Toenail Clipper
05-04-2010, 01:44 PM
Nope, it's called a "power hop" too, heck Kobe Bryant did that

Chronz
05-04-2010, 01:45 PM
Why because he jumped off one foot?

surf and turf
He travels around 5 or 6 times a game but this was not a travel.

Jump Stop Lesson

when you jump stop the key is to land with both feet hitting the floor at the same time. This way you do not establish a pivot foot . So you can then lift either or both feet if you want. It is when he lands one foot first then jumps that makes it a travel because he is lifting his pivot foot. This cant be done untill you first establish a pivot foot which he does not do on this play.

Go_NUGGETS
No...These days it might be considered.....But I remember seein Scottie Pippen,Clyde Drexler, and others do it all the time in the 90s...I believe its called a hopstep.

mikantsass
Not if you are LeBron James.

Hawkeye15
05-04-2010, 01:50 PM

or Paul Peirce, who also uses this move. He just doesn't cover as much ground

Niro
05-04-2010, 01:53 PM

dude that was not a travel at all ;) lebron does travel sometimes but that was legit

n83417
05-04-2010, 01:56 PM
That was perhaps the worst travel i have ever seen. If not for the step he took before the "jump stop", it may have been legit.

It was not a jump stop at all. That was a "stop", then "jump.

He stopped the dribble, with both feet on the ground, then jumped.

That is traveling. Which is no loner called in the NBA

tredigs
05-04-2010, 02:01 PM
That was perhaps the worst travel i have ever seen. If not for the step he took before the "jump stop", it may have been legit.

You don't know what you're talking about. That is not a travel. Check the rulebook. You can jumpstop off one foot in the NBA.

iggypop123
05-04-2010, 02:03 PM
i dont know if thew new rule stern allowed relates to this but remmber the rule saying if you do a hop it is only valid if you do it off both feet, not initated by 1 foot, otherwise that looked like an obvious travel to me.

n83417
05-04-2010, 02:04 PM
You don't know what you're talking about. That is not a travel. Check the rulebook. You can jumpstop off one foot in the NBA.

Ok. Off one foot, sure. not off both feet

bigsams50
05-04-2010, 02:06 PM
He didnt travel.

tredigs
05-04-2010, 02:07 PM
Ok. Off one foot, sure. not off both feet

You can jump off both feet as well, makes no difference. This isn't a travel.

thescore53
05-04-2010, 02:13 PM
lol he looked ******** doing that

colinskik
05-04-2010, 02:13 PM
No, no travel ...

When I was watching this live I was sure it was a travel, and Reggie and whoever else was announcing (Marv?) were sure it was a travel because it looked like he took two steps then the hop.

But I can't even be sure he took one step before the hop after watching this video, it was that close. And even if he did, that's still legal. It's just that he makes it look so easy that everyone can't believe it's legal.

fanofclendennon
05-04-2010, 02:14 PM
Oscar Robertson and Elgin Baylor could have averaged 75 points a game if they were allowed to make moves like that.

And that's without getting into the liberal interpretations of the "dribbling" rules. But hey, it sells so why enforce it?

To answer the OP's question, of course it's a travel. He went up in the air and came down while still holding the ball. In the old days, that used to called "Up and Down." Loss of possession.

But again, it sells, right?

kEviN21
05-04-2010, 02:20 PM
Not a travel!

surf and turf
05-04-2010, 02:21 PM
Oscar Robertson and Elgin Baylor could have averaged 75 points a game if they were allowed to make moves like that.

And that's without getting into the liberal interpretations of the "dribbling" rules. But hey, it sells so why enforce it?

To answer the OP's question, of course it's a travel. He went up in the air and came down while still holding the ball. In the old days, that used to called "Up and Down." Loss of possession.

As long as your not holding the ball when you jump you are fine. Thats the point you are missing . He is jumping as the ball comes up from his dribble so when both hands do grab the ball, both feet are already in the air. No rule was changed to accomodate this. They use to call it a travel but when they looked back no rules were broken so they let it go. You cant tell the player they cant jump when they land. And they are not traveling as i mentioned because both feet are in the air. What r the refs suppose to do. I have a bigger problem with the 3 or for steps some players are given when driving.

ko8e24
05-04-2010, 02:24 PM
I know when Shaq was dominant with the lakers, in the post, he used to back down his man, go to the middle of the paint in front of the basketball by doing a little bunny hope, and would elevate for a big man jump hook. But, he did it all in one motion. What LeBron did was not necessarily a travel, but it was close to it. Had he not done the dribble and jump stop in one motion (like if he hesistated or something of that nature), then it would be called a travel.

If I'm incorrect regarding this, please let me know. But that's the only way I've seen players get away with it if it's in one motion without hesitation.

Rivera
05-04-2010, 02:28 PM
all of you saying thats not a travel are IDIOTS

when you do a jump stop that is considered 2 steps

what makes it a travel is the step he takes before the jump stop

im astounded by how many people think this isnt a travel

DAMN CRAB DRIBBLE

ldc62
05-04-2010, 02:31 PM
No its a hop step, but he jumped ****ing high. That being said, Lebron James does travel a lot.

TheKing23
05-04-2010, 02:40 PM
No, it's not a travel, and anyone who thinks it is needs to leave these forums until they learn the rules of basketball.

It's a highly exaggerated hop step.

colinskik
05-04-2010, 02:41 PM
As long as your not holding the ball when you jump you are fine. Thats the point you are missing . He is jumping as the ball comes up from his dribble so when both hands do grab the ball, both feet are already in the air. No rule was changed to accomodate this. They use to call it a travel but when they looked back no rules were broken so they let it go. You cant tell the player they cant jump when they land. And they are not traveling as i mentioned because both feet are in the air. What r the refs suppose to do. I have a bigger problem with the 3 or for steps some players are given when driving.
Amen to this.. That's what people should be upset about that almost every drive to the hoop a player takes four steps ... it happens all the time!! This was only one instance in the game. The Rondo ball fake was a much more blatant travel with his pivot foot skidding a couple of feet.

Rivera
05-04-2010, 02:52 PM
Amen to this.. That's what people should be upset about that almost every drive to the hoop a player takes four steps ... it happens all the time!! This was only one instance in the game. The Rondo ball fake was a much more blatant travel with his pivot foot skidding a couple of feet.

No it wasnt no where near as blantant as lebrons travel

a jump stop is 2 steps he picked up the ball took a step jumped in the air off that same foot he took a step and came to a COMPLETE jump stop thats 3 steps

3 steps = travel

now if lebron did that same jump and landed on one foot and went straight up with it im not callin that a travel but u guys are missing it:facepalm:

TheKing23
05-04-2010, 02:57 PM

a jump stop is 2 steps he picked up the ball took a step jumped in the air off that same foot he took a step and came to a COMPLETE jump stop thats 3 steps

3 steps = travel

now if lebron did that same jump and landed on one foot and went straight up with it im not callin that a travel but u guys are missing it:facepalm:

Your basketball knowledge is full of all sorts of fail.

dstruong
05-04-2010, 03:00 PM
legit

ShockerArt
05-04-2010, 03:01 PM

3 steps = travel

I think that you're the only one missing it. I don't see it as a travel at all. You're really nitpicking if you are trying to say that he took his one and a half steps leading into the jump stop. It looks to me like he's finishing the last dribble as he starts to take the first step (the exaggerated hop). That makes the two foot landing and subsequent jump shot legal.

madiaz3
05-04-2010, 03:02 PM

Except that he clearly was holding the ball when he jumped?

rocky4104
05-04-2010, 03:03 PM
thanks for explaining the rule.. i was pretty sure it was a travel until i read that u can jump off one foot and land with both feet for it to be not a travel.. i remember shaq doing it regularly, and saw brandon roy do it at times too but james just did it pretty high... it it was legit, i wonder why not so many players do it? looks like a pretty good move to me, considering the separation you'll get from the defender if esp you do it not jumping high vertically like james did but doing the hop horizontally..

maybe amare needs to study that move lol...

surf and turf
05-04-2010, 03:03 PM
if both feet are in the air when both hands touch the ball how is it a travel? That would be changing the rule. Its like if you recieve a pass that you have to jump for. You can land, and jump again. It is very simple. Maybe for some people who dont play the game it may appear to be traveling, or going to fast to tell the diffrence, but its not traveling,

Evolution23
05-04-2010, 03:07 PM
its funny when I saw that last night I thoguht for sure it was a travel but then I saw the replay and it was legit... People need to show the refs a lil more respect because they get most of the calls right even though they miss a few here and there.. Its only human error.

Go_NUGGETS
05-04-2010, 03:07 PM
all of you saying thats not a travel are IDIOTS

when you do a jump stop that is considered 2 steps

what makes it a travel is the step he takes before the jump stop

im astounded by how many people think this isnt a travel

DAMN CRAB DRIBBLE

No pivot was set....It was a damn hopstep....I've done it plenty of times in basketball games, i've seen all sorts of players do it since I began watching basketball.

Apparently you never played basketball to know the limitations on how you can move with your feet.

footballer2369
05-04-2010, 03:08 PM
nope...this is my go-to move and people love to call it a travel too, but it definitely isn't

surf and turf
05-04-2010, 03:08 PM
Except that he clearly was holding the ball when he jumped?

from the close up it seemed like it but you cant see his feet. From the wide shot it doesnt look like his right hand touched the ball untill both feet were in the air.

surf and turf
05-04-2010, 03:13 PM
the thing about this move is it is so easy to defend from the weak side yet noone does it correctly. You have a offensive player in the air that is not looking to shoot or pass. You know where he is going to land and when he is going to shoot. You have to jump late. On instinct you want to jump as soon as you see the guy leave his feet. You just wait for him to land then attack. Easier said then done.

Niro
05-04-2010, 03:13 PM
i used to do that move in nba 2k9 all day long if u had a got center/pf just press triangle and then go for the dunk...its legit!

SirCalvin81
05-04-2010, 03:14 PM
no sorry that was not a travel

JayAllDay
05-04-2010, 03:18 PM
This one is legit...

but most of the time he does this after taking two steps.
Two feet can come down together or whatever but it should never be the 3rd or 4th step.

Raph12
05-04-2010, 03:20 PM
It was legit, it looked worse in-game.

ShockerArt
05-04-2010, 03:21 PM

It's a jump stop. It's in the NCAA rule book and the NBA rule book. It's a very basic strategy that's been around for a long time. Players today are much more athletic and can cover more ground with it, which probably is why it frightens and disturbs you. Just close your eyes and pretend that you're still in the 60's. There's no such thing as jump stops, ipods, or color televisions ...

J-Relo
05-04-2010, 03:22 PM
no

Rivera
05-04-2010, 03:32 PM
No pivot was set....It was a damn hopstep....I've done it plenty of times in basketball games, i've seen all sorts of players do it since I began watching basketball.

Apparently you never played basketball to know the limitations on how you can move with your feet.

i know what a hop step is i do a hop step all the time when i play ball BUT

you CANNOT hop step after taking a step stoping on 2 FEET! it doesnt matter if no pivot was steps

i dont get how everyone doesnt see it tell me where im wrong

lebron clearly picks up the ball
then he takes 1 step
then he preforms his exaggerated hop step
and stops on 2 feet

2 feet = 2 steps then add the 1 step he took before that and what does that equal???

3 steps and last time i checked if u take 3 steps its a travel

i understand they dont call it in the NBA and traveling is pretty much legal but that was ridiculous

surf and turf
05-04-2010, 03:37 PM
2 feet does not equal 2 steps, thats why you can still determine a pivot foot as long as you land on both feet at the same time. I think this is where you are getting confused. Two feet landing at the same time is one step.

Rivera
05-04-2010, 03:39 PM
2 feet does not equal 2 steps, thats why you can still determine a pivot foot as long as you land on both feet at the same time. I think this is where you are getting confused. Two feet landing at the same time is one step.

a jump stop or hop step is 2 steps look it up

J4KOP99
05-04-2010, 03:40 PM
I didn't understand why people were making such a big deal about this yesterday.

It was not a travel. Doc Rivers and everyone else on the bench had no idea what they were talking about and mustve thought he took two steps before the hop.

surf and turf
05-04-2010, 03:54 PM
a jump stop or hop step is 2 steps look it up

And....what r u saying. It is two steps because the launch is one step. then the stop, then you can jump again. As long as both feet are in the air when the second hand touches the ball. Or if you palm it on the way up. Then it is traveling. Trust me, i have evaluated every inch of every dribble and shot of this game for 38 years. Almost to the point where it is a bit insane.

surf and turf
05-04-2010, 03:55 PM
I am a lifelong Celtic fan and i dont think it was traveling. Watching it live i did. I do shamefuly admit that. My eyse are not what they used to be

69centers
05-04-2010, 04:00 PM

Agreed.

It was 100% traveling. He picked up the dribble, jumped off his right foot, then landed on 2 feet. Absolutely against the rules.

0nekhmer
05-04-2010, 04:03 PM
not a travel. one of the cleanest hop steps you'll ever see. he literally jumped high enough to show it. guys like jamal crawford have hop steps that are hard to call

surf and turf
05-04-2010, 04:06 PM
not a travel. one of the cleanest hop steps you'll ever see. he literally jumped high enough to show it. guys like jamal crawford have hop steps that are hard to call

Crawford does it off of a behind the back dribble, that is just wicked.

ZebraCity916
05-04-2010, 04:06 PM
Hopstep.

Rivera
05-04-2010, 04:46 PM
And....what r u saying. It is two steps because the launch is one step. then the stop, then you can jump again. As long as both feet are in the air when the second hand touches the ball. Or if you palm it on the way up. Then it is traveling. Trust me, i have evaluated every inch of every dribble and shot of this game for 38 years. Almost to the point where it is a bit insane.

no if u know how to do a real LEGAL hop step ur first fought IE the launching foot is taken as soon as your last dribble ends.......then u stop and the stop is step number two

but that is not what lebron did

he picked up the ball

took a step then
preformed a hop step
then shot

thats 3 steps!!!!!

Pass Rusher JA
05-04-2010, 04:52 PM
totally not a travel it was just a normal jump stop!!!!
but if he landed with one foot first and not two at the same time then he would have been called for a travel.

BlazingInferno
05-04-2010, 04:55 PM
Good move......of all the times he DOES travel (4-6 steps) you notice this?

Boston Fanatic
05-04-2010, 05:06 PM
yea i definitely think lebron consistently but this was a great basketball move...im completely okay with its a move ive seen a lot of the greats do and its a move i see rondo use from time to time...so even though i hate lebron he should use this move all the time no one has the ability to deal with that move especially when lebron is so big and so fast opposing centers and power forwards would in no way be able to deal with the quickness of this move

SA5195
05-04-2010, 05:10 PM
He travels all the time

Ragun
05-04-2010, 05:12 PM
nope.

ManRam
05-04-2010, 05:16 PM
Not a travel.

And anyone who ever complains about the attention LeBron gets, look in the mirror. Any other player travels, or "travels" and gets away with it, no thread is going to be made in the main thread. Any player in the league puts his warmups on the floor in front of the towel boy, it's not ever mentioned.

Jays Claw
05-04-2010, 05:19 PM
I don't think so.

SteveNash
05-04-2010, 05:22 PM
Didn't look like a travel. If it was it was a very minor violation, nothing to get worked up about.

Jays Claw
05-04-2010, 05:29 PM
This thread should be closed.

There really is no discussion in here.

NetsPaint
05-04-2010, 05:48 PM
This SHOULD be a travel whether it is or not in the rulebook.

D Roses Bulls
05-04-2010, 06:00 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dm0k2rqEeJQ&feature=player_embedded

they call it a pro hop, but why the word "pro" is in the term is cause in the NBA is the only place you could really get away with it, if it was college, high school or any other organized league you wouldnt be able to get away with it.

Draco
05-04-2010, 06:45 PM
Lebron traveled... AFAIK a jump stop is a dribble, jump, land, collect ball, shoot. Lebron dribbled, collected, jumped, landed and shot.

vash9
05-04-2010, 07:54 PM
not if you are lebron james.

or paul peirce, who also uses this move. he just doesn't cover as much ground

lol.

Baller1
05-04-2010, 07:55 PM
There are plenty of instances in the NBA where a player travels; this isn't one of those instances.

Legal play.

fanofclendennon
05-05-2010, 12:07 AM
How is it legal to jump up in the air and come down without taking the shot, only to jump up again to shoot?

Have they changed the rules since I stopped following this farce of what was once a great game?

robdizzle3
05-05-2010, 12:18 AM
No, its not a travel, because he hadnt fully picked up his dribble before taking that first step. Lebron travels alot, but not on that one.

Super.
05-05-2010, 12:35 AM
I dont think so...

I pulled this move earlier today and got away with it

basketfan4life
05-05-2010, 03:07 AM
ıts the defination of traveling.

Patman
05-05-2010, 03:29 AM
Damn i really don't like LeBron for various reasons but that was clearly no travel. It shows in the slowmo that he gathers the Dribble on the right foot, takes of from the right foot and lands on both feets, then goes up for the shot without shuffling his feet.

Please the NBA has a Video rulebook where this exact move is shown. Lebron just jumps higher/farther then any other Player on this move.
For all the guys that think its a travel here is the Link to the Rulebook:
http://www.nba.com/videorulebook/category.html?cid=76

I can understand that this looks like a travel in realtime but the Slowmo shows you that it's legit.

ARMIN12NBA
05-05-2010, 03:35 AM
Not sure. It is so quick. First time, I said Hell no. I then slowed it down and noticed he steps with his left foot at the 11 second mark, then his right, and then takes off with his right for the jump stop. Somebody would have to clarify if that was legal for me. Can you take a step before you jump stop?

Edit: :laugh2: Should have watched the whole video first, the dude slows it down for you and takes you step by step. Somebody should check the rule book on whether that was legal.

JordansBulls
05-05-2010, 08:15 AM
Yeah, I brought it up because Barkley said that that is how Lebron can get great stats if he gets away with that.

Caps1989
05-05-2010, 08:28 AM
If they ever called him for traveling that would have to banish him from the game. The amount of tears that would need to be wiped up from his whining would stop the game too much.

Draco
05-05-2010, 08:38 AM
Damn i really don't like LeBron for various reasons but that was clearly no travel. It shows in the slowmo that he gathers the Dribble on the right foot, takes of from the right foot and lands on both feets, then goes up for the shot without shuffling his feet.

Please the NBA has a Video rulebook where this exact move is shown. Lebron just jumps higher/farther then any other Player on this move.

I can understand that this looks like a travel in realtime but the Slowmo shows you that it's legit.

Didn't know there was a videorulebook.. thanks for the clarification.

ShockerArt
05-05-2010, 09:03 AM
How is it legal to jump up in the air and come down without taking the shot, only to jump up again to shoot?

Have they changed the rules since I stopped following this farce of what was once a great game?

No, you just never knew the rules.

TheKing23
05-05-2010, 09:10 AM

No travel. There is video evidence from the NBA.

/thread

Hindy27
05-05-2010, 09:21 AM
Here in Australia we would laugh at the amount of travels in the NBA games, they always seemed to allow 1 or 2 extra steps compared to the rest of the world. We put it down to the 'showtime' factor of the NBA, allowing spectacular plays, like how the superstars get treated better by the refs.
I remember seeing Jordan get a steal on one end of the court, maybe around the 3 point line, and going all the way for a dunk and he took 1 dribble. It went, steal, 4 steps, 1 dribble, 4 steps, dunk.:D

This move by Lebron would be fine, no travel at all, even here where the rule doesn't have as much leeway as in the NBA. It just looks bad because it is a big jump stop, not a regular one.

Dolemite
05-05-2010, 09:48 AM
def a travel

BOSTON617
05-05-2010, 10:01 AM
are u guys crazy this thread alone proves u guys are on lebrons 8===D dude not only are the celtics coaches and players talk about it but the entire tnt cast i was listeniong to bostons sports radio yest mr anderson from tnt was on it and said he disagreed with that call compl def a travel doc rivers travel it was a travel he jumped on both feet trave or up and down get out of here lol!!!!!!!!

ShockerArt
05-05-2010, 10:25 AM
are u guys crazy this thread alone proves u guys are on lebrons 8===D dude not only are the celtics coaches and players talk about it but the entire tnt cast i was listeniong to bostons sports radio yest mr anderson from tnt was on it and said he disagreed with that call compl def a travel doc rivers travel it was a travel he jumped on both feet trave or up and down get out of here lol!!!!!!!!

You don't know the rules or the English language.

Niro
05-05-2010, 10:33 AM
why is this still a discussion??? check the rulebook

the last video shows the exact same move and look what is standing there:

This is an example of a LEGAL jump stop by an offensive player, and this is NOT a traveling violation. An offensive player may end his dribble by alighting off of one foot and landing simultaneously on both feet. The offensive player on this play gathers the ball, alights from his right foot, and then lands with both feet simultaneously on the floor. Note that at this point, the player may not pivot; if he lifts either foot, the ball must be released prior to that foot returning to the floor.

thats what lebron did *****es

edit: just saw that somebody already posted it

aZekuiS
05-05-2010, 10:34 AM

lol.

BOSTON617
05-05-2010, 10:35 AM

how you going to tell me i dont know the rules and i dont care if i dont know english :facepalm: cuz clearly you read it and understood ***** and yea even the officals made a statement saying he didnt have control but if u look he clearly did! you people crack me up im a basketball player myself i know what a hop step is that is not one he clearly traveled and if any player in the nba did that it would be a travel close thread

BOSTON617
05-05-2010, 10:38 AM
why is this still a discussion??? check the rulebook

the last video shows the exact same move and look what is standing there:

This is an example of a LEGAL jump stop by an offensive player, and this is NOT a traveling violation. An offensive player may end his dribble by alighting off of one foot and landing simultaneously on both feet. The offensive player on this play gathers the ball, alights from his right foot, and then lands with both feet simultaneously on the floor. Note that at this point, the player may not pivot; if he lifts either foot, the ball must be released prior to that foot returning to the floor.

thats what lebron did *****es

edit: just saw that somebody already posted it

bro i hate to say it but anyone can run three steps hop on both feet and score... its the nba that was def a b/s call

BOSTON617
05-05-2010, 10:41 AM
you know what i dont care i'll never win this thread to many lebron groupies but if pierce got away wiith it travel.... i just cant wait to destroy the cavs i dont even care about winning the whole thing i just want to destroy lebron.... you people are the reason i hate him as much as i do now at first it was cool now its ridiculous.... honestly the guy doesnt give a **** about u like your team not a band wagoner **** lol

holocaust227
05-05-2010, 10:54 AM
you know what i dont care i'll never win this thread to many lebron groupies but if pierce got away wiith it travel.... i just cant wait to destroy the cavs i dont even care about winning the whole thing i just want to destroy lebron.... you people are the reason i hate him as much as i do now at first it was cool now its ridiculous.... honestly the guy doesnt give a **** about u like your team not a band wagoner **** lol

What?

ballpd05
05-05-2010, 11:01 AM
it wasn't a travel. He just jumped higher than normal people do, but it was a clean jump stop.

kurivaimu
05-05-2010, 11:19 AM
When i first saw it i thought it was a definite travel.

After seeing the replays i have to admit it isn't a travel. I think it just looks so unnatural because Lebron covers so much ground.

topdog
05-05-2010, 11:34 AM
All a matter of whether or not you think a jump-stop is a travel. (Some refs call it as one) It looks bad because Lebron, as people have said, gets so high on the jump stop.

Patman
05-05-2010, 06:29 PM
All a matter of whether or not you think a jump-stop is a travel. (Some refs call it as one) It looks bad because Lebron, as people have said, gets so high on the jump stop.

No it's a matter of how the rules of the NBA see it and according to their own Video Rule Book it's a perfectly legal move. So there really shouldn't be a discussion.

Again for all the guys that still think it's a travel the link to the rule book, the last video shows the exact same move lebron did. The text to the video explains why this is legal.

Lebron just covers so much ground with a jump stop and a 2 step that it often looks like a travel in realtime, even though he sure travels on some plays this isn't one of them.

td0tsfinest
05-05-2010, 06:37 PM
that was a travel. No way that's a hop step.

fanofclendennon
05-05-2010, 06:45 PM
No, you just never knew the rules.

Of course I never the rules:

If a player, with the ball in his possession, raises his pivot foot off the floor, he must pass or shoot before his pivot foot returns to the floor. If he drops the ball while in the air, he may not be the first to touch the ball.

Since both feet were in the air at the same time and both feet returned to the floor before he passed or shot, I'd say that was a violation.

http://www.nba.com/analysis/rules_10.html?nav=ArticleList

Patman
05-06-2010, 02:03 AM
Of course I never the rules:

Since both feet were in the air at the same time and both feet returned to the floor before he passed or shot, I'd say that was a violation.

http://www.nba.com/analysis/rules_10.html?nav=ArticleList

Again watch the damn Video rule book of the NBA, which is a bit newer then an Article from 2001!

Just Please look at the last video and de discription, it's the exact same move Lebron used and it is according to the NBA legal. I don't know how you can ignore it. It doesn't matter if you think this should be a travel the NBA states that this is legal, so learn to live with the rules of the Game (NBA)

Again Lebron Gather on his right foot, takes of during the Gathering on his right foot, Lands with two feet. He doesn't shuffle his feet before he takes of again and releases the ball.
Exact Same move is shown in the 3rd video.

fanofclendennon
05-06-2010, 08:43 AM
I did watch the video.

In the proper execution of the jump stop, the ball handler took a quick hop step jump and then jumped in the air to shoot his jumper.

What Lebron did was drive to the basket, leaped, came back down with the ball still in hand, and jumped again to complete his shot.

Two completely different plays.

Jumping twice on the same play is a travel, or at least it should be.

Look, I haven't followed basketball for a long time. All I know was that back in the days when I did, this play would have been blown dead instantly, without so much of an argument.

Obviously they give players a lot more leeway now, which is one of the reasons I stopped watching. Playground moves like these used to be the exception until someone realized they help sell the game.

fanofclendennon
05-06-2010, 08:52 AM
Again watch the damn Video rule book of the NBA, which is a bit newer then an Article from 2001!

I think another problem I have with Lebron's move is that, unlike in your video illustration, Lebron's "jump step" seemed to help him change directions. I'm sure that wasn't the spirit of the rules.

But you know what? I've watched more basketball from reviewing this video over the last few days than I have from watching games over the last 10 years.

If plays like this are legal, you can understand why.

Niro
05-06-2010, 09:10 AM
wtf is going with ypu people...of course changing direction is allowed while doing a jump step, why wouldnt it be?

just take a look at the ****ing rulebook on nba.com and then you will see that there is no violation

just cuz some of you didnt know that it is allowed and think it shouldnt be doenst mean that its a violation

that move is legal PERIOD!!

many players do that move you can even do it in nba 2k10 and i am pretty sure in live too

BOSTON617
05-06-2010, 09:17 AM
everyone who thinks it was a travel its ok.... lebron james doesnt apply to the nba rules so / thread lol

fanofclendennon
05-06-2010, 09:56 AM
wtf is going with ypu people...of course changing direction is allowed while doing a jump step, why wouldnt it be?

just take a look at the ****ing rulebook on nba.com and then you will see that there is no violation

just cuz some of you didnt know that it is allowed and think it shouldnt be doenst mean that its a violation

that move is legal PERIOD!!

many players do that move you can even do it in nba 2k10 and i am pretty sure in live too

No doubt Dr. Naismith is rolling over in his grave.

ShockerArt
05-06-2010, 10:42 AM
I did watch the video.

In the proper execution of the jump stop, the ball handler took a quick hop step jump and then jumped in the air to shoot his jumper.

What Lebron did was drive to the basket, leaped, came back down with the ball still in hand, and jumped again to complete his shot.

Two completely different plays.

Jumping twice on the same play is a travel, or at least it should be.

Look, I haven't followed basketball for a long time. All I know was that back in the days when I did, this play would have been blown dead instantly, without so much of an argument.

Obviously they give players a lot more leeway now, which is one of the reasons I stopped watching. Playground moves like these used to be the exception until someone realized they help sell the game.

On any jump stop, a player leaves the floor completely while picking up his dribble and lands on two feet. Do you want the refs to call traveling based on how high the player gets on the jump (stop)?

comet_10
05-06-2010, 11:31 AM
no Travel!!! fair move, he is a superior athlete and he pushes the boundaries, if people get called for it when they play 2 reasons, you rarely land on both feet at the same time or you drag upon second jump, and more often few players do it so referees usually inexperienced and not up to date see a weird move and ASSUME a travel.

fanofclendennon
05-06-2010, 12:08 PM
On any jump stop, a player leaves the floor completely while picking up his dribble and lands on two feet. Do you want the refs to call traveling based on how high the player gets on the jump (stop)?

No. I guess I want players to not be able to jump up and down while holding the basketball. The minute they started allowing "jump stops" they opened the door for plays like this. Why bother requiring the players to dribble at all? Wouldn't the the game be that much more exciting if they could just run all over the court?

alencp3
05-06-2010, 01:40 PM
Thats travelling in Europe but its allowed in NBA i guess,Kobe did that in the past a lot