PDA

View Full Version : Major League Leader in Career ERA for the Month of May

turnaround3
05-02-2010, 12:55 AM
It's Carlos Zambrano at 2.40

Yes, I'm very well aware standard ERA is not that well received around here, and at times neither is Z...fair enough.

I just saw this stat on BBTN and was kind of amazed, never would've guessed it. So if May is traditionally the time of the year where Zambrano really gets it going, how many days of this oh so precious month are we going to let him waste away in the pen?

Are we really waiting on Bell/whoever else? Is Cashner an option? How does everyone see this playing out? And does anyone care about this particular stat? (C'mon, it's atleast a LITTLE interesting)

Doogolas
05-02-2010, 12:57 AM
Well that's intriguing. Hahaha.

RedHeadsRule
05-02-2010, 01:01 AM
Yeah, I saw this. Definitely surprised me...pretty interesting. I'm gonna guess that once Caridad comes back (which I think is pretty soon), Z will go back to the rotation and Hendry will continue to explore a trade for a relief pitcher.

shrek
05-02-2010, 04:25 AM
so big Z leads every single team in the league or just the cubs pitching staff? I am confused on that one

Dmac
05-02-2010, 09:01 AM
so big Z leads every single team in the league or just the cubs pitching staff? I am confused on that one

Well, the title of the thread answers your question.

cubyfan07
05-02-2010, 11:27 AM
Yeah, I saw this. Definitely surprised me...pretty interesting. I'm gonna guess that once Caridad comes back (which I think is pretty soon), Z will go back to the rotation and Hendry will continue to explore a trade for a relief pitcher.

With the addition of Caridad, the team will have to make a roster move. For now there is no plan to move Carlos Zambrano back to the rotation. One of the young pitchers, either James Russell, Jeff Gray or Justin Berg will go to the minors when Caridad returns.

http://espn.go.com/blog/chicago/cubs/post/_/id/909/piniella-shuffles-rotation

semperfi
05-02-2010, 11:31 AM
The Northsiders are 11-4 when scoring four runs or more in a game and 1-9 when scoring less than four.

Only thing that matters to me out of that article.

Str1fe5
05-02-2010, 08:24 PM

At this juncture, there has been no mention of putting Zambrano back in the rotation, even though injured reliever Esmailin Caridad is expected back by next weekend if he doesn't have any setbacks in his rehab.

http://sports.espn.go.com/chicago/mlb/news/story?id=5155894

redwhitenblue
05-02-2010, 08:25 PM
I'm going to be upset if they send Berg or Russell back. I think both have done just fine.

Str1fe5
05-02-2010, 09:08 PM
I'm going to be upset if they send Berg or Russell back. I think both have done just fine.

Well Berg has been fine I guess, but Caridad has a lot more upside than Berg does, and Gray has a better overall track record than Berg and also has better stuff. I mean we're talking about the 4 non set up guys at this point seeing as how Z and Marshall are the main set up guys now and both can go more than 1 inning if we really need them to.

I'd really just rather dump Berg and Gorzellany to AAA and just call up Sam Fuld so we can have a true defensive OF replacement and pinch runner.

Doogolas
05-02-2010, 09:20 PM
Gorzo > Silva.

WOwolfOL
05-02-2010, 09:24 PM
Be fair to Silva, his wrist has been hurting him since that AB a bit ago... can't definitively say he is gonna be the normal Silva now.

I think Rothschild has really helped him, and he'll be a solid starter.

Doogolas
05-02-2010, 09:28 PM
Be fair to Silva, his wrist has been hurting him since that AB a bit ago... can't definitively say he is gonna be the normal Silva now.

I think Rothschild has really helped him, and he'll be a solid starter.

And Gorzo has still been the better pitcher. Unless people actually expect Silva to continue keeping the opponents BABIP at sub .250.

redwhitenblue
05-02-2010, 10:52 PM
Well Berg has been fine I guess, but Caridad has a lot more upside than Berg does, and Gray has a better overall track record than Berg and also has better stuff. I mean we're talking about the 4 non set up guys at this point seeing as how Z and Marshall are the main set up guys now and both can go more than 1 inning if we really need them to.

I'd really just rather dump Berg and Gorzellany to AAA and just call up Sam Fuld so we can have a true defensive OF replacement and pinch runner.
I see no positive to sending Gorzo to AAA. He's pitching great right now, he's young, he's possibly a long-term piece to hold on to for that 4th/5th spot in the rotation.

WOwolfOL
05-03-2010, 12:29 AM
And Gorzo has still been the better pitcher. Unless people actually expect Silva to continue keeping the opponents BABIP at sub .250.

True, I just thought you were bashing Silva, like waiting for the ball to drop. I think he could have a very solid season.

Ron!n
05-03-2010, 05:08 AM

Another OF is really the last thing we need.

Yagyu+
05-03-2010, 10:04 AM

Eh, that's what Sean Marshall and Rich Harden are for.