PDA

View Full Version : Miami Heat extend Pat Riley's contract as team president; he hints at coaching return

ko8e24
05-03-2010, 04:46 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=5159192

MIAMI -- The summer of change for the Miami Heat might be even bigger than anyone imagined.

Heat president Pat Riley wouldn't close the door Monday on resuming his Hall of Fame coaching career, even after insisting when he retired two years ago that he was "definitely sure that I don't want to do this anymore."

It seems, at minimum, that's no longer a definite.

And the Heat offseason just got a bit more intriguing.

"I'll do whatever is in the best interest of building the team here. Period," Riley said. "Whatever it takes, OK? I'll let you fill in the blanks. ... If some free agent were to say 'I will come here but you must do this,' well, hell, if that happens that day, then I might have to give it some thought."

Riley says he has extended his deal to serve as the team's president of basketball operations. The Hall of Fame coach and team owner Micky Arison recently struck an agreement, but Riley would not reveal any details.

The priorities for the Heat offseason haven't changed, and by now, are well-documented: Persuade former NBA finals MVP and scoring champion Dwyane Wade to stay, land some marquee free agents and not only instantly transform Miami into a championship contender again, but lay the foundation for what Riley hopes can become his next dynasty after the 1980s Los Angeles Lakers.

The mere thought, however, of even the tiniest potential of a Riley return could just create that much more buzz.

Riley hand-picked longtime assistant Erik Spoelstra to take over two years ago, and Spoelstra has not only won 90 regular-season games since getting the job, but led the Heat to the playoffs twice. Miami exited in the first round both times as the No. 5 seed, but Riley said Monday that he thought Spoelstra "had a great year."

"I'm not thinking of anything but building this team," the 65-year-old Riley said. "If I were to leave the team and go somewhere else in a year or two from now, if I got tired of reading books on the beach, excuse me, the Kindle, I might want to coach again. I don't know. But don't say that I won't ever do that or that I can't do it. If I say yes or no, then you get condemned for it."

Gibby23
05-03-2010, 04:47 PM
He will coach again because they should have a good team next year.

fairandbalanced
05-03-2010, 04:58 PM
He will coach again because they should have a good team next year.

LoL....the guy avoids crappy teams, then fire the coach whenever he sees a championship window

ko8e24
05-03-2010, 04:59 PM
LoL....the guy avoids crappy teams, then fire the coach whenever he sees a championship window

I know, like what he did to Stan in December 2005. What an A-Hole :mad:

Stan Van Gundy should've had 1 championship already as a head coach.

awr0430
05-03-2010, 05:00 PM

true but can ya blame him....lol

Jonathan2323
05-03-2010, 05:00 PM
I would have no problem if Riley came back to coaching, actually i hope he does.

Evolution23
05-03-2010, 05:02 PM
Riley is a bum, I wana see him coach a bad team for once... I hope he flops as a coach of the Heat. He thinks hes gona get Bosh and then he will give himself all the credit for winning. Let me guess Eric Spolstra is gona be fired now?

Jonathan2323
05-03-2010, 05:03 PM
If he builds the team, why shouldn't he be able to coach it?

kjoke
05-03-2010, 05:10 PM
Riley is a bum, I wana see him coach a bad team for once... I hope he flops as a coach of the Heat. He thinks hes gona get Bosh and then he will give himself all the credit for winning. Let me guess Eric Spolstra is gona be fired now?

he did his last coaching year...

Ethix11
05-03-2010, 05:20 PM
Riley doesnt flop as a coach. He coached your Knicks and he coached the Lakers. I hope he moves Spoelstra back to assistant and takes over again, then leave when we suck again. Hes a smart guy.

fishfan79
05-03-2010, 06:13 PM
to be fair he gave stan a chance and stan let them screw up in the Eastern finals with a better team then the team that won it

marlinsfan24
05-03-2010, 06:44 PM
to be fair he gave stan a chance and stan let them screw up in the Eastern finals with a better team then the team that won it

This. And then we got off to a horrid start the following season. I doubt the Heat would have won with SVG ever.

Hoopsadvocate
05-03-2010, 07:29 PM
I know, like what he did to Stan in December 2005. What an A-Hole :mad:

Stan Van Gundy should've had 1 championship already as a head coach.

A laker fan shouldn't talk Phil Jackson is as bad if not worse at least Pat coached while teams were still being built unlike Phil who without a sure fire superstar (Jordan/Kobe) wouldnt even consider a team.

Hoopsadvocate
05-03-2010, 07:34 PM

Learn what your talking about before you post.

01-02 season after we shipped off hardaway and anthony mason (and Alonzo was gone)he still coached.

02-03 We drafted caron butler and had only eddie jones as our star and Brian grant as center. He still coached.

Not until 03 did he have enough and hand the reins over to SVG.

So he has coached bad teams.

godolphins
05-03-2010, 07:44 PM
No suprise here, if he gets a top player this year to team up with Wade I can see him come back to coaching.

ko8e24
05-03-2010, 08:43 PM
A laker fan shouldn't talk Phil Jackson is as bad if not worse at least Pat coached while teams were still being built unlike Phil who without a sure fire superstar (Jordan/Kobe) wouldnt even consider a team.

:faint:

Phil Jackson signed with the Lakers in 2005, when the Lakers finished the 04-05 regular season at 34-48. A worse record than the Los Angeles Clippers that season (as well as the next season). He came back to the Lakers after he had written that book, so Phil and Kobe still had some tension and uncertainty in their coach-player relationship. The Lakers just traded the Lakers 2nd best player of the 04-05 season, Caron Butler, to the Washington Wizards for KwaMAY Brown! They signed Smush freakin Parker as the starting point guard for 2 season.

04-05: 34-48

Summer of 05, Phil comes back, trade Butler for Kwame, sign Smush, and Phil tells Kupchak to draft that chubby 17-yr old kid named Andrew Bynum.

05-06: 45-37, #7 seed, lose in game 7 of 1st rd to suns

Summer of 06, sign Mo Evans, Vlad Rad, and PHil tells Kupchak to draft that dumbo the elephant from UCLA Jordan Farmar.

06-07: 42-40 (including a 7 game losing streak in the month of february or march, can't remember), #7 seed, lose in game 5 of 1st rd to suns

November 07: Trade Cook and Evans to Orlando for Trevor Ariza

through the first 2 weeks of January of the 07-08 Season: Lakers #1 Seed in the West.

3rd week of January 08: Bynum goes down, Lakers go 2-5 over the next 7 games and fall to #6 Seed.

February 1st 08: Lakers acquire Gasol and get back to #1 spot (which they had already with Andrew Bynum)

LAKERS BECOME ELITE for the rest of that season up to the current moment.

So he took over a team that didn't make the playoffs, Kupchak, before Phil could do anything with the trio of Kobe-Caron-Odom, traded for Kwame. Signing of Smush, Drafting of Bynum....

Midway through 07-08 season, Lakers #1 seed, then lose Bynum and fall to 6th seed, and then get back to #1 seed after acquiring Gasol.

Get your facts straight!

Jonathan2323
05-03-2010, 08:47 PM
WojYahooNBA
If Riley wants to make a move on Erik Spoelstra, he should do it now. Spoelstra would be a top candidate for Nets and Hornets, sources say.

J$mo0th_3o5
05-03-2010, 08:51 PM
I would loooooove to have Riley back as coach!

Wade_County
05-03-2010, 10:27 PM
IMO the only reason Riley would coach is so Miami could use him to attract FAs.

nikeking711
05-03-2010, 10:29 PM
I think he'll only be coaching the Heat next year if LeBron signed to come to Miami if he coached.