PDA

View Full Version : Surprise, surprise, LeBron James to be named the 2009-2010 MVP

BBALLGOD4
04-30-2010, 11:48 AM
This year's MVP race has been without drama for months, as LeBron James seemed to stand head and shoulders above his competition. Now, even the illusion of uncertainty can be wiped away, as Brian Windhorst of the Cleveland Plain Dealer reported that LeBron will receive his second straight MVP award and will officially receive his trophy prior to Game 2 against the Boston Celtics.

James is the MVP by almost any criteria. His 31.1 PER this season is good for tops in the league and ninth in history. His adjusted +/- is second in the league, behind only Dwight Howard. He's the only non-point guard in the top five in assist percentage (an estimated percentage of teammate field goals LeBron assisted while he was in the game), still managed to grab 7.3 rebounds per game, averaged an unreal 29.7 points per game, and led his team to an NBA-best 61 wins.

The scariest thing? LeBron's getting better. He's still learning, making huge strides with his defense, and even becoming a better scorer. Did you know this was the first season of LeBron's career where he topped .500 in field goal percentage? Or that this was far and away his best season in terms of racking up assists? One of the most insanely efficient players in the game is still finding new ways to streamline his production, and that's pretty horrifying.

Best player on the best team? Check. Greatest impact? Check. Best statistical resume? Super check. Best player in the league? You know it.

LeBron James is the rightful MVP, and it's only a matter of time, a press conference, and a photo op away from it being official.

http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/04/surprise-surprise-lebron-james-to-be-named-the-2009-2010-mvp.php

Job well done lebron, you derserve it:clap:

bigsams50
04-30-2010, 11:50 AM
Well Deserved. Man was a straight monster this year

GSW Hoops
04-30-2010, 11:51 AM
According to Monta Ellis, LeBron's only the 3rd best player behind Kobe (#1) and Monta (#2). Stern rigs another award :(

RaiderLakersA's
04-30-2010, 11:55 AM
This was a ho hum year in my estimation. Easy for LeBron to stand out. Gratz to him.

But I think even he would admit that a league MVP is low hanging fruit for him. He could win it every year, doing what he's doing. What he wants most is a Finals MVP.

Rocktober2009
04-30-2010, 12:01 PM
I'm curious as to how things look midway through next season.

Durant is gonna win his fair share of those MVP awards.
D-Wade and Melo have it in them to win one
CP-3 and D-Will are probably gonna win one each I think..

I don't think this will be LeBron's award to hold for the next 10 years. He got it this year, congrats to him, but this reward is gonna be all over the place I think.

KnicksorBust
04-30-2010, 12:07 PM
I'm curious as to how things look midway through next season.

Durant is gonna win his fair share of those MVP awards.
D-Wade and Melo have it in them to win one
CP-3 and D-Will are probably gonna win one each I think..

I don't think this will be LeBron's award to hold for the next 10 years. He got it this year, congrats to him, but this reward is gonna be all over the place I think.

Not the next 10 years, that would be ridiculous. I think he's got a legit chance to make a run at Kareem though. The PGs don't scare me. Maybe Wade or Durant though.

ElMarroAfamado
04-30-2010, 12:07 PM
a couple years down this is going to be bashed just like Nash winning back to back mvps was...why? because amidst their back to back mvps neither won a title

GSW Hoops
04-30-2010, 12:11 PM
a couple years down this is going to be bashed just like Nash winning back to back mvps was...why? because amidst their back to back mvps neither won a title

You do realize the playoffs aren't over yet, right?

still1ballin
04-30-2010, 12:13 PM
zomg no wayz!

Congrats to a well deserved candidate. He is the best player in the world.

ZbuAtlCerK
04-30-2010, 12:13 PM
Psh Look Lebron has finals Mvp this year. Its his 7th season and Michel Jordan didnt win the title till his 7th year.
Lebron>Jordan

RaiderLakersA's
04-30-2010, 12:17 PM
Psh Look Lebron has finals Mvp this year. Its his 7th season and Michel Jordan didnt win the title till his 7th year.
Lebron>Jordan

We have a moratorium on this board for anyone with less than 5000 posts to make such claims. Please refrain from ridiculous hyperbole. :eyebrow:

Hawkeye15
04-30-2010, 12:17 PM
duh

ldc62
04-30-2010, 12:18 PM
Lebron still wont win

ElMarroAfamado
04-30-2010, 12:19 PM
You do realize the playoffs aren't over yet, right?

ok ill bump this thread when they are.

-Kobe24-TJ19-
04-30-2010, 12:20 PM
:yawn:

RaiderLakersA's
04-30-2010, 12:22 PM
ok ill bump this thread when they are.

I have a friend who is a diehard Celtics fan who believes that you won't have to wait long for the playoffs to end for the Cavs. Next week. I'm just hoping the series lives up to the hype.

G-Funk
04-30-2010, 12:24 PM
congrats

GSW Hoops
04-30-2010, 12:24 PM
I have a friend who is a diehard Celtics fan who believes that you won't have to wait long for the playoffs to end for the Cavs. Next week. I'm just hoping the series lives up to the hype.

A diehard Celtics fan thinks the Celts can't lose? That's surprising.

arkanian215
04-30-2010, 12:27 PM
:clap::clap::clap: Congrats to him. Deserved it.

tdunk21
04-30-2010, 12:30 PM
good job bron....2nd straight MVP...

JordansBulls
04-30-2010, 12:31 PM
Lebron>Jordan

Lebron also had 2 bronze medals at the time and lost with the one of the best records all time with HCA despite the other team having it's star player injured.

JordansBulls
04-30-2010, 12:32 PM
Anyway congrats to Lebron for a well deserved award.

PhillySportFan
04-30-2010, 12:33 PM
According to Monta Ellis, LeBron's only the 3rd best player behind Kobe (#1) and Monta (#2). Stern rigs another award :(

This comment is so uncalled for in the LeBron MVP thread. Monta Ellis is dumb and don't even understand the game he's playing if he thinks Kobe is the best player in the league. Of course him being second is just as ridiculous.

tdunk21
04-30-2010, 12:34 PM
Lebron>Jordan

am a lebron fan and i disagree that lebron>jordan....jordan is better than lebron...

Avenged
04-30-2010, 12:35 PM
Jordan would eat Lebron alive :cool:

But congrats Lebron!

Well deserved. :clap:

JNA17
04-30-2010, 12:39 PM
well deserved, congrats :clap:

tdunk21
04-30-2010, 12:40 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=5150987

CLEVELAND -- LeBron James has joined one of the NBA's most exclusive clubs.

The Cavaliers superstar was voted the league's MVP for the second straight year, a person familiar with the announcement told The Associated Press on Friday. The person spoke on condition of anonymity because the league has not announced the results of the vote.

James, who averaged 29.7 points, 7.3 rebounds and 8.6 assists this season, will receive the trophy Sunday from commissioner David Stern at the University of Akron.

The Cavaliers play the Boston Celtics on Monday in Game 2 of their second-round playoff series.

James is the 10th NBA player to be the MVP in consecutive seasons. The 25-year-old star joins Bill Russell, Wilt Chamberlain, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, Moses Malone, Larry Bird, Magic Johnson, Michael Jordan, Tim Duncan and Steve Nash.

Russell, Chamberlain and Bird won it three times in a row.

James' win was expected after he had the finest season of his seven-year pro career. What remains to be seen is his margin of victory. Last season, James received 109 of 121 first-place votes, winning in a landslide in voting by a nationwide media panel of sportswriters and broadcasters over Los Angeles Lakers superstar Kobe Bryant, who won the award in 2008.

The Plain Dealer of Cleveland first announced that James won the award.

For the second straight year, James will accept the award in his hometown. A year ago, he went back to Akron St. Vincent-St. Mary High School, his alma mater, for a ceremony in the school's gymnasium that was attended by family, friends, former teachers and the student body.

As a high school star, James played many of his games at Rhodes Arena on Akron's campus. James also holds his summer basketball camps at the university, and the Zips are coached by Keith Dambrot, who coached the All-Star for a time in high school.

James, paired this season with center Shaquille O'Neal to help Cleveland win its first NBA title, led the Cavaliers to 61 wins in the regular season and the top seed in the playoffs. Cleveland's lineup was constantly changing because of injuries, but the Cavs could always count on James, the first forward in league history to average more than eight assists a game.

James delivered nightly jaw-dropping highlights, many of them coming at the defensive end on chase-down blocks. His value was never more obvious than when he sat out the Cavaliers' final four games, and they lost each one.

Despite playing with a strained and bruised right elbow, James averaged 31.8 points, 9.2 rebounds, 8.2 assists, 2.4 blocks and 1.2 steals as the Cavaliers eliminated Chicago in the first round of the playoffs.

"I give a lot of credit to my teammates, the coaching staff and my family," James said last week when asked about winning a second MVP. "It solidifies a lot of hard work and dedication I was able to put in the offseason to try to get better as an individual and bring it to this team."

Bullsfan22
04-30-2010, 12:50 PM
congrats to lebron my second favorite player since his rookie year.

Nighthawk
04-30-2010, 01:00 PM
DURANT got this next year

samanjerry
04-30-2010, 01:16 PM
im a sonics fan
and im fine with bron winning it. i think either one would have been a good choice

to bring the sonics from horrible season like last and make it into the offs and few games out of division lead and a scoring champ is pretty cool

samanjerry
04-30-2010, 01:17 PM
Jordan would eat Lebron alive :cool:

But congrats Lebron!

Well deserved. :clap:

i dont think so. jordan has the jumps hots over leb ron but bron would physically kill him drive him all day

jackdawson
04-30-2010, 01:28 PM
zomg no wayz!

Congrats to a well deserved candidate. He is the best player in the world.

You are a pioneer laker fan to me from today.

Toenail Clipper
04-30-2010, 01:33 PM
im a sonics fan
and im fine with bron winning it. i think either one would have been a good choice

to bring the sonics from horrible season like last and make it into the offs and few games out of division lead and a scoring champ is pretty cool

:laugh:

hugepatsfan
04-30-2010, 01:46 PM
W/out Lebron the Cavs would still compete for a playoff spot (the East sucks).

W/out Durant the Thunder would probably be one of the 5 worst teams in the league.

BKLYNNYRNYKNYY
04-30-2010, 01:59 PM
Holy Smokes, no way did bron just get a mvp.. i didnt see this comming

MaHaRaJaH
04-30-2010, 02:02 PM
He is the league's best

MaHaRaJaH
04-30-2010, 02:03 PM
im a sonics fan

Sonics fan eh?

Avenged
04-30-2010, 02:21 PM
i dont think so. jordan has the jumps hots over leb ron but bron would physically kill him drive him all day

Jordan wasn't no slouch on defense though. He has I believe 9 all defensive first team honors for a reason. And Jordan was a pretty good driver himself.

tredigs
04-30-2010, 02:32 PM
This just looks like an opinion piece to me. I didn't see anything about insider knowledge, etc. So he's just saying what everybody already knows, nothing new. But yeah, he's right.

iggypop123
04-30-2010, 02:39 PM

jordan played legit man on man defense not this ill let you go by me and ill just block you crap. and with the nba rules in jordan's era aka handcheck lebron gets raped by jordan.

Iodine
04-30-2010, 02:40 PM
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_olFWNYH7Njg/Sf_NwGWTOWI/AAAAAAAAAKk/INX9C-7HyxA/s400/suspense1ha9.jpg

GrumpyOldMan
04-30-2010, 02:46 PM
W/out Lebron the Cavs would still compete for a playoff spot (the East sucks).

W/out Durant the Thunder would probably be one of the 5 worst teams in the league.

I look at it this way....With Durant instead of Lebron the Cavs are a good team.
The Thunder with Lebron instead of Durant is a title contender.
Congrats Lebron.