PDA

View Full Version : Kidd Skips Final Team Meeting

*Superman*
05-02-2010, 01:18 PM
Mavericks point guard Jason Kidd didn't attend the team's end-of-season meetings on Friday, instead going home to Phoenix early.

Kidd was the only player absent from the meetings.

Dallas became the first No. 2 seed in NBA history to lose a first-round best-of-seven series when they fell to San Antonio on Thursday night.

"No, it's not surprising," coach Rick Carlisle said of Kidd's absence.

"Look, he's gone. He went back to Phoenix, I think to get away from it and do some personal things, and so I got no problem with that."

At the beginning of the series, Kidd struggled with the flu and he ended it was a subpar performance in Game 6.

"He may well have been affected," Carlisle said. "He would not want to use anything as an excuse, I know that. But when you get into a series that is played at such a high level, every ounce of energy you can muster is always going to help.

"Again, he poured his heart into this thing, really since I've walked in the door here and been involved."

http://sports.espn.go.com/dallas/news/story?id=5152111

Do you have a problem with him skipping the final meeting, considering he was the only one not to go and him being a leader to the team(Besides Dirk)

GodsSon
05-02-2010, 01:32 PM
Sort of...it does send a negative message to the rest of the team, especially since he is one of their leaders; however, if he gets fined it should remedy the situation

*Superman*
05-02-2010, 01:37 PM
Carlise seemed like he was fine with it.

Shows how upset and frustrated he was.(Kidd)

JasonJohnHorn
05-02-2010, 01:41 PM
I have a great respect for Kidd as a player, and when a player who puts everything into the game and comes out a 100%, and chases down every lose ball, and continues to improve his game, even into his late 30's, it takes a lot out of you. I am sure Kidd was very disapointed with the loss, maybe he blames himself, maybe he is refelcting on his career as he is on the tail end of his career and his chances are dwindling, and maybe he has some personal things he wants to get back to after a long season.

It may not be the best thing for the team, but I cant imagine it would be a happy meeting, and we all respond differently to situations. Guys like Dirk, Butler, Marion, they each have a few years left to try and win a title and they all have contracts up in a couple years and can jump ship to chase a ring elsewhere. Kidd is locked down to the Mavs until the end of his career and outside of basketball I'm sure he has other things going on in his life.

So I can easily understand wanting to get home and spend time with his family and want to get away from basketball for the summer.

GodsSon
05-02-2010, 01:41 PM
Carlise seemed like he was fine with it.

Shows how upset and frustrated he was.(Kidd)

It would be a mistake to not fine him, I mean, what kind of example does that set for their younger players going forward?...Kidd is obviously upset and frustrated, and understandably so, but you can't skip team meetings because the season ended prematurely

*Superman*
05-02-2010, 01:45 PM
It would be a mistake to not fine him, I mean, what kind of example does that set for their younger players going forward?...Kidd is obviously upset and frustrated, and understandably so, but you can't skip team meetings because the season ended prematurely

This was his 16th season though, it's not like he was a rookie that skipped the meeting. I think they will fine him, but just because they were "supposed to".

*Superman*
05-02-2010, 01:46 PM
I have a great respect for Kidd as a player, and when a player who puts everything into the game and comes out a 100%, and chases down every lose ball, and continues to improve his game, even into his late 30's, it takes a lot out of you. I am sure Kidd was very disapointed with the loss, maybe he blames himself, maybe he is refelcting on his career as he is on the tail end of his career and his chances are dwindling, and maybe he has some personal things he wants to get back to after a long season.

It may not be the best thing for the team, but I cant imagine it would be a happy meeting, and we all respond differently to situations. Guys like Dirk, Butler, Marion, they each have a few years left to try and win a title and they all have contracts up in a couple years and can jump ship to chase a ring elsewhere. Kidd is locked down to the Mavs until the end of his career and outside of basketball I'm sure he has other things going on in his life.

So I can easily understand wanting to get home and spend time with his family and want to get away from basketball for the summer.

I agree. :clap:

GodsSon
05-02-2010, 01:50 PM
This was his 16th season though, it's not like he was a rookie that skipped the meeting. I think they will fine him, but just because they were "supposed to".

Does that make it any better though? He's an experienced vet who rightfully gets respect around the L...with that said, he is still a member of the team and should have been there despite being frustrated...I agree they will fine him because they "have to"

Avenged
05-02-2010, 01:52 PM
The coach has no problem with it so it's not a big deal.

The Mavs had so much expectations and were one of the favorites to win the championship so it's not surprising Kidd skipped the meeting. Disappointment will do that to you.

wileyisTOFU
05-02-2010, 01:55 PM
meetings suck anyway

SA5195
05-02-2010, 01:55 PM
No big deal if the coach says it's fine.

But this isn't Kidd's character. He's probably pissed (obviously)

Slimsim
05-02-2010, 02:29 PM
If this was LBJ we would be calling him a bad team mate/Leader and that he's a Douche bag. Anyone lese it ok as long as it not LBJ/Kobe

junion
05-02-2010, 02:37 PM
the coach might not have a problem with it, and the players might not even care, but when you have a TEAM meeting, it can't be as effective of a meeting as if kidd was there. unless the meeting consists of the coach telling the players things, while the players don't give feedback, then it's not going to be a good meeting. maybe players want to talk to kidd and kidd would talk to players and they can talk things out together - if kidd isn't there, this kind of communication won't happen.

JiffyMix88
05-02-2010, 03:14 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nUTnhP3vECY&feature=related

Cracka2HI!
05-02-2010, 03:18 PM
I wonder if he is considering retirement?

spoonhoops
05-02-2010, 03:30 PM
With Kidd being a team leader and role model for the young players, it is very disrespectful for Kidd to miss the last team meeting, especially with Kidd expected to be in a Mavs uniform next season.

J-Relo
05-02-2010, 03:49 PM
wow not enough hate on Lebron so you go at some others too? even at the player with such a great personality?

iFYouSeekAmy
05-02-2010, 03:59 PM
Probably pimping back home.

blacknell
05-02-2010, 04:09 PM
o well next season

RaysFan
05-02-2010, 04:10 PM
Over the last 5 years he has easily been one of the most overrated players in basketball. He should have gone to the meeting, assuming he actually views himself as a team leader.

ldc62
05-02-2010, 04:19 PM
If the coach says its fine then w.e. Also why have a final team meeting? Seems pointless to me when they are outta the playoffs.

RadiantShot
05-02-2010, 05:27 PM
I think he should've gone to the meeting. I also disagree with the validity of Carlisle's statement. With that being said though, Jason Kidd didn't do anything malicious, he just didn't show up. I don't really see that big of a deal I guess..

Reversed86Curse
05-02-2010, 05:30 PM
It sets a bad example for the younger teammates but if the coach is fine with it, then not that big of a deal