PDA

View Full Version : 2010 Free Agency: How will the dominoes fall?

RipVW
04-28-2010, 01:32 PM
There are alot of moving pieces impacting how things will shake out during this offseason. One of the things impacting what will happen will be what happens the rest of the way in the playoffs. But also, what will affect everything, is who will sign first and with whom...and also which team will load up the most.

Will DWade stay in Miami...presumably, he needs to see some additions before he signs but this could be problematic if all the FAs are waiting to see where others sign.

The other issue is that, lets say Lebron waits, and Miami loads up on big ticket FAs, will that then affect Lebrons decision on where to sign?

It could be a game of chicken or a waiting game.

How do you see it unfolding? Who will be the first domino to fall?

beasted86
04-28-2010, 01:39 PM
The issue of seeing where other FAs sign won't be a problem. Wade, Bosh, and LeBron all share the same agency. Their agents will all communicate and keep their players informed.

abe_froman
04-28-2010, 01:47 PM
everyone will wait on lebron,after that its a free for all.every team has an idea of who they want,maybe little draft boards with free agents names and not every team wants the same guys

mikantsass
04-28-2010, 01:48 PM
Wade- Miami
Bron- Cleveland
Amare- Phoenix

Boozer, Bosh, Johnson- 1 will join Wade in miami (either bosh or boozer) and the Knicks & Bulls will duke it out for the remaining two.

1st to re-sign will be Amare

PC
04-28-2010, 01:50 PM
Wade- Miami
Bron- Cleveland
Amare- Phoenix

Boozer, Bosh, Johnson- 1 will join Wade in miami (either bosh or boozer) and the Knicks & Bulls will duke it out for the remaining two.

The Suns reportedly aren't going to offer STAT a max contract so unless that changes, I can't see him staying with the Suns

Miltown34
04-28-2010, 01:51 PM
My Bucks will land Tyrus THomas lol.....I hope though he's a solid role player...I think JJ leaves and Bosh, Stoudamire and Boozer they either end up in CHicago, Miami, or NY

DeyAce
04-28-2010, 02:12 PM
This is how it is gonna go down...

Lebron - Cleveland
Wade - Miami
Amare - New York
Bosh - Miami
Boozer - Utah
Johnson - Chicago

abe_froman
04-28-2010, 02:15 PM
My Bucks will land Tyrus THomas lol.....I hope though he's a solid role player...I think JJ leaves and Bosh, Stoudamire and Boozer they either end up in CHicago, Miami, or NY

skiles and thomas didnt exactly have a good relationship(practically got him fired)...so i doubt it

drama1386
04-28-2010, 02:17 PM
lebron - cavs
wade - miami
amare - suns
bosh - miami

boozer & johnson will be up for grabs between NY & chicago.

Ethix11
04-28-2010, 02:19 PM
I think Wade said he was going to sit down with LeBron and Bosh this offseason to discuss FA together. Possibly all teaming up.

FinsFoLife
04-28-2010, 02:31 PM
I think Wade said he was going to sit down with LeBron and Bosh this offseason to discuss FA together. Possibly all teaming up.

They're all going to the Clippers. Kobe will become the third best payer in his own city. Embarrassing.

king4day
04-28-2010, 02:34 PM
The Suns reportedly aren't going to offer STAT a max contract so unless that changes, I can't see him staying with the Suns

Link?
That was the case at the all star break.

Now there's reports that the team and his agent are closer moneywise.

RipVW
04-28-2010, 02:35 PM
everyone will wait on lebron,after that its a free for all.every team has an idea of who they want,maybe little draft boards with free agents names and not every team wants the same guys

Why would Lebron not want to wait? Bosh and possibly one other player, could shift the balance of power away from Cleveland and to Miami.

PC
04-28-2010, 02:37 PM
Link?
That was the case at the all star break.

Now there's reports that the team and his agent are closer moneywise.

No Max Deal For Amar'e In Phoenix?

The Phoenix Suns have had a great run down the stretch this season and may have entered the playoffs playing better basketball than any other team in the Association. Some have made the argument that Amar'e Stoudemire has been the best player in the NBA since the All-Star break and there is certainly a strong case that can be made in support of that.

Whether or not the Suns have what it takes to ultimately win a championship this season remains to be seen. Whatever happens, though, the Suns likely have bigger problems looming just around the bend.

A NBA executive recently told HOOPSWORLD that Phoenix GM Steve Kerr has been told the Suns will be very fiscally conservative moving forward because the team is "bleeding money." In fact, he indicated that Kerr has been told that ownership in Phoenix likely won't be willing to pay max-money for a player this summer.

What this means is that if Stoudemire opts out of his contract this summer and can get max-money elsewhere, he's likely a goner. If that case were to come to fruition the Suns would likely try and pursue a sign and trade of some sort that was financially more beneficial and allowed them to salvage at least something in return for Stoudemire.

One of the major concerns for the Suns is the likely lockout that will take place in the summer of 2011. The executive told HOOPSWORLD that Robert Sarver would be much more likely to consider giving Stoudemire a max deal after the potential lockout when overall salaries will drop, not all money will be guaranteed, and the maximum number of years allowed in a contract will drop.

In short, if Suns' fans hope to keep Amar'e long-term they had better hope he either doesn't opt out of his contract this summer and plays out the final year of his deal in Phoenix, or that he finds out he can't command max money when he hits the open market this summer. The latter seems extremely improbable given how well Stoudemire has played coming down the stretch.

Hoopsworld (http://www.hoopsworld.com/Story.asp?story_id=16049&utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter#ixzz0mEafdPhM)

RipVW
04-28-2010, 02:38 PM
They're all going to the Clippers. Kobe will become the third best payer in his own city. Embarrassing.

3 guys making 50 millions dollars? LOL. Why not. With that kind of salary structure, youd have 3 studs and 9 DLeague players.

abe_froman
04-28-2010, 02:43 PM
Why would Lebron not want to wait? Bosh and possibly one other player, could shift the balance of power away from Cleveland and to Miami.

he's the prime guy everyone wants,like it not everyone else is swimming in his wake.no team is going to risk giving all their money to amare only to hear afterwards that lebron was willing to come...fans riot and gm's get fired over moves like that

Raph12
04-28-2010, 02:44 PM
This literally might be like the 20th thread on how the 2010 free agency will go... People will be disappointed.

dwadefan03
04-28-2010, 02:45 PM
Wade- Miami
Bron- Cleveland
Amare- Phoenix

This is how it is gonna go down...

Lebron - Cleveland
Wade - Miami
Amare - New York
Bosh - Miami
Boozer - Utah
Johnson - Chicago

lebron - cavs
wade - miami
amare - suns
bosh - miami

boozer & johnson will be up for grabs between NY & chicago.

how come no one mentions new jersey?...it seems like a pretty attractive place to me

PC
04-28-2010, 02:48 PM
how come no one mentions new jersey?...it seems like a pretty attractive place to me

They won 11 games... I could see them pulling a S&T for Gay or Lee

MikefromMars
04-28-2010, 02:49 PM
Hearing Wade talk and seeing how poorly Miami built around him compared to the other franchises... I have to think Wade is, undoubtly, gone.

Bron---Stays in CLE.
J. Johnson---Future Knick w/ Nash
D. Wade---Welcome to Chicago.
Bosh--- sign n trade and hello Dallas.
Amare---Still in Pheonix...yep...wow
Others--- Will fall in place... Miami will scoop up a couple here.

This is how I think it will end up.

CQSox305
04-28-2010, 02:57 PM
I doubt there will be much movement all the stars likely stay with their current teams. Boozer/Amare with go to NY or Chicago.

ManningToTyree
04-28-2010, 02:59 PM
Lebron- Cleveland
DWade- Chicago
Bosh- New York

These are the biggest three.

500 Level
04-28-2010, 03:01 PM
Lebron- Nets
Wade- Heat
Bosh- Knicks
Johnson- Knicks
Stoudamire- Heat
Boozer- Bulls

RipVW
04-28-2010, 03:13 PM
he's the prime guy everyone wants,like it not everyone else is swimming in his wake.no team is going to risk giving all their money to amare only to hear afterwards that lebron was willing to come...fans riot and gm's get fired over moves like that

I understand that he is the premier free agent and I understand that teams wanting him might be in a holding pattern until he signs, but its not like he doesnt have something at stake in terms of seeing where other free agents go. Lets say Miami loads up on talent in free agencey by bringing in Bosh and someone else really good. That might affect where Lebron wants to go.

Im not saying Lebron will want to wait or that he will wait, but it seems to be a widely held belief that he will be the first domino to fall, when, if you put yourself in his shoes, you can kind of see why it might be beneficial to hold out and see how things are taking shape.

Ethix11
04-28-2010, 03:24 PM
Hearing Wade talk and seeing how poorly Miami built around him compared to the other franchises... I have to think Wade is, undoubtly, gone.

Bron---Stays in CLE.
J. Johnson---Future Knick w/ Nash
D. Wade---Welcome to Chicago.
Bosh--- sign n trade and hello Dallas.
Amare---Still in Pheonix...yep...wow
Others--- Will fall in place... Miami will scoop up a couple here.

This is how I think it will end up.

The Heat built poorly around him because they were pinching pennies since 07 right after their Championship team fell apart, so that they could have the flexibility they do now in 2010. Otherwise, they would have been competing all these years like the other franchises. And you think Wade leaves now after playing the waiting game for so long? Hes going to stay and reap the rewards of being so patient. He sacrified the past couple of years to build a dynasty, not so that another player can become the benefactor and hence, torment him every year thereafter.

Tblaze
04-28-2010, 03:32 PM
Wade- Miami
Bron- Cleveland
Amare- Phoenix

Exactly what I was thinking.

And I think Johson would either re-sign with Atlanta OR would join the Knicks.

RipVW
04-28-2010, 03:47 PM
I think a scenario that is highly likely is that Miami will be the first to make a move. I think since a lot of teams will be in the running for Lebron, will move on Bosh and then sign Wade. I think Chicago will be reluctant to go after Bosh if Lebron is still on the market, even if they have a slim chance at him.

Since Wade wants to wait and see what kind of an effort Miami makes, he'll sign after Miami makes a move or two. And if Toronto sets up a sign and trade, I can see Beasley, another player, and a 1st round pick going to Toronto.

I think Bosh going to Miami would preclude Lebron going to NY because Im assuming that Lebron wants to win.

MikefromMars
04-28-2010, 03:57 PM
The Heat built poorly around him because they were pinching pennies since 07 right after their Championship team fell apart, so that they could have the flexibility they do now in 2010. Otherwise, they would have been competing all these years like the other franchises. And you think Wade leaves now after playing the waiting game for so long? Hes going to stay and reap the rewards of being so patient. He sacrified the past couple of years to build a dynasty, not so that another player can become the benefactor and hence, torment him every year thereafter.

Very logical post man! I think you make great points. I just think he seemed incredibly frustrated with Miami.

Maybe he does stay in MIA, but I think he wants to be the guy to take his hometown team back to the top(Chicago) and Wade seems to be the one Jordan mentors most... it just makes sense to me. However, your points certainly make me question my judgement.

abe_froman
04-28-2010, 03:58 PM
I understand that he is the premier free agent and I understand that teams wanting him might be in a holding pattern until he signs, but its not like he doesnt have something at stake in terms of seeing where other free agents go. Lets say Miami loads up on talent in free agencey by bringing in Bosh and someone else really good. That might affect where Lebron wants to go.

Im not saying Lebron will want to wait or that he will wait, but it seems to be a widely held belief that he will be the first domino to fall, when, if you put yourself in his shoes, you can kind of see why it might be beneficial to hold out and see how things are taking shape.
yes it would be beneficial,i'm not saying it wont be.just no one will make a move until he does,no gm wants the tag of "the guy who passed up lebron"....ok think of it this way.your first school dance with boys and guys are separated and all that,how no one makes a move til the popular boy makes the first move picking the girl he wants.

Draco
04-28-2010, 04:02 PM

That makes sense... interestingly there are fans in the Knicks forum who think Lebron hasn't yet signed an extension because NY can supposedly offer him the best opportunities to make money.

RipVW
04-28-2010, 04:11 PM
yes it would be beneficial,i'm not saying it wont be.just no one will make a move until he does,no gm wants the tag of "the guy who passed up lebron"....ok think of it this way.your first school dance with boys and guys are separated and all that,how no one makes a move til the popular boy makes the first move picking the girl he wants.

I didnt go to that kind of school.

That aside, I totally get what youre saying and acknowldged it by referring to it as teams being in a holding pattern.

Since I posted this thread, I have thought about it, and I think Bosh is most lilkely going to be the first domino to fall. I think Miami will not be focused on Lebron but will try to keep Wade by focusing on Bosh. I think everyone holding out for James, will open it up for Miami to go after Bosh relatively easily.

I also think if it was clear cut that James was going to sign with Cleveland, he could have simply done a deal by now. But he has maintained a wait and see posture. Whats the point of dragging it out and letting it go to free agency if youre going to sign a deal with Cleveland on the first day? I think since he has let it go to free agency, he'll do some due diligence and see whats out there. I think if he wants to be a big star, he might sign in NY. He might want to be to NY what Jordan was to Chicago and Bryant was to LA. But one of the things Chicago has working for it, is that they have some pieces that point to winning big sooner rather than later and also he could also be a big star in Chicago since its the 3rd biggest market in the NBA.

But I dont think its automatic Lebron signs with Cleveland,...at least not right out of the gate.

And I think because Lebron will want to do his due diligence, some teams that are after him, will miss out on other guys like Bosh or Stoudimire.

If the Bulls miss out, its not the end of the world. There are a lot of free agents and the Bulls have a lot of flexibility in terms of improving their team. But I think what I described above is a very likely scenario.

RipVW
04-28-2010, 04:16 PM
That makes sense... interestingly there are fans in the Knicks forum who think Lebron hasn't yet signed an extension because NY can supposedly offer him the best opportunities to make money.

I think Chicago is the place that offers both a place to maximize his appeal and also a chance to win soon. That doesnt mean he'll sign here. But I dont think its a foregone conclusion he'll sign with Cleveland. He could have structured a contract any time instead of letting it go to free agencey. I think the fact that he let it go to free agency means he'll do some due diligence. Otherwise, it makes little sense to not do a deal prior to becoming a free agent and then deal with all the questions about his future.

As I said before, i think Bosh will be the first domino to fall and he will go to Miami because Miami will be one of the teams focused on a max player besides Lebron. Everyone else who is interested in Lebron will be in a holding pattern that will benefit Miami.

BALLER71
04-28-2010, 04:18 PM
Miami will sign Wade and Bosh.

RipVW
04-28-2010, 04:21 PM

I agree but I think theyll sign Bosh and then Wade.

D1JM
04-28-2010, 04:35 PM
no the bulls will sign bosh

Draco
04-28-2010, 04:51 PM
I think Chicago is the place that offers both a place to maximize his appeal and also a chance to win soon. That doesnt mean he'll sign here. But I dont think its a foregone conclusion he'll sign with Cleveland. He could have structured a contract any time instead of letting it go to free agencey. I think the fact that he let it go to free agency means he'll do some due diligence. Otherwise, it makes little sense to not do a deal prior to becoming a free agent and then deal with all the questions about his future.

As I said before, i think Bosh will be the first domino to fall and he will go to Miami because Miami will be one of the teams focused on a max player besides Lebron. Everyone else who is interested in Lebron will be in a holding pattern that will benefit Miami.

Do you think Melo and the 2011 free agent market and whether Lebron wins a chip this year affects what happens in the 2010 free agent market?

Master Mind
04-28-2010, 04:51 PM
Hoopsworld (http://www.hoopsworld.com/Story.asp?story_id=16049&utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter#ixzz0mEafdPhM)

Suns sign and trade with the Heat--Beasley for Amare :shrug:

RipVW
04-28-2010, 04:59 PM
Do you think Melo and the 2011 free agent market and whether Lebron wins a chip this year affects what happens in the 2010 free agent market?

I have no idea. It certainly could. Im not really so much making predictions as much as acknowledging what makes sense. Even though Chicago could offer both winning and mazimized appeal, that doesnt mean he wont sign in NY. I think winning a title this year could make him want to stay in Cleveland (if he's not worried about maxmizing his appeal) or New York ( since he no longer has that to prove). I think winning a title might be bad for Chicago because it could remove the pressure he feels to win a title. But then too, when Jordan won his first title, its not like he stopped wanting to win. I think all the great ones want to continue winning titles after they win their first one. But there's no way of knowing what Lebron quantifies as most important. I think if Lebron wins a title with Cleveland, he might still look at Chicago the same way depending on his priorities.

Sorry for the wishy washy answer but it pretty much comes down to whats important to Lebron and winning this year may make him want to win more or it may make it less of a priority. I guess the best example I can think of where a star player played in a small market and won a title is Kareem. He won a title with Milwaukee and then moved to LA after that. But Milwaukee also wasnt Kareems home town.

I think 2011, might actually affect how the Bulls approach not going after Bosh, if anything. I think they have to consider what Rose and Noah will cost when their contracts come up. I think they have to consider who is worth signing to a max deal considering what they want to pay those guys in the future. I think that might limit their options. I think they might feel like theyd rather invest in their own players down the road unless they sign a player like Lebron.

j-bay
04-28-2010, 05:01 PM
the swami said on espn james will go to the zards maybe?

thescore53
04-28-2010, 05:23 PM
bosh- raptors
wade- nyk, bulls
boozer- utah
joe johnson- atl
amare- maybe pho or chi where he can still be considered the man but surrounded with better pieces

Valkyrie
04-28-2010, 05:25 PM
Wade-Stay
LeBron-Stay
Amare-Miami
Bosh-Bulls

Not sure about Joe and Boozer

thescore53
04-28-2010, 05:25 PM

you act like bosh owe's you something get off his jock

BALLER71
04-28-2010, 05:55 PM
you act like bosh owe's you something get off his jock

That made no sense. At all.

bigsams50
04-28-2010, 05:59 PM
My predictions

LBJ-Stay
Wade-Stay
Bosh-New York
Amare-Miami
Boozer-Bulls
Johnson-New York

Master Mind
04-28-2010, 06:34 PM
bosh- raptors
wade- nyk, bulls
boozer- utah
joe johnson- atl
amare- maybe pho or chi where he can still be considered the man but surrounded with better pieces

:eyebrow:

Master Mind
04-28-2010, 06:35 PM
LBJ-Stay
Wade-Stay
Bosh-New York
Amare-Miami
Boozer-Miami
Johnson-New York

jackdawson
04-28-2010, 07:26 PM
Pretty much everyone stays except Bosh. There is no way he wants to feel being left out anymore. Nuff with "Being a family (nba) member and still ignored (as a rap)."

Shammyguy3
04-30-2010, 01:35 PM
LBJ-Stay
Wade-Stay
Bosh-New York
Amare-Miami
Boozer-Miami
Johnson-New York

:laugh: ya right

Dodgers99
04-30-2010, 02:14 PM
LBJ- Cleveland