PDA

View Full Version : Legislature fails to act on Cubs' stadium issue

ReJo
05-01-2010, 04:43 PM
Looks like Florida may be able to open up negotiations if this thing goes past July 12.

MESA, Ariz. Mesa's status as the Chicago Cubs spring training home is in jeopardy now that the Arizona Legislature has adjourned without passing legislation needed to keep the team in the state.

An agreement between the team and Mesa officials allows the Cubs to negotiate with other cities if Arizona lawmakers don't pass legislation by July 12. Lawmakers ended their session Thursday, and a special session is unlikely.

The move could reopen the door for Florida to lure away baseball's highest-drawing spring training team.

Lawmakers considered adding surcharges to car rentals and spring-training baseball tickets, but the plan faltered after Major League Baseball Commissioner Bud Selig came out against it.

Cubs chairman Tom Ricketts said he wasn't aware of Friday's events.

"I don't know anything about it," he said after his team beat the Arizona Diamondbacks 11-5 at Wrigley Field. "I'd have to wait until next week to be able to know about any of that stuff. I haven't been on top of it."

He added, "It's a long process."

Florida or Arizona I really don't care I just want to see the Cubs get the most money and the best facilities

Ron!n
05-01-2010, 05:37 PM
I just want it to be Arizona cause of all the Cubs fans that bought homes there because of the Cubs. Other than that who gives a damn.

semperfi
05-01-2010, 07:10 PM
I want them to be where ever it is cheaper for the Fans. Screw the Cubbies making more money. They have enough.

ReJo
05-01-2010, 07:22 PM
I want them to be where ever it is cheaper for the Fans. Screw the Cubbies making more money. They have enough.

You can never have enough money and Ricketts will put it back into the team.
Anyway spring training tickets are always cheap and that wont change regardless of where they end up.

semperfi
05-01-2010, 07:25 PM
You can never have enough money and Ricketts will put it back into the team.
Anyway spring training tickets are always cheap and that wont change regardless of where they end up.

When did it stop being about the Fans? Just another thing wrong with Greedy Americans.

d00d
05-01-2010, 07:34 PM
since I live near Naples I say screw Arizona and all the fans who bought houses there

ReJo
05-01-2010, 08:23 PM
When did it stop being about the Fans? Just another thing wrong with Greedy Americans.

It's always been about the fans.
The best thing a team can do for it's fans is win ballgames and number 1 would be to win the world series.

cubsneedmiracle
05-02-2010, 09:21 AM
Ehh, Arizona likes to keep screwing things up..

1908_Cubs
05-02-2010, 10:28 AM

Never. It was never about the fans. And why should it be? Wake up, smell the coffee, the Cubs are a business first. It's about their bottom line. The Cubs are no different than WalMart in the sense that they are there to make money. Do you think WalMart sets their prices because it's about the customers? Hell no. It's about the customers giving them money.

Is it greedy for a business to operate in it's best interest? Not really. That's what their designed to do. You're far too idealistic if you think that they're there to do anything else.