PDA

View Full Version : Rick Reilly tells it how it is

ManRam
05-01-2010, 10:28 AM
Welcome to the NBA -- the National Blaming Association.

Phil Jackson blames the refs for Kevin Durant getting too many calls.

Durant blames Jackson for dissing him.

David Stern blames Jackson for blaming officials and blames HIMSELF for not suspending Jackson in the '80s for blaming the refs.

Orlando coach Stan Van Gundy blames Stern for the playoffs taking so long.

Orlando's Dwight Howard blames the refs for whistling him when other stars go free.

Nugget JR Smith blames his team for playing "selfish"

Nugget Chauncey Billups blames acting coach Adrian Dantley for not being as good a coach as cancer-recovering George Karl.

Mavs owner Mark Cuban blames the NFL for hurting the National Blaming Association ratings with its three-day draft.

Remind me. Is this basketball or The Real Housewives of Orange County?

Meanwhile, in hockey the other night, the Washington Capitals' Eric Belanger gets hit with a stick, loses EIGHT teeth, has an instant root canal in the locker room, comes back out and PLAYS and never says boo.

So new rule, NBA: Unless you have a root canal at halftime, SHUT UP AND PLAY!

Hey Phil, you tried to get in the kid's head. It didn't work.

Hey Kevin, you're a superstar now. You DO get calls. Enjoy.

Hey David, you can pretend you want these people to shut up, but you secretly love fining tall people. Sort of elevator shoes made of $100s.

Hey Stan, would you rather trade schedules with the New Jersey Nets?

Hey Dwight: You have the body of Zeus and an $85 million contract and more free throws than anybody in the league this season not named Durant. Nobody's holding any telethons for you.

Hey J.R Swish, just J.R. Shush: you've only got 10 assists so far. Chauncey has 30. You calling somebody selfish is like Dr. Phil calling somebody bald.

Oh, and hey Nuggets, how about rallying around your coach, who's fighting for his life, instead of giving him more heartache.

And lastly, Mark, tell your players, your coaches and your commissioner to STOP blaming everybody else. Maybe then you'd get more people watching and less people pressing MUTE.

Link (http://sports.espn.go.com/espnmag/story?id=5148873)

I'm just mad he didn't mention the fans...but the man has been voted national sports writer of the year 11 times, I think I won't complain too much.

Whining, from coaches, to players, to fans, to owners, to announcers...is the single biggest problem in the NBA. I actually am glad Stern is cracking down, even as severe as it sounds. This league is full of sissies, prima donnas, cry babies who expect everything to be handed to them. It really is the National Blaming Association.

Raph12
05-01-2010, 10:34 AM
If the calls were consistent, no one would blame the refs for anything. Call it the exact same way every game and everyone's happy.

ManRam
05-01-2010, 10:41 AM
If the calls were consistent, no one would blame the refs for anything. Call it the exact same way every game and everyone's happy.

If refs were robots, if they had multiple looks, slow motion, better angles...then maybe it would happen. They are humans. They makes mistakes...just like the players on the court. It's just so annoying when people complain about nothing else besides officiating, when 99 times out of 100, the reason the game was lost was because of things directly in a team's control, ie bad play.

Complaining does nothing...except make the league look like it is played by a bunch of jealous girls. Oh how I wish I was living in the 60s right now. That's how basketball is supposed to be played.

Raph12
05-01-2010, 10:45 AM
If refs were robots, if they had multiple looks, slow motion, better angles...then maybe it would happen. They are humans. They makes mistakes...just like the players on the court. It's just so annoying when people complain about nothing else besides officiating, when 99 times out of 100, the reason the game was lost was because of things directly in a team's control, ie bad play.

Complaining does nothing...except make the league look like it is played by a bunch of jealous girls. Oh how I wish I was living in the 60s right now. That's how basketball is supposed to be played.

I don't mean it like that, some refs let teams play it out, some call it very tight, if they picked one way and just called it that way from beginning to end, no one would complain... Obviously there would be a missed/bs call here and there, but better to be the exception rather than the rule.

Kakaroach
05-01-2010, 11:34 AM
That would still be ridiculous for refs to call, its just way too difficult and the game moves at way too fast of a speed to have every official make those calls consistently.

And I totally agree with Reilly. You don't have to look any further than PSD, 99% of the posters on here are blaming refs in every single game. There are always gonna be questionable calls no matter how the refs call the game - tight or let-em-play.

I really commend David Stern for fining guys like Phil Jackson and Dwight Howard who complain at every single given chance they get. If he didn't, the NBA would be even more ridiculous than it already is.

Iodine
05-01-2010, 12:39 PM
I am agreeing with Rick Reily
FML

Costra_Nostra
05-01-2010, 06:17 PM
Funny, how the article is against complaining and Rick is doing the opposite ;)

I like when Coaches step up to make a point. It is ridiculous the amount of BS calls Dwight recieves on a NIGHTLY basis. Unbelievable. This is worse than how the refs cheated Shaq during his early days in LA.

heathonater
05-01-2010, 06:28 PM
its easier for most fans, including myself at times, to blame the refs for their teams shortcomings than to actually say the reason why their team is losing is because the other team is better. not one series in this postseason so far has been determined by refs, the better teams have won each series. will there be bad calls, of course. but one bad call usually wont determine a game's outcome.

stawka
05-01-2010, 06:31 PM
LOL I like it. I actually laughed at some of them, especially the last lines with all the "hey" business

JabberJaw
05-01-2010, 07:21 PM
Is there a professionaly sports organization that doesn't get complaints? referee's for the NBA, MLB, NFL, etc...all get shi*ted on! You're going to get athletes complaining in every sport. NFL-people whine about the game getting too soft and protecting QB's with weak calls...excessive celebrations...weak schedules vs tough schedules...etc. MLB-inconsistant strikezones, steroids (whos juicing and whos not), no salary caps, etc... Boxing/MMA- who should get title shot, steroids, attrocious judging...etc.

Point is...it's not just the NBA, yet this thread makes it seem like only in the NBA do people whine, or they whine the most. News flash! There is whining at every level, in every event, every year. Not everyone is going to be happy. In the meantime, enjoy the season/event of your choice and don't add to the whining by whining about people complaining. It's ridiculous and just magnifies the problem. If people didn't have a forum to "whine" on, nobody would pay attention to it, thus bringing more attention then it deserves. Who gives a *******!? Play ball!

Twinsfan24
05-01-2010, 07:41 PM
Gotta love Rick Reilly the NBA is rediculous all they do is complain, Last Night Kenyon Martin full out shoved Deron Williams and what does Martin do?? Turn around and argue like he never touched him. Its rediculous. All they have to do is play. Kobe, Lebron all of the superstars jump around and act like idiots everytime they think they got fouled or didnt foul someone PLEASE SHUT UP AND PLAY. Everytime I turn a game on someone is over complaining to the refs about something.... Its getting old.

Don Starks
05-01-2010, 07:54 PM
honestly Reily is the cheesiest writer, not just sports writer, but writer i have ever read. the guy writes nothing but fluff pieces and then takes the easiest side of an argument. complaining in the NBA? who is going to argue that complaining is a positive thing?

and whoever said complaining is the biggest problem in the NBA is ignoring a lot of glaring issues like incompetent management, a looming lock out, and many other things. complaining is the least of the NBAs worries.

someone should cut of reilys hands and save world from his horrendous, "i represent the wholesome" side of sports garbage.

evadatam5150
05-01-2010, 08:37 PM
I'm just mad he didn't mention the fans...but the man has been voted national sports writer of the year 11 times, I think I won't complain too much.

Whining, from coaches, to players, to fans, to owners, to announcers...is the single biggest problem in the NBA. I actually am glad Stern is cracking down, even as severe as it sounds. This league is full of sissies, prima donnas, cry babies who expect everything to be handed to them. It really is the National Blaming Association.

I found this gem kind of funny..

Hey Phil, you tried to get in the kid's head. It didn't work.

Really..

Last nights Durant Shot 5 for 23 from the field which lands him on the *one of the worst playoff shooting percentages EVER* list .. Granted he scored 26 due to ridiculous foul calling and great defense played a roll but who's to say Phillip didn't get in dudes head.. Something sure did..

DenButsu
05-01-2010, 08:44 PM
Rick Reilly "tells it how it is"...

Except that this never happened:

Nugget Chauncey Billups blames acting coach Adrian Dantley for not being as good a coach as cancer-recovering George Karl.

I don't know where the **** he thinks he got that from. But it never happened.

ARMIN12NBA
05-02-2010, 02:31 AM
People can't have emotions anymore? Big Brother.

I get his premise, but people are people man. Emotions are a huge make-up of human beings. It is just the way it is and I don't think any of us would have it any other way.

ANKUSH
05-02-2010, 03:01 AM
This blame game is part of professional basketball...BUT I BELIEVE IT IS BRED OUT OF OTHER THINGS STERN HAS TAKEN AWAY FROM THE GAME......every generation that Stern's been a part of, he attempts to nip something else...physical D, bench player etiquette, street clothes, type of basketball, trash talking etc.....players resort to complaining because they are too restricted on the courts...this is not natural basketball....natural is calling a foul when you're bleeding, calling travels, and being allowed to harass the hell out of an offensive player...in my opinion...eff Stern

USMCLaker
05-02-2010, 08:14 AM
I blame John Ireland for boring the ell out of me.

ManRam
05-02-2010, 10:58 AM
its easier for most fans, including myself at times, to blame the refs for their teams shortcomings than to actually say the reason why their team is losing is because the other team is better. not one series in this postseason so far has been determined by refs, the better teams have won each series. will there be bad calls, of course. but one bad call usually wont determine a game's outcome.

:worthy:

A wise man! I like your style. It's so true though...and PSD really has a problem with realizing that the reason games are lost are 99.9% of the time because of things that their team could directly control, aka, not the refs.

ManRam
05-02-2010, 11:01 AM
Is there a professionaly sports organization that doesn't get complaints? referee's for the NBA, MLB, NFL, etc...all get shi*ted on! You're going to get athletes complaining in every sport. NFL-people whine about the game getting too soft and protecting QB's with weak calls...excessive celebrations...weak schedules vs tough schedules...etc. MLB-inconsistant strikezones, steroids (whos juicing and whos not), no salary caps, etc... Boxing/MMA- who should get title shot, steroids, attrocious judging...etc.

Point is...it's not just the NBA, yet this thread makes it seem like only in the NBA do people whine, or they whine the most. News flash! There is whining at every level, in every event, every year. Not everyone is going to be happy. In the meantime, enjoy the season/event of your choice and don't add to the whining by whining about people complaining. It's ridiculous and just magnifies the problem. If people didn't have a forum to "whine" on, nobody would pay attention to it, thus bringing more attention then it deserves. Who gives a *******!? Play ball!

It is BY FAR a much bigger problem in the NBA. Every single player complains after every single whistle. I agree. Who gives a *******!? Play Ball! AKA, stop whining.

Like last night. Sheed (and I know he's not the best person to point out), hacked the **** out of Rondo...connecting with Rondo's arm solidly, but after the whistle blew, he threw his hands up in the air, complained for about 30 seconds, slowing down the game...and just frustrating the **** out of me. Every single player does it. It's a generational thing. This **** didn't happen 20 years ago. It's a big reason why the NBA today< the NBA any time before today.

hugepatsfan
05-02-2010, 11:15 AM
This blame game is part of professional basketball...BUT I BELIEVE IT IS BRED OUT OF OTHER THINGS STERN HAS TAKEN AWAY FROM THE GAME......every generation that Stern's been a part of, he attempts to nip something else...physical D, bench player etiquette, street clothes, type of basketball, trash talking etc.....players resort to complaining because they are too restricted on the courts...this is not natural basketball....natural is calling a foul when you're bleeding, calling travels, and being allowed to harass the hell out of an offensive player...in my opinion...eff Stern

:clap:

Raph12
05-02-2010, 12:02 PM
It is BY FAR a much bigger problem in the NBA. Every single player complains after every single whistle. I agree. Who gives a *******!? Play Ball! AKA, stop whining.

Like last night. Sheed (and I know he's not the best person to point out), hacked the **** out of Rondo...connecting with Rondo's arm solidly, but after the whistle blew, he threw his hands up in the air, complained for about 30 seconds, slowing down the game...and just frustrating the **** out of me. Every single player does it. It's a generational thing. This **** didn't happen 20 years ago. It's a big reason why the NBA today< the NBA any time before today.

Sheed and Rondo are on the same team, why would he hack Rondo?

Kakaroach
05-02-2010, 06:39 PM
Sheed and Rondo are on the same team, why would he hack Rondo? Rasheed is just an awesome teammate like that.

And yes, the NBA has by far the most complaining of any sport.

FOBolous
05-02-2010, 06:48 PM

:clap:

nothing's more annoying to me than fans/teams crying about the refs.

RadiantShot
05-02-2010, 07:08 PM
Honestly, I think not even 5% of NBA games have been lost because of officiating. Probably even less. I think most of the time, Players, Coaches, and Fans, are heated. It's human nature. That's where you have to realize something ManRam. I know it's easy to say, "It's turned into the National Blaming Association," but you have to remember, we're all human beings. We have emotions. We all have different interpretations of things. Some good, some bad. Nobody should be put down because they let their emotions get the best of them. It's natural. If it becomes a trend, then we can talk more and more about it.

PatsSoxKnicks
05-02-2010, 07:20 PM
What really ticks me off is when the fans of the WINNING team complain about the refs. I mean you won, do you really need to complain about the refs? I feel like there are certain fanbases that do this more than others (you know who you are and everyone else knows who you are).

I think the problem with officiating is that it isn't consistent. Some games, the teams are allowed to play and some games, the teams are whistled for everything. There needs to be more consistent officiating. If you ask me, let them play. But that means ALL games have to be called like that. And the officiating shouldn't change because a team gets homecourt, call it the way it is no matter where the game is being played.