PDA

View Full Version : Celtics GM Ainge seen tossing towel during Free Throws

D Roses Bulls
05-04-2010, 06:20 PM
this reminds me of the VDN flinch in away

INDEPENDENCE, Ohio -- A nuisance as an NBA player, Danny Ainge is still being a pest as general manager.

Boston's GM was spotted in TV replays throwing a white towel in the air to distract Cleveland forward J.J. Hickson at the free throw line in the third quarter of Game 2 on Monday night.

If it's it within the rules, hey, at this time, you do whatever you can to win. As long as it's within the rules.
” -- Cavaliers coach Mike Brown

Ainge, sitting in the first seat to the right of Cleveland's basket, is seen reaching behind the stanchion to grab one of the ball boy's towels as Hickson prepares to shoot. Ainge then tosses the towel into the air on Hickson's second attempt with 1:53 remaining.

At the time, the Celtics were leading 80-57 on their way to winning 104-86 and evening the Eastern Conference semifinal at one game apiece. Hickson made his second free throw.

NBA spokesman Tim Frank said he was unaware of Ainge's actions.

Ainge stood on Hickson's first foul shot but made only slight movements with his upper body. He then sat down and clapped after Hickson missed.

Cavaliers coach Mike Brown said he saw Ainge's towel toss.

"That was interesting to see that happen during the flow of the game, from Danny Ainge," Brown said. "If it's within the rules, hey, at this time, you do whatever you can to win. As long as it's within the rules."

Ainge did not immediately return a phone call seeking comment. Celtics spokesman Jeff Twiss said the team would have no comment.

Ainge was a fiery player during his 15-year pro career. He played for Boston, Sacramento, Portland and Phoenix before retiring in 1995.

http://sports.espn.go.com/boston/nba/news/story?id=5162355

Aapox
05-04-2010, 06:22 PM
Lol. Best reply on ESPN.com:

"This almost makes up for Sheed's contract. Almost."

surf and turf
05-04-2010, 06:27 PM
Just saw this. Although it is not a very classy move, it does not surprise me coming from Ainge. He was one fiesty player. Totally fearless. Lots of fights, my favorite was with Ralph Sampson. Somebodies eye got cut, i dont remember if it was him or Sampson but i remember him charging Sampson throwing wild punches. It must kill him to sit on the sidelines. I Think he was drafted by the Blue Jays as well so he is a exceptional athelete. But he has to remember his place is off the court now.

Ragun
05-04-2010, 06:48 PM
i dont find anything wrong with that.

kozelkid
05-04-2010, 06:56 PM
i dont find anything wrong with that.

Neither do I.
Just shows how much he loves the team.
I could see where people find it childish, but I see it as acting like a fan, something I'd love to see from owners and GMs.

SAM I AM
05-04-2010, 07:11 PM
this is a lame thread! / thread!

RC3
05-04-2010, 09:23 PM
:clap::clap::clap:

n83417
05-04-2010, 09:43 PM
Nothing wrong with it. Especially compared to the antics of Mark Cuban. I like it!

Miltown34
05-04-2010, 09:59 PM
I like it, that means he's not jus sitting in a front office or sitting down he's with the fans doin what they do

heathonater
05-04-2010, 10:02 PM
pretty sure an nba player can shoot fts while one guy throws a towel in the air. they shoot fts each night with 20,000 screaming fans waving towels around, so nothing wrong with what ainge did.

avrpatsfan
05-04-2010, 10:11 PM
If the fans can do it what the hell is the problem with him doing it?

Chill_Will_24
05-04-2010, 10:38 PM
At least its not another DRose thread from this kid. Its silly but theres certainly nothing wrong with it.

D Roses Bulls
05-04-2010, 10:52 PM
At least its not another DRose thread from this kid. Its silly but theres certainly nothing wrong with it.

kid? look at my age? bet im older then you for one, and for two ive had 4 rose threads since ive been a member. get a life dude

IndiansFan337
05-04-2010, 11:38 PM
I think this is a non-story too.

Why should fans be allowed to waive towels, but team employees cannot be fans & do the same?

D Roses Bulls
05-04-2010, 11:43 PM
exactly..... i dont know why they makin a deal about it

Super.
05-05-2010, 12:22 AM
exactly..... i dont know why they makin a deal about it

Your the one who posted it!

Obviously trying to get a rise out of someone.

This is a non-story

D Roses Bulls
05-05-2010, 06:21 AM
Your the one who posted it!

Obviously trying to get a rise out of someone.

This is a non-story

it was a story on espn.com god psd please make an age limit on who can post on this forum. we need a psd for kids cause some people are just...... not the brightest bulbs

magichatnumber9
05-05-2010, 06:43 AM
So this is what ESPN does, overreact and let us sort out the bodies