PDA

View Full Version : Magic's Howard fined $35K for blog comments

D Roses Bulls
04-28-2010, 08:27 PM
ORLANDO, Fla. -- Even on a day off, Dwight Howard can antagonize officials enough to draw a penalty.

The Orlando Magic center was fined $35,000 by the NBA on Wednesday for criticizing officials on his blog, the second time this season he's been penalized for posting such comments.

Howard was in chronic foul trouble and constantly complaining about officiating in the Magic's series sweep over Charlotte. He fouled out in the last two games, played only 105 minutes and committed 22 fouls in four games.

"I'm not looking to say anything to get myself in trouble with the league, but I just don't see other star players getting called for fouls the way I get them," Howard posted on his blog. "No star player in the league is outta games the way I am."

NBA commissioner David Stern has grown tired of all the griping and vowed to crack down on critical comments, challenging players and coaches last week to "make my day" by continuing to complain during the rest of the playoffs.

The Magic have thus far been the prime example.

Coach Stan Van Gundy and forward Matt Barnes were fined $35,000 each last week for criticizing officials and publicly questioning their calls on Howard. Orlando's All-Star center also was fined $15,000 in November for similar comments on his blog, although those were light compared to his latest post.

"I mean, it was almost comical at times how I was getting fouls called on me," Howard wrote. "There was nothing I could do [out] there and I felt like I couldn't even move without getting that whistle blown on me."

The Magic were off Tuesday and Wednesday. They will face the winner of the Atlanta-Milwaukee series in the second round.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/playoffs/2010/news/story?id=5144707

JasonJohnHorn
04-28-2010, 08:41 PM
Well...maybe Howard should stop fouling. I think the guy is a great talent, but nobody, star or not, deserves special calls. Howard is aggressive going for blocks, and makes contact a lot of the time. He is also aggressive in the paint on offence, and against the Cavs last year (which he didnt get called for) and the Lakers in the finals (which he did get called for), he used his turn-shoulder-spear move to create space, jabbing his shoulder into the defensive player to create space, which IS a foul. He does this A LOT!

I'm not trying to hate on the guy, but his team was the only team to sweep and the games werent very close, so its not like the Magic suffered due to bad offciating.

The reason Kobe and James and Wade dont get as many fouls as Dwight, is because they dont foul as much as Dwight.

Avenged
04-28-2010, 08:44 PM
Come on Dwight, stop talking already!

Stan Van Gundy is rubbing it off on Dwight.

If you can't keep up with the Bobcat's bigs, how are you going to keep up with Shaq? ;)

JK Magic fans!

But I do think he should stop talking about it now. The series is over, they swept. Move on.

tredigs
04-28-2010, 09:00 PM
Get off the blog and practiced your FT's dwight. 37% ain't going to cut it against Cleveland. C'mon now.

nygiants242
04-28-2010, 09:02 PM
I find it pretty hard to believe that at this point in their NBA careers (not just speaking of Howard specifically, but in general), that players feel the need to vocally ***** about refs when in fact they clearly know that is not tolerated by the league. What does it do, other than land you a fine (OK, not a big dent in his wallet) and make you look like complete *****. Why don't you work on your foot a bit more? That's what happens when you are a shotblocker, you draw fouls, especially the aggressive manner in which he does it.

Stop complaining. I really wouldn't have thought this would be coming from Howard.

tredigs
04-28-2010, 09:04 PM
The fact that he's actually been committing a ton of fouls doesn't help his case.

kozelkid
04-28-2010, 09:04 PM
I'm a little confused. Isn't there something called the freedom of speech?
I mean it's HIS blog.

tredigs
04-28-2010, 09:06 PM
I'm a little confused. Isn't there something called the freedom of speech?
I mean it's HIS blog.

When you're contracted under an employer that has a clause not to bash that specific company, you will get fined for it. Well normally you'd get fired, but the NBA's not about to do that.

heathonater
04-28-2010, 09:08 PM
no surprise here. stern warned about people talking about the refs, so a fine was coming for dwight after that blog. but $35,000 to him is no big deal.

Sadds The Gr8
04-28-2010, 09:10 PM
who didn't see this coming? what an idiot for making those comments...

Miltown34
04-28-2010, 09:15 PM
I'm tired of players crying....Next thing you know the league might implement a 2 complaint a quarter...The refs aren't consistent of course, you been playin bball how long, get over it some days you get benefit some you don't...Talking isn't going 2 make it better...You might want 2 get the refs on ur side instead of criticizing you because you know they can make the calls.

Avenged
04-28-2010, 09:20 PM
Yeah i'm getting tired of players crying. I mean it's okay to vent once in a while but come on Dwight get over it. Your team won. Orlando was the only team to sweep in the first round, isn't that enough? Success of the team should come first, not your minutes.

wileyisTOFU
04-28-2010, 10:42 PM
guy just needs to chilll with the defensive help in the 1st qtr so he can say all the good fouls for the 4th

BKLYNNYRNYKNYY
04-29-2010, 11:05 AM
i saw this happening yesterday when i read it on Yahoo

magicdouglas
04-29-2010, 11:20 AM
no surprise here. stern warned about people talking about the refs, so a fine was coming for dwight after that blog. but $35,000 to him is no big deal.

you beat me to it, $35,000 is pocket change for Dwight, but he needs to shut up and just play. The refs however should let them play and call games the same for everyone!

Chronz
04-29-2010, 11:21 AM
No star player plays your position with your style, when Yao was a star he went thru the same thing

clutchski
04-29-2010, 11:23 AM
They're really doing a crackdown on these comments aren't they.

magicdouglas
04-29-2010, 01:22 PM
They're really doing a crackdown on these comments aren't they.

that will cost you $35,000 my friend!

JNA17
04-29-2010, 01:25 PM
the refs ****ing suck. why is all these other superstar players getting calls but not dwight? What makes him different!?

When do i get my fine? ;)

Raph12
04-29-2010, 01:35 PM
$35,000 means nothing to him, I'd say shutup and play, but with those 4 consecutive bs calls Shaq got on Miller/Noah and how physical the two get when they play... I'd be complaining about foul trouble also.

Raph12
04-29-2010, 01:36 PM
No star player plays your position with your style, when Yao was a star he went thru the same thing

Foul trouble in every game of the series, 5.5fpg in 26mpg... I don't think so.

greenl9791
04-29-2010, 01:52 PM
QUOTE=JasonJohnHorn;13141804]Well...maybe Howard should stop fouling. I think the guy is a great talent, but nobody, star or not, deserves special calls. Howard is aggressive going for blocks, and makes contact a lot of the time. He is also aggressive in the paint on offence, and against the Cavs last year (which he didnt get called for) and the Lakers in the finals (which he did get called for), he used his turn-shoulder-spear move to create space, jabbing his shoulder into the defensive player to create space, which IS a foul. He does this A LOT!

I'm not trying to hate on the guy, but his team was the only team to sweep and the games werent very close, so its not like the Magic suffered due to bad offciating.
The reason Kobe and James and Wade dont get as many fouls as Dwight, is because they dont foul as much as Dwight.[/QUOTE]

Oh come on. As much reaching and grabbing that those guys do, they should get called for it but they don't. Keep in mind who the DPOY is. Also keep in mind that the team "you say you're not hating on" can win when our guy gets into foul trouble. Can your team do it? NO!!! He has his moments when he commits stupid fouls but to damn near foul out of every playoff game? How many fouls do the others average? 1, 2, Has LeBaby even been called for a foul?

Salvy123
04-29-2010, 01:57 PM
Is it me or has there been an over-excessive amount of fines due to criticizing officials?!?!?

ldc62
04-29-2010, 02:08 PM
I watched TNT inside the NBA and some of Barkley's points were right: Not all the fouls were called correctly but Dwight need to definitely control himself and not swing his arms and throw people to the ground. Its hard for the ref to not call a foul even if the other team is flopping.