PDA

View Full Version : Salary Cap

Lindystud36
04-29-2010, 12:22 PM
IF the Cap is set at 56 million or so this summer.
Can a team like the Bulls/ Heat or anyone sign free agents, then take a guy currently on the roster and trade him for another free agent that would do a sign and trade from his current team.

Say Miami Signs Wade, and another superstar and a all-star and is just at the cap, can they then trade a Beasley type of player to Memphis for a sign and trade with Rudy Gay?

Don't mind the players, as i am using them to illustrate the idea here, but is this possible?

cheerio
04-29-2010, 12:25 PM
a salary cap will cause some trading

Ruggy
04-29-2010, 12:58 PM
IF the Cap is set at 56 million or so this summer.
Can a team like the Bulls/ Heat or anyone sign free agents, then take a guy currently on the roster and trade him for another free agent that would do a sign and trade from his current team.

Say Miami Signs Wade, and another superstar and a all-star and is just at the cap, can they then trade a Beasley type of player to Memphis for a sign and trade with Rudy Gay?

Don't mind the players, as i am using them to illustrate the idea here, but is this possible?

They very well could. But with the NBA trading restrictions on salaries you have to get something in the same ballpark moneywise (not sure of the exact figure).

Example. Miami resigns Wade to a max deal and then goes after Bosh. Bosh would sign his max deal w/Toronto then be traded to Miami. Toronto would have to receive something close in matching salaries (so if he signs a 5yr 100m deal they would have to get back close to 20m)

camador22
04-29-2010, 01:48 PM
They very well could. But with the NBA trading restrictions on salaries you have to get something in the same ballpark moneywise (not sure of the exact figure).

Example. Miami resigns Wade to a max deal and then goes after Bosh. Bosh would sign his max deal w/Toronto then be traded to Miami. Toronto would have to receive something close in matching salaries (so if he signs a 5yr 100m deal they would have to get back close to 20m)

I hate to say this but you're wrong in this situation. Since Miami is under the cap they can trade Beasley for Bosh without salaries matching. Salaries only have to match when two teams are over the cap. Miami is in one hell of a drivers seat in this free agency becuase it can trade Beasley and Cook for free to open up another max free agent. This means they could sign Wade, LeBron and Bosh to max contracts although it's very unlikely LeBron will go that route.

Jetsguy
04-29-2010, 01:57 PM
I hate to say this but you're wrong in this situation. Since Miami is under the cap they can trade Beasley for Bosh without salaries matching. Salaries only have to match when two teams are over the cap. Miami is in one hell of a drivers seat in this free agency becuase it can trade Beasley and Cook for free to open up another max free agent. This means they could sign Wade, LeBron and Bosh to max contracts although it's very unlikely LeBron will go that route.

you sure about that dude? I am almost positive that is not the case but could be wrong

arkanian215
04-29-2010, 02:03 PM
you sure about that dude? I am almost positive that is not the case but could be wrong

It's possible. You can fit three maxes under the 56 mil salary cap. Say Miami signs Wade, then trades Beasley to Cleveland in return for LeBron and the rest of the players to Toronto for Bosh (James Jones, Cook etc). Would they do it? Heck no, but hypothetically it's possible.

camador22
04-29-2010, 02:04 PM

Positive, Miami will have about a spare 10M and could get an extra 5M with Beasley and 2M with Cook bringing the total to about 17M. James Jones has a team option that could be used however Miami will have to pay 1.6M if it drops that option. If Miami adds him to the mix on a trade for now your talking about an extra 18.6M for a max or close to max free agent.

camador22
04-29-2010, 02:06 PM
It's possible. You can fit three maxes under the 56 mil salary cap. Say Miami signs Wade, then trades Beasley to Cleveland in return for LeBron and the rest of the players to Toronto for Bosh (James Jones, Cook etc). Would they do it? Heck no, but hypothetically it's possible.

You don't even have to go that route. Just trade Beasley, Cook and James for a first rounder and all that cap is clear. Miami will have a ton of bid for picks from teams below the cap. For those thinking Beasley doesn't have any trade value just remember last season the number 2 pick was offered for him.

MiamiLoyal926
04-29-2010, 03:16 PM

It is actually true.

Currently, we have 12.6 million in contracts for next season (Beasley, J.Jones, Cook and Chalmers). Add to that roughly 16 mil for wade and that puts us at 28.6 million. Suppose the cap is set at 56 million dollars, which gives the heat 27.4 mil to work with this summer.

Beasley and cook combined make 7.2 million. If we package beasley and cook either for a pick or in a sign and trade for a max, we can have two additional max free agents aside from wade.

Lets say they get packaged for a pick in the draft, that now puts us at a current salary of 21.4 including wade. In other words we have 34.6 million in free cap space. A sign and trade would only make that easier.

In addition, J.Jones’ 4.6 million dollar contract can be bought out and only 1.6 million will be held against our cap. That now puts us at a salary of 18.4 million and 37.6 million in free cap space.

If each max free agent is 16 million, that means we need 32 million in cap and still have 5.6 million left to fill out the roster with veteran minimums and rookie contracts.

MiamiLoyal926
04-29-2010, 03:22 PM
We can even choose to have two max free agents and two above average stars as well. The sky is the limit when you are rebuilding from scratch with all the possibilities available.

Lindystud36
04-29-2010, 05:46 PM
Thanks for the feedback
AMARE WADE FELTON AND GAY IN MIAMI?
BOSH to CHiago
Lebron to nets
lol cant wait for july 1

Rodney Stuckey
04-29-2010, 06:00 PM
epic fail

Geargo Wallace
04-29-2010, 06:06 PM
can I say Beasley is not getting traded for Bosh?

thescore53
04-29-2010, 06:21 PM
Thanks for the feedback
BOSH to CHiago
Lebron to nets
lol cant wait for july 1

no.

dtmagnet
04-29-2010, 06:33 PM
Unfortunately you need more than 3 players on a roster due to league mandates.

camador22
04-29-2010, 06:52 PM

The league allows you to sign an unlimited amount of minimum players even though you are over the cap. Meaning 3 max players and 10 minimum players :)

MiamiLoyal926
04-30-2010, 10:42 AM
The league allows you to sign an unlimited amount of minimum players even though you are over the cap. Meaning 3 max players and 10 minimum players :)

thank you... beat me to it.

MiamiLoyal926
04-30-2010, 10:46 AM
Thanks for the feedback
BOSH to CHiago
Lebron to nets
lol cant wait for july 1

lol.... I went home last night and hopped on my 2k10 and I promise you that the squad you mentioned is the squad I put together for the heat to get a feel for them next year.

I guess great minds think alike ;)

MiamiLoyal926
04-30-2010, 10:54 AM
can I say Beasley is not getting traded for Bosh?

Actually... Bosh is in the driverís seat in this decision. If he wants Miami, then the Raptors take whatever they can get from Miami. At this point, I think Beasley is the only guy unless they want a sign and trade with one of our expiring contracts. If Bosh wants else where, then that is another story. The decision isnít up to the Raptors as Bosh will sway where he goes.

Pierzynski4Prez
04-30-2010, 10:59 AM

This.

There are roster holds for 12 positions on your roster that count as 500k each. So right there is a few million. Then you have to figure in your draft picks which can add 2+ million.

So even if you have 3 guys at 48 million, you still have have 9 roster holds equaling 4.5 million if none of those are draft picks. So 52.5 million, or around 54.5 with draft picks.

Have fun thinking you can win with with 9 guys on your team that play for the league minimum.

Also, the max could very well be higher than 16, could be closer to 17, which will make it nearly impossible to fill out a roster. I would worry about keeping Wade as it is, let alone having 3 max guys on a roster.

Raoul Duke
04-30-2010, 11:42 AM
Wow. I don't see how having Beasley to trade makes The Heat any more likely to get Bosh. Toronto management is officially smoking crack laced with meth laced with PCP laced with that stuff Benicio Del Toro grew boobs on in Fear and Loathing if they would do that deal. I'd actually think it more likely that they'd just sign him outright.

Wouldn't NY be a little more likely to get Bosh via sign and trade? I mean, Lee is a far better player than Beasley and he kinda seems like the type of player Toronto brass would dig (and no, I'm not referring to his complexion).

MiamiLoyal926
04-30-2010, 02:29 PM
Wow. I don't see how having Beasley to trade makes The Heat any more likely to get Bosh. Toronto management is officially smoking crack laced with meth laced with PCP laced with that stuff Benicio Del Toro grew boobs on in Fear and Loathing if they would do that deal. I'd actually think it more likely that they'd just sign him outright.

Wouldn't NY be a little more likely to get Bosh via sign and trade? I mean, Lee is a far better player than Beasley and he kinda seems like the type of player Toronto brass would dig (and no, I'm not referring to his complexion).

Open your eyes and your mind.... at no point was it implied that beasley would make the heat more likely to land bosh. Thats not even up to discussion. What is true is that if Bosh decides on Miami (which is a maybe) then he can sign with us... or there can be a sign and trade where toronto doesn't lose their star for nothing in which the only player of value is beasley. Bosh decides where he wants to go and if he chooses miami then the raptors either sign and trade or let him walk. If bosh chooses New York, then the raptors can very easily get a better trade. But again, that is for bosh to decide.

MiamiLoyal926
04-30-2010, 02:52 PM
This.

There are roster holds for 12 positions on your roster that count as 500k each. So right there is a few million. Then you have to figure in your draft picks which can add 2+ million.

So even if you have 3 guys at 48 million, you still have have 9 roster holds equaling 4.5 million if none of those are draft picks. So 52.5 million, or around 54.5 with draft picks.

Have fun thinking you can win with with 9 guys on your team that play for the league minimum.

Also, the max could very well be higher than 16, could be closer to 17, which will make it nearly impossible to fill out a roster. I would worry about keeping Wade as it is, let alone having 3 max guys on a roster.

The question was... is it possible? Yes it is. Is it the best option?... probably no. Can you contend with the likes of Bosh, Wade, Lebron, Arroyo, chalmers, and Joel Anthony with vet minimums and rookies.... yes. So I do not understand why you are so naive to think that the three headed monster would not contend for championships, especially when a year later they will have the mid level exception to add to the roster. In your defense, the only thing that can be scary for a team like that is injuries.

Remember, Veteran Minimums can be signed past the cap.

Aside from that though, a team of two max contracts and two more decent contracts can also be had. It must be scary to think of that entire cap available to work with. What ever happens, everyone knows itís going to be monumental. Also, the heat are in the best position to keep wade, too many options. If he leaves, then there is plenty of cap to rebuild. Like I said, this summer will be monumental for the heat either way. It is going to result in a completely new franchise.

nrwskinny
04-30-2010, 03:04 PM
All I hear is teams like New York signing 2 max free agents--who would be dumb enough to sign two, then have only a few million to sign garbage players--because thats all these teams will have money for AND the fact that whoever they sign will probably have to play 45 plus minutes because their bench is so thin...am i making any sense?

Pierzynski4Prez
04-30-2010, 03:07 PM
Any of the FA's will not do a S & T to a team that has the cap space like Miami, NY, NJ, or CHI. Sign and trades only happen to a team that does not have cap space.

Why would Bosh want to do a S & T with Miami and deplete them of what they have already instead of just signing so they don't give up anything. Same with NY or Chicago. Only possibility would be if they did a S & T for like a S & T of David Lee to NY. Otherwise, Chicago, Miami, NJ, or NY aren't going to give up **** if they simply don't have to.

MiamiLoyal926
05-01-2010, 10:03 AM
Any of the FA's will not do a S & T to a team that has the cap space like Miami, NY, NJ, or CHI. Sign and trades only happen to a team that does not have cap space.

Why would Bosh want to do a S & T with Miami and deplete them of what they have already instead of just signing so they don't give up anything. Same with NY or Chicago. Only possibility would be if they did a S & T for like a S & T of David Lee to NY. Otherwise, Chicago, Miami, NJ, or NY aren't going to give up **** if they simply don't have to.

Sign and trade would be done so that Bosh can get his sixth year and 30 million extra. Also, It would benefit raptors to get something. If you have cap you can sign him straight up, but it would not be for the six years.

Just in case you didn't know, the home teams of these stars have an incentive to offer their players and extra year on the max contracts to entice them to stay home. That extra year is equivalent to 30 million.

MiamiLoyal926
05-01-2010, 10:07 AM
All I hear is teams like New York signing 2 max free agents--who would be dumb enough to sign two, then have only a few million to sign garbage players--because thats all these teams will have money for AND the fact that whoever they sign will probably have to play 45 plus minutes because their bench is so thin...am i making any sense?

There are ways around it and plenty of competent veterans and players that can fill a role. As a coach, it is your rotation that really matters. You start the game with all three stars, then rotate two at a time through out the game until the end of the game when all three are in again. Two stars with role players can still do damage. Imagine three in at a time.