PDA

View Full Version : Kevin Durant on Kobe Bryant

kArSoN RyDaH
04-29-2010, 04:04 PM
"I don't understand why people say he's lost a step," Durant said outside the Thunder locker room before Game 5 on Tuesday night. "He's the greatest player in the game. There are only a couple guys who can turn it on and off like him and get 15 in a row and also get 10 assists and get their guys involved. He's probably the best ever. You can't say that he's lost a step. He's the same Kobe from a while back, maybe he's not dunking on a lot of guys like he was back in '01, '02 but he's still the same Kobe."

"You never know what Kobe is going to do," Durant said. "He can turn it on and off so easily. You got to be ready for him to hit 10 in a row. A guy like that can get hot at any time. [In Game 4] I thought he was going to [go off], but he kind of deferred to his teammates and tried to get everybody involved. It's better when he tries to get everyone involved, that's Kobe Bryant. Once he gets 12 or 13 points in the first quarter that's the Black Mamba. We want him to be Kobe Bryant not Black Mamba. Our toughest job is stopping the Black Mamba."

"You all are killing me, man, you all killing me with this," Durant said. "Kobe Bryant is the best player in the league, one of the best players in the world. You're talking to me like he played a phenomenal game which is something he normally doesn't do. He's Kobe Bryant, he's going to come out and lead his team. That's what he's been doing for 12 or 13 years. He's a guy who doesn't need to score on this team to win games now. Maybe a couple years he has to but now he can get everybody involved."

http://sports.espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/columns/story?id=5142029

Baller1
04-29-2010, 04:07 PM
I still think Lebron is the best in the league, but Durant is right for the most part.

Kobe is incredible, and he's not the same player he used to be; but that doesn't mean he's not one of the best.

Hawkeye15
04-29-2010, 04:09 PM
well, here is hoping to Durant getting to the finals this year, and LeBron as well, and maybe Durant will see who the best really is.
As said before, many of the very young players grew up idolizing Kobe. That factors in. But anyone can see at this point that LeBron is clearly better, and even Wade, and possibly Durant himself, have a case over Kobe.
Age, injuries, and games played happens. There is nothing you can do about it.

Bruno
04-29-2010, 04:14 PM
I love this guy, and the Thunder. It's a damn shame the Lakers had to play them in the first round, theyve become better than a lot of the teams who were ranked ahead of them. When do you see someone with such talent show this much respect. He didn't have to say any of it.

tredigs
04-29-2010, 04:18 PM
Lebron and Durant are friends, Kobe was an idol of his growing up, along with Tracy McGrady. Not to say that Kobe isn't amazing, but if he grew up watch MJ in his prime like I did (although I'm only a few years older, but he missed the boat), then he wouldn't be saying ridiculous stuff like "maybe the best ever".

Kobe is great, and that's fine that he's showing him the utmost respect, but like Hawkeye said, there's a guy in Cleveland that may be looking to show him who's the best.

Here's hoping for a Cavs/Lakers finals...

Bruno
04-29-2010, 04:18 PM
well, here is hoping to Durant getting to the finals this year, and LeBron as well, and maybe Durant will see who the best really is.
As said before, many of the very young players grew up idolizing Kobe. That factors in. But anyone can see at this point that LeBron is clearly better, and even Wade, and possibly Durant himself, have a case over Kobe.

Thats true. KD was still only 15 or so when James was drafted, but I can for sure see him looking up to Kobe that much more- he is ten years older. Who knows though, maybe KD just looks up to Kobes game the most- maybe LeBron is more of a peer, mentally than Bryant- who is so much older. You never know, he's played against both.

Carey
04-29-2010, 04:19 PM
Yea KD is usually laid back but he got kinda annoyed by the notion that Kobe has lost a step. It's good to see a young guy with genuine respect for the players that came before him.

Hawkeye15
04-29-2010, 04:21 PM
Thats true. KD was still only 15 or so when James was drafted, but I can for sure see him looking up to Kobe that much more- he is ten years older. Who knows though, maybe KD just looks up to Kobes game the most- maybe LeBron is more of a peer, mentally than Bryant- who is so much older. You never know, he's played against both.

yep. And its everyones right to think what they like. If he really thinks Kobe is the best, there is absolutely nothing wrong with that. Many players value career achievement and longevity at dominance more, and Kobe isn't exactly an old man. The fall off from LeBron isn't that big. So I would guess a lot of players still have Kobe #1. Nothing wrong with it, he has what they want. He has what LeBron wants. May be the mentality, until the king is knocked off, he is the king.
But in reality, yes, the rational basketball fan or player should know LeBron has had a better year.

BKLYNNYRNYKNYY
04-29-2010, 04:25 PM
Its nice to see true respect in the game, you dont see that a lot anymore (Noah vs. Bron)(Shaq vs. Dwight)

JordansBulls
04-29-2010, 04:26 PM
Lebron and Durant are friends, Kobe was an idol of his growing up, along with Tracy McGrady. Not to say that Kobe isn't amazing, but if he grew up watch MJ in his prime like I did (although I'm only a few years older, but he missed the boat), then he wouldn't be saying ridiculous stuff like "maybe the best ever".

Kobe is great, and that's fine that he's showing him the utmost respect, but like Hawkeye said, there's a guy in Cleveland that may be looking to show him who's the best.

He was referring to in the NBA today. I think you are looking too much into his words. There is a difference in saying the "greatest in the game" and then the "greatest ever or greatest of all time".

Iodine
Is it bad that tredigs and hawkeye being awesome is one of the only consistent things in my life right now?

kArSoN RyDaH
agree with all the statements above. kevin durant truely is a respectable player in this league.

tredigs
04-29-2010, 04:46 PM
He was referring to in the NBA today. I think you are looking too much into his words. There is a difference in saying the "greatest in the game" and then the "greatest ever or greatest of all time".

KD: "... He's probably the best ever. You can't say that he's lost a step."

I take that as all time, no?

And lmao IO, it's perfectly healthy don't even sweat.

dtmagnet
04-29-2010, 04:47 PM
Stop kissing his shoes KD you're supposed to be opponents! I hate this love-fest crap that goes on between the players these days, sure you can respect the guy but don't go professing your love for him in an interview.

tredigs
04-29-2010, 04:50 PM
Stop kissing his shoes KD you're supposed to be opponents! I hate this love-fest crap that goes on between the players these days, sure you can respect the guy but don't go professing your love for him in an interview.

I agree with this too. If he's going to say this at all, should be after the series. Hopefully he's pulling a rope-a-dope and he laces Kobe up and down the court while calling his mother a whore in game 6. ...What?

kArSoN RyDaH
04-29-2010, 04:51 PM

i believe the media kept asking him questions regarding kobe bryant and he got kind of frustrated, well at least how they made it seem in the article, and just told them how he felt about kobe bryant...only bc they kept asking him questions i think tho.

Bruno
04-29-2010, 04:53 PM
yep. And its everyones right to think what they like. If he really thinks Kobe is the best, there is absolutely nothing wrong with that. Many players value career achievement and longevity at dominance more, and Kobe isn't exactly an old man. The fall off from LeBron isn't that big. So I would guess a lot of players still have Kobe #1. Nothing wrong with it, he has what they want. He has what LeBron wants. May be the mentality, until the king is knocked off, he is the king.
But in reality, yes, the rational basketball fan or player should know LeBron has had a better year.

Better two years really. Even though the Cavs lost in the playoffs LeBron still posted an outrageous PER of 37.4 through 14 games. Bryant posted a PER of 26.8 for last years playoffs, which isn't even close to what James did. But at the end of the day, people are going to value the ring and Finals MVP more, its just the way of the league. People are gona remember Bryant putting up 40-8-8 in game one of the finals more than LeBrons PER through the first few rounds. James will get there, everyone knows the dudes gona win a ring eventually.

Iodine
04-29-2010, 04:53 PM
I agree with this too. If he's going to say this at all, should be after the series. Hopefully he's pulling a rope-a-dope and he laces Kobe up and down the court while calling his mother a whore in game 6. ...What?

And then battle raps him at half time

Hawkeye15
04-29-2010, 04:55 PM
Better two years really. Even though the Cavs lost in the playoffs LeBron still posted an outrageous PER of 37.4 through 14 games. Bryant posted a PER of 26.8 for last years playoffs, which isn't even close to what James did. But at the end of the day, people are going to value the ring and Finals MVP more, its just the way of the league. People are gona remember Bryant putting up 40-8-8 in game one of the finals more than LeBrons PER through the first few rounds. James will get there, everyone knows the dudes gona win a ring eventually.

I was going to say better 2 years, but Kobe won the ring last year. So I would have been dumped on haha.

Bruno
04-29-2010, 04:59 PM
I was going to say better 2 years, but Kobe won the ring last year. So I would have been dumped on haha.

haha, i mean it's a good discussion. Whats more valued, and why? Putting up almost never before scene statistics or winning the ring and a finals MVP?

tredigs
04-29-2010, 05:00 PM
And then battle raps him at half time

Didn't even think that had to be said. Some things in life are a given. KD battle rapping Kobe at haltime of game 6 with Shaq running the hook of "kobe how my *** taste" is one of 'em.

THE MTL
04-29-2010, 05:01 PM
Durant has so much respect for the more experienced players that I highly doubt he'll rank himself Top 10 in the league (when he CLEARLY is).

Most of what he said is true about Kobe except the whole thing about best player in basketball. That goes to Lebron James :D.

Also, Kobe will get u ALOT of points, but the guy almost never gets you 10 assists! Maybe Lebron or Wade who average 7-8 apg.

But love the respect still, but in all seriousness enough of this KUMBAYA nonsense! THIS IS THE PLAYOFFS!

G-Funk
04-29-2010, 05:18 PM
He is right on He will be the best player in the league in 5 or 6 years.

DCB/LAL
04-29-2010, 05:55 PM

UHH....He's already played against that guy in Cleveland stop making excuses of what he's saying he said dont try fixing it, thats obviously how he feels about Kobe funny how Kobe is always the one being called "the Best" by his fellow NBA players and everyone on here tries to discredit it. :laugh:

kArSoN RyDaH
04-29-2010, 05:57 PM
UHH....He's already played against that guy in Cleveland stop making excuses of what he's saying he said dont try fixing it, thats obviously how he feels about Kobe funny how Kobe is always the one being called "the Best" by his fellow NBA players and everyone on here tries to discredit it. :laugh:

yea or how they try to say oh well he doesnt know any better their players of course their gnna say that. or some stupid ish.

soonabooma
04-29-2010, 06:18 PM
KD is a very humble, respectful guy. He's just giving Kobe Bryant the respect he deserves. He's pretty much been the Michael Jordan of his generation and the face of the league for many years...even though alot of younger players like Lebron, Wade, Carmelo, Dwight, etc....are now in the picture. KD respects everybody, that's the cool thing about him. If you ask him about anybody, chances are he's gonna tell the truth and give that particular guy all the props he deserves.

But I wouldn't want to be on his bad side, you don't want KD mad at you or he'll make you look silly. In a couple of years, guys will be afraid to say anything but good things about Durant, becuz they'll know that upsetting him will be a BIG mistake....;)

Baller1
04-29-2010, 06:24 PM
Didn't even think that had to be said. Some things in life are a given. KD battle rapping Kobe at haltime of game 6 with Shaq running the hook of "kobe how my *** taste" is one of 'em.

Chorus: Shaq Fu
Check it
You know how I be
Last week Kobe couldn’t do without me
You know how I be

Kobe you cant do without me
Everybody
Kobe tell me how my *** taste
Yeah you cant do without me
Everybody

Verse 1: Velvet Hoop
Oooh Weee
It's velvet Hoop
Wrist band full of loot
Right next to ma shoe
t-ing. Hand.
What's the Temperature Sam 80 Degrees
Or mega De-freeze
Bring the Pumps too the knees
Don't talk about boring Dunks
Velvet
I'm as young as a child
Now get the hell out ma Garage
Extra Fits in my car
Scoop up, Ice Chief
Like a info rar
Lets bum
To the hoop ya'll
Come on, Come on
To the Hoop ya'll
Uh-Come on

Platinum banger.

magichatnumber9
04-29-2010, 06:49 PM
I don't like this friendly crap in the NBA. This game is so ****ing soft now.

kvrnm
04-29-2010, 06:59 PM
i hate how these star players are all on each others dicks,,,, lets see some competitive ****

kvrnm
04-29-2010, 07:01 PM
I don't like this friendly crap in the NBA. This game is so ****ing soft now.

agreed:clap: and as much as everyone hates the celtics at least they look out for there own and dont really give a **** if they piss lebron or kobe are some other star off... like pierce sed **** it im the best player haha thats awesome to me that wut i like

tredigs
04-29-2010, 07:15 PM
Chorus: Shaq Fu
Check it
You know how I be
You know how I be

Everybody
Everybody

Verse 1: Velvet Hoop
Oooh Weee
It's velvet Hoop
Wrist band full of loot
Right next to ma shoe
t-ing. Hand.
What's the Temperature Sam 80 Degrees
Or mega De-freeze
Bring the Pumps too the knees
Don't talk about boring Dunks
Velvet
I'm as young as a child
Now get the hell out ma Garage
Extra Fits in my car
Scoop up, Ice Chief
Like a info rar
Lets bum
To the hoop ya'll
Come on, Come on
To the Hoop ya'll
Uh-Come on

Platinum banger.

Remixxxxxx

agreed:clap: and as much as everyone hates the celtics at least they look out for there own and dont really give a **** if they piss lebron or kobe are some other star off... like pierce sed **** it im the best player haha thats awesome to me that wut i like

Well, there's a difference between competitive and delusional. PP falls in the latter cat.

Tony_Starks
04-29-2010, 07:18 PM
Real recognize real, KD is just giving the man his props. This dude is one of the best in the game but its pretty cool that he's humble enough to acknowledge Kobe that way. I don't see that as kissing up at all, I see it as a matter of respect.

And for those that STILL say Lebron is the best in the game so you guys know better than a guy who ACTUALLY played against and with(team usa workout) Lebron and Kobe right? Ok sure.

DCB/LAL
04-29-2010, 07:22 PM
Real recognize real, KD is just giving the man his props. This dude is one of the best in the game but its pretty cool that he's humble enough to acknowledge Kobe that way. I don't see that as kissing up at all, I see it as a matter of respect.

And for those that STILL say Lebron is the best in the game so you guys know better than a guy who ACTUALLY played against and with(team usa workout) Lebron and Kobe right? Ok sure.

Oh yeah dude their the PSD EXPERTS their word and knowledge of the game of Basketball is wiser than that of ALL an ANY NBA Players, NBA Coaches and NBA GMs even wiser than all of them COMBINDED! :speechless:

How dare you question them(PSD Experts)! :mad:

kvrnm
04-29-2010, 07:24 PM
Remixxxxxx

Well, there's a difference between competitive and delusional. PP falls in the latter cat.

haha maybe tru but its better than all this dick sucking that gos on

showtym24
04-29-2010, 07:26 PM
Got nothin but love for KD. With that said his season end tomorrow.

stawka
04-29-2010, 07:32 PM
I think he's kissing Kobe's *** because he knows Kobe could score 50 on him. He's playing it safe (which is normal because he's young). This isn't the 90's where players would be like "Yeah that guy is good, but I'll take him and make him look like a fool". Those days are gone, and Durant is damn young.

On a side note, I'd love to see Cavs/Thunder in the Finals. Durant would be like "LeBron's the GOAT, ZOMG, never seen anyone like him, he can do whatever he wants, ZOMG!!!" on his facebook updates

KBfrom8to24
04-29-2010, 08:21 PM
I think he's kissing Kobe's *** because he knows Kobe could score 50 on him. He's playing it safe (which is normal because he's young). This isn't the 90's where players would be like "Yeah that guy is good, but I'll take him and make him look like a fool". Those days are gone, and Durant is damn young.

On a side note, I'd love to see Cavs/Thunder in the Finals. Durant would be like "LeBron's the GOAT, ZOMG, never seen anyone like him, he can do whatever he wants, ZOMG!!!" on his facebook updates
What's wrong if KD says Kobe is the best player in the league? Maybe KD thinks stats can't make Lebron better than Kobe. Don't get mad but the truth is, it's an insult to your idol Shaqfu.

Tony_Starks
04-29-2010, 08:37 PM
haha maybe tru but its better than all this dick sucking that gos on

Off topic... is that my girl Hoopz in your pic? Good lawd!

kvrnm
04-29-2010, 10:49 PM
Off topic... is that my girl Hoopz in your pic? Good lawd!

haha yes!!! **** is sweet huh

MoBASS
04-29-2010, 10:51 PM

Seriously. Bird and Magic are shaking their heads..

kvrnm
04-29-2010, 10:53 PM
Seriously. Bird and Magic are shaking their heads..

lol they didnt suck each others dicks until they were after dun playin so ur dead wrong

Raph12
04-30-2010, 12:09 AM
I have Kobe as my #1 also, I'll let Lebron prove me wrong though.