PDA

View Full Version : Bill Simmons: NBA Playoffs Human Power Rankings.

D Roses Bulls
04-29-2010, 04:55 PM
interesting read. i agree with the number 1 ranking.

3. LeBron James
Allow me to nitpick "Mona Lisa" for a second. In Game 4, he played one of the best random playoff games I have ever seen in my life: 37 points, 12 rebounds, 11 assists, one half-court shot, seven missed shots total (including free throws), one hellacious block and 36 minutes of cutthroat, MJ-like intensity. You could tell by his face within 20 seconds of tipoff that the Cavs weren't losing that game.

One game later, the Cavs were about to close out Chicago. LeBron is at the line, up three, with seven seconds remaining. His elbow is bothering him. He wants us to know this. He makes the first free throw to clinch the game. For the second free throw, he shifts his stance and shoots it left-handed ... and misses it. During Chicago's ensuing possession, he holds his limp arm like it's broken and winces through the final play. In the postgame interviews, he claims that he's fine, and nobody pushes him on it ... meanwhile, HE SHOT A FREE THROW LEFT-HANDED IN A FOUR-POINT PLAYOFF GAME! What??????????? Either ...

A. His elbow is genuinely injured and the Celtics have a chance in Round 2.

B. LeBron caught the Flu Game on ESPN Classic, said to himself, "I'm too indestructible right now, this is becoming a no-win situation. If I win the title, everyone will say I should have won the title. Maybe I'll milk this elbow injury, lower everyone's expectations a little and generate some false sympathy heading into Round 2."

It's one or the other. Either way, the door has been opened for a once-dead 2009-10 Celtics team. Just a little.

(By the way, Casey in Hoboken, N.J., has a great idea for Boston fans in Round 2: "It's been the story all year, yet no crowd has used it to their advantage. If this was college basketball we would have heard it months ago. Imagine 18,000 fans chanting "LEBRON IS LEAVING" or "NEW YORK KNICKS!" every time LeBron was shooting free throws. It may not distract LeBron, but all his teammates would definitely get affected. Right?" Right. I'd take it a step further: If the Celtics blow out Cleveland in Game 3 or Game 4, they just sing Sinatra's entire "New York, New York" song. Any edge counts.)

2. Deron Williams, Carlos Boozer (tie)
We learned a valuable lesson here: No "injury-riddled team" can be counted out in the playoffs if they still have their best two guys. By the way, I'm about to have a Shawn Michaels/Marty Janetty moment with Chris Paul ... so hold on tight ... but I can't fight it anymore. Deron Williams is officially the best point guard alive. For the old "Independence Day" scenario in which aliens land on earth and challenge us to a game of basketball for the future of the universe, if we could pick only five guys, Williams, LeBron, Wade, Howard and Melo would have to be the five.

(Well, unless you're a Lakers fan. Then you'd pick LeBron, Bynum, Gasol, Kobe and Jordan Farmar.)

1. Dwyane Wade
His Game 4 against the Celtics (46 points, just eight missed shots) was one of the highest degree-of-difficulty performances I can ever remember watching. It had already been established that (A) his team sucked, (B) the Celtics were going to swarm him at the 3-point line any time he thought about driving, (C) they were going to double him coming off any screen, and (D) any time he drove into the paint, the entire Boston team was going to collapse on him. Didn't matter. After he caught fire in the fourth, the Celtics double-teamed him 35 feet from the basket. He still got his points. This wasn't a great game as much as a great performance -- to paraphrase the great Bill Walton, Wade controlled the flow of the game and did it with real meaning.

Read the entire article (http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/100429)

Hawkeye15
04-29-2010, 04:58 PM
haha, these top 3 are right on. I love his poke at LeBron, and yes, that Wade performance was nasty.

D Roses Bulls
04-29-2010, 04:59 PM
haha, these top 3 are right on. I love his poke at LeBron, and yes, that Wade performance was nasty.

exactly what i was thinking and the poke at the laker fans, lol :)

kArSoN RyDaH
04-29-2010, 05:04 PM
hit it on the spot with the lebron thing. lmaooo

SteveNash
04-29-2010, 05:09 PM
1st and 3rd should be switched.

D Roses Bulls
04-29-2010, 05:11 PM
1st and 3rd should be switched.

what????? after what you just read with simmons you think lebron should be number 1? WTF? how do you figure?

TheKing23
04-29-2010, 05:17 PM
Spot on.

I love Bill Simmons and honestly don't even have a problem with his little poke at my beloved LeBron, cos to be honest, I agree with him.

SteveNash
04-29-2010, 05:21 PM
what????? after what you just read with simmons you think lebron should be number 1? WTF? how do you figure?

LeBron shooting left handed up 4 is not nearly as bad as Wade taking an early 3 during game 3 with the game tied.

RipVW
04-29-2010, 05:25 PM
Shouldnt all things Bill Simmons be posted in the Celtics forum?

Avenged
04-29-2010, 05:31 PM
LOL @ the poke at Lebron and Lakers fans.

:laugh2:

D Roses Bulls
04-29-2010, 05:36 PM
LOL @ the poke at Lebron and Lakers fans.

:laugh2:

simmons making fun of the lakers is no surprise, but simmons making fun of lebron and ESPN allowing it is a surprise. i wonder if ESPN will fine simmons 35k for doing so.

D Roses Bulls
04-29-2010, 05:36 PM
LeBron shooting left handed up 4 is not nearly as bad as Wade taking an early 3 during game 3 with the game tied.

thats not really an argument IMO

Rodney Stuckey
04-29-2010, 05:37 PM
old news

Rodney Stuckey
04-29-2010, 05:38 PM
and hes right

Rodney Stuckey
04-29-2010, 05:52 PM

chomaru
04-29-2010, 05:53 PM
(The good news for Magic fans: If the Hawks complete their epic collapse this weekend, Howard gets to feast on a Kurt Thomas/Dan Gadzuric/Ersan Ilyasova trio in Round 2. The Bucks might have to bring Andrew Bogut back for that series, stick a hard plaster cast on his arm like Iron Mike Sharpe, then throw him out there to club Howard around. Could you beat the Magic with Hack-A-Howard by using 24 fouls a game? Don't think Scott Skiles isn't mulling it over.)

I was just reading this, wouldnt the Cavs get the Bucks if they advance?

D Roses Bulls
04-29-2010, 05:55 PM
(The good news for Magic fans: If the Hawks complete their epic collapse this weekend, Howard gets to feast on a Kurt Thomas/Dan Gadzuric/Ersan Ilyasova trio in Round 2. The Bucks might have to bring Andrew Bogut back for that series, stick a hard plaster cast on his arm like Iron Mike Sharpe, then throw him out there to club Howard around. Could you beat the Magic with Hack-A-Howard by using 24 fouls a game? Don't think Scott Skiles isn't mulling it over.)

I was just reading this, wouldnt the Cavs get the Bucks if they advance?

no cause the NBA change it up and used a bracket sort of playoff ranking. so the bucks would play the magic if they beat the hawks

chomaru
04-29-2010, 05:56 PM
no cause the NBA change it up and used a bracket sort of playoff ranking. so the bucks would play the magic if they beat the hawks

the Cavs must think thats fair...

D Roses Bulls
04-29-2010, 05:59 PM
the Cavs must think thats fair...

well who would of thought the hawks were on the brink of being eliminated from a bogut-less bucks team

chomaru
04-29-2010, 06:06 PM
26. Manu Ginobili
Forgot how much I missed watching him. He's one of like five current players who could get away with playing with a giant maxi-pad on his face.

Corey
04-29-2010, 06:09 PM
Simmons is one of the best writers out there right now.

Love all of his articles.

D Roses Bulls
04-29-2010, 06:11 PM
"Their 2010 playoff performances were a co-written love letter to LeBron and Wade. Here's what the letter said:

Dear LeBron and Dwyane,

We are wired correctly. We give a crap. We want to win. We are really really good. We are warriors. We could absolutely be the second-best and third-best guys on a team that wins multiple titles. Sadly, this can't happen without one of you. Please think about Chicago. It's cold during the winter, but during the spring and summer, there's no better place. It's the No. 3 TV market. It's the city that once had the greatest player ever. We're firing our coach and GM this summer; if you want, you can pick the next two guys. We want to win titles. Not title ... titles. By the way, Joakim wants you to know that he isn't nearly as annoying if he's your teammate.

Much respect,
Joakim and Derrick"

simmons has hated noah since last year.

D Roses Bulls
04-29-2010, 06:14 PM

he's a good writer and probably the best ESPN has, but he is just so biased towards the celtics in his writings. that's his one fault

MacFitz92
04-29-2010, 06:29 PM
I agree for the most part on this list.

RipVW
04-29-2010, 06:32 PM

He sucks. And his stuff isnt so much articles as much as its a m*sshole newsletter.

wileyisTOFU
04-29-2010, 06:55 PM
simmons making fun of the lakers is no surprise, but simmons making fun of lebron and ESPN allowing it is a surprise. i wonder if ESPN will fine simmons 35k for doing so.

he kinda already takes pot shots at espn all the time, minor pot shots, but pot shots none the less

wileyisTOFU
04-29-2010, 06:58 PM
he's a good writer and probably the best ESPN has, but he is just so biased towards the celtics in his writings. that's his one fault

So you'd rather have a writer full of **** trying not to biased?

D Roses Bulls
04-29-2010, 06:58 PM
he kinda already takes pot shots at espn all the time, minor pot shots, but pot shots none the less

yea, eventually all the writers for the company start making fun of ESPN cause of how biased and TMZ like they are

D Roses Bulls
04-29-2010, 06:59 PM
So you'd rather have a writer full of **** trying not to biased?

well it would be nice if he can write one article without it including the celtics or how great the celtics were or something along those lines.

ldc62
04-29-2010, 07:28 PM
I like Vince Carter's the most.

Sox Appeal
04-29-2010, 07:37 PM
62. Vince Carter
In his honor, I'm mailing this paragraph in.

:laugh:

ManRam
04-29-2010, 07:57 PM
Simmons is the best thing ESPN has going for it...and that's a good thing. I know a lot of casual sports fan who ask me every week if I've read his newest article. They eat it up. I eat it up. Such fun, insightful and non-boring insight on the world of sports...and pop culture...and life...and awesomeness.

This was a good read. Love the Vince Carter comment. Hahahaha....

Kakaroach
04-29-2010, 08:00 PM
Simmons is awesome, he puts a lot of work into what he does.

And nice to see Boozer and D. Will so high up on the list.

RaysFan
04-29-2010, 11:52 PM

Because LeBron has had the best playoffs so far. You want me to give Wade props for playing on a bad team? Remember when LBJ was on crap teams like Wade was on this year? They at least competed and won a few rounds of the playoffs.

ldc62
04-30-2010, 12:35 AM
Simmons is the best writer on ESPN. I like his style even if it reminds me of highschool type (Blog) writing.

D Roses Bulls
04-30-2010, 04:16 AM
Because LeBron has had the best playoffs so far. You want me to give Wade props for playing on a bad team? Remember when LBJ was on crap teams like Wade was on this year? They at least competed and won a few rounds of the playoffs.

but it wasn't best player, it was best human and even so lebron had a better team back then. best human was wade, not lebron tryin to get get pity ike simmons said, look at the cavs fans that wroteo n this and they even agreed

KnicksorBust
04-30-2010, 08:44 AM
I love Bill Simmons. I read the Book of Basketball cover to cover twice and pick it up and re-read sections 3-4x per week. ... still didn't enjoy this article.

D Roses Bulls
04-30-2010, 04:10 PM
I love Bill Simmons. I read the Book of Basketball cover to cover twice and pick it up and re-read sections 3-4x per week. ... still didn't enjoy this article.

huh really? cause this is actually one bill simmons article i actually enjoyed and i really dont enjoy too many articles he writes.

DaBUU
04-30-2010, 04:34 PM
Good article, Im gonna give Simmons a look see from now on.