PDA

View Full Version : Coach Del Negro fired from Bulls

fairandbalanced
05-04-2010, 10:32 AM
Vinny Del Negro has been crucified as if he took a winning team and totally destroyed it. Isn't this the same guy that developed Rose and Noah into All-Star players. I can't recollect when a coach has done so much for a team but is still held as a scapegoat. The Bulls front office/fans seem to hate this guy, first they traded or let go every reliable scorer they had just to sign Pargo, aged hunter and inconsistent Murray. Not only did he get the Bulls into the playoffs, he also coached them to a .500 record despite injuries that kept his key players out in rough stretches during the season. Most people did not even pick the Bulls to make the playoffs but they did anyways, I think Del Negro may be over qualified for the Bulls coaching job just like Skiles was......their front office need to get their act together, they do not have MJ anymore and instead of continually picking on their coaches, they should look back at every crappy decision they've made and continue to make.

Del Negro is a top 10 coach in the NBA. nuf said.

Southsideheat
05-04-2010, 10:43 AM
Vinny Del Negro has been crucified as if he took a winning team and totally destroyed it. Isn't this the same guy that developed Rose and Noah into All-Star players. I can't recollect when a coach has done so much for a team but is still held as a scapegoat. The Bulls front office/fans seem to hate this guy, first they traded or let go every reliable scorer they had just to sign Pargo, aged hunter and inconsistent Murray. Not only did he get the Bulls into the playoffs, he also coached them to a .500 record despite injuries that kept his key players out in rough stretches during the season. Most people did not even pick the Bulls to make the playoffs but they did anyways, I think Del Negro may be over qualified for the Bulls coaching job just like Skiles was......their front office need to get their act together, they do not have MJ anymore and instead of continually picking on their coaches, they should look back at every crappy decision they've made and continue to make.

Del Negro is a top 10 coach in the NBA. nuf said.

This doesn't even deserve a response.

lakersrock
05-04-2010, 10:44 AM
To go .500 over two years, make the playoffs each year and almost take out Boston in one of them with such a young team that's had a ton of injuries, yeah, I'd say he's a Top 10 coach. I don't get this one at all. At least he'll easily get a job elsewhere though.

ElToro
05-04-2010, 10:57 AM
Welcome to the wonderful world of the Chicago Bulls' organization. As what Brent Barry have said years ago after he played for the Bulls: "You cannot Make chicken soup out of chicken ****."

They knowingly hired a coach without any coaching experience, & they expected him to become a Phil Jackson in two years. Another classic example of a reinsgoof proposal. Hahah!

hoopsguy820
05-04-2010, 10:59 AM
WOW, top 10 coach? No chance! I'll admit he was jerked around, but there were times throughout the season where he was making questionable calls. One is his minutes to D-Rose and not playing half of the 4th quarter. With that as well, always taking players out when they are heating up...for instence Loul Deng when he had 15 points in the first quarter on 6 of 6 from the field and VDN takes him out. Or the flex offense he ran, which I ran when i was on my 7th grade travel team. There were countless mistakes he made...yes due to his inexperience...but BAD mistake none the less. Yes i agree he was put into a bad situation. But a top 10 coach is mindboggling

Cubsfan365
05-04-2010, 11:04 AM
This is ridiculous. Whoever says Vinny is a top 10 coach clearly didn't watch any Bulls games this year because it is a blatantly false statement. The OP said he "led" the Bulls to a .500 record despite the injuries of Noah and Rose. This is wrong. What he failed to mention was the 10-game losing streak without Rose and Noah in the lineup. Not to mention the offense ran about 4 plays.

Pierzynski4Prez
05-04-2010, 11:12 AM
Popovich
Sloan
Phil Jackson
Larry Brown
Scott Skiles
Rick Carlisle
George Karl (when healthy)
Nate McMillan
Rick Adelman

Those are 9 coaches I would easily want to have over VDN. Everybody else doesn't really impress me too much more than Vinny, maybe Gentry,Van Gundy, Woodson, Brooks, or Saunders also. Vinny does draw up plays in the 4th quarter that I think my coach when I was 10 could have drawn up, but he is not too far off being in the top 10 given his circumstances. Top 15 would be a better category for him MAYBE.

But I also truly believe there are guys out there not coaching at the moment who are better than VDN also.

fairandbalanced
05-04-2010, 11:13 AM
This is ridiculous. Whoever says Vinny is a top 10 coach clearly didn't watch any Bulls games this year because it is a blatantly false statement. The OP said he "led" the Bulls to a .500 record despite the injuries of Noah and Rose. This is wrong. What he failed to mention was the 10-game losing streak without Rose and Noah in the lineup. Not to mention the offense ran about 4 plays.

And what exactly did you have for him to coach? Even Phil Jackson would have a tough time getting that team into the playoffs. Look at Ben Gordon under Del Negro, now look how wack he is in Detroit.

fairandbalanced
05-04-2010, 11:15 AM
Popovich
Sloan
Phil Jackson
Larry Brown
Scott Skiles
Rick Carlisle
Nate McMillan
Rick Adelman

Those are 9 coaches I would easily want to have over VDN. Everybody else doesn't really impress me too much more than Vinny, maybe Gentry,Van Gundy, Woodson, Brooks, or Saunders also. Vinny does draw up plays in the 4th quarter that I think my coach when I was 10 could have drawn up, but he is not too far off being in the top 10 given his circumstances. Top 15 would be a better category for him MAYBE.

:facepalm:

lakersrock
05-04-2010, 11:18 AM
Popovich
Sloan
Phil Jackson
Larry Brown
Scott Skiles
Rick Carlisle
Nate McMillan
Rick Adelman

But I also truly believe there are guys out there not coaching at the moment who are better than VDN also.

I'd take him over McMillan, Carlisle and Skiles......especially the last two.

clutchski
05-04-2010, 11:19 AM
He really didn't get along with management. There seemed to be a lot of trust/faith issues as well.

fairandbalanced
05-04-2010, 11:24 AM
Sloan.....Utah gave him the Chance Vinny will never get
Phil Jackson.......always had either the best player or atleast 2 super stars.
Larry Brown......horrible coach in my view
Scott Skiles......solid but Vinny is better
Rick Carlisle.....usually have good teams but never does better than previous coach
George Karl (when healthy)......holds the NBA record for losing in the first round
Nate McMillan.........only made playoffs 4 of 11 seasons as coach, lost in first round in 3 of those, lost in 2nd round in one.
Rick Adelman......bust

Vinny only coached two seasons and is already fired. Give him those guys longevity and he will be better than almost all excluding Phil Jackson and Sloan.

Cubsfan365
05-04-2010, 11:24 AM
And what exactly did you have for him to coach? Even Phil Jackson would have a tough time getting that team into the playoffs. Look at Ben Gordon under Del Negro, now look how wack he is in Detroit.
It doesn't help that Gordon was injured the majority of the season and Detroit has a terrible team. And Rose, Deng, Gibson, Noah isn't exactly having absolutely nothing to work with. Did you see Vinny's substitution patterns and offensive sets(or lack there of)...obviously you didn't.

td0tsfinest
05-04-2010, 11:27 AM
:facepalm:

What's wrong with Rick Adelman?

The guy is one of the most underrated coaches in the nba. He lead the Houston Rockets to a .500 season without their best player and a bunch of undersized big men.

fairandbalanced
05-04-2010, 11:29 AM
It doesn't help that Gordon was injured the majority of the season and Detroit has a terrible team. And Rose, Deng, Gibson, Noah isn't exactly having absolutely nothing to work with. Did you see Vinny's substitution patterns and offensive sets(or lack there of)...obviously you didn't.

Would another coach have had as much faith as in him like Vinny had? Put him under Riley and he'll ride the bench for 2 seasons.

Southsideheat
05-04-2010, 11:30 AM
1) He should be thankful that an NBA team gave him the opportunity to be a head coach without ANY coaching experience ANYWHERE EVER. To say he's over qualified is the dumbest thing i've ever heard.

2) To say he developed Rose and Noah is one of the second dumbest things i've ever heard.

3) Being a 7th and 8th seed in the East means nothing and gets you no where. Celebrating that is pathetic and weak.

4) Just because he wasn't treated with respect doesn't mean he should be the coach next year. They're two seperate issues that have nothing to do with eachother.

5) He had nothing constructive to say to his players besides "Hustle" "Get back on defense" "Play smart" "Rotate" "Box Out" "Hustle" "Intensity." I could get Richard Simmons to do that. Top ten coach my ***.

Cubsfan365
05-04-2010, 11:30 AM
What's wrong with Rick Adelman?

The guy is one of the most underrated coaches in the nba. He lead the Houston Rockets to a .500 season without their best player and a bunch of undersized big men.
Agreed. There is no chance Vinny is better than Adelman or Karl.

Cubsfan365
05-04-2010, 11:32 AM
Would another coach have had as much faith as in him like Vinny had? Put him under Riley and he'll ride the bench for 2 seasons.
Vinny pretty much had to play Gibson because Tyrus Thomas was injured for the first chunk of the season. The Bulls didn't really have anyone else to plug in at the PF. Once again, did you watch the Bulls once?

fairandbalanced
05-04-2010, 11:33 AM
1) He should be thankful that an NBA team gave him the opportunity to be a head coach without ANY coaching experience ANYWHERE EVER. To say he's over qualified is the dumbest thing i've ever heard.

2) To say he developed Rose and Noah is one of the second dumbest things i've ever heard.

3) Being a 7th and 8th seed in the East means nothing and gets you no where. Celebrating that is pathetic and weak.

4) Just because he wasn't treated with respect doesn't mean he should be the coach next year. They're two seperate issues that have nothing to do with eachother.

5) He had nothing constructive to say to his players besides "Hustle" "Get back on defense" "Play smart" "Rotate" "Box Out" "Hustle" "Intensity." I could get Richard Simmons to do that. Top ten coach my ***.

So, you're saying Rose and Noah's confidence had nothing to do with Vinny? You must be high on something. Well, go get Richard Simmons and watch him do what Vinny did.

Slimsim
05-04-2010, 11:34 AM
VDN was better than Mike D these past 2 years.

Southsideheat
05-04-2010, 11:34 AM
Vinny pretty much had to play Gibson because Tyrus Thomas was injured for the first chunk of the season. The Bulls didn't really have anyone else to plug in at the PF. Once again, did you watch the Bulls once?

I think that's apparent.

Southsideheat
05-04-2010, 11:36 AM
So, you're saying Rose and Noah's confidence had nothing to do with Vinny? You mush be high on something.

Confidence? You speak like VDN. No substance just garbage talk that means nothing. Rose and Noah were good before VDN, and will be good after VDN. So are you saying they're both going to regress as players once he's gone? Think before you post.

fairandbalanced
05-04-2010, 11:38 AM

Maybe you are the one that doesn't know much because he could have simply played Warrick.

DerekRE_3
05-04-2010, 11:40 AM
Sloan.....Utah gave him the Chance Vinny will never get
Phil Jackson.......always had either the best player or atleast 2 super stars.
Larry Brown......horrible coach in my view
Scott Skiles......solid but Vinny is better
Rick Carlisle.....usually have good teams but never does better than previous coach
George Karl (when healthy)......holds the NBA record for losing in the first round
Nate McMillan.........only made playoffs 4 of 11 seasons as coach, lost in first round in 3 of those, lost in 2nd round in one.
Rick Adelman......bust

Vinny only coached two seasons and is already fired. Give him those guys longevity and he will be better than almost all excluding Phil Jackson and Sloan.

And there goes your credibility. Stopped reading right there.

fairandbalanced
05-04-2010, 11:42 AM
And there goes your credibility. Stopped reading right there.

Let me rephrase that, you can't rely on Larry the cable guy.

Southsideheat
05-04-2010, 11:42 AM
Maybe you are the one that doesn't know much because he could have simply played Warrick.

We didn't get Warrick till the trade deadline. Gibson was already established at that time. Please, enough now.

DerekRE_3
05-04-2010, 11:44 AM
Let me rephrase that, you can't rely on Larry the cable guy.

True, I mean he's only taken 8 of 9 teams he's coached to the playoffs, most of them rebuilding projects. Sure, everyone knows he moves on quickly, but that doesn't make him a bad coach, because he's anything but that. He's one of the all time best teachers of the game.

ackar
05-04-2010, 11:46 AM
WOW someone been smoking the pipe early and often. VDN not a top ten coach however he is a serviceable coach. In his next stint he should improve. VDN was not going to take the Bulls to the next level to me that the real reason you let him go.

central2003
05-04-2010, 11:52 AM
In my opinion VDN had his ups and downs and i am sure he will coach again in the nba after a break but I think the bulls franchise need to get rid of john paxson because i am not sure anyone would want to work for him after a year .

Cubsfan365
05-04-2010, 12:10 PM
ARE YOU KIDDING? Warrick was on the Bucks for the first half of the season.

fairandbalanced
05-04-2010, 12:14 PM
ARE YOU KIDDING? Warrick was on the Bucks for the first half of the season.

and? The point is, most coaches would have taken Gibson's minutes away in favor of Warrick.

Cubsfan365
05-04-2010, 12:17 PM
and? The point is, most coaches would have taken Gibson's minutes away in favor of Warrick.
Gibson was already completely established as the starter at that point. No coach would bring in a role player and just throw him in the starting lineup over someone who is already doing a solid job night in and night out.

cheerio
05-04-2010, 12:57 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/chicago/nba/news/story?id=5159051

CHICAGO -- The Chicago Bulls have scheduled a news conference with general manager Gar Forman for Tuesday morning to announce the firing of head coach Vinny Del Negro, the team said on Monday.

Don't pity Vinny Del Negro. Coaching is transitory, but John Paxson had better get next one right, writes Jon Greenberg. Story

Sources said that Forman met with Del Negro on Monday. As part of the Bulls' organizational meetings over the past couple of days, Forman also met with other members of the Bulls hierarchy about Del Negro's future. Bulls chairman Jerry Reinsdorf spoke to Del Negro over the weekend, when the coach made an argument to keep his job.

Del Negro, who has one year worth approximately $2 million remaining on a guaranteed three-year contract, did not return calls from ESPNChicago.com.

Del Negro's firing didn't come as much of a shock to most around the NBA, but it was still jarring to some of his players.

"It's always a tough decision when someone gets fired," Bulls center Joakim Noah told ESPNChicago.com via text message. "I learned a lot from him and I got two great playoff appearances with him. Coaching the Bulls is a tough job; there are a lot of demands and expectations. I wish him the best. He's a good guy. With the way he developed the players here I'm sure he won't have too hard of a time finding another coaching job."

Noah, who said last week that he would endorse Del Negro's possible return, seemed to thrive during the embattled coach's brief tenure. Under Del Negro's watch the emotional center finally seemed to find his niche in the league. He quickly became a favorite of Del Negro's this season after rededicating himself over the summer and bulking up in the gym.

Noah averaged a career-high 11 points and 11 rebounds this season.

Though the focus will immediately turn to a coaching search that could include such candidates as Doug Collins, Maurice Cheeks, Eric Musselman, Phil Jackson, Jeff Van Gundy, Byron Scott, Sam Mitchell, Tom Thibodeau, Lawrence Frank, Dwane Casey, Avery Johnson and John Calipari, the Del Negro era goes out with something of a bang.

Calipari told ESPN.com's Andy Katz that he has no interest in the opening.

The Bulls' decision comes after ESPN reported in December that the Bulls would move forward without Del Negro, and six days after the Bulls finished 41-41 and were eliminated in five games by the Cleveland Cavaliers in the first round of the NBA playoffs.

It was during that series in which news first surfaced publicly that executive vice president of basketball operations John Paxson had a heated confrontation with Del Negro on March 30 over the playing time of Noah, then recovering from a foot injury. The argument resulted in Paxson pushing Del Negro away, according to sources, after Del Negro got too close to Paxson.

Team sources also said Del Negro had come around the desk of Forman in a threatening manner during a heated discussion earlier in the season. Del Negro denied both accounts but it was clear that a shaky relationship with management had become irreparable.

Del Negro enjoyed a margin of support from friends and acquaintances like Reggie Miller and Charles Barkley speaking on his behalf on the national broadcast of the playoffs, and also Bulls fans critical of the way the team strung out Del Negro's last months despite his second straight season leading the team to the playoffs.

Del Negro's tenure with the Bulls, sources said, was temporarily extended with the team's spike in performance after the Christmas holidays, when the Bulls won nine of 11 games in one January stretch, including five straight road games against Western Conference winning teams, and 13 victories in 18 games overall.

Del Negro's camp contended that he helped in the development of Noah and NBA All-Star Derrick Rose, as well as rookie Taj Gibson, while surviving a season rife with injury in the wake of high-scoring guard Ben Gordon's departure.

At the same time, there were those who said it was only because of Paxson's intervention that Rose was able to flourish after being held out of critical parts of the game by Del Negro. And whispers came from Bulls players who were less than impressed with Del Negro's leadership and coaching ability, and did not speak out emphatically in his defense in the last days of the season.

There were reports that Del Negro was taking statements from witnesses to the Paxson incident, and that the team had consulted its lawyers. Sources said that Forman met with all the principle parties in the organization over the past several days, but that the Del Negro-Paxson altercation on March 30 was not the main reason he was relieved of his duties. Del Negro wanted to avoid any lasting ill will from the Bulls that might affect his coaching future in the league.

fairandbalanced
05-04-2010, 01:17 PM
Where've you been? :facepalm:

lakersrock
05-04-2010, 03:45 PM

No, most wouldn't. Warrick has proven nothing besides being a role player. Gibson is Chicago's future PF as of this moment. You stick with the young guy that will be around longer....especially when your PG and C are also super young.

SANTHI
05-04-2010, 05:57 PM
I have no coaching experience or anything, but if you watched a lot of the Bulls games this season and last (which you probably didn't unless you were a fan) you'd see his flaws and mistakes and it was almost like torture when he'd give the wrong players a gang of minutes, or sub someone like Jannero Pargo (who has had a freezing cold season) in during a crucial stretch, almost as if he was TRYING to lose the game purposely with the control he had.

I don't think he's got a lot of plays neither.

and taking the Celtics to 7 games and making the playoffs last year and this year, I feel like was the PLAYERS giving that push forward.

I miss Scott Skiles though.

IversonIsKrazy
05-04-2010, 07:28 PM
Top 10 coach my ***

Pop
Phil
Sloan
Brooks
Woodson
Skiles
Larry
Karl
Avery
Doug
Hubie
Van Gundy
Rivers
McMillian
Gentry

Kakaroach
05-04-2010, 08:08 PM
I still think he got such a raw deal in Chicago. Made the playoffs after Derrick Rose had an injury that hampered him for the first few months, lost Ben Gordon to free agency, and then lost Tyrus Thomas and John Salmons at the dead-line.

But it was still obvious they were gonna fire him.