PDA

View Full Version : Definition of Bust

roshan3ai
05-02-2010, 08:52 PM
You've probably seen a thread similar to this before, but what do you think a bust is?

Like do you think that serviceable NBA players such as Raymond Felton and Marvin Williams should be considered busts because of where they were picked and who they were picked ahead of?

OG "Dee" LOCc
05-02-2010, 08:55 PM
Anyone who is picked in the first 20 picks and does not perform near or at what was expected
thats a bust.

tredigs
05-02-2010, 09:01 PM
Anyone who is picked in the first 20 picks and does not perform near or at what was expected
thats a bust.

I'd say that's a bit extreme, there's a huge amount of top 20 picks that don't contribute in the NBA significantly at any point in their career, so it's almost a calculated risk and to be expected that many of them won't pan out.

I'd take it a little further and say that any top 3-5 pick (someone who obviously had lofty expectations) that never developed is a bust. In general I'd wait for 3-5 years of regression or lack of development, ESPECIALLY if they were injured, to call a player a bust.

ink
05-02-2010, 09:06 PM
Bust:

1. a term used to quench the obsession of sports fans for failure in highly ranked players.

2. an opportunity for us to laugh at players we could never come close to competing with.

thescore53
05-02-2010, 09:08 PM
michael beasley

Bulls_fan90
05-02-2010, 09:09 PM
^^^You beat me to it....

ragee
05-02-2010, 09:10 PM
I'd say that's a bit extreme, there's a huge amount of top 20 picks that don't contribute in the NBA significantly at any point in their career, so it's almost a calculated risk and to be expected that many of them won't pan out.

I'd take it a little further and say that any top 3-5 pick (someone who obviously had lofty expectations) that never developed is a bust. In general I'd wait for 3-5 years of regression or lack of development, ESPECIALLY if they were injured, to call a player a bust.

I agree with this one... A lot of people have given this label to Bogut and Bargnani prematurely... I have to admit, I was one of those who said Bogut was a bust... Both of them proved all those people wrong...

bahama0811
05-02-2010, 09:15 PM
Michael Olowokandi

BlinkManJan02
05-02-2010, 09:17 PM
Kwame Brown

bwahahahaha.

Draco
05-02-2010, 10:26 PM
Failure to meet minimal expectations and giving little reason to expect significant improvement in future.

DenButsu
05-02-2010, 10:35 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zkn8mzXVEvQ

Ssshbliblibl00p
05-02-2010, 10:50 PM
michael beasley

X duece.

Although he has time to get it together.

Jonathan2323
05-02-2010, 10:54 PM
I Love how people doubt Michael Beasley. How can a 21 yr old be a bust after his second season when he flashes signs of greatness. I saw the kid every game i know more than people that watch him maybe twice a year.

R. Johnson#3
05-02-2010, 11:04 PM
Sam Bowie

effen5
05-02-2010, 11:08 PM
I Love how people doubt Michael Beasley. How can a 21 yr old be a bust after his second season when he flashes signs of greatness. I saw the kid every game i know more than people that watch him maybe twice a year.

Bust bro hes a bust.

cav_till_i_die
05-02-2010, 11:14 PM
Darko

Hellcrooner
05-02-2010, 11:14 PM
Its difficult to say.

I mean Bowie is considered a bust because Jordan went before him and so did Barkley.

But on the other side he had a solid career with god seasons scoring 15 and 10 rebounds

in a way he has had a better career than Marcus Camby who no one ever mentions as a bust when he was SECOND in 1996 taken before well you know, Kobe, Ray allen,Nash etc etc et.

Ssshbliblibl00p
05-02-2010, 11:22 PM

I question your definition of greatness. With all the hype he had coming in and the obvious flaws in his game like non-translated rebounding, no defense, suspect handle, and the inability to GET BIG or stay on the floor in crunch time.

As it stands, he deserves that "bust label"

Your not preaching to your cute little heat choir in here boy.

tredigs
05-02-2010, 11:24 PM
Its difficult to say.

I mean Bowie is considered a bust because Jordan went before him and so did Barkley.

But on the other side he had a solid career with god seasons scoring 15 and 10 rebounds

in a way he has had a better career than Marcus Camby who no one ever mentions as a bust when he was SECOND in 1996 taken before well you know, Kobe, Ray allen,Nash etc etc et.

In what world is a guy who averages a career double double + 1stl and 2.6 blks a bust? A guy with multiple All NBA 1st team selections along with the Defensive Player of the Year award who is still competing at a high level at the age of 35? I don't think you can ask for too much more out of a draft pick... and the fact that the '96 draft was insanely stacked can't go against another player for not outperforming them. That makes no sense.

And Bowie having a better career than Camby is a ridiculous statement.

Hellcrooner
05-02-2010, 11:34 PM
In what world is a guy who averages a career double double + 1stl and 2.6 blks a bust? A guy with multiple All NBA 1st team selections along with the Defensive Player of the Year award who is still competing at a high level at the age of 35? I don't think you can ask for too much more out of a draft pick... and the fact that the '96 draft was insanely stacked can't go against another player for not outperforming them. That makes no sense.

And Bowie having a better career than Camby is a ridiculous statement.

Camby to Bryant is as much ridiculous as Bowie to Jordan with a diffrence Bowie got injured cmay dos not have excuses.

Ssshbliblibl00p
05-02-2010, 11:38 PM
Its difficult to say.

Talk about insulting an innocent by standard
How is a perrenial blocks leader and former defensive player of the year who rebounds like a animal considered a bust?

Korman12
05-02-2010, 11:44 PM
A top 20 pick who completely sucks.

I think people too often confuse the term "bust" with "disappointment."

Patrick O'Bryant is a bust, Raymond Felton is a disappointment.

tredigs
05-02-2010, 11:45 PM
Camby to Bryant is as much ridiculous as Bowie to Jordan with a diffrence Bowie got injured cmay dos not have excuses.

Again, what world do you live in? You could not be more wrong.

Bowie was an abysmal defender who couldn't even manage to get it going on the offensive end. His PEAK year of 14pts 10rebs (only time with double digit rebounding) he shot 41% from the field. Not exactly something you want out of your 7'1" center. He sucked. Camby's career is better than Bowie's by EVERY measure.

Supplement that with the fact that he was taken ahead of MICHAEL JORDAN, arguably the best player to ever play the game, and a guy who was the reigning College Basketball Player of the Year. Kobe was taken 13th in Camby's draft, behind guys like Samaki Walker and Vitali Potapenko. He was not supposed to be as good as he is (though it took him 4 years to develop, where as MJ was an instant superstar). The Raptors made the correct choice by selecting the near guarantee success they would be assured out of grabbing the best big man in the draft, and the best defensive player in college basketball in Camby.

Hellcrooner
05-02-2010, 11:50 PM
yeah im sure Raptors woudlnt have bettr taken Kobe or Allen, or Peja, or Nash, or Marbury or even Antoine waker.... :p

DerekRE_3
05-02-2010, 11:57 PM
yeah im sure Raptors woudlnt have bettr taken Kobe or Allen, or Peja, or Nash, or Marbury or even Antoine waker.... :p

You should have stopped at Nash.

tredigs
05-02-2010, 11:59 PM

Ahah... well it might be a translation thing, but "bust" in English doesn't mean "a highly effective, perennial top tier defensive big man who was taken ahead of other players who exceeded expectations".

Hellcrooner
05-03-2010, 12:04 AM
You should have stopped at Nash.

Well marbury looked like the real deal for some time ....some years in fact an walker used to be an allstar? wich camby has still to be?

DerekRE_3
05-03-2010, 12:04 AM
Ahah... well it might be a translation thing, but "bust" in English doesn't mean "a highly effective, perennial top tier defensive big man who was taken ahead of other players who exceeded expectations".

:laugh2:

ryder78c
05-03-2010, 12:13 AM
if we are talkin bout players before other players theres alot of bust's

i'm waiting for someone to say greg oden....oh yeah he's young & beasley isnt a bust he could become somethen he's young

tredigs
05-03-2010, 12:15 AM
Well marbury looked like the real deal for some time ....some years in fact an walker used to be an allstar? wich camby has still to be?

Again, OTHER PLAYERS SUCCESS DOESN'T MAKE YOU A BUST. He was very deserving of that #2 spot at the time, and although he's battled injury, I think he's lived up to his expectations. He is anything but a bust. A team disappointed that they didn't draft Kobe instead of Camby? Sure. But that would fall much more squarely on the GM's drafting Kerry Kittles and Potapenko over Kobe than the Raptors taking Camby.

And as for Marbury and Walker, where are they now? Camby just got done with the NBA post-season as an integral part of his team, Marbury's playing in China and Walker is bankrupt playing in Puerto Rico. Lmao. Just stop, this is a dead horse, and I'm beating it.

ryder78c
05-03-2010, 12:34 AM
if we are talkin bout players before other players theres alot of bust's

but i gotta say Sam Bowie & Darko & Kwame Brown are the biggest bust's EVER but i think drafting a guy out of high school first overall was a bad move by MJ, Darko getting drafted before carmelo, even with a championship pistons team was a bad move, and the legendary Bowie over MJ was just plain stupid you pass on a Ncaa player of the year for sam bowie who played 1 season with prior injury history and a 10 & 9 player ahead of mj 17.7 5 rebounds a game the biggest bust worst draft pick ever....all because they already had Clyde Drexler

bowie had a mediocre career for that time riddled with injury but who ever decided to pick bowie over jordan is a idiot

You cant call young players bust's until they have a career you can look at

Camby over kobe was sensible at the time kobe was a high school player thats why camby was picked ahead he had a good college career

abe_froman
05-03-2010, 12:42 AM

this

oh and :laugh:@ croons for thinking camby's a bust..wow

DenButsu
05-03-2010, 12:53 AM
this

oh and :laugh:@ croons for thinking camby's a bust..wow

Yeah, I think it's pretty fair to say that any player with xxOY on their resume probably has safely dodged the bust label.

Toenail Clipper
05-03-2010, 12:55 AM
Busta Rhymes.

THE MTL
05-03-2010, 01:00 AM
I wouldnt label Michael Beasley a bust just yet. DAMN! Its only his 2nd season.

But yeah even those serviceable guys like Marvin Williams, Tyrus Thomas, etc are considered busts.

Now, guys like Kwame Brown, Darko Millic, and Michael Olawandki ARE SUPER BUSTS! Busts of the century type players LMFAO!

Hellcrooner
05-03-2010, 01:04 AM
for the record i dont think camby is a bust i just brought it up because many times players are called bust just takingon account who was drafted later.

Oh and there are worse things than Kwame and darko in the past, at least they are in the league almost a decade latr.

Not like Larue Martin for example and wow you need to look at some people like Stipanovich and Kent Benson.

Rod Higgins anybody?

People at least should still remember Danny Ferry.

roshan3ai
05-03-2010, 07:51 PM
Should players such as Marvin Williams and Ray Felton be considered busts?

unwantedplayer
05-03-2010, 08:05 PM
Bust bro hes a bust.

and an idiot

but I'm hoping he cleans his act up.

*Superman*
05-03-2010, 08:08 PM
Has anyone even said Adam Morrison yet!!!???

The biggest bust that I can remember.

central2003
05-03-2010, 08:21 PM
to me what defines a bust is a player who is surrounded with too much hype or dosnt live up to his expectations ... that means even if they played one year and made 30+ pts but got injured the next and was unable to cont play at that level or play at all should be considered a bust kind of like how i consider greg oden a poss bust the guy will never live up to his number 1 pick status because he keeps getting injured .

netsgiantsyanks
05-03-2010, 08:22 PM
michael olawakandi hahahahahah i still remember watchin him one game and was like "what kinda stupid name is that" then i found out he was a #1 overall pick and had a asthma attack

netsgiantsyanks
05-03-2010, 08:24 PM
[QUOTE=*Superman12*;13196532]Has anyone even said Adam Morrison yet!!!???

The biggest bust that I can remember.[/QUOTE

ha he was a #3 right? thats just sad

BlazingInferno
05-03-2010, 08:41 PM
Sam Bowie

Come on.....1986-1987 season! He averaged 16 points in an amazing 5 games with Portland!