PDA

View Full Version : Disappointed Nowitzki may test market

Fireworld
04-30-2010, 04:56 AM
ESPN (http://sports.espn.go.com/dallas/nba/news/story?id=5150280)
SAN ANTONIO -- Dirk Nowitzki's return to the Dallas Mavericks is no slam dunk. He could join the superstar-loaded free agency class this summer.

Nowitzki had never left much doubt that he'd stay in Dallas until the Mavericks' season ended Thursday night with a 97-87 Game 6 loss to the San Antonio Spurs. He can opt out of his contract this summer, which he indicated he would consider after the Mavericks exited in the first round for the third time in four seasons.

"I wanted to obviously have a long playoff run and go for my dream again," said Nowitzki, who would make $21.5 million next season if he doesn't opt out of his contract. "Now it's obviously too shocking and too disappointing. I haven't really thought about anything about my future yet. I guess I've got some time now to think about some stuff and think about my options.

ChiSox219
04-30-2010, 04:58 AM
Nash, Duncan, and Dirk should get together

God, would that be a fun team to watch

-Kobe24-TJ19-
04-30-2010, 05:30 AM
come to the lakers for the MLE

ldc62
04-30-2010, 05:31 AM
Nash, Duncan, and Dirk should get together

God, would that be a fun team to watch

How would this be possible?

ldc62
04-30-2010, 05:33 AM
He should go to Houston just to stick it to the Mavs for not building a better team around him.

ryder78c
04-30-2010, 05:51 AM
blazers should sign and trade for dirk give up Bayless Joel P martell webster jeff pendergraph + second round draft pick

play dirk at small forward lol i hate dirk but this team couldnt be stopped i think dirks more of a small forward anyway in a 7'0" body

PG A.Miller/mills
SG B.Roy/Rudy
SF DIRK/Batum
PF LA/Dirk/Howard
C Camby/Oden

jackdawson
04-30-2010, 06:24 AM
He has had enough chances with some great teams but it's clear that he can't get it done as the man. He is 32 I guess, so he should try to play as a second fiddle to a superstar if he wants to be remembered as an all time great. Mark Cuban should also blow the whole thing up. A Wade-Dirk or a Lebron-Dirk combo would be sick and near unstoppable.

kikeyanez
04-30-2010, 06:37 AM
dirk will hook back up with nelli an take the golden state warriors to the promise land!

Bulls_fan90
04-30-2010, 06:40 AM
blazers should sign and trade for dirk give up Bayless Joel P martell webster jeff pendergraph + second round draft pick

play dirk at small forward lol i hate dirk but this team couldnt be stopped i think dirks more of a small forward anyway in a 7'0" body

PG A.Miller/mills
SG B.Roy/Rudy
SF DIRK/Batum
PF LA/Dirk/Howard
C Camby/Oden

Yea ok, im sure Dallas would love that trade :facepalm:

MacFitz92
04-30-2010, 08:42 AM

He's scheduled to make $21.5 million next year. Keep dreaming. Dirk is just saying that because:

A) He just lost, and is probably very frustrated.

B) Trying to get Cuban to make some moves in the offseason.

tdunk21
04-30-2010, 08:44 AM
come to spurs dirk.....i promise we will get rid of bonner and u dont have to face mcdyess again

SNYmets86
04-30-2010, 08:48 AM
i like dirk but his BOSS is a lame that just runs his mouth to much .... hope to see him in another team next season

thephoenixson28
04-30-2010, 08:48 AM
To phoenix to rejoin nash.

JordansBulls
04-30-2010, 08:49 AM
Come to Chicago.

Miltown34
04-30-2010, 08:57 AM
unless Dallas will give him a ridiculous extension like say Paul Gasol money..I think for money/winning combined opting out is his best bet....Next year salaries will be down(CBA)....so if he can take 14-15 million or a bit more, 2 team up with Wade or another superstar he would have a better chance in the east.

b_russ
04-30-2010, 08:58 AM
Is he old enough yet to join the Celtics?

Miltown34
04-30-2010, 08:58 AM
To phoenix to rejoin nash.

Some fans need 2 learn that Offense can get u only so far

MacFitz92
04-30-2010, 09:13 AM
unless Dallas will give him a ridiculous extension like say Paul Gasol money..I think for money/winning combined opting out is his best bet....Next year salaries will be down(CBA)....so if he can take 14-15 million or a bit more, 2 team up with Wade or another superstar he would have a better chance in the east.

Or if Wade wants to come to Dallas? We can make it happen if Wade is willing to leave Miami.

Niro
04-30-2010, 09:19 AM
golden state always needs 7 footers :D

spoonhoops
04-30-2010, 09:39 AM
I hope Dallas does not give him an extension and let him test the market. I would love to see both sides move on because it does not seem like they are going to win together anyway. Just think if Dirk landed in New Jersey as did Joe Johnson and they landed Wall in the draft. How sweet would that be? I know it is not likely though.

JasonJohnHorn
04-30-2010, 09:47 AM
Dirk should retire in a Mavs uniform.

todu82
04-30-2010, 09:53 AM
I can't see Dirk going anywhere. He's as much a part of that team as Lebron is with the Cavs. What's Dallas' cap situation like? Maybe they could be players for someone like Chris Bosh this off-season.

Hawkeye15
04-30-2010, 10:01 AM
I think he resigns with Dallas, but really, he would be better off signing with the Heat for around $14 million a season and play alongside Wade. The Heat could ship Beasley off the Minnesota for Sessions for example, sign a MLE center, and be in business.

Suns4ever67
04-30-2010, 10:06 AM
He'd go to Miami to play with Wade. Miami will sign either Bosh, Boozer, or Dirk . . . . especially if they can keep Wade.

ackar
04-30-2010, 10:14 AM
Depending on how everything plays out with Dirk on the market it make sit better for my Bulls more options. Then we can play if you do not sign with us you we had Dirk in etc.

mrnore77
04-30-2010, 10:14 AM
I have said it for awhile now. A great fit for Dirk would be with the Magic. Dirk's deficiencies on defense would be ok, with Dwight to anchor teh defense. The Magic shoot more 3's thank any team in the league and Dirk fits the position that Rashard Lewis is occupying better than he does. I don't know how the money could work, unless the Magic found a way of getting rid of vince before his contract expires next year. Rashard's contract is too big and unattractive for anyone to accept.

But I can not think of a better fit than Dirk in a Magic Jersey

blacknell
04-30-2010, 10:18 AM

the way the NBA is rigged for LA to win rings i don't rule that idea out they will probably give them Wade and James as well for the league MIN or there be a trade for Powell for James and Brown for Wade and Beasly

ElMarroAfamado
04-30-2010, 10:23 AM
He should go to Houston just to stick it to the Mavs for not building a better team around him.

what else does he want jordan on his team?
look at the Mavs
they could come up with a decent starting lineup with their bench players..
its just something about Dirk....

mikantsass
04-30-2010, 10:23 AM
Boozer's replacement in Utah?

mikantsass
04-30-2010, 10:24 AM
Is he old enough yet to join the Celtics?

We play defense and are tough.... Dirk does not play defense and he is a *****

Gibby23
04-30-2010, 10:25 AM
He should go to the Thunder, they have some money to spend.

Rivera
04-30-2010, 10:28 AM
Dirks best fit is with Orlando when the offseason begins I think Vince would only have one yr left on the contract so sign n trade him n either bass or anderson

Orlando will have a go to scorer at end of games n Dwight will make Dirk look good on D and lewis should b better going back to sf

go to Orlando Dirk it makes perfect sense

Gibby23
04-30-2010, 10:31 AM
Dirks best fit is with Orlando when the offseason begins I think Vince would only have one yr left on the contract so sign n trade him n either bass or anderson

Orlando will have a go to scorer at end of games n Dwight will make Dirk look good on D and lewis should b better going back to sf

Mark Cuban wouldn't trade Dirk in a S & T if dirk wanted to leave unless he got a star back, he wouldn't take Vince even though he is expiring. He coulod let Dirk walk and take the Cap savings a year early instead of paying Vince for a year.

Miltown34
04-30-2010, 10:41 AM
Or if Wade wants to come to Dallas? We can make it happen if Wade is willing to leave Miami.

Yeah, but Wades team has the most cap room possible to give almost 2 max contracts(this is with Wades option at over 17 mil next season also, according to Hoopshype Miami payroll) so the possibly could have more, draft picks, and (mid-level exception).....I think Wade would rather stay in Miami, knowing Pat Riley could get Bosh and another couple good pieces, than 2 come 2 Dallas and do a sign and trade

Miltown34
04-30-2010, 10:43 AM
the way the NBA is rigged for LA to win rings i don't rule that idea out they will probably give them Wade and James as well for the league MIN or there be a trade for Powell for James and Brown for Wade and Beasly

But owners and have 2 agree to a trade, and James and wade have 2 agree 2 take the vets min :facepalm:

JNA17
04-30-2010, 10:47 AM
lakers for MLE. You know you want to play with Pau ;)

McAllen Tx
04-30-2010, 10:50 AM
The Lakers could offer Gasol in a S/T. He is like 3 yrs younger then Dirk so that would keep Dallas's window of opportunity to win a championship open a little longer.

mrnore77
04-30-2010, 10:51 AM

I agree. But I don't think we have anything that Dallas wants. They May be open to taking Jameer, Expiring contract of vince and maybe a 1st. But with youn player Beaubois, not sure if they need a point guard.

Wyatt7
04-30-2010, 10:58 AM
YEAH!! DIRK GO TO THE EAST HA... That would be awesome.. Dirk and Wade together would be nuts. Honestly I see him as Bobcat or Possible...A BUCK MAYBE??

RipVW
04-30-2010, 11:00 AM
21.5 million dollars. Come on, guys.

Lakers4ItAll
04-30-2010, 11:07 AM
Mavs will never win with Dirk as there #1 option

AIMelo=KillaDUO
04-30-2010, 11:11 AM
He's goin to Denver.

WadeCounty
04-30-2010, 11:14 AM
I always thought he had above average team mates for all these years... idk why, and I have no actual stat proof or anything to support this but.. In MY EYES, I just don't see him as being THE GUY that will get it done at the end of the day. I mean he does get it done when he needs to, certain possessions, clutch shots, but I guess i'm trying to say I just don't see that killer instinct in his eyes. Idk :\

Avenged
04-30-2010, 11:20 AM
Come on Laker fans, stop with the pipe dreams.

I think he should remain a Maverick but if I was him, I'd leave. At his age, I'd want to win a championship and Dallas just isn't going to cut it, apparently. He would flourish with a guy like Wade or Lebron, but Nowitzki is still a top player regardless. Imagine him teaming up with Wade? the one who shattered his dreams from winning a championship.

And someone mentioned he's just saying this so Cuban can make some offseason moves, well I'm going to disagree slightly. Cuban has done all he can to bring a championship to Dallas. The team he assembled should've been contending for a championship not ousted in the first round.

Brooklyn Mets
04-30-2010, 11:21 AM
Dirk would be an idiot to turn down 21.5 mill..
he can take his shot at the free agent market next year..

Wade_County
04-30-2010, 11:38 AM
hes not going anywhere, not way he passes on 21.5 million

The_Pharouh
04-30-2010, 11:39 AM
I think he resigns with Dallas, but really, he would be better off signing with the Heat for around $14 million a season and play alongside Wade. The Heat could ship Beasley off the Minnesota for Sessions for example, sign a MLE center, and be in business.

Dirk would never sign for heat,Rockets&Spurs
those will be huge betrayal to his team

I have said it for awhile now. A great fit for Dirk would be with the Magic. Dirk's deficiencies on defense would be ok, with Dwight to anchor teh defense. The Magic shoot more 3's thank any team in the league and Dirk fits the position that Rashard Lewis is occupying better than he does. I don't know how the money could work, unless the Magic found a way of getting rid of vince before his contract expires next year. Rashard's contract is too big and unattractive for anyone to accept.

But I can not think of a better fit than Dirk in a Magic Jersey

I agree that he is best fit with the Magic,as a Mavs fan I always wanted a guy like D Howard to help Dirk ,the main problem that I think Dirk will want it a S&T to help the mavs so that he doesn't leave for nothing,what do the Magic have to offer beside VC???!!!

tbh if he decided to leave the mavs I wish it will be for OKC,thet have some young players and picks to give us and he will have a great chance winning it their

I always thought he had above average team mates for all these years... idk why, and I have no actual stat proof or anything to support this but.. In MY EYES, I just don't see him as being THE GUY that will get it done at the end of the day. I mean he does get it done when he needs to, certain possessions, clutch shots, but I guess i'm trying to say I just don't see that killer instinct in his eyes. Idk :\
Dirk can win it as the man,he was 2 games a way from that,obviously he need a better team around him than guys like Kobe need

he said it millions of time that he have enough money that he and his family will never have to work again,actually in 2008 b4 the mavs get too many contracts he said that he would opt out and sign for far less money so that we can get another superstar through FA
money isn't the issue ,He said all he want to is to get a ring with the Mavs
the big question does the bold part still in his mind and he was just saying that when he was upset after the game?

RaiderLakersA's
04-30-2010, 11:41 AM
The Lakers could offer Gasol in a S/T. He is like 3 yrs younger then Dirk so that would keep Dallas's window of opportunity to win a championship open a little longer.

I don't see Dirk coming to LA to replace Pau.

I could see Dirk leaving the Mavs to play with LeBron.

GSW Hoops
04-30-2010, 11:41 AM
If you can get locked down by Antonio McDyess in an elimination game, you're probably not a superstar.

RaiderLakersA's
04-30-2010, 11:42 AM
If you can get locked down by Antonio McDyess in an elimination game, you're probably not a superstar.

McDyess = Dirk Stopper. :)

D Blue987
04-30-2010, 11:43 AM
This is going to be one of the better off seasons that I can remember in a long time. Going to be extremely interesting to see where all the superstars go.

Gibby23
04-30-2010, 11:43 AM

So, 13-21 shooting for 33 points is getting locked down these days?

mrnore77
04-30-2010, 12:00 PM
Giving up 21 million isn't what he would be giving up. He would be giving up the difference of what ever he makes next year. I personally think that If Lebron stays put, and D wade stays put, Dirk would vault to the top of the free agent list. Miami could afford him. But his current team is a better fit than the teams with money. So he stays put if he does not do a sign and trade .

But Dirk in a Magic jersey.. imjusayin

RaiderLakersA's
04-30-2010, 12:01 PM

I didn't think the Magic had any room left to sign anyone. :confused:

Jack Daniels
04-30-2010, 12:01 PM

Really bro? This again... Take it to the thread they already got going on this ******** idea. Ya Ya Ya the NBA is Rigged because Dallas loses in the Post Season when they should win, and the Lakers win championships, etc. etc. etc. Please shut the **** up.

GSW Hoops
04-30-2010, 12:08 PM
So, 13-21 shooting for 33 points is getting locked down these days?

It is when your team scores 8 points in the first quarter of an elimination game.

Did you watch the game or just read the box score?

RaiderLakersA's
04-30-2010, 12:10 PM
the way the NBA is rigged for LA to win rings...

Suuuure. You know who doesn't believe that. The Spurs, the Celtics, and every other team that has won a championship in the last couple of decades.

still1ballin
04-30-2010, 12:12 PM
Not surprised

ballpd05
04-30-2010, 12:25 PM
He'd be best in Chicago. Dirk and D Rose can create alot of offense. Then D Rose doesn't have to shoot so much as point guard and be more of a playmaker. With Noah helping out and Taj Gibson ever so often coming in to help D I think they would be serious in the East.

I don't know what the Mavs problem was. I don't think you can even blame Dirk defensively. Tim Duncan had 3 or 4 pedestrian games, he averaged over 25 a game in the series. Maybe you blame him because they have to help, but he was guarding guys who weren't necessarily scoring. I just think the spurs were better this year.

RipVW
04-30-2010, 12:29 PM
Giving up 21 million isn't what he would be giving up. He would be giving up the difference of what ever he makes next year. I personally think that If Lebron stays put, and D wade stays put, Dirk would vault to the top of the free agent list. Miami could afford him. But his current team is a better fit than the teams with money. So he stays put if he does not do a sign and trade .

Thats a 30% difference. Thats not really insignifcant.

GSW Hoops
04-30-2010, 12:32 PM
Dirk can come to Golden State and throw up as many wild shots as he wants. And he won't have to worry about getting tossed in the first round of the playoffs because he probably won't even make it.

mrnore77
04-30-2010, 12:33 PM
I didn't think the Magic had any room left to sign anyone. :confused:

Magic don't have money, But we have a 7 millon trade exception. If we can trade for an expiring contract that we can waive, and maybe do a sign and trade for Dirk, but that's really too much to shoot for.

Although Gortat is who the Mavs wanted. Maybe a package of Gortat, jameer and Anderson for Dirk and a thrown in could work.

Gibby23
04-30-2010, 12:37 PM
It is when your team scores 8 points in the first quarter of an elimination game.

Did you watch the game or just read the box score?

I watched, and the 8 points in the first doesn't mean anything because they were able to take the lead late in the 3rd. Dirk got better as the game progressed.

krest213
04-30-2010, 12:38 PM
Dirk coming to the spurs.. we owed Dirk a couple rings..
thats the least we can do..Mark my words.

Nighthawk
04-30-2010, 12:40 PM
Dirk should come to the East coast and join the Green team. Forget max contracts, just take our MLE :) Id take Dirk and Rondo all day

RaiderLakersA's
04-30-2010, 12:47 PM
Magic don't have money, But we have a 7 millon trade exception. If we can trade for an expiring contract that we can waive, and maybe do a sign and trade for Dirk, but that's really too much to shoot for.

Although Gortat is who the Mavs wanted. Maybe a package of Gortat, jameer and Anderson for Dirk and a thrown in could work.

The Mavs wanted Gortat at the beginning of the season before making the move to sign Haywood, I thought. I don't think they'd need him now. Certainly not as a package deal for Dirk. I agree that adding Dirk to the Magic would be a great move, but I'm not sure if it's feasible. It would certainly add fire to the offseason if Dirk were to opt out of his contract.

mrblisterdundee
04-30-2010, 12:49 PM
I've written it before, and I will write it again: Dirk Nowitzki is too soft to lead a team to a championship. The first mistake Mark Cuban made was building around Dirk. He needs to be the second option, like Pau Gasol is to Kobe. Maybe the Mavericks should figure out how to drop Jason Terry and Caron Butler, in order to get Dwayne Wade and win a championship while Dirk is still in his early 30s.

Ansy
04-30-2010, 01:20 PM
I've written it before, and I will write it again: Dirk Nowitzki is too soft to lead a team to a championship. The first mistake Mark Cuban made was building around Dirk. He needs to be the second option, like Pau Gasol is to Kobe. Maybe the Mavericks should figure out how to drop Jason Terry and Caron Butler, in order to get Dwayne Wade and win a championship while Dirk is still in his early 30s.

I wouldn't call it a mistake. 10 straight years in the playoffs and multiple 60 win seasons is a damn good run.