I guess you don't understand how these illegals leech our system.... I know I know...I am racist.... Whatever.... My view has nothing to do with...Latino bashing...

No one is saying anything about the illegals. The law is flawed because it does effect the Legals in our country. That is the problem.

elizur
05-04-2010, 11:22 PM
Plus this Los Suns thing is awesome.

Nugget Tony
05-04-2010, 11:23 PM
No one is saying anything about the illegals. The law is flawed because it does effect the Legals in our country. That is the problem.

Yeah that law was called The Patriot Act... :D

xbrackattackx
05-04-2010, 11:25 PM
Sarver does know a good opportunity to sell some new jerseys. j/k

Most likely sad but true.

ManRam
05-04-2010, 11:26 PM
I'll do my best liberal Glenn Beck ridiculous parallel drawing.

Police officers being able to profile Latinos asking them for their identification papers at any time kind of sounds a lot like what happened in the Krakow Ghetto pre and during WWII, with Jews being forced to wear armbands. The phrase "show me your papers" sounds so Nazi.

[/immature Glenn Beck style hyperbole]

I know the comparison is absolutely ridiculous, but the basis premise is the same. Profiling, no matter how much more "safe" it will make us as a country, is as un-American and as unconstitutional as it comes.

Pete Dahh Sneak
05-04-2010, 11:27 PM
How can rich people be so dumb... :pity:

NYY NYJ NYK
05-04-2010, 11:30 PM
:clap: good for the suns

G-Funk
05-05-2010, 10:43 AM
I know how Arizona can stop drug dealing, just assume that every black guy is a drug dealer and have rights to search their house and cars.

Iodine
05-05-2010, 11:13 AM
I'll do my best liberal Glenn Beck ridiculous parallel drawing.

Police officers being able to profile Latinos asking them for their identification papers at any time kind of sounds a lot like what happened in the Krakow Ghetto pre and during WWII, with Jews being forced to wear armbands. The phrase "show me your papers" sounds so Nazi.

[/immature Glenn Beck style hyperbole]

I know the comparison is absolutely ridiculous, but the basis premise is the same. Profiling, no matter how much more "safe" it will make us as a country, is as un-American and as unconstitutional as it comes.
I really love you

DaBUU
05-05-2010, 11:29 AM
Andaleeeeee weeeeyyyy

lmao

king4day
05-05-2010, 11:31 AM
Any word on if the Spurs will do the same thing? The Suns and Spurs seem to always play a game during the season where they both wear those jerseys.

braveniler58
05-05-2010, 12:49 PM
Nope, King4day. They were going to, but the shipment wouldn't arrive in time. Just the Los Suns, no Los Spurs.

arkanian215
05-05-2010, 12:57 PM
Will the Spurs wear Los Spurs tonight? Damn... nevermind.

RaiderLakersA's
05-05-2010, 01:37 PM
I know how Arizona can stop drug dealing, just assume that every black guy is a drug dealer and have rights to search their house and cars.

LOL! Love the sarcasm. Maybe a consideration for the next AZ state senate bill?

According to the US Census Bureau, Arizona has a population of approximately 6.6 Million people. 86% (5.6 million) of that is White/Caucasion. African Americans make up 4% of that, or only 264,000 people. Take away the professional athletes and the military, and they could problaby search all of the African-American owned homes, cars, boats, trains and airplanes in the time that it takes for the NBA on TNT half-time show to end. lmao!!! :)

Getting back to the sports topic at hand, Coach Pop articulated his support of the Suns decision very well. Los Suns it is!. Los Spurs will probably show up at San Antonio's next home game. As a Los Lakers. Los A's and Los Raiders fan, I stand in solidarity with both teams.

abe_froman
05-05-2010, 01:41 PM
"los suns"you say...well,thats seems like reasonable suspicion enough for me,round up the team and demand their papers

montafan
05-05-2010, 01:49 PM
thats awesome
this legislation is more racist than the chinese exclusion acts