PDA

View Full Version : On LeBron James

philab
05-03-2010, 06:04 PM
AKRON, Ohio -- Perhaps the best-dressed man in the crowd of 3,000 at the University of Akron's Rhodes Arena Sunday was the person everyone was there to see.

Preparing to receive his second Most Valuable Player Award in as many seasons, LeBron James stepped to the stage wearing a sharp gray suit, a plum tie and a blue shirt along with silver cliff links that glittered under the lights.

As the fans chanted "M-V-P, M-V-P," the Cavaliers star looked as if he just stepped out of a Fortune 500 Company board meeting.

"That's just LeBron, he knows the right thing to do," said Keith Dambrot, the University of Akron basketball coach who also coached James during his first two seasons at Akron St. Vincent-St. Mary.

After thanking his teammates, members of his family and friends, he mentioned his sons -- 5-year-old LeBron Jr. and 2-year-old Bryce Maximus.

"You mean the world to me," he said. "I don't want our last name put down because of my actions."

Listening to that comment, Dru Joyce II smiled and nodded. He had coached James from the age of 8 through high school.

"LeBron has always been smart about avoiding pitfalls," said Joyce, the head coach at St. Vincent-St. Mary. "He didn't have to fall into the hole first to know it's a hole."

James has had a stunning season. He ranked second in scoring (29.6), sixth in assists (8.6), ninth in steals (1.6) along with averaging 7.3 rebounds and shooting 50 percent from the field for the Cavs, which had the NBA's top regular season record at 61-21.

But this day was about so much more than numbers, or the fact that James became only the 10th player in NBA history to win back-to-back MVP awards. It was about James coming back to Akron, his home town. It was about holding the event on the same court where he played many of his high-school games. It was about inviting the public in (free of charge) to share the day.

It also was about his mother, Gloria.

"My mother means so much to me," he said. "What she did as a single parent at 16 ... my two sons have parents, grandparents and even a nanny around to cook. How [my mother] did it by herself, I'll never know."

James didn't talk about how for the first three years of his life, Gloria and he lived with his grandmother. Freda James was a hairdresser, and she held the family together. But when James was three, she died suddenly of a massive heart attack. It was on Christmas Day.

That led to James living in at least eight different places by the time he was in fourth grade. Then he spent two years living primarily with Frankie and Pam Walker, a friend of Gloria's. He moved back with his mother when attending junior high.

Dambrot said, "Gloria really did a good job with LeBron, given all they had to deal with. And you can she how she loves being a grandmother to his sons."

"LeBron had been through so much so early in life," said Lee Cotton, who helped Joyce coach the summer league teams with James. He also was an assistant at St. Vincent-St. Mary for all four years that James played for the Irish.

"I met LeBron when he was eight, and he could have been angry -- but he was always a happy kid," said Cotton, who watched the ceremony from his home in Virginia.

Joyce remembered when he and James were being interviewed. James was a senior in high school. "They asked LeBron if he wondered why certain [bad] things happened in his life," said Joyce. "LeBron said he never asked, 'Why me?' Instead, LeBron said, 'Why not me?' He meant that a lot of people deal with problems -- and LeBron was never one to make excuses."

An assistant coach at St. Vincent-St. Mary during the James Era, Steve Culp also noticed that James stayed away from self pity.

"When things went wrong, he'd get very quiet, a little sad," said Culp. "He's smart. He was thinking about it. But he was not the kind of kid who lashed out, and a lot of kids who grow up in his circumstances are angry."

Men such as Dambrot, Joyce, Culp and Cotton have watched James mature, but they still marvel at his ability to hit the right notes in public with the same ease that he makes the proper decisions on the court.

"He has never been afraid to carry the torch [of leadership]," said Cotton, whose son, Sian, played with James in youth leagues and at St. Vincent-St. Mary.

Dambrot said, "He wanted to have the award ceremony at Akron, doing it in front of his people in his city."

James brought his entire Cavs team on stage when he was handed the MVP trophy -- just as he did last season. But you can go back to the night of the NBA lottery when Cleveland won his draft rights -- all of his high school teammates came up on stage that evening at a local hotel for his press conference.

"LeBron has made it hard for me to coach all these other guys after him," said Dambrot. "Not because of his talent, but he was such a great teammate, so unselfish. He respects his coaches. He just gets it."

http://www.cleveland.com/pluto/blog/index.ssf/2010/05/a_worthy_mvp_celebration_for_l.html

For some much needed perspective. Please don't merge or lock -- without the MVP mentions, the thread is novel.

Criticize the minutiae of LeBron James all you want. Just remember that a) our concerns with LeBron outside of basketball should be minimal and b) as far as life outside basketball is concerned, LeBron is a pretty good role model.

Many on this board have a habit of looking outside LeBron's game for criticism. That would be all well and good if this were E! or People Magazine. As PSD is not, it can become a bit ridiculous. When, inevitably, LeBron's non-basketball conduct is at issue, the critics have a nasty habit of neglecting the whole picture and focusing on specific acts or comments. What LeBron has become as a player and as a representative of the league under the brightest of lights ... it's nothing short of astounding.

But form your own opinions on LeBron. I have many criticisms both on- and off-court myself but also see LeBron in full view. With this thread, I would just like to offer some perspective to a board severely lacking. Perhaps this will abate the hate.

tredigs
05-03-2010, 06:11 PM
Yeah, you're absolutely right. It's interesting because PSD has a habit of homer fans glorifying certain players to a point where you will start to dislike a player for no other reason than you're sick of hearing about him. I have a feeling that this is the case for most of the hate on Lebron, but it's the polar opposite for me. I came on the site with a slight disdain for the guy just because he's a little pompous, and frankly kills my team every time we meet. But now that I see all the unjust criticism he gets while being a pretty fantastic role model for the kids all and all, I've come to defend him more than I ever would have imagined.

He's a GREAT player, one of the best talents the league has ever seen, and with that comes an ego. But I'd have to say that his ego pales to a lot of players in generations past, and a few stupid dances aside, he's about as ideal a face for the NBA as you could hope for.

GSW Hoops
05-03-2010, 06:16 PM
Haha, Bryce Maximus. He's got a bit of an ego, no?

Ovratd1up
05-03-2010, 06:27 PM
Not to sound too stupid, but does Lebron have an, umm, girlfriend, or wife?

DaBUU
05-03-2010, 06:31 PM
:rolleyes: Really?

Anyways, LeBron gets so much **** for nothing and it's quite sad. He's actually a better person than 95% of the league.

Link?

thescore53
05-03-2010, 06:43 PM
Not to sound too stupid, but does Lebron have an, umm, girlfriend, or wife?

hey i kinda lost that thing you said about canadians can you repeat it so i can quote you again

Miltown34
05-03-2010, 07:00 PM
he had a girlfriend I don't know he is going with her, which is his baby mama...she's nice lookin....a but this thread is good though because you get to see someone outside of basketball and is obviously seen as a quality person where it really matters. He takes stuff from a lot of people, but in life the things people criticize him for are stuff that really doesn't matter....I never hate on anyone, I enjoy people's successes, now people will see everything is not handed 2 someone.....People have this view of other famous people like everything is so easy, but until you know someone's story, sometimes the greatness lies within a man because of his struggle.

Miltown34
05-03-2010, 07:02 PM

yeah but he's instilling his kid trying 2 call him great, so his kid has high expectations

AirCanada15ORL
05-03-2010, 07:33 PM
No Lebron's still a dou***. You're wrong.
Him having one day of not being a do***e doesnst phase me or erase all the *ouchery he's committed.

TheKing23
05-03-2010, 07:54 PM
No Lebron's still a dou***. You're wrong.
Him having one day of not being a do***e doesnst phase me or erase all the *ouchery he's committed.

You didn't read the article did you?

:rolleyes:

ARMIN12NBA
05-03-2010, 07:59 PM
LOL @ best-dressed. His ensemble looked disgusting and had no sense of direction. The colors were simply awful and did not go well together. Whatever, the writer would have called Lebron the best-dressed man in the place if he was naked. Didn't matter. :laugh2:

tredigs
05-03-2010, 08:04 PM
LOL @ best-dressed. His ensemble looked disgusting and had no sense of direction. The colors were simply awful and did not go well together. Whatever, the writer would have called Lebron the best-dressed man in the place if he was naked. Didn't matter. :laugh2:

lmao at "the ensemble had no sense of direction". Jesus.

ChiSox219
05-03-2010, 08:07 PM

word

ARMIN12NBA
05-03-2010, 08:10 PM

For real though. I was at a get together to watch the Lakers play yesterday and one of the new girlfriends of the group who haven't yet been ingrained into our NBA obsession were like, "who is this ugly brute and why is he getting this award?" Then another was like, "plus, his outfit is ugly as ****." :laugh: Gotta love it.

ManRam
05-03-2010, 08:11 PM
Wow! A non-hate thread.

Seriously, the things that LeBron does that attracts that ire from people here is laughable. He is a great person. He is humble. He is well spoken and soft spoken. He always says the right things. He is loved by his family, friends and teammates. The only controversy circulating him is petty stuff, that 90% of every other athlete does, it's just he's just placed under the biggest microscope of them all.

The hate he gets is laughable. From some people here, you'd think he ****ed their girlfriends or something.

Not shaking hands after a disappointing loss- not a big deal, 75% of athletes do this.
Nike taking the video, per camp/company policy- not his fault.
The whole towel boy thing- hahahaha.
His ego? No existent until the media fell in love with him. Coming out of highschool, he was the most humble, soft spoken, quiet phenom possible. And what athlete doesn't have a huge ego? MJ had the largest one ever, was an abusive teammate, a poor husband and more money hungry than anyone else, yet he's a saint? Weird...

That's the best people have? LeBron is a great role model compared to the vast majority of the league.

ko8e24
05-03-2010, 08:15 PM
Well, I've already seen some negative comments about LeBron here already, so I might as well throw this in since it's been a while...

Kobe > LeBron

Enjoy the discussion mates! :)

ARMIN12NBA
05-03-2010, 08:18 PM
Seriously, the things that LeBron does that attracts that ire from people here is laughable. He is a great person. He is humble. He is well spoken and soft spoken. He always says the right things.

We are saying things that are completely untrue here, right?

ldc62
05-03-2010, 08:26 PM
:rolleyes: Really?

Anyways, LeBron gets so much **** for nothing and it's quite sad. He's actually a better person than 95% of the league.

No hes not...

rhaas74
05-03-2010, 08:34 PM

His favorite movie is Gladiator, so he pulled Maximus from there.

evadatam5150
05-03-2010, 09:17 PM
He's a GREAT player, one of the best talents the league has ever seen, and with that comes an ego. But I'd have to say that his ego pales to a lot of players in generations past, and a few stupid dances aside, he's about as ideal a face for the NBA as you could hope for.

Not really, it's good to put **** in perspective sometimes. And being that we have a running 3 month long thread on fake 1v1 matchups of Tyson Chandler vs Tony Parker et al, I think this one is as worthy as any...

I don't dislike James and I believe he's a fantastic player but to say that he's one of the greatest players or talents ever is a bit of a stretch at this point don't you think..?? When you look at the body of work, a complete body of work that some of the greatest all time talents have put together then I think you might understand what I'm driving at here.. Bird, Magic, West, Kareem, Russell, Jordan all epitomized what is great about the game and have not only the talent to back it up, but the numbers and Championships.. Does James belong to this group, time will only tell.. Is he at that junction yet, I think it's far too early to put him in that group of greatest ever but he does possess the skill set, the drive and the physical ability.. We'll just have to wait and see..

AddiX
05-03-2010, 09:34 PM
Welcome to NY, Bron.

You reached your ceiling in CLE, was a nice run. But your like a really hot girl in a small town with a loser boyfriend. It's only a matter of time before you realize how much more you can have.

sventhedog
05-03-2010, 10:36 PM
Wow! A non-hate thread.

Seriously, the things that LeBron does that attracts that ire from people here is laughable. He is a great person. He is humble. He is well spoken and soft spoken. He always says the right things. He is loved by his family, friends and teammates. The only controversy circulating him is petty stuff, that 90% of every other athlete does, it's just he's just placed under the biggest microscope of them all.

The hate he gets is laughable. From some people here, you'd think he ****ed their girlfriends or something.

Not shaking hands after a disappointing loss- not a big deal, 75% of athletes do this.
Nike taking the video, per camp/company policy- not his fault.
The whole towel boy thing- hahahaha.
His ego? No existent until the media fell in love with him. Coming out of highschool, he was the most humble, soft spoken, quiet phenom possible. And what athlete doesn't have a huge ego? MJ had the largest one ever, was an abusive teammate, a poor husband and more money hungry than anyone else, yet he's a saint? Weird...

That's the best people have? LeBron is a great role model compared to the vast majority of the league.

He is humble. He is well spoken and soft spoken. He always says the right things.????????

what kind of drug are you on? i'm not denying his talent. but seriously? soft spoken humble and saying the right things?

the way he said "i can lead the league in scoring every year if i want to"?? did he whisper it to the reporters? because i thought we all heard it.

"the scoring title doesn't matter" did he humbly say that? lol.

ok then. let me say the right thing. no offense to you but isn't that a little dumb for you to describe him like this? i hope i'm saying the right things. haha.

i won't disagree with you with the 'nike' thing or the 'towel issue'. but if i say that artest is a good, kind hearted man who loves fans and he has shown it since he entered the nba. am i saying it soft enough? am i saying the right things? lol.

lebron fans might still hate me for telling the truth but people thinking clearly would agree with me.

ChiSox219
05-04-2010, 12:10 AM
I don't dislike James and I believe he's a fantastic player but to say that he's one of the greatest players or talents ever is a bit of a stretch at this point don't you think..?? When you look at the body of work, a complete body of work that some of the greatest all time talents have put together then I think you might understand what I'm driving at here.. Bird, Magic, West, Kareem, Russell, Jordan all epitomized what is great about the game and have not only the talent to back it up, but the numbers and Championships.. Does James belong to this group, time will only tell.. Is he at that junction yet, I think it's far too early to put him in that group of greatest ever but he does possess the skill set, the drive and the physical ability.. We'll just have to wait and see..

Lebron is a lock for the HOF, even if he retires tonight with no rings.

evadatam5150
05-05-2010, 11:37 PM
Lebron is a lock for the HOF, even if he retires tonight with no rings.

Grow up.. I was being very respectful and as I said I don't have a feeling either way.. He's a great baller.. But if he finished up his carrier tonight I think it would be an absolute stretch to consider him an instance Hall of Famer.. I have no doubt that one day he will be that guy but he still has plenty of work ahead of him in order to get there..

hugepatsfan
05-05-2010, 11:46 PM
HOFer? Right now? I guess the HOF doesn't mean much to you.

hugepatsfan
05-05-2010, 11:48 PM
I still question him in the playoffs - he doesn't seem to understand when to be aggressive and when to be a facilitator. Great talent, but I still think he has yet to put it all together. He has time. I know MJ won a ring in his 7th season, which is what LBJ is in now, but MJ also had a few developmental years at UNC that put him ahead in basketball experience even w/ the same NBA tenure.

magicdouglas
05-06-2010, 12:05 AM
Men such as Dambrot, Joyce, Culp and Cotton have watched James mature, but they still marvel at his ability to hit the right notes in public with the same ease that he makes the proper decisions on the court.

You mean when he walked through the middle of the Magic dancers during their routine. Was that hitting the "right notes" in the most public of places? Did he not care that those girls also worked hard to earn their spot that night on the court in front of millions of people only to have the "mature" one spoil it for them?

Cry all you want over this lifetime network story, he's still a D-bag IMO!!!:speechless:

ko8e24
05-06-2010, 12:08 AM
It's only been 7 yrs. Let's see how he does after his 10th season, and then give him the nod for HOF.

clutchski
05-06-2010, 12:55 AM
I've always liked him as a player/person and I think if any of us were in his position we'd have the exact same personality. I call BS on anyone that disagrees.

magicdouglas
05-06-2010, 12:59 AM
I've always liked him as a player/person and I think if any of us were in his position we'd have the exact same personality. I call BS on anyone that disagrees.

:bs:

clutchski
05-06-2010, 01:02 AM
:bs:

yeah okay, let's make you the best basketball player in the world + give you many millions of dollars and a see how you act.

magicdouglas
05-06-2010, 01:02 AM

wow, how long you guys been hang'n out?

clutchski
05-06-2010, 01:04 AM
wow, how long you guys been hang'n out?

:rolleyes:

philab
05-06-2010, 01:04 AM
It's only been 7 yrs. Let's see how he does after his 10th season, and then give him the nod for HOF.

He currently has a 98% chance at the HOF according to www.basketball-reference.com. Not that any of that matters, but there are better estimations than just a few random opinions on PSD.

tredigs
05-06-2010, 01:09 AM
Grow up.. I was being very respectful and as I said I don't have a feeling either way.. He's a great baller.. But if he finished up his carrier tonight I think it would be an absolute stretch to consider him an instance Hall of Famer.. I have no doubt that one day he will be that guy but he still has plenty of work ahead of him in order to get there..

You guys are fools if you don't think he's a lock for the hall. He's a 2 time MVP. EVERY eligible player to ever win an MVP trophy is in the Hall of Fame. He's put up 6+ years of nearly unprecedented numbers... dude's a lock. That said, he's obviously just getting started, he's 25. Jordan didn't win his first championship until his 7th season, and he was older than Lebron with a much better cast. This isn't some make or break year for the guy.

kArSoN RyDaH
05-06-2010, 02:11 AM
in before close

ko8e24
05-06-2010, 02:48 AM
You guys are fools if you don't think he's a lock for the hall. He's a 2 time MVP. EVERY eligible player to ever win an MVP trophy is in the Hall of Fame. He's put up 6+ years of nearly unprecedented numbers... dude's a lock. That said, he's obviously just getting started, he's 25. Jordan didn't win his first championship until his 7th season, and he was older than Lebron with a much better cast. This isn't some make or break year for the guy.

Ehh, I dunno. It might not be "make or break", but it certainly something that will become a part of his legacy. This whole 2010 free agency crap that's been speculated about for over 3 yrs, and the fact that he may just have to win a championship in the Kobe Bryant era of basketball. Meaning that Kobe is his main rival, and while Kobe is (or close to) the top of his game, it would mean more if LeBron could get a title. So it's not "make" or "break" but this part of his career won't be forgotten since this is the part of his career where he is being compared to the great Kobe Bryant. LeBron may be the "best player", but Kobe is still the measuring stick, and LeBron has to set the new standard, and the only way he does that is if he can win a championship in the near future. Not like 5 yrs down the line even though he'll only be 30.

Ssshbliblibl00p
05-07-2010, 12:03 AM
The dude who starter this thread just wanted to say "Minutiae"

I hear how great this dude is everyday. All I care about is what he's doing on the court and where he's playing next season. His story is worth revisiting 20 years later when we can reflect on greatness and not so great moments.