PDA

View Full Version : "We Believe" movie

ReJo
05-04-2010, 04:04 PM
It came out on DVD a couple of weeks ago
Has anyone seen it?
http://webelievethemovie.com/
From the trailer it looks like your basic Cubs documentary that has been made 100 times. Haven't won the World Series in 100 years blah blah blah. The fans are loyal blah blah blah. Wouldn't it be great if they won blah blah blah. Sprinkle in some interviews with players and celebrity's from Chicago and here ya go.

For those of you who have seen it. Is it even worth checking out? Is there anything new or interesting?

turnaround3
05-04-2010, 04:06 PM
Is the movie they were making where they had cameras following around the team for the entire 2008 season? Cause I'd definitely check that out.

PunkShizzle
05-04-2010, 05:01 PM
I saw it at the premiere downtown when it came out (not that it ever saw a theater again, until the Music Box a few weeks back)...VERY cool movie. Focused on 2008 but also the city and team as a whole. Brought back some great memories from that season. Just got the DVD - definitely recommend checking it out.

PunkShizzle
05-04-2010, 05:03 PM
As for it being standard far for a Cubs documentary I wouldn't agree. The Cubs gave them a lot of insight into the organization - was produced and had post production done by Chicago companies too. Much more polished and thoughtful than any of the other Cubs documentaries I've seen.

CubbieSteve
05-04-2010, 05:05 PM
I'll probably buy the DVD here soon. I forgot all about it, they picked the right season to follow, too bad there isn't a happy ending.

CubsFreek0680
05-04-2010, 05:52 PM
I bought it about a month ago when I was up in Cooperstown. It was a good $25, but i'd say worth it. Like some other said, its not just about the Cubs, it also has a lot about Chicago and its history. There were some unneeded parts, but nothing to substantial. If you are a cubs fan, theres no reason not to buy it.

chicagofan71
05-04-2010, 05:55 PM
I'll get it. For as long as I live, I will never forget the 2008 team. How great they were, the memories, and ultimately the disappointment. Forget 2003, 2008 will forever to me be the year that got away. I can say without a doubt I'll be teary eyed at the end of this movie

ReJo
05-04-2010, 06:20 PM
OK I kinda remember something about cameras following them around in 2008. Maybe I will check it out and stop it once I get to the part when the playoffs start.
I saw "Chasing October" which was awful and "WooLife" which was pretty good

Twan
05-04-2010, 07:55 PM
It's nothing compared to 'This Old Cub'.

Mell413
05-04-2010, 08:07 PM
I'll probably check it out at some point. I'm sure I will get depressed when I do decide to watch it.

StrandedCub
05-05-2010, 12:34 AM
I just watched it, it's actually pretty good. As stated a couple times, its as much about the 2008 Cubs team as it is the history of Chicago and the connection of the fans to the Cubs. They do bits on a lot of the players that were important to the 2008 team.

Though it gets sad when they talk about what happened in the playoffs, there are also a couple funny parts (Fukudome talks about English he has learned, players talk about Lilly's craziness) and just a MUST WATCH if you are a true blue Cubs fan.

Vandelay16
05-05-2010, 01:40 AM
I'll probably cry if I watch it.

LaToyaHawkins
05-07-2010, 11:37 PM
Honestly I'm not sure if I am emotionally prepared to watch it yet. It's just too painful. Even now two years removed, my heart is still broken. I'm bitter and jaded now. And honestly in some ways it took away my innocence. It was just a crazy summer, period. I was engaged to my ex and we broke up shortly after the Cubs were eliminated. I am not prepared to watch it yet -- if ever.

Acronym
05-08-2010, 01:57 AM
Honestly I'm not sure if I am emotionally prepared to watch it yet. It's just too painful. Even now two years removed, my heart is still broken. I'm bitter and jaded now. And honestly in some ways it took away my innocence. It was just a crazy summer, period. I was engaged to my ex and we broke up shortly after the Cubs were eliminated. I am not prepared to watch it yet -- if ever.

The thing that will stick with me forever is this:

If that team couldn't do it, what team ever could? They were the best in the NL, and it wasn't that close. They had great pitching. They scored runs by the boatload. There was no weakness on that team. The '03 team came out of nowhere and surprised people, but '08 was the best Cubs team I ever saw, and possibly ever will see. Before you dismiss that, consider this -

Our grandparents probably had the same "it'll happen someday" mindset that we do. It didn't. It never did. The vast majority of those people are dead now, and they never saw the club get truly close. Who is to say my generation will be different? 2008 was their best chance in 100 years and they squandered it.

NORTH10
05-08-2010, 02:05 AM
I saw it. In comparison to Chasing October, which was ****, this is much much much better. It's just more professional, a legitimate production. I enjoyed it...but wish it was 2008 again with that run.

ty_smitty21
05-08-2010, 02:29 AM

If that team couldn't do it, what team ever could? They were the best in the NL, and it wasn't that close. They had great pitching. They scored runs by the boatload. There was no weakness on that team. The '03 team came out of nowhere and surprised people, but '08 was the best Cubs team I ever saw, and possibly ever will see. Before you dismiss that, consider this -

Our grandparents probably had the same "it'll happen someday" mindset that we do. It didn't. It never did. The vast majority of those people are dead now, and they never saw the club get truly close. Who is to say my generation will be different? 2008 was their best chance in 100 years and they squandered it.

The 2008 team was amazing.. it just simply choked. And yes, 2008 was a much bigger disappointment than the '03 team. But you gotta remember.. this is baseball. The Cardinals had some much better teams that didn't win, compared to the 2006 team, who did win.

The Cubs team will probably look quite a bit different next year... with newer players will come the possibility of new fortunes in the playoffs.

StrandedCub
05-08-2010, 03:00 AM

Now I'll admit, it's basically pure blind optimism that keeps me believing that it will happen someday. But I also feel good about now having the Ricketts as owners. They are actual fans, just like us. They want this team to win just as much as we do. I believe that the next time that we go into the all-star break at the top of the division or battling for the division that the Ricketts will have no problem pulling off "the big move."

I could be completely wrong but it feels like that they wouldn't have a problem taking us to the next step if we were close as a team. Again, it is probably just pure optimism on my part. I have no real reason for thinking that they will do this besides the fact that I see them as real fans and expect them to act as such when the time comes.

That is the major difference IMO between the past and the future for this team. The ownership seems to be like its in the right place, well at least I hope so .

Shunoo
05-08-2010, 04:53 AM
I just watched it.

It was ok, but re-watching how amazing the '08 season brought some great memories back.

poodski
05-15-2010, 08:29 PM
So I just watched it. God damn it, its depressing. That 08 team was so ****ing good. So depressing going from that to this team.

chicagofan71
05-15-2010, 10:28 PM

It isn't totally the same thing, but the Cards had one of the best teams ever in 2004. They won 103 games IIRC and ****ing blew the doors off us and Houston, and both of us were pretty damn good. I'm sure when they got swept against the sox, and two years later that piece of **** team won it all. You just can't have that "if that team couldn't do it no one can" mindset