PDA

View Full Version : Kings' Evans Officially named ROY

tredigs
04-29-2010, 08:06 PM
http://www.nba.com/2010/news/04/29/ROY.release/

Tyreke Evans of the Sacramento Kings is the recipient of the Eddie Gottlieb Trophy as the 2009-10 T-Mobile NBA Rookie of the Year, the NBA announced Thursday.
Evans received 67 first-place votes (491 points) from a panel of 123 sportswriters and broadcasters throughout the United States and Canada. Golden State's Stephen Curry finished second with 391 points and Milwaukee's Brandon Jennings finished third with 204 points. Players were awarded five points for each first-place vote, three points for each second-place vote and one point for each third-place vote.

Good work to 'em.

DerekRE_3
04-29-2010, 08:10 PM
The Layup King
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vA1VOdraxLg

Kakaroach
04-29-2010, 08:16 PM
He deserved it, good on ya TyFreak.

KG2TB
04-29-2010, 08:31 PM
Congrats to Reke. He deserved it. Dude is a BEAST!

Rodney Stuckey
04-29-2010, 08:36 PM
old news right?

Valkyrie
04-29-2010, 08:41 PM
Jennings deserved it more, lead his team to a better record and is now on the brink of making the 2nd round. I don't see why the ROY award can't sometimes be judged like the MVP award as well, basing it off team success. Jennings deserved it more.

TheKing23
04-29-2010, 08:47 PM
jennings deserved it more, lead his team to a better record and is now on the brink of making the 2nd round. I don't see why the roy award can't sometimes be judged like the mvp award as well, basing it off team success. Jennings deserved it more.

37.1%

tredigs
04-29-2010, 08:51 PM
Jennings deserved it more, lead his team to a better record and is now on the brink of making the 2nd round. I don't see why the ROY award can't sometimes be judged like the MVP award as well, basing it off team success. Jennings deserved it more.

Because the best rookies go to the worst teams, generally. Is that tough to comprehend? The later you are drafted, the better chance it is that you play for a playoff caliber team.

KG2TB
04-29-2010, 08:51 PM
Put Tyreke on the Bucks and see what happens. This was Reke's award with Steph Curry making a nice push but he came on a little too late.

n83417
04-29-2010, 09:03 PM
The Layup King
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vA1VOdraxLg

On probably half of those highlights he should have been called for traveling. But they do not call that anymore.

n83417
04-29-2010, 09:07 PM

Of all players that qualified, (118 players) Jennings had the worst FG%. Of all players that made 300 FG (3.65 FG made per game) Jennings had the worst FG percentage. I don't think a player that was the absolute worst in the NBA should be getting serious consideration for a pretty major award.

The worst Field Goal Percentage in the entire NBA. .371= terrible.

DerekRE_3
04-29-2010, 09:18 PM
On probably half of those highlights he should have been called for traveling. But they do not call that anymore.

:yawn:

Iggz53
04-29-2010, 09:20 PM
Cudos. Arguably the best NBA rookie season since Timmy.

4th player ever to average 20/5/5 in his first year.

sw20
04-29-2010, 10:09 PM
Jennings deserved it more, lead his team to a better record Yea Bogut says hi. :rolleyes:

montazingmvp
04-30-2010, 01:16 AM

jennings didn't lead anything...he happily hid/followed behind bogut and salmons...

montazingmvp
04-30-2010, 01:20 AM
Cudos. Arguably the best NBA rookie season since Timmy.

4th player ever to average 20/5/5 in his first year.

stephen curry was the second ever to average atleast 17.5pts 5.9ast 4.5reb and 1.9stls...
the other player being magic johnson..well i guess curry is on his way to a magic johnson like career:rolleyes:...

don't you just love these arbitrary statistics...that mean nothing.

and this is no disrespect to jennings...i think he deserved the award...

but the 20 5 5 thing means diddly ****ing squat

tredigs
04-30-2010, 01:38 AM
stephen curry was the second ever to average atleast 17.5pts 5.9ast 4.5reb and 1.9stls...
the other player being magic johnson..well i guess curry is on his way to a magic johnson like career:rolleyes:...

don't you just love these arbitrary statistics...that mean nothing.

and this is no disrespect to jennings...i think he deserved the award...

but the 20 5 5 thing means diddly ****ing squat

That's actually VERY interesting. Funny how because they're not round numbers, it doesn't get near the attention. But couple that in with the near best ever efficiency numbers for a rookie and him hitting the most 3's ever by a rookie, and I'd say that's a much more impressive statistical season.

edit: I also think you're crazy for thinking Jennings should have gotten the award, but that's another matter. Though he has been great in the playoffs, but that's a null-factor.

Giantwarrior
04-30-2010, 01:56 AM
I think Curry should have gotten co-ROY. everyone says that Curry's numbers are inflated because he plays in an uptempo style in Golden State.

but actually....

Tyreke shot more shots then curry this year, and he is averaging 37% FG percentage.

thats awful.

DerekRE_3
04-30-2010, 01:59 AM
I think Curry should have gotten co-ROY. everyone says that Curry's numbers are inflated because he plays in an uptempo style in Golden State.

but actually....

Tyreke shot more shots then curry this year, and he is averaging 37% FG percentage.

thats awful.

Tyreke shot 45.8% from the field this season. Brandon Jennings shot 37%.

asandhu23
04-30-2010, 02:03 AM
This should have been a Co Rookie of the Year award. Congrats to Tyreke and **** you to Stern

DerekRE_3
04-30-2010, 02:06 AM
This should have been a Co Rookie of the Year award. Congrats to Tyreke and **** you to Stern

I think you mean **** you to all the writers that didn't vote for Curry. Stern had nothing to do with it. And it shouldn't have been co rookie of the year because Tyreke got 100 more points in the voting, and deservedly so.

tredigs
04-30-2010, 02:06 AM

What does Stern have to do with it? The fact that he didn't let his dad vote (which I think is fair)? Curry got a lot of first place votes, but Tyreke still had a healthy lead (491 to 391). Stern did not affect a thing that I can see.

Kingz4L
04-30-2010, 02:15 AM

haha that was actually very funny, one interesting thing I heard on ESPN is that all 4 rookies that averaged 20,5,5 won MVP later in their career..anyone think Tyreke has a legit shot at receiving that award sometime in his career?

tredigs
04-30-2010, 02:19 AM
haha that was actually very funny, one interesting thing I heard on ESPN is that all 4 rookies that averaged 20,5,5 won MVP later in their career..anyone think Tyreke has a legit shot at receiving that award sometime in his career?

And all 1 players to average atleast 17.5pts 5.9ast 4.5reb and 1.9stl won multiple MVPs, and multiple rings. Anybody think Curry has a legit chance at that? ; ]

Giantwarrior
04-30-2010, 12:16 PM
I actually dont really care about the ROY award. congrats to Tyreke, he had a great year. Im glad the Warriors have a player like Curry on the team.

I still cant believe Minnesota passed on him twice.

GSW Hoops
04-30-2010, 01:13 PM
Good for Tyreke. Glad to see Curry got a healthy amount of votes, but Tyreke deserved the award.