PDA

View Full Version : Are teams too soft on Bynum and Gasol?

RipVW
05-02-2010, 04:47 PM
They play off each other very effectively. And one of the reasons is that not a lot of teams have 2 7 fters. When I see people play against the Lakers, I see a lot of missed shots from point blank out of fear of being blocked.

And it occurs to me, what are the two ways you can make people miss point blank shots? One is to make people fear their shot will be blocked. The other way is to make people anticipate contact so they rush shots. So then, should teams give more hard fouls (even risking flagrants) to try to even this out and make the Laker bigs rush shots in reaction to anticipating hard contact?

Jahari Kavi
05-02-2010, 04:48 PM
Yes they do....even though they are 7 footers you can still push them around....the rockets front line proved this last year......

heathonater
05-02-2010, 05:04 PM
the problem is that not many teams in the nba have 2 7 footers in their front court. kind of difficult to push bynum and gasol around when your frontcourt is much smaller. can blame the lack of quality big men in today's nba for that.

RipVW
05-02-2010, 05:10 PM
the problem is that not many teams in the nba have 2 7 footers in their front court. kind of difficult to push bynum and gasol around when your frontcourt is much smaller. can blame the lack of quality big men in today's nba for that.

You dont have to be 7 ft tall to nudge them in the back with an elbow when they go up for a shot.

Jahari Kavi
05-02-2010, 05:24 PM
You dont have to be 7 ft tall to nudge them in the back with an elbow when they go up for a shot.

exactly...this is why chuck hayes, scola, and landry did well against them.....lack of size doesn't mean you can't get physical with a guy down low.....ask charles barkley and dennis rodman............

RipVW
05-02-2010, 05:33 PM
exactly...this is why chuck hayes, scola, and landry did well against them.....lack of size doesn't mean you can't get physical with a guy down low.....ask charles barkley and dennis rodman............

It seems like a lost art. You can nudge people, put your foot under theirs when they go up for a shot, etc. It seems like most teams do nothing.

Hawkeye15
05-02-2010, 05:35 PM
yes, you need to be physical with them. You will get some shots blocked, but they are both not fond of major contact. Neither takes many charges, they always challenge, so I would think taking your chances trying to move them with the lower body and get them in position where they either have to block it or foul you is the best way

Reversed86Curse
05-02-2010, 05:39 PM

Barkley had 50 lbs on most C's he faced, let alone PF's. He was effective because he could belly his way around.

I agree though, most teams PF's and C's could easily out body these two but don't, not sure why

ldc62
05-02-2010, 05:49 PM
Barkley had 50 lbs on most C's he faced, let alone PF's. He was effective because he could belly his way around.

I agree though, most teams PF's and C's could easily out body these two but don't, not sure why

lol perfect use of that adjective. Good example because Charles was undersized (height wise) but was still able to push bigger guys around.

Jahari Kavi
05-02-2010, 06:19 PM
it's all about how you use your body