PDA

View Full Version : Does Anyone Else Miss Old Days When Basketball Writers Wrote About...Basketball?

Tony_Starks
04-29-2010, 02:36 PM
What happened to sports writers? There used to be a time when you could read an article and get legit informative information about your team and what was going on.

Now we live in the days of "anonymous sources" which is the biggest joke in all sports. Under the guise of hearing it from a anonymous source they can say anything. "A very reliable source/team official said......." Half of the stuff is just made up! Trades are invented, FA signings are speculated on to infinity... on and on and on.

Not to mention how long has the LeBron going to New York fantasy been milked? 2 Damn years! Are you serious? There's nothing better to write in NY than fantasy lineups that'll never happen? I even read an article about Kobe going to New York this summer!

My bad, had to get my rant on!

macc
04-29-2010, 02:42 PM
Then don't watch

D Roses Bulls
04-29-2010, 02:46 PM
Then don't watch

oh come on macc, your better then that

smith&wesson
04-29-2010, 02:46 PM
its true, writers have turned in too teen aged gossip girls. the amount of rumours compared to actual news we read is over bearing.

smith&wesson
04-29-2010, 02:48 PM
Then don't watch

you know what i dont watch ? orlando games in the 4th quarter because howard always fouls out.

so.

i dont watch!

Tony_Starks
04-29-2010, 03:14 PM
its true, writers have turned in too teen aged gossip girls. the amount of rumours compared to actual news we read is over bearing.

Foreal man instead of hearing about how Chicago is one of the most exciting up and coming young teams in the playoffs all I kept hearing about was Vinny's run in with the GM and the alleged details. I don't care. I don't care about Shaq's dumb a ss ex wife. I don't care that Lebron once clipped his toenails in NY so now there's a chance of him going there. I don't care where Larry Brown may or may not go next year. I care about playoff basketball!

Its all gossip and speculation. There was an actual, legitimate article today that said "Wade's comments suggest he may not come to New York." Suggest? Wow, ya think?

macc
04-29-2010, 03:24 PM
Haha, Actually that was my attempt at humor....

Going back to the original poster. The majority of media is speculation, anything that makes a good story is going to be written about. Just how it is. With that being said, that's what most people want to read. Speculating is not always a bad thing. Its something to talk about. Think about it, as soon as its hinted that a team is going to trade one of their top guys, how much longer after you hear that that theres threads about that guy coming to your team. The majority of it is pipe dreaming but its what it is.

I am however against the speculating that puts players under a bad light, the way I see it, if you don't have any facts then don't talk about it. Or at least presume somone is guilty of something without knowing what actually happened.

But when it comes down to it, the media is catering to the fans. If fans didn't read what they wrote then they would take a different approach to it and put out different types of articles. Until then, I don't see anything changing.

macc
04-29-2010, 03:28 PM
Foreal man instead of hearing about how Chicago is one of the most exciting up and coming young teams in the playoffs all I kept hearing about was Vinny's run in with the GM and the alleged details. I don't care. I don't care about Shaq's dumb a ss ex wife. I don't care that Lebron once clipped his toenails in NY so now there's a chance of him going there. I don't care where Larry Brown may or may not go next year. I care about playoff basketball!

Its all gossip and speculation. There was an actual, legitimate article today that said "Wade's comments suggest he may not come to New York." Suggest? Wow, ya think?

Its true. Sports rights to come off as gossip girls. As a fan you just have to weed out the bs from the truth. Sports writers are under alot of stress to put out interesting articles on a daily basis. So therefore they're going to have to exaggerate alot of things. Just take what they say with a grain of salt.

But look around at the threads that are posted here on a daily basis. Fans love speculation. Look at all the threads that have speculation in them.

How will Cleveland fans react if Lebron leaves....

Should Shaq retire if he wins another ring....

How many years does Lebron have left....

Will Dwayne Wade stay or go.....

ect ect... People love talking about what people "might" do.

Bruno
04-29-2010, 04:08 PM
All they care about is breaking the story first. IF its inaccurate, they'll just deal with it later....Ric Bucher.

Tony_Starks
04-29-2010, 04:16 PM
Awwww man don't even get me started on Bucher or Stein! I think both of them had Kobe 100% going to either Chicago or Dallas.

I honestly believe that at this point these guys literally make up stuff and just slap the "anonymous source" label on it. That way if and when its not accurate then its not on them.

heathonater
04-29-2010, 04:23 PM
we can thank the internet for all these unfounded rumors. now a days, one person can create a blog and state some totally unfounded rumor without any proof. the internet has allowed these unfounded rumors to spread like wildfire.

Raoul Duke
04-29-2010, 08:17 PM
There is way too much speculation, way too much reporting on things that have nothing to do with the game, and way too much celebrating of meaningless "milestones". I'm so sick of articles dissecting the salary cap and discussing which players <<insert name of team with cap space>> can afford.