PDA

View Full Version : Would the Cubs move out of Wrigleyville?

mlciganek
05-01-2010, 02:28 PM
I say yes, with the recent news of the Wrigleyville area fighting the Toyota sign I think it is entirely possible that Rickett's would move the team to the 'burbs. Build a Wrigley replica, with your own wrigleyville and hold the deeds to all of it?? Makes perfect sense, this is a business and not a "museum" as Rickett's said. Rickett's may not say this publicly but I have a feeling he's thinking it. The Yankees did it and did a hell of a job with it.

The same logic applies for moving the team to FL, I am all for it!

WorldChamps1908
05-01-2010, 02:47 PM
:pity:

Milnertime
05-01-2010, 02:48 PM
Congratulations. You've created the 352305445747th thread about moving the Cubs out of the City.

StrandedCub
05-01-2010, 03:00 PM
I don't see it happening, at least not anytime soon. Unfortunately, there are too many people who simply care for Wrigley more than the Cubs. You can put a sign up against the people's wishes but I don't think they could move the team to somewhere other than Wrigley against the people's wishes.

mlciganek
05-01-2010, 03:03 PM
Congratulations. You've created the 352305445747th thread about moving the Cubs out of the City.

Thanks, it was my dream to accomplish something in life, I'm glad it could be this! I searched for recent threads on this topic, and there wasn't much out there.

mlciganek
05-01-2010, 03:07 PM
I don't see it happening, at least not anytime soon. Unfortunately, there are too many people who simply care for Wrigley more than the Cubs. You can put a sign up against the people's wishes but I don't think they could move the team to somewhere other than Wrigley against the people's wishes.

I love the Cubs and going to Wrigley, but if I could go to a more up to date ball park that has the ivy, bricks, bleachers, and scoreboard I think people would do it in a heartbeat. How long do you think Rickett's will go with out getting some ROI?

LeoGetz
05-01-2010, 03:17 PM
I wonder if he never gets that modern stadium that he is dying for that he would move the Cubs to like Vegas or Portland. These are serious concerns that need to be addressed because if he doesn't get what he wants he might seriously move the team.

hoggin88
05-01-2010, 03:41 PM
This would make me sad. :sad2:

Matchstckman
05-01-2010, 03:57 PM
I say yes, with the recent news of the Wrigleyville area fighting the Toyota sign I think it is entirely possible that Rickett's would move the team to the 'burbs. Build a Wrigley replica, with your own wrigleyville and hold the deeds to all of it?? Makes perfect sense, this is a business and not a "museum" as Rickett's said. Rickett's may not say this publicly but I have a feeling he's thinking it. The Yankees did it and did a hell of a job with it.

Since when is the South Bronx a suburb?

Barber School
05-01-2010, 04:14 PM
A fellow barber has been chopping away at this idea for years....he has been a cubs fan since the 60's, and thinks wrigley field is a dump compared to many other stadiums. He's really fond of the design of Milwaukee's Miller Park.

AddisonStation
05-01-2010, 04:14 PM
A fellow barber has been chopping away at this idea for years....he has been a cubs fan since the 60's, and thinks wrigley field is a dump compared to many other stadiums. He's really fond of the design of Milwaukee's Miller Park.

No thanks.

Matchstckman
05-01-2010, 04:16 PM
Matchstckman hates when people talk in the third person. He thinks it makes them sounds like people with mental retardation.

AddisonStation
05-01-2010, 04:18 PM
Matchstckman hates when people talk in the third person. He thinks it makes them sounds like people with mental retardation.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Apa0nG1OfUc

StrandedCub
05-01-2010, 04:31 PM
I love the Cubs and going to Wrigley, but if I could go to a more up to date ball park that has the ivy, bricks, bleachers, and scoreboard I think people would do it in a heartbeat. How long do you think Rickett's will go with out getting some ROI?

Oh, I agree completely. I would love to do that. And I do think some people would too. But the connection that many Cubs fans have with Wrigley run very deep. I am all for a new ballpark but I still believe there are way too many people would go crazy if the Cubs moved.

Also, the Ricketts are spending a hell of a lot of money in the next 4 years fixing the stadium up. What is it called? Wrigley 2014 I think. Why would they spend all this money on upgrading the stadium and then just move out of it. As I said, I believe it is going to be a long while until the Cubs move out of Wrigley.

Here are the plans for Wrigley 2014...http://www.chicagonow.com/blogs/david-kaplan-chicago-sports/2009/07/wrigley-2014---an-inside-look.html

BaustinSali08
05-01-2010, 04:33 PM
No thanks.

Love Miller Park, a lot of fun that stadium and the fans have. I think the cool part about is the huge parking lot they use for tailgating, which will never happen in Chicago.

AddisonStation
05-01-2010, 04:38 PM
Love Miller Park, a lot of fun that stadium and the fans have. I think the cool part about is the huge parking lot they use for tailgating, which will never happen in Chicago.

I like the tailgating space it has but I do not like indoor baseball. Never have, never will.

1-800-STFU
05-01-2010, 04:39 PM
They should move to Englewood.

WrigleyWonder
05-01-2010, 05:03 PM
Since when is the South Bronx a suburb?

Exactly. They moved across the street.

man man
05-01-2010, 05:44 PM
no way this happens.

Vandelay16
05-01-2010, 05:58 PM
Hahahaha no way.

CUBDOM4life
05-01-2010, 06:22 PM
I hope so.

redbird89
05-01-2010, 06:58 PM
I doubt the Cubs move out of Wrigleyville. The stadium is always sold out and they have a lot of bars and restaurants built in there. Even if they did move from Wrigleyville, I don't see them moving out of the city. In fact, it seems like most cities, even the ones with their populace mostly in the suburbs, have their ballparks in the city.

BaustinSali08
05-01-2010, 07:00 PM
I like the tailgating space it has but I do not like indoor baseball. Never have, never will.

It's certainly not for everyone I will agree. Actually, a minor problem with it, I was sitting mid-level, just bought a new hat to wear, and 5 pigeons were sitting on the grid-irons of the structure ******** all over the seats. It wasn't until the fireworks went off in the 5th inning did they move.

AllStar44
05-01-2010, 07:08 PM
I've been to Wrigley once and I loved the no huge parking lot. Been to the old and new busch stadium about 4 times and while it's a very nice ballpark there's just something about driving down the street looking around a building and boom theres wrigley.

semperfi
05-01-2010, 07:23 PM
Wrigley is out dated. I love the stadium but there's too many hassles getting to the game.

Milnertime
05-01-2010, 08:30 PM
Moving the stadium makes little sense. The team already has the most expensive tickets in baseball and will still break 3 million fans for the forseeable future.

Moving the stadium likely raises ticket prices on top of alienating a good portion of the fan base. The location of the stadium can make money. It's just up to Ricketts to figure out how.

Shammyguy3
05-01-2010, 09:10 PM

Yeah, let's move one of the most historic buildings in the city and country's history just because people protested an f'n sign.

Seriously, think before posting this crap.

CUBDOM4life
05-01-2010, 09:44 PM
Yeah, let's move one of the most historic buildings in the city and country's history just because people protested an f'n sign.

Seriously, think before posting this crap.

There's a little bit more to it than that.

gocubs2118
05-01-2010, 09:53 PM
We aren't going to move for the next 50 year with the type of money the Ricketts are going to put into it.

redbird89
05-02-2010, 12:36 AM
I've been to Wrigley once and I loved the no huge parking lot. Been to the old and new busch stadium about 4 times and while it's a very nice ballpark there's just something about driving down the street looking around a building and boom theres wrigley.

I think as far as new ballparks, new Busch Stadium is very nice. It fits in with the city better than old Busch. And new Busch has a very nice breeze and a view of Downtown. The amenities are great. It doesn't have the history of Wrigley or Fenway, but it is very nice. The Cardinals first big stadium was used from 1888-1966. That location wouldn't work now because it was 4 miles northwest of Downtown. New Busch is made of red brick, with the skinny arches which represent the Cupples Station buildings (2 of which are now the Westin Hotel across the street) and the third base entrance has a bridge-looking thing over it (supposed to represent Ead's Bridge). For a new ballpark, I think it fits in better with the city than old Busch Stadium did.

You can make a really nice new ballpark, but I can see why Cubs fans are attached to Wrigley. There's a lot of history there.

Barber School
05-04-2010, 07:19 PM
Moving the stadium likely raises ticket prices on top of alienating a good portion of the fan base. The location of the stadium can make money. It's just up to Ricketts to figure out how.Narrowly tiered balconies, raising high enough to obscure the rooftops kills 2 birds with one stone.

Twan
05-04-2010, 07:56 PM
Who does this guy think he is? Me?

thawv
05-05-2010, 12:24 AM

What are you talking about? It's outdoor baseball with the option to close the roof when it's raining or cold. It's perfect! As a die hard Cub fan, and I do me die hard, I can say with the up most confidence..............Wrigley is a dump!

man man
05-05-2010, 11:34 AM
No matter what the argument I just can't see the Cubs moving out of Wrigleyville any time in the near future, especially to somewhere in the suburbs.

AddisonStation
05-05-2010, 12:20 PM
What are you talking about? It's outdoor baseball with the option to close the roof when it's raining or cold. It's perfect! As a die hard Cub fan, and I do me die hard, I can say with the up most confidence..............Wrigley is a dump!

What do you mean 'What are you talking about?" They close the roof at Miller Park often and when they do it looks like a warehouse.

You're the dump..

thawv
05-05-2010, 01:03 PM
What do you mean 'What are you talking about?" They close the roof at Miller Park often and when they do it looks like a warehouse.

You're the dump..

No need for name calling dude. You must be pretty young to act like that. Miller blows away Wrigley in every single phase of a baseball field.

AddisonStation
05-05-2010, 01:15 PM
No need for name calling dude. You must be pretty young to act like that. Miller blows away Wrigley in every single phase of a baseball field.

I was kiddin bro..

Every single phase? No way but of course that's a matter of opinion.

Cubs420
05-05-2010, 01:31 PM

Exactly !

I love Wrigley, but the park is cramped and its a nightmare to park and the drive down Irving Park road is a pain in the ***...

A park in the suburbs could work.. You bring over the old scoreboard, you keep bricks and ivy on the wall etc. Basically a replica of Wrigley with more space, modern amenities and hopefully no damn seats that are right behind a pole :facepalm:

Cubs420
05-05-2010, 01:38 PM

I agree 100 %

I love Miller Park, I have been there over ten times to see the Cubs play and the stadium never disappoints. Its clean, has plenty of space and comfort, the retractable roof is awesome, it has great food and best of all getting in and out of the stadium isn't a nightmare...

they did a fantastic job with that stadium...

man man
05-05-2010, 02:30 PM
Of course there are parks with better layouts - Miller, even Comisky is a more physically comfortable stadium to see a game - but something has got to be said about the feeling you get when you go to Wrigley Field. There's nothing quite like it and it would be strange to go see the Cubs play anywhere else with a new park.

Besides that, the tailgating at Miller Park is awesome.

SpudsRutkowski
05-05-2010, 07:11 PM
Why don't we just let the team pull in advertising money? If lame ***** who cared more about the historical museum than the team winning... I don't know a world series? would stop fighting this **** then we could have our cake and have sex with it too?

dismal
05-06-2010, 02:47 PM
not a chance the cubs move out of wrigley until they win the world series, then MAYBE they could move... This stadium has seen to much to be dumped after 100 years of no championship, We win one and then we'll see

Milnertime
05-06-2010, 03:44 PM
not a chance the cubs move out of wrigley until they win the world series, then MAYBE they could move... This stadium has seen to much to be dumped after 100 years of no championship, We win one and then we'll see
The stadium hasn't seen 100 years of no championship, as it was built in 1914.

hawkcub
05-08-2010, 02:21 PM
It would be a dumb as hell move for Rickets to move out of Wrigley. Especially to the Burbs or as some people suggested out of the city completely. Right now the stadium sells out at a good clip when the team sucks. Leave Wrigley and when your team sucks you are not going to get as many fans. Yeah when your good you might get more because you built a stadium with more seats but chances are your not going to be good every year.

IMO whenever Rickets wants something and the City and neighborhood gives him trouble with it he's going to hint around at building else where. But he knows deep down he will make more money playing at Wrigley then not playing there.