PDA

View Full Version : Nene to miss game 6 w/ sprained knee (NOT torn ACL)

DenButsu
04-29-2010, 03:56 AM
It was initially reported that the Nuggets were "fearful" that Nene had torn his ACL.

Fortunately that turned out not to be the case. Here's an update:

Nene to miss Game 6 with sprained knee
By Aaron J. Lopez

Lab tests and MRI results have delivered cruel news to Nuggets center Nene over the past five years.

A torn ACL cost him all but one game of the 2005-06 season, while testicular cancer threatened to end his career in 2008.

When Nene hobbled off the court Wednesday night in Game 5 of Denver’s first-round playoff series against the Utah Jazz, there was legitimate concern that he had suffered another major knee injury.

Those concerns were alleviated when an MRI revealed no ligament or meniscus damage to Nene’s left knee, but the Nuggets will be without their starting center for Game 6 in Salt Lake City on Friday night.

“This morning when I got here, they were saying it’s not as bad as they thought,” backup center Johan Petro said as he left the Pepsi Center on Thursday. “That’s great to know that he might be on his feet quicker than we thought. That’s great news.”

Nene was injured when he landed awkwardly in the free-throw lane with 5:03 left in the second quarter of Denver’s 116-102 victory Wednesday night. His status is day-to-day should the Nuggets beat the Jazz again to force a Game 7 at home Sunday.

Petro replaced Nene as the starter in the second half of Game 5 and will likely draw the early assignment again Friday. He averaged 4.8 points and 5.5 rebounds while starting 16 games in place of Kenyon Martin during the regular season.

“I’m prepared to do whatever I’m asked to do,” Petro said. “If my name gets called, I will step up to the challenge.”

Nene averaged 13.8 points and 7.6 rebounds while playing all 82 games during the regular season. His numbers were virtually identical (13.8, 7.0) in the first four games of the Utah series, but the Nuggets now will rely more heavily on Martin, Petro and Chris Andersen as they try to extend their season.

Andersen had six rebounds and six points after halftime of Game 5, while Martin finished with 18 points and nine rebounds. Both players have been dealing with injuries for most of the season.

“As I’ve been saying all series, it’s mind over matter,” Martin said. “We’ve got to go out and play. Of course we’re going to miss Nene. Guys are going to have to step up like they did all season long. It’s going to be on myself, Bird, Johan – all of us – to try to fill that void.”

In addition to his scoring and rebounding, the 6-foot-11, 250-pound Nene is an excellent interior passer (four assists in 14 minutes Wednesday) and provided defensive size against Utah forward Carlos Boozer.

Martin, 6-9, 230, started out defensively on Jazz center Kyrylo Fesenko in Game 5. With Nene unavailable, he will probably have to guard Boozer on Friday, while the 7-foot Petro matches up against the 7-1 Fesenko.

“That’s what a team’s all about,” Nuggets point guard Chauncey Billups said. “Sometimes an opportunity is here. Petro, I look for him to take advantage of this opportunity.”

Billups took an opportunity to heckle Petro a few minutes later Thursday, rolling down his window and interrupting Petro as he spoke to several reporters outside the Pepsi Center.

“Superstar,” Billups chided playfully. “Mild-mannered superstar.”

At this point, the Nuggets don’t need Petro to be a superstar. They need him to rebound, defend and do whatever it takes to help them keep their season alive.

“I’m not trying to put any pressure on myself,” Petro said. “I know how big that game is and what I have to do.”nuggets.com (http://www.nba.com/nuggets/news/nuggets_nene_20100429.html)

--------------------------------------------Original post:

The Nuggets sure hope they’re wrong, but a source familiar with the situation said the team is extremely fearful that Nene tore his left ACL
nuggetsnews (http://twitter.com/nuggetsnews/status/13056921459)
Benjamin Hochman
Denver Post

SNYmets86
04-29-2010, 03:58 AM
OOOHHHH DAMN :facepalm:

abe_froman
04-29-2010, 04:11 AM
and the jazz move on to the second round(it was inevitable)

Bulls_fan90
04-29-2010, 04:35 AM
That sucks. The series was starting to get good. Hope he gets back to 100%.

Fireworld
04-29-2010, 04:45 AM
I like Nene, too bad he got hurt. Wish it was JR. I don't like most of the Nuggets roster so I hope they lose to Utah. I don't hate teams, I hate players.

TheKing23
04-29-2010, 08:12 AM
It's so weird, I was playing NBA 2k10 yesterday and the commentators were talking about how Nene had overcome his horrific knee injury...

I really hope he hasn't torn his ACL, that was my initial thought when he was moving like he was.

JasonJohnHorn
04-29-2010, 08:42 AM
So whats the big deal? DuJuan Blair doesnt even have any ACLs? Seriously though, that has got to hurt. Hope he's back and healthy asap. He is a great talent and has already missed to much of his career due to injury and health issues.

JordansBulls
04-29-2010, 08:59 AM
nuggetsnews (http://twitter.com/nuggetsnews/status/13056921459)
Benjamin Hochman
Denver Post

If this is the case, then might as well root for the Jazz.

DenButsu
04-29-2010, 10:17 AM
I like Nene, too bad he got hurt. Wish it was JR.

http://i492.photobucket.com/albums/rr285/croatoan5376/Emoticons/smiley_emoticons_confusednew.gif

dukejazz
04-29-2010, 11:07 AM
http://i492.photobucket.com/albums/rr285/croatoan5376/Emoticons/smiley_emoticons_confusednew.gif

I agree man how can you wish someone hurt?:facepalm:

clutchski
04-29-2010, 11:24 AM
I hope the Jazz finish 'em off next game.

sep11ie
04-29-2010, 11:48 AM
If this is the case, then might as well root for the Jazz.

Or just root for your original team...

Sadds The Gr8
04-29-2010, 01:32 PM
that would suck

still1ballin
04-29-2010, 01:39 PM
done.

Raph12
04-29-2010, 01:52 PM
He was getting beasted by Fesenko anyways... I'd say they're better off with birdman, but he's struggling with injuries as well.

DenButsu
04-29-2010, 08:13 PM
I just updated this thread with the news that it was not a torn ACL but in fact turned out to be a sprained knee.

Sorry for the false alarm, but hey, don't kill the messenger. :o

And I'm just going to go ahead and close this. Jazz/Nuggets talk can be had here (http://www.prosportsdaily.com/forums/showthread.php?t=475933).