PDA

View Full Version : Stern Hoping LeBron Re-signs With Cavaliers

ko8e24
05-03-2010, 10:28 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/playoffs/2010/news/story?id=5160221

CLEVELAND -- NBA commissioner David Stern knows Cleveland fans are anxious about this summer and LeBron James' pending free agency. He is rooting for the same outcome as Cavaliers fans.

"Hopefully he'll stay," Stern said Monday before Game 2 between Cleveland and Boston in the Eastern Conference semifinals. "That's the way the system is designed."

Stern helped negotiate the current collective bargaining agreement, which provides teams the ability to pay more and add an extra year for their own free agents. Stern is hopeful that will allow teams such as Cleveland to retain its stars.

"That's the way it should be," Stern said. "It allows teams to keep their own players."

Stern awarded James his second straight MVP award on Monday. He is aware of the attention dedicated to this summer, but doesn't want it to steal the spotlight away from the rest of the postseason or this summer's draft. Free agency doesn't begin until July 1.

"We do have this thing called the Finals," Stern said, "and we have some great playoff games left."

Stern called James an "extraordinary" talent before giving the trophy shortly before tip-off to James, who won in a landslide vote announced Sunday. James is the 10th player in league history to win two straight MVP awards.

With the crowd doing its customary "M-V-P!" chant, James thanked his teammates and then reminded the 20,000-plus fans that his goal is to win a championship this season.

During a news conference, Stern said he is amazed at how James can shoot halfcourt shots with a simple flick of his wrist.

"I don't know how he shoots the ball so far so easily," Stern said. "You get the sense if you wanted to play H-O-R-S-E with him and it was a halfcourt line, he'd shoot 50 percent."

Copyright 2010 by The Associated Press

JNA17
05-03-2010, 10:29 PM
does stern call the shots on where lebron goes? No.......well....possibly....but MOSTLY NO! lol

Wade_County
05-03-2010, 10:36 PM
no suprise here

Ssshbliblibl00p
05-03-2010, 10:40 PM
Flunk the System Stern!

29$JerZ
05-03-2010, 10:41 PM
Well if LeBron were to go to a big city I'd say a lot of people would start the NBA is rigged/bias for big market teams/etc

Even though that's not too much of a stretch.

If LeBron leaves Cleveland they literally have nothing

Ssshbliblibl00p
05-03-2010, 11:00 PM
Well if LeBron were to go to a big city I'd say a lot of people would start the NBA is rigged/bias for big market teams/etc

His supporting cast is completely unimpressive.

JordansBulls
05-03-2010, 11:07 PM
This is obvious. If Lebron goes, the Cavs may end up having to move.

BaustinSali08
05-03-2010, 11:12 PM
This is obvious. If Lebron goes, the Cavs may end up having to move.

They will just get a number one pick in the next years draft, just like the bulls got one after Jordan left.

majmarcus
05-03-2010, 11:34 PM
THREAD TRANSLATION: Stern - "I will make certain that I not only promise, but deliver a championship to Lebron(My son) and The Cavs next season if they don't win it this year! {Which is a long shot by the way}Lebron is my Black Son and I must give him what he wants! Boston and Laker fans around the world, do not get your hopes up. Boston was able to get this one. But the Refs and I will get this thing turned around quickly...Lebron stays...end of Discussion!"

ChiTownPacerFan
05-03-2010, 11:51 PM
Obviously Mr. Stern is telling the truth. Why would he want Lebron playing in New York or Chicago for the next decade? He clearly wants the leagues best player stuck in Cleveland, which probably isn't a top 20 T.V. market. (Cue sarcasm detector explosion) Stern is lying, plain and simple.

Ssshbliblibl00p
05-04-2010, 12:02 AM
Nobody can argue how exciting it would be if he just bounced to NY with another all-star ahahahaha.

Just watching them struggle while he was dealing with whatever is ailing his elbow tonight, gives me hope he might scram. If he goes back, its just gonna be like "Dude why couldn't you have just resigned earlier?" He either is really trying to be very dramatic, or maybe he's really not sure he wants to come back to Cleveland.

He should just move the Cavs to Akron, he's bigger than the franchise anyway lol. Problem solved.

The Akron Cavs, doesn't sound that bad actually.

abe_froman
05-04-2010, 12:11 AM
Obviously Mr. Stern is telling the truth. Why would he want Lebron playing in New York or Chicago for the next decade? He clearly wants the leagues best player stuck in Cleveland, which probably isn't a top 20 T.V. market. (Cue sarcasm detector explosion) Stern is lying, plain and simple.

chicago has a rising star as it is,so would be pulling viewers in even if lebron or no other big star came.and ny...while everyone points out it being the largest market and all,i'm getting the feeling that he really doesnt like the knicks(he made comments to the effect of how the nba is doing just fine,even with them sucking;about week or two ago..basically saying we dont need them)

while cle is doing quite well with lebron and how they'd be non existent without him there

tr4shb0t
05-04-2010, 12:12 AM
NY already sells out games and they suck. They don't need Lebron there to sell tickets. Stern is just a business man and there is no economical motivation to have Lebron in NY. It won't happen. It's not a game it's a business.

akay47
05-04-2010, 12:26 AM
LeBron is already the biggest name in the NBA, he's universally known, I don't see how playing for the Knicks would change a damn thing. Michael Jordan played for the Bulls his whole career, Kobe played with the Lakers during his whole career, both weren't the with the Knicks. He's born in Cleveland, I just can't see him leaving the Cavs, he'll definitely be the most hated man in Ohio.

ko8e24
05-04-2010, 12:34 AM
LeBron is already the biggest name in the NBA, he's universally known, I don't see how playing for the Knicks would change a damn thing. Michael Jordan played for the Bulls his whole career, Kobe played with the Lakers during his whole career, both weren't the with the Knicks. He's born in Cleveland, I just can't see him leaving the Cavs, he'll definitely be the most hated man in Ohio.

Yes MJ played 13 seasons with the Bulls........and then after 2nd retirement....2 seasons with the Wizards. You said "whole career", so I felt I should have corrected you there.

Secondy, LeBron is not the biggest name universally, that honor goes to the great Kobe Bryant. We all know that. LeBron is NOT universally well known, and if people in China or London or SPain hear LeBron's name, there'll be a few claps here and there. When they hear Kobe's name, they go insane.

Proof.....2008 Summer Olympics in Beijing. Also watch for the Lakers pre-season game this Fall in Spain. And look for the 2010 Summer Olympics in London, England, when 34 yr old Kobe Bryant will be getting the biggest cheers as he goes for his 2nd career Olympic Gold Medal for Team USA.

lakersrock
05-04-2010, 12:46 AM
does stern call the shots on where lebron goes? No.......well....possibly....but MOSTLY NO! lol

Yeah he does. If they win it all, he won't leave. Look for them to get OKC type reffing the rest of the way.

SundaeBest
05-04-2010, 01:06 AM

Actually, there is a certain #24, who still has a better selling jersey, draws more tv ratings, has more championships, and has a bigger world-wide fan-base (just ask the Chinese).....so no I don't think he is :p

SundaeBest
05-04-2010, 01:08 AM
His supporting cast is completely unimpressive.

That excuse got old....2 years ago... try again :facepalm::facepalm:

tredigs
05-04-2010, 01:27 AM
That excuse got old....2 years ago... try again :facepalm::facepalm:

Yeah dog, the Cavs were STACKED last year! Mo Williams, Big Z, Delonte West and Anderson Varajao just screams "CHAMPIONSHIP!" to me. Some of you are such clowns...

Even this year, Shaq is a sorry shadow of his former self, and it's not like Antawn Jamison's the savior that some are trying to paint him out to be. He's a solid enough player, but the guy is 33 years old and has never even been good enough to help lead a team out of the first round of the playoffs until this season with 'Bron. It's getting a little old hearing from Lakers/Magic fans about how stacked this Cavs team is. It really isn't. Other than Lebron, it's incredibly marginal. Throw Lebron on the Lakers with Artest/Bynum/Gasol/Odom and there's not a chance in HELL of a team beating them. Lebron's enough better than every other player in the league that I still give the Cavs the edge over any other team, but it will not be easy.

Jumba
05-04-2010, 01:35 AM
Proof.....2008 Summer Olympics in Beijing. Also watch for the Lakers pre-season game this Fall in Spain. And look for the 2010 Summer Olympics in London, England, when 34 yr old Kobe Bryant will be getting the biggest cheers as he goes for his 2nd career Olympic Gold Medal for Team USA.

Olympics are every 4 years.

2008+4=?

So Kobe would be 36(I have no idea)? Unless their pushing the London Summer games forward to this summer. Which would be unprecedented and completely ridicules.

ZbuAtlCerK
05-04-2010, 10:11 AM

Yeah Sorry man but even if lebron does leave. we will have enough money to get a big time player. like dwade or mello maybe bosh. but lebron will stay

lakersrock
05-04-2010, 10:48 AM
Yeah dog, the Cavs were STACKED last year! Mo Williams, Big Z, Delonte West and Anderson Varajao just screams "CHAMPIONSHIP!" to me. Some of you are such clowns...

Even this year, Shaq is a sorry shadow of his former self, and it's not like Antawn Jamison's the savior that some are trying to paint him out to be. He's a solid enough player, but the guy is 33 years old and has never even been good enough to help lead a team out of the first round of the playoffs until this season with 'Bron. It's getting a little old hearing from Lakers/Magic fans about how stacked this Cavs team is. It really isn't. Other than Lebron, it's incredibly marginal. Throw Lebron on the Lakers with Artest/Bynum/Gasol/Odom and there's not a chance in HELL of a team beating them. Lebron's enough better than every other player in the league that I still give the Cavs the edge over any other team, but it will not be easy.

Too bad for him. Kobe was expected to deliver titles with VladRad, Brian Cook, Smush, Kwame and Walton as the major contributors. I'd say Mo, Z, West, Jamison and Parker DESTROY that group. So LeBronze, get over it. You've got a better team than Kobe had and nobody blamed it on the supporting cast, they blamed it on Kobe. You get the same treatment you mean to a kid dirtbag.

jfin
05-04-2010, 11:08 AM
what was Stern supposed to say tho? "yea I hope he goes to NY" no he can't say that. he has to say he hopes he stays to keep the Cleveland fans feelings up. but also it adds to the optimism for other squads

sventhedog
05-04-2010, 02:29 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/playoffs/2010/news/story?id=5160221

i'm waiting for a commissioner who'll be so honest and not biased to tell people how dumb lebron is. lol.

ldc62
05-04-2010, 02:34 PM
Stern says he hopes the FAs will resign with their current teams... but lets be realistic. What else was he going to say???: I hope Lebron doesn't resign. That would imply that Stern wants Lebron in NY. Stern is full of it.

ko8e24
05-04-2010, 03:08 PM
Olympics are every 4 years.

2008+4=?

So Kobe would be 36(I have no idea)? Unless their pushing the London Summer games forward to this summer. Which would be unprecedented and completely ridicules.

My mistakes Jumba, I meant 2012, but as you can see, I indicated the age of 34 for Kobe, so that's exactly what I had in mind (the year 2012). I guess the 2010 Lakers championship idea is just the first thing in my mind basketball wise. :)

Sorry bout that.

ko8e24
05-04-2010, 03:15 PM

So this is the bashing of LeBron's role players.

Ooh ohh, I can play that game...

Ron Artest: still good perimeter defensive wise, but in his 30s and not the Ron Artest of old when he was with the Pacers and Bullls, so he's lost a few steps defensively, and his shot this yr in the triangle sucks.

Lamar Odom: Inconsistent is what he has been labeled for career. Mr. Kardashian

Pau: All-star no doubt, 2nd option for Lakers, but everyone calls him soft :(

Bynum: Getting injured every 2-3 games

Luke: Luke

Sasha: Machine broken since Ray Allen took manhood in 08 finals game 4

Jordan: Big Ears, Low IQ, hates triangle, can't function in Phil's system and the idea of team b-ball

Shannon: Talent, athleticism, but jacks up way too many shots. The typical role player

Adam Morrison: BUST

Josh Powell: Poor man's Ronny Turiaf at a cheaper price

DJ Mbenga: Energy guy, gets blocked shots, but limited offensively and skill-wise.

But at the end of the day, Los Angeles Lakers will repeat as 2010 NBA Champions!

jskeet23
05-04-2010, 03:31 PM
THREAD TRANSLATION: Stern - "I will make certain that I not only promise, but deliver a championship to Lebron(My son) and The Cavs next season if they don't win it this year! {Which is a long shot by the way}Lebron is my Black Son and I must give him what he wants! Boston and Laker fans around the world, do not get your hopes up. Boston was able to get this one. But the Refs and I will get this thing turned around quickly...Lebron stays...end of Discussion!"

If he dont get a ring this year he will never get a ring wit the. Cavs if he stays

jskeet23
05-04-2010, 03:40 PM
Yeah Sorry man but even if lebron does leave. we will have enough money to get a big time player. like dwade or mello maybe bosh. but lebron will stay

Noone will come to that team everyone gets traded there why would those player you name come to that city why would you leave south beach for that you wouldn't do it yourself quit lieing to yourself

cmstophe
05-04-2010, 11:31 PM
Yes MJ played 13 seasons wi.. the Bulls........and then after 2nd retirement....2 seasons with the Wizards. You said "whole career", so I felt I should have corrected you there.

Secondy, LeBron is not the biggest name universally, that honor goes to the great Kobe Bryant. We all know that. LeBron is NOT universally well known, and if people in China or London or SPain hear LeBron's name, there'll be a few claps here and there. When they hear Kobe's name, they go insane.

LeBron has his own museum in China.

Does Kobe?