PDA

View Full Version : Props to Dirk

JasonJohnHorn
04-30-2010, 05:22 PM
Please dont move to Dallas forum as I am hoping to get responces from fans league wide.

I'm not a big "Mavs" fan, or a big "Dirk" fan either, in fact, I am one of the guys who usually says the Mavs cant win with him as the first option, and that Dirk is to soft.

But regardless of what i may think about being able to build a team around Dirk, I think he deserves some props. This guy had a great series and seems to always be a top playoff performer. He shot over 57% from the floor this series, and we arent talking about a big man that is waiting inside for a dunk/lob, we are talking about a guy who was being guarded by one of the best defensive teams in the league, and a guy who takes shots, long range, mid range, contested jumpers. He was better than 50% from behind the arc, was slightly above his season average for rebounds, and slightly above his season average for assists as well. Dirk, like every year, showed up and worked his @$$ off and I think he deserves a little shout out for his consistency over the years. There are seasons where his percentages have dipped in the playoffs, and his rebounding numbers were nothing to write home about, but this year especially Dirk really showed up and illustrated that he really is capable of taking a team on his back and carrying them... sometimes though that is not enough, and despite getting his teammates involved, and despite have a deep team, the Mavs drew a tough, experienced Championship calibre team in the first round.

I'm not sure where Dirk is going or what he is thinking, but even if things turn out for him as they did for Stockton and Reggie Miller, I hope Dirk retires in the jersey he was drafted in, and even though I wont be rooting for the Mavs anytime soon (I'm sorry, I just get a headache listening to Cuban... lol), I really do hope for Dirk, and for the Dallas fans, that the pull out at least one title before dirk retires. But even if they dont, Dirk will still be one of the best shooting big men in the history of the game, and certainyl of his generation.

Here's to next year Dirk! Dont give up on Dallas, because as a fan of the game its always nice to see class acts like Reggie Miller, and Stockton, stay loyal to the teams who put out an honest effort to build legit contenders ever season. I think Dirk is one of those class acts.

-Kobe24-TJ19-
04-30-2010, 05:26 PM
Please dont move to Dallas forum as I am hoping to get responces from fans league wide.

I'm not a big "Mavs" fan, or a big "Dirk" fan either, in fact, I am one of the guys who usually says the Mavs cant win with him as the first option, and that Dirk is to soft.

But regardless of what i may think about being able to build a team around Dirk, I think he deserves some props. This guy had a great series and seems to always be a top playoff performer. He shot over 57% from the floor this series, and we arent talking about a big man that is waiting inside for a dunk/lob, we are talking about a guy who was being guarded by one of the best defensive teams in the league, and a guy who takes shots, long range, mid range, contested jumpers. He was better than 50% from behind the arc, was slightly above his season average for rebounds, and slightly above his season average for assists as well. Dirk, like every year, showed up and worked his @$$ off and I think he deserves a little shout out for his consistency over the years. There are seasons where his percentages have dipped in the playoffs, and his rebounding numbers were nothing to write home about, but this year especially Dirk really showed up and illustrated that he really is capable of taking a team on his back and carrying them... sometimes though that is not enough, and despite getting his teammates involved, and despite have a deep team, the Mavs drew a tough, experienced Championship calibre team in the first round.

I'm not sure where Dirk is going or what he is thinking, but even if things turn out for him as they did for Stockton and Reggie Miller, I hope Dirk retires in the jersey he was drafted in, and even though I wont be rooting for the Mavs anytime soon (I'm sorry, I just get a headache listening to Cuban... lol), I really do hope for Dirk, and for the Dallas fans, that the pull out at least one title before dirk retires. But even if they dont, Dirk will still be one of the best shooting big men in the history of the game, and certainyl of his generation.

Here's to next year Dirk! Dont give up on Dallas, because as a fan of the game its always nice to see class acts like Reggie Miller, and Stockton, stay loyal to the teams who put out an honest effort to build legit contenders ever season. I think Dirk is one of those class acts.

Bucks fan???

Hustla23
04-30-2010, 05:26 PM
I agree.

Dirk played outstanding ball and gave every drop of effort in this series.

I have so much more respect for Dirk now than I did before.

Not only was he hitting ridiculous shots in the clutch on the offense end, but he was also fighting guys in the paint and boxing them out on the other end.

Outstanding performance.

Hats off to you, Mr. Nowitzki.

tredigs
04-30-2010, 05:44 PM

I agree to a point, but there does come a time when you have to realize that you're getting older as far as basketball years are concerned, and it's fair to put yourself first. The one common theme between Dirk, Reggie and Stockton is that none of them have a ring. If that truly is his ultimate goal and he is willing to play co-superstar or Superstar 2nd option to another top tier player, then I think he's earned that right. He's been the best player for Dallas going on a decade now, and there's a good chance they aren't winning a ring there with him as the number 1 reaching the tail end of his prime.

Whatever he decides, Dirk Diggler's boss -- along with Timmy he's one of the most consistently great/ sometimes unheralded players of the last decade.

Iodine
04-30-2010, 05:50 PM
Dirk <3

kikeyanez
04-30-2010, 05:52 PM
dirk needs to hook back up with nelli an take the warriors to the promise land

Young2Kinsler
04-30-2010, 06:01 PM
As a fan from Dallas, he never gets the due praise, even in this town.

They have never found him a true scoring presence to play with from the guard position, which is what Dallas needs. I sure hope he doesn't leave this offseason, it would be desestating to see him suit up for another team.

MikefromMars
04-30-2010, 06:08 PM
Dirk played great!

I will play devil's advocate here though...

He really dropped the ball in Dallas when SA stole one. He also got away with a lot of cheap shots, but I think SA did too.

.... Dirk is a great player. He needs to utilize his size more and needs a 1B or a 2A &2B... Timmy has Manu/Parker (Hill?).... Kobe has Gasol/Bynum/Odom...

Besides Lebron, all these teams have players who could be #1's elsewhere. I dont think Dirk should ever be considered a 2nd option, but he just isn't capable of handling the load alone... but really... how many are? Pippen anyone?

ldc62
04-30-2010, 06:11 PM
You realize Dirk was drafted by the Bucks???

heathonater
04-30-2010, 06:11 PM
dirk is one of the better players in the nba today, but dallas needs to get another star player in order to have a shot at the title next year.

MikefromMars
04-30-2010, 06:12 PM
You realize Dirk was drafted by the Bucks???

Fear the Deer!!! haha catching on like wildfire

Iodine
04-30-2010, 06:12 PM
If the NBA was the Wu Tang Clan Dirk would be Deck, one of the best clan members, but truely shines when he doesnt have to carry an album (or in Dirks case, team)

ldc62
04-30-2010, 06:15 PM
If the NBA was the Wu Tang Clan Dirk would be Deck, one of the best clan members, but truely shines when he doesnt have to carry an album (or in Dirks case, team)

haha thanks for linking me to this page.

hugepatsfan
04-30-2010, 06:18 PM
I hate when a team loses we all pick out some one and congradulate him for his effort. I'm notsaying we need to rip Dirk/Wade/etc., but let's not congradulate them after they lost.

Spurred1
04-30-2010, 06:31 PM
Why not? Wade was spectacular this series-not his fault the center is hopeless or that Beasley doesn't mentally attend the games at times. He played his *** off-despite the outcome of the series, he did his part. He should get recognition for his work.

Iodine
04-30-2010, 06:33 PM
Why not? Wade was spectacular this series-not his fault the center is hopeless or that Beasley doesn't mentally attend the games at times. He played his *** off-despite the outcome of the series, he did his part. He should get recognition for his work.

Because clearly if you lose, everything you do is discredited :rolleyes:

Ebbs
04-30-2010, 06:34 PM
He deserved it. Nice sentiment

VIP1349
04-30-2010, 06:48 PM
I HATE the Mavs, literally hate the Mavs'. But I can't help but feel sorry for Dirk, he's an amazing player and it's a shame that he and though I hate his guts Cuban continue to fail like they do. Cuban to me is one of the most risky Owners when it comes to trades and such and Dirk's a great player, just his supporting cast continues to let him down.

JasonJohnHorn
04-30-2010, 08:09 PM
If it was all about winning, if it was all about rings, then Stockton and Malone, and Reggie Miller, and George Gervin wouldnt be HOFers (Reggie will be there in a couple years).

Its about the effort and the skill, and consistency and a host of other things. Reggie Miller never won, but he made the playoffs worth watching every year he was in them. Grant Hill never one (first year out of the first round), but he has been an example to every other player in the league on how to conduct themselves on and off the court. Nash never won a title, but he has two MVP awards because he has exemplified team work and how sharing the ball makes everybody else better.

And sometimes star players end up sitting on the bench and complaining about the officials, refusing to take responcibility for their own play/fouls, all while watching their team win without him on the court, and another player, like dirk, puts out every effort and doesnt complain when his team loses, nor does he come up with excuses. Dirk's losing effort is more praise worthy than some people's winning effort.

Just because a team loses doesnt mean they arent praise worthy, nor does it mean that players on that team arent worthy of praise.

And big up to those who corrected me: I did not realize the Bucks drafted Dirk. I stand corrected!

kikeyanez
04-30-2010, 08:24 PM
call me krazy but if dirk opt's out dirk an wade in new york! it would be a sight to see

tredigs
04-30-2010, 08:29 PM
If it was all about winning, if it was all about rings, then Stockton and Malone, and Reggie Miller, and George Gervin wouldnt be HOFers (Reggie will be there in a couple years).

Its about the effort and the skill, and consistency and a host of other things. Reggie Miller never won, but he made the playoffs worth watching every year he was in them. Grant Hill never one (first year out of the first round), but he has been an example to every other player in the league on how to conduct themselves on and off the court. Nash never won a title, but he has two MVP awards because he has exemplified team work and how sharing the ball makes everybody else better.

And sometimes star players end up sitting on the bench and complaining about the officials, refusing to take responcibility for their own play/fouls, all while watching their team win without him on the court, and another player, like dirk, puts out every effort and doesnt complain when his team loses, nor does he come up with excuses. Dirk's losing effort is more praise worthy than some people's winning effort.

Just because a team loses doesnt mean they arent praise worthy, nor does it mean that players on that team arent worthy of praise.

And big up to those who corrected me: I did not realize the Bucks drafted Dirk. I stand corrected!

Not sure if that was a response to me, but if it was then I think you misinterpreted my post. I'm not discounting the careers of players who haven't won because they played for slightly lesser organizations, rather I'm saying that he shouldn't be obligated to stay just for the fact that he's been on the team for his entire career. His contract is up, and he gave it his all every year. If he chooses to leave because he feels he has a better chance to win a title in another city while still being a large fixture of the team, then I think he's more than earned that right; and shouldn't be thought of less so than Stockton or Reggie if that's the path he takes.

Sometimes you have to do what's best for you is what I'm saying, and there's nothing wrong with that.

hugepatsfan
04-30-2010, 08:31 PM
I'm not saying that Wade or Dirk should be hammered - they played great. But I'd rather talk about the teams that moved on than the ones that are at home watching. Maybe it's just me...

JC_
04-30-2010, 08:31 PM
Dirk is a beast, I felt bad for him while watching this series because he played insane at time but didn't have enough help from his team. It reminded me of watching Bosh early in the season when the rest of the raptors were half assing it while he was giving his all.

Raps08-09 Champ
04-30-2010, 08:34 PM
Trade Dirk and Haywood for Bosh

Young2Kinsler
04-30-2010, 09:52 PM
Trade Dirk and Haywood for Bosh

Dirk alone ***** on Bosh, to add in Haywood is hilariously ignorant.

Raps08-09 Champ
04-30-2010, 09:57 PM

Dirk is 32 by next season. Bosh is 26. Bosh is in his prime. Dirk's gonna slow down in the next year or 2. 9 times out of 10, people would probably choose Bosh over Dirk in the current situation.

And Haywood is a free agent. The Raptors could probably sign him with their MLE if he wants. I just included him for S&T.

ldc62
04-30-2010, 10:15 PM

To not think about the future is ignorant. Dirk is 32... I'd take Bosh anyday of the week. Also if you swapped Bosh with Dirk, the result probably woulda been the same for the Mavs, but the Raptors would suck even more.

SeoulBeatz
04-30-2010, 10:26 PM
yeah, it sucks because Dirk is going to get the blame for his teams shortcomings because that's just the way it is, but there really isn't anything more Dirk coud have done to help his team win.

i feel bad for the dude but i hope he stays in dallas. give him kobe and he'll get some rings :)