PDA

View Full Version : Are the Spurs going to shock the world??

MikefromMars
04-27-2010, 02:53 PM
I am not sure if this has been discussed, but I was wondering if anyone feels like the Spurs are playing the best ball they have all year.

With the Jazz injuries and OKC exposing a chink in the LA armor... are the Spurs serious contenders to win it all?

I still see LA as being the favorites from the west, but it seems like San Antonio's experience is paying dividends now and could launch them into a great run.

thoughts?

ZebraCity916
04-27-2010, 02:59 PM
I would liked to see the Spurs and Lakers in the WCF.

Rivera
04-27-2010, 03:09 PM
spurs winning the western conference wouldnt be that big of a surprise if u follow the NBA

it would be to the outside world that a #7 team won the western conference

the only teams that would surprise me if they won the west would be

blazers - injuries
jazz - only bc of the injury to okur in the playoffs
thunder - sooooo young

other then that the other 5 teams in the west have a legit shot to make it in the finals

me personally i would love to see OKC vs Orlando

BOSTON617
04-27-2010, 03:13 PM
i think a funny championship series would be celts vs spurs both ripped apart on regular season but both playing like contendors and both showing the world they still have talent

Corey
04-27-2010, 03:18 PM
I don't see how it would be a shock. They were predicted to be a top 3 seed going into the season, and they just so happen to be playing really well right now.

They still have Timmy, Manu and TP...with the addition of RJ? I don't see how anyone even calls their series an upset.
Their talent is as good as anyone else in the playoffs.

heathonater
04-27-2010, 03:41 PM
it would be no surprise now if they made it to the wcf. the big question mark this season for the spurs was whether they had aged or were just saving their energy for the playoffs. looks like they were just waiting for the playoffs.

Iodine
04-27-2010, 03:41 PM
If by world you mean idiots who don't follow the NBA seriously and think the spurs are to old then yes

sixers247
04-27-2010, 03:57 PM
^^ ding ding mother****ing ding

ko8e24bryant
04-27-2010, 04:01 PM
No
I think the spurs are going 2 close out
their series with Dallas 4 sure
But, they're gonna end up facing the phoenix suns
in the 2nd round, Now b4 everyone starts saying that the
Spurs always beat phx in the playoffs, although that is true
This is a much different Spurs team but, its also a much different
phoenix suns team as well they play very good defense now with the same
killer high speed offense & they can play half court also
(not that that's what they prefer)
last season they ranked 22nd or 23rd in defense
and this season they finished 12th, I think the suns will beat
San Antonio in the 2nd round
and watch out we might see a western conference finals
matchup of Suns vs Lakers

Iodine
04-27-2010, 04:04 PM
No

Does
Typing
This
And
Using
Letter
For
Words
Make
You
Smarter

Geargo Wallace
04-27-2010, 04:08 PM
does
typing
this
and
using
letter
for
words
make
you
smarter

lol
x

MikefromMars
04-27-2010, 04:13 PM
Well if you follow these message boards....

all season people have been saying the *Spurs age has caught up. *They need to start over and rebuild. *They should trade Manu (before trade deadline) *They will be swept by the Mavs.

I get now that it is easy for everyone to say it isnt a surpise, but based on how many people were saying they were outdated and done, I would say that them taking the West or the Finals should be shocking to all of the people (most of PSD) who counted them out about halfway through the season. AND that includes the many Spurs fans I argued with when they lost faith. You know who you are.

sixers247
04-27-2010, 04:14 PM
According to Stephen Hawking we shouldn't be answering this thread.

MikefromMars
04-27-2010, 04:15 PM
According to Stephen Hawking we shouldn't be answering this thread.

HAHA...Classic

JDizzle
04-27-2010, 04:16 PM
i believe if the thunder win that will shock the world

BaseballBoy1811
04-27-2010, 04:39 PM
Spurs are the best team in the NBA right now. Of course it won't be a surprise.

Ragun
04-27-2010, 04:46 PM
I am not sure if this has been discussed, but I was wondering if anyone feels like the Spurs are playing the best ball they have all year.

With the Jazz injuries and OKC exposing a chink in the LA armor... are the Spurs serious contenders to win it all?

I still see LA as being the favorites from the west, but it seems like San Antonio's experience is paying dividends now and could launch them into a great run.

thoughts?
they have already shocked me.

MrFastBreak
04-27-2010, 04:58 PM
It's only going to be shocking to people who tend to look at seeding and records to analyze teams.

sep11ie
04-27-2010, 05:00 PM
Does
Typing
This
And
Using
Letter
For
Words
Make
You
Smarter

It does make your posts look bigger.

abe_froman
04-27-2010, 05:01 PM
It's only going to be shocking to people who tend to look at seeding and records to analyze teams.

this.

SteveNash
04-27-2010, 05:03 PM
No, they're not.

And please people get off your Spurs bandwagon before it falls off a cliff. I know they've been a safe pick for a while, but they're way past their prime and won't win a championship.

tdunk21
04-27-2010, 05:18 PM
No, they're not.

And please people get off your Spurs bandwagon before it falls off a cliff. I know they've been a safe pick for a while, but they're way past their prime and won't win a championship.

:facepalm:

and who will win the championship...lets see ur prediction...

Hawkeye15
04-27-2010, 05:20 PM
I picked them in my work pool to get to the finals, so they aren't shocking me. They were FINALLY healthy entering the playoffs. If they get anything out of Jefferson, they will win every time.

krest213
04-27-2010, 05:22 PM
i can see OKC knocking LA out man.. i can see it.

JWO35
04-27-2010, 05:23 PM
Are the Thunder going to shock the world??

Fixed

And the answer is yes...

macc
04-27-2010, 05:28 PM
Then don't watch

SteveNash
04-27-2010, 05:31 PM
:facepalm:

and who will win the championship...lets see ur prediction...

Cavs.

Raps18-19 Champ
04-27-2010, 05:50 PM
No.

The Spurs was always better than the Mavs.

MikefromMars
04-27-2010, 05:55 PM
No, they're not.

I think this is kinda what i was expecting because this was the attitude going into the playoffs and esp a month before they started.

About the bandwagon...:facepalm:

kjoke
04-27-2010, 06:04 PM
Does
Typing
This
And
Using
Letter
For
Words
Make
You
Smarter
lol preach!

JasonJohnHorn
04-27-2010, 06:22 PM
Its like Rudy T says: Never underestimate the heart of a champion.

the Spurs have the tools to get at least to the conference finals. They have been able to hold of the Mavs so far, and though the Mavs are talented and coule wheel off three in a row, I just can see the Spurs losing the next three games.

If they play Phoenix, my money is on the Spurs. Pop will out-coach Gentry, and Parker and Hill both will exploit Nash's defensive liabilities, while Duncan will have a much easier time against Amare or whoever Phoenix throws at him than he has had with Haywood, who has been playing Duncan very well.

As for the rest of the team, I'd take Jefferson over Richardson and Ginobili over Hill, the the Spurs bench is deeper. The Trailblazers are actually better equiped to beat the Spurs because they have a center (Camby), but both the Spurs and the Suns are weakest at center and both have powers forwards (Dunan and Amare respectively) who though they have played center in the past, prefer playing power forward.

Amare may end up with a higher scoring average than Duncan if the two teams meet in the next round, but Ducan will be playing better D, and working the glass more. All the key match-ups seem to be to close to call, or go in the Spurs favour, most especially the match-up on the bench.

As for the Lakers, they are playing below their potential right now and if Artest and the Lakers Bench (outside of Odom who has been putting up respectable numbers) where shooting anywhere above the about 30% they've been shooting, the Thunder series would have been a sweep. They will have that worked out by the WCF and their monster front court will expose the Spurs weakness in the middle.

But I'm pulling for a Spurs Cavs re-match. It would only be fitting that James gets his shot to win his first title against the team that utterly embarassed his Cavs in the finals several years ago. I think that would be a great series.

RaiderLakersA's
04-27-2010, 06:30 PM
I could go for another Lakers-Spurs Western Conference championship series.

JayAllDay
04-27-2010, 06:31 PM
I actually thought their seeing didn't really justify how good this team actually is.

I think they can make a noise, but I for one won't be surprised if they go far.

sunnydayin'zona
04-27-2010, 07:18 PM
Pop will out-coach Gentry
right, because pop was a coach of the year candidate this year.

and Parker and Hill both will exploit Nash's defensive liabilities
maybe so, but nash will also exploit them on offense. you dont shut down steve nash even if you are the spurs

while Duncan will have a much easier time against Amare or whoever Phoenix throws at him than he has had with Haywood, who has been playing Duncan very well.
that'd be our starting center who will be coming back in the second round. he and amare will play duncan as good, or better than haywood. rolo as a starter has been better than haywood as a starter this year. his effect on the suns defense and rebounding is outstanding

As for the rest of the team, I'd take Jefferson over Richardson
based on what? richardson has been on fire so far in the playoffs

and Ginobili over Hill,
they do not play the same position or have the same role at all. but if we're putting them next to each other, i'll give that to you, sort of. dont expect manu to put up alot of points with grant hill guarding him.

the Spurs bench is deeper.
not a chance, the suns bench is their strongest aspect, and they have probably the deepest most influential bench in the league. the suns bench ALWAYS sustains the score, or outscores the opposing bench. actually the suns bench has collectively had some of their best games against the spurs this year

The Trailblazers are actually better equiped to beat the Spurs because they have a center (Camby),
suns dont have a quality true center for the first round because he is injured, but he'll be back for the second round

but both the Spurs and the Suns are weakest at center and both have powers forwards (Dunan and Amare respectively) who though they have played center in the past, prefer playing power forward.
no the suns weakest point is not center. actually our starting center is probably our 3rd most important player. he dramatically increases the efficiency of the suns' defense and rebounding, and with him as a starter, the suns were something like 26-4. before he was a starter, the suns were 12-18 after their great start.

Amare may end up with a higher scoring average than Duncan if the two teams meet in the next round, but Ducan will be playing better D, and working the glass more.
obviously duncan will not be playing better D if he cant hold amare, his matchup, under 35ppg in the series. if amare averages a ton scoring, that would mean duncan's defense is weak against amare

All the key match-ups seem to be to close to call, or go in the Spurs favour, most especially the match-up on the bench.

the bench matchup is in favor of the suns. aside from manu our bench is superior. our second best defender is on the bench, and two of the top 10 3 point shooters in the league who often make game changing 3's. our bench creates defensive mismatches that allow for easy scoring, and 4/5 players are great defensively. all with young legs, all play their hearts out all the time.
[/QUOTE]

i feel that if you see the spurs as the superior team in this matchup, you're being a homer.
yes, my post is a bit homer too, but from seeing the matchup this season, it seems like the suns need to have an off day to lose to the spurs currently.

sunnydayin'zona
04-27-2010, 07:19 PM
Pop will out-coach Gentry

and Parker and Hill both will exploit Nash's defensive liabilities
maybe so, but nash will also exploit them on offense. you dont shut down steve nash even if you are the spurs

while Duncan will have a much easier time against Amare or whoever Phoenix throws at him than he has had with Haywood, who has been playing Duncan very well.
that'd be our starting center who will be coming back in the second round. he and amare will play duncan as good, or better than haywood. rolo as a starter has been better than haywood as a starter this year. his effect on the suns defense and rebounding is outstanding

As for the rest of the team, I'd take Jefferson over Richardson

and Ginobili over Hill,
they do not play the same position or have the same role at all. but if we're putting them next to each other, i'll give that to you, sort of. dont expect manu to put up alot of points with grant hill guarding him.

the Spurs bench is deeper.
not a chance, the suns bench is their strongest aspect, and they have probably the deepest most influential bench in the league. the suns bench ALWAYS sustains the score, or outscores the opposing bench. actually the suns bench has collectively had some of their best games against the spurs this year

The Trailblazers are actually better equiped to beat the Spurs because they have a center (Camby),
suns dont have a quality true center for the first round because he is injured, but he'll be back for the second round

but both the Spurs and the Suns are weakest at center and both have powers forwards (Dunan and Amare respectively) who though they have played center in the past, prefer playing power forward.
no the suns weakest point is not center. actually our starting center is probably our 3rd most important player. he dramatically increases the efficiency of the suns' defense and rebounding, and with him as a starter, the suns were something like 26-4. before he was a starter, the suns were 12-18 after their great start.

Amare may end up with a higher scoring average than Duncan if the two teams meet in the next round, but Ducan will be playing better D, and working the glass more.
obviously duncan will not be playing better D if he cant hold amare, his matchup, under 35ppg in the series. if amare averages a ton scoring, that would mean duncan's defense is weak against amare

All the key match-ups seem to be to close to call, or go in the Spurs favour, most especially the match-up on the bench.

the bench matchup is in favor of the suns. aside from manu our bench is superior. our second best defender is on the bench, and two of the top 10 3 point shooters in the league who often make game changing 3's. our bench creates defensive mismatches that allow for easy scoring, and 4/5 players are great defensively. all with young legs, all play their hearts out all the time.

i feel that if you see the spurs as the superior team in this matchup, you're being a homer.
yes, my post is a bit homer too, but from seeing the matchup this season, it seems like the suns need to have an off day to lose to the spurs currently.

tdunk21
04-27-2010, 07:21 PM

people try to be sarcastic but fail...

tdunk21
04-27-2010, 07:27 PM

u r a homo....oops....homer

relaxandstrive
04-27-2010, 07:29 PM
Bet the ratings wouldn't be huge, but I could see a Celtics vs Spurs championship.

If that did happen, every commentator would need to quit.

sunnydayin'zona
04-27-2010, 07:29 PM
people try to be sarcastic but fail...

look, i'm not saying gentry is a better coach than one of the alltime greats, but its not like gentry is some scrub. he's been running this suns team very well this year.

and i think you missed my sarcasm...gentry was a coach of the year candidate this year, pop was not. not saying gentry is better, but he is no scrub.

sunnydayin'zona
04-27-2010, 07:31 PM
u r a homo....oops....homer

no, all the suns spurs games this year, the bench +/- was positive. they increase a lead against opposing benches, or close a gap.

tdunk21
04-27-2010, 07:38 PM
no, all the suns spurs games this year, the bench +/- was positive. they increase a lead against opposing benches, or close a gap.

oh yeah...i never hear from anyone sayin that the suns have the best bench in the league...in ur previous post i think thats what u meant...if i am not wrong spurs have the best scoring bench players in the league....how could u favor suns bench...

word of advice...dont be over confident in the playoffs...mav fans were so over confident that they said mavs will beat the spurs in 4,5 or 6.....but now they r the ones getting eliminated but its still far from over....and mind u mavs were considered as one of the favorites from the WC....

Shortys4711
04-27-2010, 07:38 PM
No

Finally someone other then suns fans have relised that the suns are starting to play defence and giving them credit.

sunnydayin'zona
04-27-2010, 08:04 PM
oh yeah...i never hear from anyone sayin that the suns have the best bench in the league...

sarcasm fail homo...errr...homer.

in ur previous post i think thats what u meant...if i am not wrong spurs have the best scoring bench players in the league....how could u favor suns bench...

for example yesterday's suns game, the suns bench outscored the blazers bench 55-23.

the last time the suns and spurs played, which was about two weeks ago, the suns bench was +21 as a group.
the spurs bench was -18 as a group.

word of advice...dont be over confident in the playoffs...mav fans were so over confident that they said mavs will beat the spurs in 4,5 or 6.....but now they r the ones getting eliminated but its still far from over....and mind u mavs were considered as one of the favorites from the WC....

i'm not being over confident in the playoffs, as a suns fan there is not team i fear worse in the playoffs than the spurs due to recent memory. but i disagree that the matchup favors the spurs.

tdunk21
04-27-2010, 08:16 PM
sarcasm fail homo...errr...homer.

for example yesterday's suns game, the suns bench outscored the blazers bench 55-23.

the last time the suns and spurs played, which was about two weeks ago, the suns bench was +21 as a group.
the spurs bench was -18 as a group.

i'm not being over confident in the playoffs, as a suns fan there is not team i fear worse in the playoffs than the spurs due to recent memory. but i disagree that the matchup favors the spurs.

i did not even care to finish readin after the first quote....try to think something of ur own....am done arguin :facepalm:

m26555
04-27-2010, 08:16 PM
I honestly believe that the Spurs will now win the West. I originally had Dallas beating them in seven, but they have just been playing incredible basketball.

sunnydayin'zona
04-27-2010, 08:17 PM
i did not even care to finish readin after the first quote....try to think something of ur own....am done arguin :facepalm:

really? remember your first comment on my post?

m26555
04-27-2010, 08:18 PM
Bet the ratings wouldn't be huge, but I could see a Celtics vs Spurs championship.

If that did happen, every commentator would need to quit.
I'd love to see that. That would be an OUTSTANDING series.

Garnett vs. Duncan
Pierce vs. Ginobili
Rondo vs. Parker

What more could you ask for?

IversonIsKrazy
04-27-2010, 08:19 PM
If Spurs can avoid Lakers, they can win it all, and it wouldn't be a shock at all.
As for the Spurs VS Suns debate... season doesn't mean anything, haven't u suns fan realized that yet, mavs beat us 3-1 in season series, while our only win was when we had no Duncan, Manu... and Spurs are up 3-1 thus far, Suns < Spurs, not even the God's want Suns to beat the Spurs. If they went up, im pretty sure Robert HOrry would be in the stands, attempting to do something to get Nash... lol... remember that every1! Spurs will ALWAYS find a way to beat out the SUns and make 'em look like PREtenders.

sunnydayin'zona
04-27-2010, 08:21 PM
If Spurs can avoid Lakers, they can win it all, and it wouldn't be a shock at all.
As for the Spurs VS Suns debate... season doesn't mean anything, haven't u suns fan realized that yet, mavs beat us 3-1 in season series, while our only win was when we had no Duncan, Manu... and Spurs are up 3-1 thus far, Suns < Spurs, not even the God's want Suns to beat the Spurs. If they went up, im pretty sure Robert HOrry would be in the stands, attempting to do something to get Nash... lol... remember that every1! Spurs will ALWAYS find a way to beat out the SUns and make 'em look like PREtenders.

the sad truth.
:(

Raph12
04-27-2010, 08:47 PM
Doubt they beat the Magic if they get that far.

JasonJohnHorn
04-27-2010, 09:09 PM
right, because pop was a coach of the year candidate this year. .

You are sersiously going to say Gentry is a better coach because for one season he was a "candidate" (not the winner, but a candidate) for ONE season, and put that against Pop's resume? Pop's 4 championships? And more than 10 50-wins seasons in a row?

Based on the fact that Jefferson has been on teams that have been in deeper playoff runs, and in turn has more experience in pressure situations. When it comes to stats, the two are pretty even to be honest and I'd call the match-up a draw, but if I had to pick one guy over the other, I'd go with Jefferson. He's been to the NBA finals and has stats that match-up well with Richardson. I like Richardson to, he's a great scorer, and fun to watch play. Its not like Jefferson is head and shoulders above Richardson, but I'd give that match-up to Jefferson. As for Richardson lighting it up in the playoffs: 3-12 in game one? 6-16 in game 4? and 5-14 in game 5? I dont think that is "on fire"? He's had to great games, and 3 sub-par games. And where are the Suns hurt when Richardson shoot poorly, the Spurs can handle a sub-par shooting night from Jefferson.

Not the same position? If Nash is starting at point guard, and Amare at PF and Richardson at SF. Then what position is Hill starting at? Center? I'm pretty sure, in the Suns line-up, they've been playing Hill as a shooting guard, though you can say the Suns are playing two SF in the starting line up, either way, Hill and Ginobili will find themselves face-to-face if the two teams do play each other. And I'll take Ginobili. I think most people will agree that at this point in their respective careers Ginobili is the better player, even if Hill's 99/00 season is head and shoulders over any season Ginobili will ever put out.

[not a chance, the suns bench is their strongest aspect, and they have probably the deepest most influential bench in the league. the suns bench ALWAYS sustains the score, or outscores the opposing bench. actually the suns bench has collectively had some of their best games against the spurs this year

Suns bench? I will agree that with the departure of Finley and Ratliff, the Spurs bench is not as deep as what it was, and though Mason isnt playing the minutes he was, Parker and Blair have been coming off the bench for the Spurs (McDysse, Duncan, Jefferson, Ginobili and Hill have been starting this post season), and I'm confident in saying that Blair and Parker are better than anybody the Suns have coming off the bench. Barbosa has his worst FG% in years, and though Amundson is a soldi rebounder, his game is limited.

Lopez has a high ceiling, I will admit, even if the guy ends up only being half as good as his brother he will be a quality starter in this league, but Frye and Brooks have been getting most the minutes at center and niether has posted more than 5 rebounds per average, so getting only 10 boards out of your two centers? Blair gets more than that in 10 minutes a game! He's coming off the bench! As for a match-up, right now, today, I'd take McDysse over Lopez. He has experience and knows how to hit the jumper, work the board and is a great defender. Lopez would get out-smarted by McDysse and out-rebounded. Blair has a higher rebounding average in fewer minutes.

Amare will score, there is no doubt about that. The question is how effeciently. Amare may score 30 points a game on the series, but if duncan holds him to 40% shooting, that's good defence. I dont doubt that Amare will outscore Duncan, because Duncan's game isnt about "scoring", its about spreading the ball and making the extra pass and taking the shot when its open. If Amare "averages a ton socring" it does NOT mean that Duncan's D was weak, it means that he took a lot of shots. Now if he socres at a high percentage, then that may suggest Duncan's D would be weak, but defence isnt all about scoring averages, it is as much about making your oposition take bad shots, or just preventing your opponent from getting position.

You can call me a homer is you like. But that would just illustrate how little of a clue you have. I am from Windsor Ontario Canada, which is further from SanAntonio than Phoenix is, and I actually like to see Nash do well since he is Canadian, but as an unbiased fan of the game, I see the match-up going the Spurs way.

If you think Richardson is "on fire" right now. Fine. If you think Lopez is a better center than anybody on the Spurs when both the starting and back up center on the Spurs have higher rebounding averages, ok. If you think Hill will slow down Ginobili, ok. If you think Amare will outplay Duncan, so be it. And if you think Nash has the legs with his back up PG to out play the Hill/Parker rotation, ok. But I'm a take the Spurs on this hands down.

Cheers

Jdawg
04-27-2010, 09:21 PM
^
Nice

JasonJohnHorn
04-27-2010, 09:30 PM
^
Nice

Thanks JDawg.
Love the sig AND the quote... lol

Jdawg
04-27-2010, 09:47 PM
Thanks JDawg.
Love the sig AND the quote... lol

Thanks bro!

I got to be honest though. I am really surprised how quickly everyone is jumping on the Spurs bandwagon. They are my team and I love em and I have been saying all year that they are Championship Contenders.

However, everyone else jumping on board just because of a 3-1 lead over the Mavs is a bit premature. The Mavs just haven't impressed me AT ALL so I don't think it's saying too much that we beat them.

Yall see my meaning?

sunnydayin'zona
04-28-2010, 02:14 AM
You are sersiously going to say Gentry is a better coach because for one season he was a "candidate" (not the winner, but a candidate) for ONE season, and put that against Pop's resume? Pop's 4 championships? And more than 10 50-wins seasons in a row?

read my post. in reply a few hours ago. i never said gentry was better, all i said was he was no pushover.

Based on the fact that Jefferson has been on teams that have been in deeper playoff runs, and in turn has more experience in pressure situations. When it comes to stats, the two are pretty even to be honest and I'd call the match-up a draw, but if I had to pick one guy over the other, I'd go with Jefferson. He's been to the NBA finals and has stats that match-up well with Richardson. I like Richardson to, he's a great scorer, and fun to watch play. Its not like Jefferson is head and shoulders above Richardson, but I'd give that match-up to Jefferson. As for Richardson lighting it up in the playoffs: 3-12 in game one? 6-16 in game 4? and 5-14 in game 5? I dont think that is "on fire"? He's had to great games, and 3 sub-par games. And where are the Suns hurt when Richardson shoot poorly, the Spurs can handle a sub-par shooting night from Jefferson.

i would say the two games he did well on, he absolutely carried the team. 42 against the second best defense in the league? in the playoffs? yeah. thats on fire

Not the same position? If Nash is starting at point guard, and Amare at PF and Richardson at SF. Then what position is Hill starting at? Center? I'm pretty sure, in the Suns line-up, they've been playing Hill as a shooting guard, though you can say the Suns are playing two SF in the starting line up, either way, Hill and Ginobili will find themselves face-to-face if the two teams do play each other. And I'll take Ginobili. I think most people will agree that at this point in their respective careers Ginobili is the better player, even if Hill's 99/00 season is head and shoulders over any season Ginobili will ever put out.

hill plays sf for the suns as a starter. manu plays sg on the bench, technically. hill is the fourth scoring option. manu is the second. hill is the number one perimeter defender. manu is not, at all. they have very different roles, and you wrote it as if they have the same role on their team.
i'll give you that duncan and amare play the same role, i'll give you the jefferson and richardson play the same role, but not hill and manu. sorry.

Suns bench? I will agree that with the departure of Finley and Ratliff, the Spurs bench is not as deep as what it was, and though Mason isnt playing the minutes he was, Parker and Blair have been coming off the bench for the Spurs (McDysse, Duncan, Jefferson, Ginobili and Hill have been starting this post season), and I'm confident in saying that Blair and Parker are better than anybody the Suns have coming off the bench. Barbosa has his worst FG% in years, and though Amundson is a soldi rebounder, his game is limited.

as i said a few posts ago, the last time they played each other, the spurs bench was -18 against the suns bench +21.
but sorry, i guess i messed up your lineups. i though hill and manu were coming off the bench, and parker was starting. but in that case, you may have the superior bench, but we have the superior starters.

Lopez has a high ceiling, I will admit, even if the guy ends up only being half as good as his brother he will be a quality starter in this league, but Frye and Brooks have been getting most the minutes at center and niether has posted more than 5 rebounds per average, so getting only 10 boards out of your two centers? Blair gets more than that in 10 minutes a game! He's coming off the bench! As for a match-up, right now, today, I'd take McDysse over Lopez. He has experience and knows how to hit the jumper, work the board and is a great defender. Lopez would get out-smarted by McDysse and out-rebounded. Blair has a higher rebounding average in fewer minutes.

we dont have anybody named brooks, first off. second, frye is the bench center post allstar. even now with lopez injured he is the bench center.
and lopez is proving far beyond a high ceiling, like i said he is the third most important player on the suns. he elevates the defense tremendously, makes amare a much better player on both ends, and its proven by the suns record with lopez as the starter. he may not score as much as brook lopez, but he is far superior defensively.
mcdyess is also old as hell. in a seven game series against a very physical defensive young center, he will get tired.

Amare will score, there is no doubt about that. The question is how effeciently. Amare may score 30 points a game on the series, but if duncan holds him to 40% shooting, that's good defence. I dont doubt that Amare will outscore Duncan, because Duncan's game isnt about "scoring", its about spreading the ball and making the extra pass and taking the shot when its open. If Amare "averages a ton socring" it does NOT mean that Duncan's D was weak, it means that he took a lot of shots. Now if he socres at a high percentage, then that may suggest Duncan's D would be weak, but defence isnt all about scoring averages, it is as much about making your oposition take bad shots, or just preventing your opponent from getting position.
well as history shows the spurs having ridiculous ways of beating the suns, history also shows amare scores all over duncan. a 35(ish)ppg playoff series is being owned. he's put up similar numbers against duncan this season. and i dont recall any time in recent memory amare taking enough shots to score 35 and shoot 40 percent. so don't count on that. he's not monta ellis. but if youre getting scored on a ton, you're not doing a good enough job on defense.

You can call me a homer is you like. But that would just illustrate how little of a clue you have. I am from Windsor Ontario Canada, which is further from SanAntonio than Phoenix is, and I actually like to see Nash do well since he is Canadian, but as an unbiased fan of the game, I see the match-up going the Spurs way.

If you think Richardson is "on fire" right now. Fine. If you think Lopez is a better center than anybody on the Spurs when both the starting and back up center on the Spurs have higher rebounding averages, ok. If you think Hill will slow down Ginobili, ok. If you think Amare will outplay Duncan, so be it. And if you think Nash has the legs with his back up PG to out play the Hill/Parker rotation, ok. But I'm a take the Spurs on this hands down.
your center statistics were off, let me remind you again. you may be a fan of the nba but you certainly havent watched many suns games if you think nash doesnt have the legs to keep up with parker and hill. and you obviously havent seen many games if you dont realize the influence of lopez as our starting center. this is evident by your suggesting that frye is the starter, and making up a nonexistent player named brooks. if you're not a homer, you're a pretty poor nba fan, or you just dont watch the suns.
Cheers

cheers.

sunnydayin'zona
04-28-2010, 02:16 AM
x

THE MTL
04-28-2010, 02:40 AM
I dont see it, but one thing I learned with the Spurs is that you NEVER count them out. This is a team built for the postseason and resiliency and maturity of this team can never be overlooked.

ElMarroAfamado
04-28-2010, 04:32 AM
oh god here we go

montazingmvp
04-28-2010, 05:47 AM
i believe that the world doesn't really care all that much about basketball...

sventhedog
04-28-2010, 08:37 AM
as much as i want the spurs to win. the lakers are still the favorite amidst all this news about them losing their edge or ineffective bench. they still have the best lineup. their length is sufficient to cover all their weaknesses. the spurs unfortunately don't have that luxury.

JasonJohnHorn
04-28-2010, 08:43 AM
cheers.

Sorry about the Brook thing, I get Robyn confused with his brother.
Frye was a starter, he is still in the rotation, and yes, Lopez has been starting the better part of the season. As for McDysse being old and getting tired... he's no spring chicken but they guy has amazing cnditioning, a high basketball IQ, and wont have a proble handling Lopez should the two meet. And if he does get tired, Blair will help him out. How important Lopez is to the Suns doesnt change the fact they guy that his reb-per are lower than both McDysse (the Spurs starter) and Blair (their back-up). and his 8 points a game off of dunks and lay-ups... not something I'm sure most Spurs fans would be worried about.

And whether or not Grant Hill and Manu play the same role to their respective teams is not the point, the point is that they will be matching up agaisnt each other. you agree that Ducan and Amare will be matching up and that Jeffersona dn Richardson will likely be matching up as well, which leaves Hill and Manu head-to-head, Manu, who by the way, has been starting as of late. And Manu is no slouch on D.

as for watching games, I happened to catch a few Suns games this year (I always make sure to watch as many as I can because I'm a huge Nash fan). And I have been impressed with them all year, but the bottom line is they have overachieved. I'd put Nash in top three for MVP voting if it were up to me (though LBJ is a clear cut number one selection in my opinion), but Nash have shown in the past that when the playoffs role around and the Suns have to play a seven game series, they have a hard time overcoming their deficiences, and in turn have never been able to get to the finals (and yes, that Robert Horry thing was a d!ck move and cost the Suns the series- you wont get any arguement from me on that).

Nash will run around like mad, because his conditioning is amazing, but by saying he doesnt have the legs to keep up with a Hill/Parker rotation, i was speaking more about defence. Nash will lead all players in assists should the two meet up, because that is his game (much like Amare will likely lead all scorers), be Parker's game is a lot about driving to the hole and socring or kicking it out to somebody who then makes an extra pass to get the ball to an open player. Nash wont be able to stop that.

As for the Duncan Amare match-up, I seem to remember a game earleir this season where Duncan score 34 points (15 over his average) on 63% shooting (13% over this season's average) and also happened to pull down 22 board. Amare: 28 points on 53% shooting and 10 boards... good game, but I think it could be argued QUANTFIABLE that Duncan outplayed Amare. So... I'm sure most Spurs fans are not terrible concerned about that match-up. And the game where Amare borke out for 40+ The Suns lost that one, and Duncan still shot a higher percentage than his season average, where as Amare did not. And in 08 when the two played each other, Amare had his lowest FG% for the playoffs EVER! 48%, which was better than 10% lower than his regular season average. And his scoring average also dipped from the regular season that year, as did his rebounds (slightly). So yeah, Duncan knows how to play defence on that guy. Opening game that series Duncan dropped 40 on Amare. When does duncan ever drop 40 points? Oh, when a defensive liability lets him shoot 66% from the floor! Thats when. Next game, Duncan pulled down 17 rebounds! Amare: 7. Game 4: Amare is held to 7 points! SINGLE DIGITS!!!!! And 23% shooting? And the final game of that series Duncan outscored Amare 29:15.

So... um... anyways.

Yeah... I'll be pulling for Nash, but if I was headed to a bookie, I'd be putting my money on the Spurs.

That said; the Spurs still need to take care of the Mavs and the Suns the Blazers before this will even be worht talking about.

PatsSoxKnicks
04-28-2010, 08:53 AM
it would be no surprise now if they made it to the wcf. the big question mark this season for the spurs was whether they had aged or were just saving their energy for the playoffs. looks like they were just waiting for the playoffs.

Yup, I think its pretty obvious they were just waiting for the playoffs. From their standpoint, there's no point in using extra energy in the regular season with the age of their players, especially knowing that they can win on the road so being a lower seed isn't a big deal for them.

PatsSoxKnicks
04-28-2010, 09:01 AM

As a unbiased fan, the Spurs are the better team and will probably beat the Suns. I would say its more likely you are being a homer for thinking the suns will beat the spurs.

And I know this is tough to take but considering all the times the suns and spurs have met in the playoffs, why would this year be any different? This Spurs team could be one of the better ones and this Suns team isn't as good as some of the earlier ones. So again, why would the outcome be different?

The Spurs don't give a **** about the regular season, neither did the Celtics, neither did the Lakers, its all about the playoffs. Mavs beat the Spurs 3-1 in the regular season, that's not really helping them now. Sorry, but the playoffs are totally different.

Also, since the Suns don't really play defense, why would they beat the Spurs? Half their guys don't even try playing defense. 19th in defensive efficiency and its not like they'll suddenly start trying to play defense.

Don't get me wrong, I will be rooting for the Suns (should this series happen), I'd like to see Nash get a ring. It's just not going to happen.

MacFitz92
04-28-2010, 09:06 AM
As a unbiased fan, the Spurs are the better team and will probably beat the Suns. I would say its more likely you are being a homer for thinking the suns will beat the spurs.

And I know this is tough to take but considering all the times the suns and spurs have met in the playoffs, why would this year be any different? This Spurs team could be one of the better ones and this Suns team isn't as good as some of the earlier ones. So again, why would the outcome be different?

The Spurs don't give a **** about the regular season, neither did the Celtics, neither did the Lakers, its all about the playoffs. Mavs beat the Spurs 3-1 in the regular season, that's not really helping them now. Sorry, but the playoffs are totally different.

Don't get me wrong, I will be rooting for the Suns (should this series happen), I'd like to see Nash get a ring. It's just not going to happen.

You guys act like the Spurs v. Mavs series is over. Dirk Nowitzki might have something to say about that.

PatsSoxKnicks
04-28-2010, 09:13 AM
You guys act like the Spurs v. Mavs series is over. Dirk Nowitzki might have something to say about that.

I actually don't believe its over, I'm just saying if things end up the way they are right now. I predicted this series would go 7 games and I would not be surprised to see it go 7 games at all. Both teams can win on the road. I think the next 2 games (if game 7 happens) will be really good games.

The question is will Dirk get the help. That's been the question all along with the Mavs. We know Dirk will put up good numbers, he's a good playoff performer, contrary to what most people seem to believe.

JasonJohnHorn
04-28-2010, 11:43 AM

Excellent point. I'm pulling for the Spurs, and I think they can get it done, but this Mavs team is deep and winning three games in a row is something they've been doing all season long. Dirk is a talented player (even if I dont think the Mavs will win with Dirk as the first option- as you have me quoted saying), but they got a great defender in Marion, a great scorer off the bench (Terry) three-point threats, and big bodies to throw around.

This series is not over by a long shot.

PatsSoxKnicks
04-28-2010, 11:58 AM
Excellent point. I'm pulling for the Spurs, and I think they can get it done, but this Mavs team is deep and winning three games in a row is something they've been doing all season long. Dirk is a talented player (even if I dont think the Mavs will win with Dirk as the first option- as you have me quoted saying), but they got a great defender in Marion, a great scorer off the bench (Terry) three-point threats, and big bodies to throw around.

This series is not over by a long shot.

I disagree with you here, I think too much blame is put at Dirk's feet, when in reality, if you look at his playoff numbers, they're outstanding. He just gets no help. It's not really his fault.

Plus, in 2006, they got to the finals, and ran into a Jordan-esque performance from Wade. It's like saying the Jazz could never win with Malone as their first option, they got to the finals and ran into MJ. Similar type situation.

Dirk's had talent around him, but maybe never the best mix of players. If Billups can win as the #1 option, why can't Dirk?

GSW Hoops
04-28-2010, 12:24 PM
Let's let them get out of the opening round first...

MikefromMars
04-28-2010, 02:37 PM
Let's let them get out of the opening round first...

Ha well said. I wasn't too shocked about the victory, but shocked about how early Pop gave in and the blow out in general.

I will be at game 6, as I have been every other home game, and hopefully I will leave with a smile on my face. :D

futureman
04-28-2010, 04:29 PM
If by some miracle the Jazz get past the lakers, they have nothing to fear from SA and I will get you 2 reasons for that.

1. The Jazz swept the season series against SA.
2. The Jazz would have homecourt advantage if they were to face each other in the playoffs.

tdunk21
04-28-2010, 04:45 PM
If by some miracle the Jazz get past the lakers, they have nothing to fear from SA and I will get you 2 reasons for that.

1. The Jazz swept the season series against SA.
2. The Jazz would have homecourt advantage if they were to face each other in the playoffs.

jazz cant...

JasonJohnHorn
04-28-2010, 09:09 PM
I disagree with you here, I think too much blame is put at Dirk's feet, when in reality, if you look at his playoff numbers, they're outstanding. He just gets no help. It's not really his fault.

Plus, in 2006, they got to the finals, and ran into a Jordan-esque performance from Wade. It's like saying the Jazz could never win with Malone as their first option, they got to the finals and ran into MJ. Similar type situation.

Dirk's had talent around him, but maybe never the best mix of players. If Billups can win as the #1 option, why can't Dirk?

I can respect this opinion, even if I dont agree with it entirely. It is possible for many different teams to win if they get the right match-ups in the playoffs. The Pistons won because of their defence, not because Billups was their first option. I think Hamilton was their leading scorer, so he was the "first option" (Billups was the first option for ball handling duties, Hamilton was the first option for scoring). But that was a "team" effort, much like the Spurs, who on a given night could have one of three or foru guys lead in scoring.

The Mavs, from what i've seen over the years, need Dirk to lead in scoring and play well to win. He is a great player, one of the best over the last ten years easily, but his best chance to win has passed him by. Part of the problem is that the Mavs have never had a legit center, and also because Cuban has let guys like Nash and Finley go (if they had those guys over the last few seasons along with Harris, Howard, Terry and Marion- just imagine how amazing that team would be, even with a hole at center).

Dirk is amazing. And he could have won a title as the first option, but he didnt. The Malone comparison is fair to a degree, but Malone/Stockton's Jazz were hammered by the officials and made back-to-baclk finals and appeared in the conference finals several times beside, and the Mavs havent done that, nor has Dirk ever played alongside a player as great as Stockton (who was really the first option when it came to handling the ball).